Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
Re: Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor - The Cutting Room in NYC, November 7-9
Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 11, 2013 15:47

wow, this is really great stuff

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 11, 2013 16:37

Honest I Do (Cutting Room- Sat 11/9/13)

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 11, 2013 18:57

thanks so much, Lien . great version of Honest i do !!! Makes me wanna cry and hit for the bottle and a smoke. although i stopped smoking for 3 months now.

great music for the soul

Thanks

jeroen

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 11, 2013 19:08

DandelionPowderman
DREAMTIME

It's time for the Ronnie-bashers to come forward and say: "I was wrong" grinning smiley

Lovely! It's so good to see Ronnie and Taylor having a blast, making great music thumbs up

You mix up ad hominem comments and comments about Ronnie functioning in the Stones, which has nothing to do with bashing at all. I mean, the fact that he's playing great with Taylor has nothing to do with his playing in the Stones. Or should we all in a sudden like his playing in the Stones because he's done a good job with Taylor (o well, is that a coincidence or does Taylor also make Ronnie play better?!).

Date: November 11, 2013 19:16

Doxa
kleermaker
crawdaddy
Ronnie and Mick T have got a reputation now as a double act, just after a few gigs. They got a big choice of a drummer,bass player and keyboard man, as a live act .

Blues music is their thing,but whatever they fancy playing would be fine.
Great musicians. >grinning smiley<

Maybe they can do Sway together, Ronnie playing the first solo better than during the last Stones tour and Mick having more room to finish the song properly. They can pick many other songs as well. Would be interesting.

Now comes the disagreement...grinning smiley I say: just leave all the Jagger/Richards material out. The less they have direct connection with the Rolling Stones, the better. I mean, people are now going to their gigs in the hope of if Keith or Mick will turn up, and if they'd now play Stones tunes, the more they are going to miss the 'big boys'... And any Stones tune without those two guys - at least one of them - is going to be a torso, no matter how well Ronnie or Taylor do their part. Just do your own thing (and like they have done and blown the audiences away! Really heart-warming to hear that they really managed to do that despite the crowd waiting for Keith Richards! Music wins!). Let the Stones - Mick and Keith - take care about the Stones material.

People are guessing if Ronnie is now integrating Taylor more to the Stones. What about if it goes other way round... And the headlines will scream tomorrow: RONNIE WOOD LEFT THE ROLLING STONES TO FORM A GROUP WITH ANOTHER EX-ROLLING STONE!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

grinning smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 11, 2013 19:18

Denny
I have to note how great I think Mick Taylor's rhythm playing is on these dates. The close-up video of Big Boss Man really showcases this. He keeps his rhythm parts fluid, intricate and interesting, and he clearly listens to everyone in the band for changes in dynamics. It's a joy to see this bunch making a "raqcket", I hope that Ronaldo and Mick keep up this partnership in some way. They seem to gel with one another as good as any two blues guitar players around.
Taylor has always been a fantastic rhythm guitarist.. His acoustic parts on songs like WH were great.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 11, 2013 19:37

Doxa
His Majesty
gotdablouse
Wow some fabulous videos here! I'm a bit surprised Taylor is so "subdued" as someone put it...I suppose he's trying to blend in and doing his best to support Ronnie. I don't really recognize the demon who pounced on stage at the O2/1 show a year ago.

He's being a better musician on these gigs. Listening, interacting, pushing and a shoving, bluesing and rolling. cool smiley

I think alike. The way he was presented in Stones shows was more like a freak show: "now Taylor, spotlight is yours, use your rare minutes under the sun well". Here Mick Taylor, a natural-born musician (more reflecting the music and interacting with the other players) is more at home.

(Not that Taylor didn't do well with the Stones as well).

- Doxa

Yeah but it seems to me (based on the circulating videos) that he's somewhat playing "second fiddle" to Ronnie...and even to Gary Clark Jr on "Shame Shame Shame" (no solos for him!). Having play rythm is not exactly the best way to "use" his talents, besides he sings just as "well" as Ronnie, hehe...

