Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14
Re: Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor - The Cutting Room in NYC, November 7-9
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:02

Taylor deserves EVERYTHING good coming his way right now. Any "punishment" fans or Mick J (or Keith? I dunno) thinks he deserved has been paid over and over again. This includes self-inflicted and/or by the band.I also think the above mention of "he quit the band-he isn't a Stone" is as ignorant a statement as saying Bill isn't a Stone anymore. MT might not have came in with them but he definitely was there for the birth of "The Greatest R n R Band In The World" period. Bless Ronnie too for appearing to be the driving force behind getting him back in the spotlight!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:07

Notable people in the audience I saw:

John McEnroe
Micky Dolenz
Earl Slick

others?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:09

A clean n Sober Ronnie and a Clean n Sober Mick T make beautiful music together.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:11

schillid

John McEnroe
Micky Dolenz
Earl Slick

others?

Never heard of the latter two. Besides, who cares about 'famous' people. I only care about useful people.

Date: November 10, 2013 22:14

kleermaker
schillid

John McEnroe... TENNIS PLAYER
Micky Dolenz... former MONKEE
Earl Slick... GUITARIST WITH DAVID BOWIE

others?
Besides, who cares about 'famous' people.

Agreed.. we were all there for the music

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:14

little steven walked in with his wife. pierre from WMMR

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:22

scottkeef
I also think the above mention of "he quit the band-he isn't a Stone" is as ignorant a statement as saying Bill isn't a Stone anymore.

It's not ignorant, just factual, but it wasn't said like that anyway. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 22:30 by His Majesty.

Date: November 10, 2013 22:58

Taylor and Wood have always played beautifully together. They still do.

When I heard Crotch Music for the first time, I was blown away.

These clips are great thumbs up

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 10, 2013 23:44

Something I think shouldn't be underestimated is that the vast majority of the crowd last night seemed to be expecting Keith--there were almost mob scenes right before the show, people trying to get tickets etc., all around me people were saying they had solid info KR would be there, etc. And Ronnie and Mick STILL killed, rather than people going away disappointed. :-)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 10, 2013 23:49

Yes, I agree Doxa, Keith was not needed and he would have squashed Ronnie's great mood. Still, I am glad I didn't make the effort to go with the first show 55 minutes! Really? I don't accept that excuse about the second night....were they saving their chops and energy for the second show? That's not right! With all of the material to pull from, even 90 minutes is a cheat.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 10, 2013 23:55

Ronnie and Mick T have got a reputation now as a double act, just after a few gigs. They got a big choice of a drummer,bass player and keyboard man, as a live act .

Blues music is their thing,but whatever they fancy playing would be fine.
Great musicians. >grinning smiley<

Date: November 11, 2013 00:02

TWO bass players! Ronnie said he was very proud of that.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 11, 2013 00:20

kleermaker
schillid

John McEnroe
Micky Dolenz
Earl Slick

others?

Never heard of the latter two. Besides, who cares about 'famous' people. I only care about useful people.

Micky Dolenz was the drummer for The Monkees and sang lead on several of their hit songs including Last Train To Clarksville and Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Earl Slick is a New York-based session musician who played on John Lennon's Double Fantasy sessions. David Bowie hired him as Mick Ronson's replacement for the Diamond Dogs tour of 1974 and plays guitar on Bowie's Young Americans and Station to Station albums and also played on Bowie's 1983 Serious Moonlight Tour. He has also played with several other well-known artists.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2013 00:28

Never heard of Micky Dolenz...

Before The Monkees he started out as Corky in the TV show Circus Boy ......

........................PS that's Micky on the right ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 01:51 by Rockman.

Date: November 11, 2013 00:32

crawdaddy
Ronnie and Mick T have got a reputation now as a double act, just after a few gigs. They got a big choice of a drummer,bass player and keyboard man, as a live act .

Maybe they can do Sway together, Ronnie playing the first solo better than during the last Stones tour and Mick having more room to finish the song properly. They can pick many other songs as well. Would be interesting.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: November 11, 2013 00:35

kleermaker

I would say Earl Slick comes in very "useful" if you have an appreciation for great guitar playing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 01:03 by SundanceKid.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 11, 2013 01:05

schillid

John McEnroe
Micky Dolenz
Earl Slick

others?

Bill German, I hear.

And wasn't Steven Van Zandt there, too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 01:09 by Beast.

Date: November 11, 2013 01:07

schillid was there

seen him in the men's room

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 01:09 by schillid.

Date: November 11, 2013 01:10

schillid
schillid was there

seen him in the men's room

Did you get his signature?

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: November 11, 2013 01:13

Tommy Hilfiger was there.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 11, 2013 02:33

kleermaker
crawdaddy

Maybe they can do Sway together, Ronnie playing the first solo better than during the last Stones tour and Mick having more room to finish the song properly. They can pick many other songs as well. Would be interesting.

