Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...246247248249250251252253254255256...LastNext
Current Page: 251 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 29, 2017 00:04

HMS
Keith doesn´t stand "in the line of Cave, Waits, Cohen". He never did, never will. And he isn´t some "sort of underground writer". Never was and never will be. Cave, Waits, Cohen are artists. Poets if you will. Keith is a Rock n Roll musician. That´s all he is and ever was.

My comments are easy to understand for everybody but you. If you should think Keith is artistically in the same league as Cohen, then you are ignorant.

Keith is a much greater artist than Cohen, Waits ... Bowie, etc., etc.
Sometimes our notion of the Stones as entertainers, or Stones as cultural icons, or Stones as 'world's greatest rock 'n roll band obscures their artistry.
Mick and Keith wrote and arranged and produced some of the greatest songs in pop music history. Go look at your beat-up copy of Hot Rocks -- that's a work of art. And they've got hidden gems like Moonlight Mile and All About You all through their history.
Addendum: Not just Keith, either, Jagger is an artist, too. (And also clever enough to put that Siamese cat (Keith) on his shoulder.)

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 29, 2017 00:45

HMS
Keith doesn´t stand "in the line of Cave, Waits, Cohen". He never did, never will. And he isn´t some "sort of underground writer". Never was and never will be. Cave, Waits, Cohen are artists. Poets if you will. Keith is a Rock n Roll musician. That´s all he is and ever was.

My comments are easy to understand for everybody but you. If you should think Keith is artistically in the same league as Cohen, then you are ignorant.

Oh dear.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 29, 2017 00:47

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

Oh I understood your comments. The problem is your failure to understand what you're commenting on, which always seems to illuminate your ignorance like a thousand watt light bulb.

You don't think Keith Richards is an artist. Your stupidity is brilliant.

There are artists and artists.
The Rolling Stones are rather very very successful entertainers than artists.

HMS these comments are getting tiresome

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 14:51

Happy 2nd birthday Crosseyed Heart!!!! Two years on and this is still one of the albums that I listen to most. smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Date: September 18, 2017 15:05

Top album. Still play it a lot.

Suspicious, Robbed Blind and Lover's Plea are ace on a consistently great record.

Just A Gift and Goodnight Irene could have been omitted, imo.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 18, 2017 15:13

DandelionPowderman

Suspicious, Robbed Blind and Lover's Plea are ace on a consistently great record.

For me, it's all the songs that you just mentioned plus Illusion, which are the highlights of the album.

Date: September 18, 2017 15:20

matxil
DandelionPowderman

For me, it's all the songs that you just mentioned plus Illusion, which are the highlights of the album.

I like that one, too + many others. But the copy of the Baby Break It Down-riff on Illusion is a little too similar – to be able to enjoy it as much as the others.

Date: September 18, 2017 16:12

DandelionPowderman

Trouble and Robbed Blind were my initial favorites (and probably still are), but right now I'm really digging Heartstopper.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 18, 2017 16:20

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

I like that one, too + many others. But the copy of the Baby Break It Down-riff on Illusion is a little too similar – to be able to enjoy it as much as the others.

You got a point there, although it actually made me appreciate Baby Break It Down more. Illusion sort of showed the strength of that riff.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2017 16:21

Voodookitten76
Happy 2nd birthday Crosseyed Heart!!!! Two years on and this is still one of the albums that I listen to most. smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

I haven't listened to this album for quite a while so this is a perfect time to do that again. thumbs up

Date: September 18, 2017 16:31

Voodookitten76
DandelionPowderman

Trouble and Robbed Blind were my initial favorites (and probably still are), but right now I'm really digging Heartstopper.

It took me a while to get into Trouble. It's more complex than it seems. Love it!

Musically, Trouble, Heartstopper, Amnesia, Nothing On Me and Blues In The Morning are Stones-tunes, really. Of stellar quality, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 16:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 18, 2017 16:58

DandelionPowderman
Voodookitten76
DandelionPowderman

It took me a while to get into Trouble. It's more complex than it seems. Love it!

Musically, Trouble, Heartstopper, Amnesia, Nothing On Me and Blues In The Morning are Stones-tunes, really. Of stellar quality, too!

It's funny how these things overlap, what songs get on which albums. Trouble and Heartstopper both sound like Stones songs to me, too, but then something like Can't Be Seen sounds more like a Keith solo song to me, like it belongs more on Talk is Cheap.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 18, 2017 17:21

DandelionPowderman
Voodookitten76
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

Couldn't agree more .

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 18, 2017 18:11

Spud
DandelionPowderman
Voodookitten76
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

Couldn't agree more .