Not sure what the dynamics here are exactly. As we've seen with the 50th Taylor isn't exactly shy about going centerstage and Ronnie's always happy to defer to other musicians, so I'm still curious as to why (it appears) to be working out like that for these shows.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 11, 2013 20:45

gotdablouse

Yeah but it seems to me (based on the circulating videos) that he's somewhat playing "second fiddle" to Ronnie...and even to Gary Clark Jr on "Shame Shame Shame" (no solos for him!). Having play rythm is not exactly the best way to "use" his talents, besides he sings just as "well" as Ronnie, hehe...

Not sure what the dynamics here are exactly. As we've seen with the 50th Taylor isn't exactly shy about going centerstage and Ronnie's always happy to defer to other musicians, so I'm still curious as to why (it appears) to be working out like that for these shows.

Ronnie is definitely the bandleader of this band, although MT did play a number of solos. But he (MT) seemed a lot more relaxed than in the Stones' shows where he only got a few minutes to do his thing so it was much more intense--maybe it's just that. Saturday he was just casually bouncing around the stage, at one point playing air guitar while Al Kooper took an organ solo. grinning smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 11, 2013 21:31

Ronnie and Mick T,together with a good singer,and there are so many around, a gal as well as/or a guy,would be a great band.
Obviously got to have a bass player and drummer as well as keyboards,but they probably got the pick of the best if they fancy more live gigs.
Come on Ronnie ................give it a go if there's no Stones news soon. winking smiley

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 11, 2013 23:16

68to72
Lien

The Taylor Wood show...... Absolutely fabulous!

Obviously free from any Jagger/Richards restraints they can just get on and play!........ and they do!

They compliment each other wonderfully, they need to keep it up and play together as often as possible.

Hopefully Ronnie is just warming Mick up for future Stones gigs>grinning smiley<

WOW!!!!!

I am thrilled!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 11, 2013 23:19

gotdablouse

Ronnie is in lead vocalist role, not being the strongest singer in the world I see the band being sympathetic and supportive to suit his approach.

In other words the set up is proceeding as it is because it works for the musicians, the music and the gigs. A larger voiced singer and perhaps more muscular sound would be needed, but that would give quite different results and not all that appropriate for a tribute to Jimmy Reed.

Erm, probably. grinning smiley

It ain't broke so no need to fix it though. These gigs have a genuine warmth and authenticity to them. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 23:32 by His Majesty.

Date: November 11, 2013 23:43

His Majesty
gotdablouse

Ronnie is in lead vocalist role, not being the strongest singer in the world I see the band being sympathetic and supportive to suit his approach.

In other words the set up is proceeding as it is because it works for the musicians, the music and the gigs. A larger voiced singer and perhaps more muscular sound would be needed, but that would give quite different results and not all that appropriate for a tribute to Jimmy Reed.

Erm, probably. grinning smiley

It ain't broke so no need to fix it though. These gigs have a genuine warmth and authenticity to them. smiling smiley

Ronnie sings well enough, imo.

After all, this is Ronnie's band and project, so there isn't any wonder why other people in the band won't be playing solos all the time.

Ronnie might be the best Jimmy Reed-esque player if them as well smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 12, 2013 00:09

Of course and it sounds good when their rough singing is done together. It's apt for the tribute. cool smiley

It'd all go pear shaped if they were to introduce things like Taylor singing No Expectations though. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 00:11 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 12, 2013 03:32

Anyone know if this material is going to be released as an LP/CD? Cheers

Date: November 12, 2013 03:56

Aquamarine
gotdablouse

Ronnie is definitely the bandleader of this band, although MT did play a number of solos. But he (MT) seemed a lot more relaxed than in the Stones' shows where he only got a few minutes to do his thing so it was much more intense--maybe it's just that. Saturday he was just casually bouncing around the stage, at one point playing air guitar while Al Kooper took an organ solo. grinning smiley
Taylor/Wood they are versatile, great guitarists not just lead guitarists. At this point in time they're most interested in the groove. Heck each one of them has played a million solos at this point of their lives. They are making music and playing loose, they've learned that much from Keith. Taylor knows about setting an atmosphere or laying back. The guitar playing this night was beautifully controlled, never over the top. Kind of like 461 Ocean Blvd. or Slowhand, just the way I like it... Al Kooper should play with The Stones..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 12, 2013 04:55

