Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...244245246247248249250251252253254...LastNext
Current Page: 249 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:54

DandelionPowderman
latebloomer
24FPS
Just didn't move me. Wyman's record was better.

Really?

I can't hear that, either, but if you're a fan, you're a fan smiling smiley

A bit of deja vu...
Seems we've been down this road before in this thread, but to refresh:

Uncut-Jun 22, 2015
Wyman and his band soon settle into a series of mid-tempo songs whose predictable arrangements are matched by bland lyrics and a voice that sounds like it would much rather be someplace else.

Record Collector-Jun 22, 2015
Sadly, Wyman can neither sing nor write a decent song.

Q Magazine - Jul 1, 2015
Back To Basics' pub-rock charm wears thin pretty quickly.

But to each his own, and as Dandelion states "if you're a fan, you're a fan"!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 21:19

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
latebloomer
24FPS
Just didn't move me. Wyman's record was better.

Really?

I can't hear that, either, but if you're a fan, you're a fan smiling smiley

A bit of deja vu...
Seems we've been down this road before in this thread, but to refresh:

Uncut-Jun 22, 2015
Wyman and his band soon settle into a series of mid-tempo songs whose predictable arrangements are matched by bland lyrics and a voice that sounds like it would much rather be someplace else.

Record Collector-Jun 22, 2015
Sadly, Wyman can neither sing nor write a decent song.

Q Magazine - Jul 1, 2015
Back To Basics' pub-rock charm wears thin pretty quickly.

But to each his own, and as Dandelion states "if you're a fan, you're a fan"!

I can confirm that 24FPS is a Wyman fan ;-)

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: January 7, 2017 16:06

Just listened to the bootleg recording of the rehearsals of the second Perth show. Just before All Down The Line they do a jam built around Keith's Substantial Damage riff. Then Mick kicks in with some harmonica. I think this song would have been perfect for the Stones.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 7, 2017 16:56

Let the Stones do covers and Keith can put out solid solo material.

Date: January 7, 2017 18:05

MonkeyMan2000
Just listened to the bootleg recording of the rehearsals of the second Perth show. Just before All Down The Line they do a jam built around Keith's Substantial Damage riff. Then Mick kicks in with some harmonica. I think this song would have been perfect for the Stones.

Might have been If You Can't Rock Me, as the SD-riff is almost identical smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 7, 2017 18:18

Maindefender

Maybe solid, but in my view verging on boring.
There it is, finally, I was not able to keep my silence about it any longer.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: January 7, 2017 18:28

DandelionPowderman
MonkeyMan2000

Might have been If You Can't Rock Me, as the SD-riff is almost identical smiling smiley

Haha, I know, but the ending of the riff is different. And Keith plays it the same way as on SD. I guess he recorded it around the same time.

Date: January 7, 2017 19:20

Maindefender

Solid solo material indeed.

Crosseyed Heart = originality, creativity, and vitality.
Blue and Lonesome = decent/average blues covers.

I still listen to Crosseyed Heart (and always will), while B&L has already been shelved.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2017 20:47

I think Robbed Blind is one of Keith's best songs. Solo and Stones.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 8, 2017 21:03

I wonder whether Keith got Goodnight Irene from Ry Cooder. I know Cooder released that as late as 1976. This only means he has recorded it then but not that he might have played it to Keith in 68/69.
Funny though, Ry had covered It's All Over Now in 1974. I'm sure he was more acquainted with the Stones version then with the one of Bobby Womack.
Or George Jones? Or Gram Parsons? Any suggestions welcome.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 8, 2017 21:12

JJHMick
I wonder whether Keith got Goodnight Irene from Ry Cooder. I know Cooder released that as late as 1976. This only means he has recorded it then but not that he might have played it to Keith in 68/69.
Funny though, Ry had covered It's All Over Now in 1974. I'm sure he was more acquainted with the Stones version then with the one of Bobby Womack.
Or George Jones? Or Gram Parsons? Any suggestions welcome.

Lead Belly Book Inspired Keith Richards' "Goodnight Irene" Cover

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 8, 2017 21:28

Thank you, Cristiano!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 8, 2017 21:42

Witness your not alone. I also find Crosseyed Heart boring. I wanted to love it and was so excited to listen to it. Yet it left me somewhat bored and wishing for more of a punch. It is for the most part a somewhat mellow meandering album. Some interesting stuff, but nothing that really made me sit up and cheer for Keith's return. I think part of it is that it took him so long to write it, and it feels somewhat cobbled together of bits and pieces to make an album.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 8, 2017 23:49

CH is solid, but it is too long. A few songs are boring indeed. Kick off them fillers.

"originality, creativity, and vitality."

Vitality? A bit, especially for a man in his 70s.
Originality, creativity? Not very much, imo. It´s the usual stuff, it follows pretty much the path of MO or the songs he´s written and sung on Stones albums over the last 35 years. Nothing new really. Some songs sound indeed like they were recorded during TIC/MO-sessions or like unused leftovers from those sessions.

Most of it is enjoyable but Blue And Lonesome is the real thing and oh so much more enjoyable. Blue And Lonesome sounds vital indeed.