Now comes the disagreement...grinning smiley I say: just leave all the Jagger/Richards material out. The less they have direct connection with the Rolling Stones, the better. I mean, people are now going to their gigs in the hope of if Keith or Mick will turn up, and if they'd now play Stones tunes, the more they are going to miss the 'big boys'... And any Stones tune without those two guys - at least one of them - is going to be a torso, no matter how well Ronnie or Taylor do their part. Just do your own thing (and like they have done and blown the audiences away! Really heart-warming to hear that they really managed to do that despite the crowd waiting for Keith Richards! Music wins!). Let the Stones - Mick and Keith - take care about the Stones material.

People are guessing if Ronnie is now integrating Taylor more to the Stones. What about if it goes other way round... And the headlines will scream tomorrow: RONNIE WOOD LEFT THE ROLLING STONES TO FORM A GROUP WITH ANOTHER EX-ROLLING STONE!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 02:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 11, 2013 02:53

THERE IS NO DENYING THAT MICK TAYLOR IS BACK BEING A ROLLING STONE.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 11, 2013 03:00

Loudei
THERE IS NO DENYING THAT MICK TAYLOR IS BACK BEING A ROLLING STONE.

Just because he is playing Jimmy Reed stuff with an official member of the Rolling Stones...?

But I get what you mean... But for me he has always been a Rolling Stone...cool smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 11, 2013 04:22

Ronnie may be an active Stone but there is more to his musical history than that. It's fair to say he coasted through 2 decades in the band but he's trying to rebuild his reputation as a musician and from what i saw and heard he's doing a great job. I didn't catch a bum note from either guitarist which is also un Stones like... Keith's absence is noteworthy because these are his guitar mates and he could have attended. Woody was slick, he kept the whole Glimmer thing at arms distance by producing and creating a Jimmy Reed tribute where Stones songs didn't belong. Still there was some fine guitar weaving and an authentic British groove. A show like this doesn't come along that often, I was pleasantly surprised at the excellence I witnessed. Great, great drumming plus Al Cooper on B-3 before my very eyes. The double bass bit kind of limited each player to roots and simple stuff but like I said the groove was ferocious, not the typical blues jam instead more like those early London days where these guys cut their teeth. I didn't miss Keith, in fact I have a new respect for Wood as he tries to put the poser nonchalance behind him. Richards should watch his back, if Jagger sang with this group there'd be a band that more matched these guys age and position as respected musicians no matter what they called it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 04:24 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: November 11, 2013 04:32

Those videos are amazing, what fabulous shows both in London and NYC! I had no idea that Ronnie was such an accomplished harmonica player too, after watching all this stuff I'm convinced the Stones don't nearly use him to his full potential.

I agree with other posters above, this was 100% Ronnie's and MT's gig with their band, no need for any additional Stones. If especially either MJ or Keith had shown up it would have totally shifted focus away from Ronnie and that would have been a great injustice. This was not a Stones show, the focus was on Jimmy Reed's music and time for Ronnie, MT et al to shine.

Now my only hope is that Ronnie will read all the great reviews and hopefully bring this gig to out to the west coast, I would love to see them.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 11, 2013 04:45

Whenever there are shows in NYC, in the last several years anyway, with back up personnel or in this case, a Rolling Stone and someone who used to be a Rolling Stone and played on this tour (yay!), there are rumors that Keith will show up. When he does, what I've noticed, mostly from reading others' accounts, are two things--first, if he shows, he sits in the audience, and second, his presence becomes the focus, outside and inside. I think he does not want to detract from the show going on or distract members of the audience from the players onstage.

Most people I know who bought tickets were not counting on Keith showing up at all. Well, there's probably always the hope, however faint.

(T and T, excellent post, didn't see it when I posted mine, very well said, about Ronnie and all!)

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 04:46 by angee.

Date: November 11, 2013 07:19

angee
his presence becomes the focus, outside and inside. I think he does not want to detract from the show going on or distract members of the audience from the players onstage.

Given that Jane Rose was there Thursday and Friday nights, I'd like to think that this is the conclusion that she and Keith came to. smiling smiley (Sucks a bit for him, though, not being able to go out and see a show without becoming a sideshow attraction. Price of fame, I guess.)

Edit: Apparently Jane Rose was there last night, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 08:15 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: November 11, 2013 07:28

I have to note how great I think Mick Taylor's rhythm playing is on these dates. The close-up video of Big Boss Man really showcases this. He keeps his rhythm parts fluid, intricate and interesting, and he clearly listens to everyone in the band for changes in dynamics. It's a joy to see this bunch making a "raqcket", I hope that Ronaldo and Mick keep up this partnership in some way. They seem to gel with one another as good as any two blues guitar players around.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 10:01

What amps or other gear were they each using...can anyone advise?

Date: November 11, 2013 10:15

DREAMTIME

It's time for the Ronnie-bashers to come forward and say: "I was wrong" grinning smiley

Lovely! It's so good to see Ronnie and Taylor having a blast, making great music thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home