DoomandGloom
Aquamarine
gotdablouse

Taylor/Wood they are versatile, great guitarists not just lead guitarists. At this point in time they're most interested in the groove. Heck each one of them has played a million solos at this point of their lives. They are making music and playing loose, they've learned that much from Keith. Taylor knows about setting an atmosphere or laying back. The guitar playing this night was beautifully controlled, never over the top. Kind of like 461 Ocean Blvd. or Slowhand, just the way I like it... Al Kooper should play with The Stones..

thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 12, 2013 15:29

From photographer Arnie Goodman. Full photoset on Facebook:

Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor Pay Tribute to Bluesman Jimmy Reed in New York City

Posted 11/10/2013 | by Brad Tolinski

While it was rumored that Keith Richards was going to make a surprise appearance, Rolling Stones guitarists Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor demonstrated that they were perfectly fine without him as they ripped through more than an hour's worth of gritty blues at an 11 p.m. show at the Cutting Room in New York City Saturday night, November 9.

Focusing primarily on the catalog of Mississippi electric blues pioneer Jimmy Reed, the tight-but-loose band, featuring keyboardist Al Kooper, Bad Company drummer Simon Kirke and two bassists (electric and upright), occasionally sounded like the classic Exile On Main Street-era Stones. But more often they recalled the earthy stomp of the great electric Chess bands from the Fifties, playing Reed classics such as “Big Boss Man” and “Bright Lights, Big City.”

During most of the evening, Wood and Taylor locked in on rhythm parts that were different, but complimentary, as they snaked and slithered around each other, avoiding lengthy solos in favor of tasty fills and sharp statements that would’ve made the economical Reed proud.

More often than not, the comically animated Wood, who sang and stood center stage, let his array of harmonicas do the majority of the soloing as he demonstrated his surprisingly fluid chops on the blues harp.

Fans of Taylor’s great solos on such Stones classics as “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” and “Ventilator Blues” weren’t completely shut out. Taylor unleashed his signature vibrato and flurries of notes on his sunburst Les Paul several times during the intimate show on songs like “I Ain’t Got You” and two instrumentals.

Wood also thrilled his diehard guitar fans by breaking out his classic black, three-pickup Zemaitis guitar from his Faces days for some lethal slide licks throughout the night.

Yes, it would’ve been grand to see Keef mix it up in a club setting with the two guitarists, but no one was complaining when the show ended well past midnight. Ronnie and Mick, as New Yorkers would say, “aren’t exactly chopped liver,” and the heartfelt performance that paid tribute to one of their heroes made the late-night show one of the best and most memorable of the year.

[www.guitarworld.com]

Date: November 12, 2013 15:53

thanks for the review
jeroen

Date: November 12, 2013 15:55

thanks for the review. great
jeroen

Date: November 12, 2013 17:21

had a great time at the @ronniewood saturday!! he's a talented performer and a smartass too - my fave combination!!

- Earl Slick

Date: November 13, 2013 00:13

Anyone who attended was extremely lucky for participating in one more great "Stones" moment, this was an amazing year for these guys. Better than any New Barbarians' shows I saw. Didn't see the winos but more fun than solo Jagger for certain.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:43

All three shows were great. The last two being the best due to their length.
I spoke with the young blond women who appeared to be taking care of the
stage after the show. She did say they are considering doing more shows
in the future. Anyway, great shows and Al Kooper was a highlight. Al's
organ jamming is becoming a lost art.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:55

swimtothemoon
in the future
. Anyway, great shows and Al Kooper was a highlight. Al's

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 13, 2013 17:03

Gary Clark, Jr.'s guest spot from November 8, with thanks to the uploader.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: November 13, 2013 19:12

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 13, 2013 22:26

bye bye johnny

09:30 - 10:00....some tasty stuff there from MT!

Date: November 13, 2013 22:34

paulywaul
swimtothemoon
in the future
. Anyway, great shows and Al Kooper was a highlight. Al's

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley
thumbs upthumbs up Al Cooper is really old school,

Date: November 13, 2013 22:52

Come to amsterdam Please.............................
jeroen

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:57

champ72
bye bye johnny

09:30 - 10:00....some tasty stuff there from MT!

So very true, bye bye johnny, mmmhmmmm! cool smiley
The man is in a class by himself up there.

thanks, champ, for posting.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: November 14, 2013 17:20

Good blues never tires!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2262
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home