Date: January 9, 2017 01:06

HMS - original songs equate to creativity , and you can compare Crosseyed Heart however you want to the rest of Keith's recorded output of the past, but that doesn't negate the originality and creativity factor.
And then you go on to say Blue and Lonesome is "the real thing" which is a bit mysterious. They're decent covers of old tried and true blues tunes - where is the originality and creativity in recording covers? How can covers be considered 'the real thing'? They knocked them off in a couple of days in one or two takes as if it was a warm up or rehearsal. Again, decent covers, but if you really want "the real thing", maybe listen to the originals that truly embody originality and creativity. Not saying you're wrong in finding the blues covers 'oh so much much more enjoyable' than Keith's originals (you are not alone), but I happen to think otherwise. thumbs up

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 9, 2017 02:34

whitem8
Witness your not alone. I also find Crosseyed Heart boring. I wanted to love it and was so excited to listen to it. Yet it left me somewhat bored and wishing for more of a punch. It is for the most part a somewhat mellow meandering album. Some interesting stuff, but nothing that really made me sit up and cheer for Keith's return. I think part of it is that it took him so long to write it, and it feels somewhat cobbled together of bits and pieces to make an album.

I have to agree as well. Although "Amnesia" and "Substantial Damage" are both absolutely brilliant, IMO.

Drew

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 9, 2017 11:57

Maindefender

Or let all of them do solo material, which is where they have been at their most creative the past 30 years. Even though I don't like Mick Jagger's stuff, if the guy wants to do that, he should. Keith made a big mistake critisising him so much for it, he should have focussed on his own solo work. I, for one, would have preferred 10 solo albums by Keith instead of only 3 and anything he's done with the Stones since Tattoo You (or maybe since Undercover).

Date: January 9, 2017 12:05

Hairball
HMS - original songs equate to creativity , and you can compare Crosseyed Heart however you want to the rest of Keith's recorded output of the past, but that doesn't negate the originality and creativity factor.

I completely agree. And I think Keith has developed quite a special knack for his own brand of soul-songs, almost like a genre of his own, where his voice (which obviously is limited in some ways) actually works very well. Songs like "Hate It When You Leave" from MO, and CH's "Suspicious", "Illusion", "Lover's Plea" deserve a lot more attention. Could there be anything more creative than actually develop a music style and add to its evolution?

Date: January 9, 2017 12:06

matxil
Maindefender

Or let all of them do solo material, which is where they have been at their most creative the past 30 years. Even though I don't like Mick Jagger's stuff, if the guy wants to do that, he should. Keith made a big mistake critisising him so much for it, he should have focussed on his own solo work. I, for one, would have preferred 10 solo albums by Keith instead of only 3 and anything he's done with the Stones since Tattoo You (or maybe since Undercover).

As Rolling Stones fans it's only natural that we want them to do something together?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 9, 2017 14:05

Hairball
And then you go on to say Blue and Lonesome is "the real thing" which is a bit mysterious. They're decent covers of old tried and true blues tunes - where is the originality and creativity in recording covers? How can covers be considered 'the real thing'? They knocked them off in a couple of days in one or two takes as if it was a warm up or rehearsal. Again, decent covers, but if you really want "the real thing", maybe listen to the originals that truly embody originality and creativity. Not saying you're wrong in finding the blues covers 'oh so much much more enjoyable' than Keith's originals (you are not alone), but I happen to think otherwise. thumbs up

It´s not really the songs on B&L that matter, it´s the way they are executed. There is more passion and love for the music on B&L than on their albums of originals since 1986. It´s like the Stones finally came back to life again.
Of course it´s not groundbreaking and not very creative, but the album sounds like they had fun recording an album for the first time in ages. This time they got really into it, surely much more than on VL, B2B or ABB. Those albums in hindsight sound like "We´ve got a job to do, so let´s do it". B&L sounds like "We have most marvelous job in the world and we are so lucky to still be able to do it".

A while ago someone posted a playlist of the original Blues-tunes, I listened to it and I have to confess I like the Stones-covers better than the originals.
Regarding CH, it´s a good album showing that Keith is still able to deliver an entertaining album but it also shows that he sticks to his creative language and boundaries. I´m a Stones fan in the first place so what else could I do than loving B&L more than CH...

Date: January 9, 2017 14:09

HMS
Hairball

It´s not really the songs on B&L that matter, it´s the way they are executed. There is more passion and love for the music on B&L than on their albums of originals since 1983. It´s like the Stones finally came back to life again.
Of course it´s not groundbreaking and not very creative, but the album sounds like they had fun recording an album for the first time in ages. This time they got really into it, surely much more than on VL, B2B or ABB. Those albums in hindsight sound like "We´ve got a job to do, so let´s do it". B&L sounds like "We have most marvelous job in the world and we are so lucky to still be able to do it".

A while ago someone posted a playlist of the original Blues-tunes, I listened to it and I have to confess I like the Stones-covers better than the originals.
Regarding CH, it´s a good album showing that Keith is still able to deliver an entertaining album but it also shows that he sticks to his creative language and boundaries. I´m a Stones fan in the first place so what else could I do than loving B&L more than CH...