Same here, liked it much more after 6 months

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 18:34

@ Georgelicks

Has it then reached 400K worldwide?!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 18, 2017 19:38

Played it last nite for the first time in about six months and to me it's still the best Stones/ stones related music since Tattoo You

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 18, 2017 19:45

A fantastic album. Yes, best since...Tattoo you... :-D

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2017 20:06

The entire album is a winner and provided some great listening for months after release - I still consider it a masterpiece, and hearing it now is just as satisfying. The soundtrack for the late summer and Fall of 2015, and easily the best Stones related album since Tattoo You. If the Stones as a band can ever get it together for a new album, they have their work cut out for them if they want to come close to the overall quality of Crosseyed Heart. Doubtful they can imo considering the soap opera that's taken place so far, not to mention all the other Stones albums since Tattoo You which have always felt unnatural and forced resulting in something mediocre at best.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 18, 2017 20:23

Overall very good album. Still give a spin at least once a month. Definitively much better than the latest group attempts. Easily - the best Stones related material in past 3 decades.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:14

Hairball
The entire album is a winner and provided some great listening for months after release - I still consider it a masterpiece, and hearing it now is just as satisfying. The soundtrack for the late summer and Fall of 2015, and easily the best Stones related album since Tattoo You. If the Stones as a band can ever get it together for a new album, they have their work cut out for them if they want to come close to the overall quality of Crosseyed Heart. Doubtful they can imo considering the soap opera that's taken place so far, not to mention all the other Stones albums since Tattoo You which have always felt unnatural and forced resulting in something mediocre at best.

Come on, does crosseyed heart really beat Talk is cheap? Certainly not.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:30

deardoctor
Hairball

So much time in between it's tough to compare. They are both equally great IMO, but CH is Keith as an elder statesman. I think Main Offender trumps them both.(ducking)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:34

deardoctor
Hairball

For me, Crosseyed Heart had a greater impact and left a bigger impression on me.
Hard to be objective with this as it's only my opinion, but the two were released at different periods of my life and therefore have a different context which can sometimes influence one's opinion.
I certainly loved Talk is Cheap and it held the place as the best Stones related album since Tattoo You for a long time...until Crosseyed Heart came out. winking smiley
That said, I think You Don't Move Me as an individual song is better than any individual song from Crosseyed Heart, but if comparing the albums as a whole, I lean towards Crosseyed Heart - for a variety of reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 21:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 18, 2017 22:01

From a man who's not "prolific", Keith sure has put out some quality stuff. More to hopefully come next year.....thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2017 22:39

Crosseyed Heart was a clunker. Bill's recent Back to Basics is a better album, and has a real single in 'What & How & If & When & Why'.

Date: September 18, 2017 22:43

24FPS
Crosseyed Heart was a clunker. Bill's recent Back to Basics is a better album, and has a real single in 'What & How & If & When & Why'.

Gotta hand it to you, 24FPS! You're the Bill-fan #1 on this forum grinning smiley thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 22:52

Love the album but IMO Talk is cheap and especially Main Offender are far better.
3,5 /5. Agree with this review.
[www.rollingstone.com]

Ps : Waddy Wachtel is just a fantastic guitarist

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 22:57 by powerage78.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:02

Still enjoy this record to this day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 23:03 by wickerman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:11

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Gotta hand it to you, 24FPS! You're the Bill-fan #1 on this forum grinning smiley thumbs up

Probably, but it's also true. The lack of emotion or drive, or anything resembling presence in the bottom of the Stones rhythm section makes their music less appealing nowadays. There used to be a dust of magic in something that each individual Stone had, until Bill left. Something from the heart, and just a pinch of genius, including players like Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, and even Ian Stewart.

I would love to read an interview with Bill where he just talks about playing bass. It was such an integral part of the Stones sound, yet little attention has been paid to it. Of course I haven't read a good interview with Charlie either about drumming. I know Bill never looked as glamorous as the other decadent Stones, but he was every bit on par with all of them as a musician and as an artist. In a hundred years when they write about the Stones, they might mention Keith played a few good bass parts here and there, but Bill will get his due, and his replacement will be a foot note.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:37

Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

For me, Crosseyed Heart had a greater impact and left a bigger impression on me.
Hard to be objective with this as it's only my opinion, but the two were released at different periods of my life and therefore have a different context which can sometimes influence one's opinion.
I certainly loved Talk is Cheap and it held the place as the best Stones related album since Tattoo You for a long time...until Crosseyed Heart came out. winking smiley
That said, I think You Don't Move Me as an individual song is better than any individual song from Crosseyed Heart, but if comparing the albums as a whole, I lean towards Crosseyed Heart - for a variety of reasons.

I guess that's the point: it' s all subjective, just opinions. For me,there are, especially in the first half of CH great tunes but also few fillers in the second half. Talk is cheap: every song a Killer. Compare Blues in the morning with could have stood you up and you know what I mean.

Date: September 18, 2017 23:42

deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

I guess that's the point: it' s all subjective, just opinions. For me,there are, especially in the first half of CH great tunes but also few fillers in the second half. Talk is cheap: every song a Killer. Compare Blues in the morning with could have stood you up and you know what I mean.

I actually prefer Blues In The Morning to ICHSYU. And Rockawhile is filler on Talk Is Chep, imo.

I agree about a couple of songs in the second half of Crosseyed Heart, though. Without Just A Gift (nice as it is - but the other ballads are superior, imo) and Goodnight Irene could easily have been skipped.

The warmness of Crosseyed Heart is lacking in the production of Talk Is Cheap, to my ears.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...246247248249250251252253254255256...LastNext
Current Page: 251 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home