+1

Date: January 9, 2017 19:13

DandelionPowderman
HMS
Hairball
HMS - original songs equate to creativity , and you can compare Crosseyed Heart however you want to the rest of Keith's recorded output of the past, but that doesn't negate the originality and creativity factor. And then you go on to say Blue and Lonesome is "the real thing" which is a bit mysterious. They're decent covers of old tried and true blues tunes - where is the originality and creativity in recording covers? How can covers be considered 'the real thing'? They knocked them off in a couple of days in one or two takes as if it was a warm up or rehearsal. Again, decent covers, but if you really want "the real thing", maybe listen to the originals that truly embody originality and creativity. Not saying you're wrong in finding the blues covers 'oh so much much more enjoyable' than Keith's originals (you are not alone), but I happen to think otherwise. thumbs up

It´s not really the songs on B&L that matter, it´s the way they are executed. There is more passion and love for the music on B&L than on their albums of originals since 1981. It´s like the Stones finally came back to life again.

+1

Almost +1.

I've said it many times, B&L is the best Stones album since 1981 for some of the reasons you've stated, but CH is the best Stones related album since 1981 for the reasons I've stated...better than B&L imo. (Talk is Cheap was the #1 for awhile, but I've found CH more interesting as a whole). And even though the 'new' songs on B&L are simply covers of tunes which already existed in an original superior form, there is definitely some love and passion on them when compared to Stones albums from the past 35 years. As far as originality and creativity on B&L, they've taken tried and true blues tunes where the words and chords already exist, and have simply added some color to them. It's similar to a kids coloring book where the groundwork has been done, and all that is left is to fill in the blanks with a bit of artistic flair. Yes the Stones have somewhat stamped their sound on some of the covers, but for the most part they don't veer to far off from the original templates which give the originals the upper hand imo. Perhaps it's the artist in me, but creativity and originality are valued much more than anything that is derivative. Crosseyed Heart might not be be to everyone's liking, and perhaps it's an acquired taste for some, but it's a much better listening experience for me than B&L and anything that's come from the Stones since 1981 - band or solo. It's filled with originality, creativity, and vitality...B&L not so much.

On a final note - Crosseyed Heart and B&L would have made for a fine double album consisting of orignals, blues covers, Mick vocals, Keith vocals, etc. I was actually playing the two cd's on shuffle for awhile, and it made the B&L experience much more enjoyable, yet somewhat detracted from CH. It was a fun experiment though, and I'd recommend it!

matxil
Hairball

I completely agree. And I think Keith has developed quite a special knack for his own brand of soul-songs, almost like a genre of his own, where his voice (which obviously is limited in some ways) actually works very well. Songs like "Hate It When You Leave" from MO, and CH's "Suspicious", "Illusion", "Lover's Plea" deserve a lot more attention. Could there be anything more creative than actually develop a music style and add to its evolution?

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-09 19:15 by Hairball.

Date: January 9, 2017 20:11

HMS
Hairball

It´s not really the songs on B&L that matter, it´s the way they are executed. There is more passion and love for the music on B&L than on their albums of originals since 1986.

Ah, yes, their cover of Harlem Shuffle. Damn good. The only good track on that album. Hilarious that you'd actually be capable of recognizing such a thing.

Date: January 9, 2017 20:18

HMS
CH is solid, but it is too long. A few songs are boring indeed. Kick off them fillers.

"originality, creativity, and vitality."

Vitality? A bit, especially for a man in his 70s.

The definition of vitality - the stage of being strong and active; energy.

There is certainly that on CROSSEYED HEART.

HMS
Originality, creativity? Not very much, imo. It´s the usual stuff, it follows pretty much the path of MO or the songs he´s written and sung on Stones albums over the last 35 years. Nothing new really. Some songs sound indeed like they were recorded during TIC/MO-sessions or like unused leftovers from those sessions.

Obviously you have a huge void of understanding things. Let's say some of them are leftovers from his previous solo albums. So what? They were original and creative when they were written and recorded. Just as with the excellent TATTOO YOU, when they were started and when they were finished has zero relevance.

The usual stuff? That's what Keith is good at doing. Pretty much follows the path of the last 35 years of solo and Stones work? What, you want him to lay a turd and do something like Jagger did with PRIMITIVE COOL or SHE'S THE BOSS? Sounds like it. Afterall, you do love bad albums and bad music.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 10, 2017 01:23

Not a bad album,but very boring,some of these songs sounds halffinished.
Blue and Lonesome ten times better

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 08:55

Crosseyed Heart rules. smoking smiley

Date: January 10, 2017 10:49

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Maindefender

As Rolling Stones fans it's only natural that we want them to do something together?

Hmm. For me, it was natural for years to hope they would do not just "something" but something great together. I don't settle for less with the Stones. But after 30 years, that expectation has become unrealistic. I don't mind them doing okay things together and I wish them all the best, but for me it's a pity knowing that Keith might have come up with some more albums of this own which would have satisfied me much more. And I wish his soul songs would have gotten a bit more limelight.
From an artistic point of view, it's sad if an artist opts to limit himself or not take full advantage of his potential. And that goes for Jagger too, even though I don't like it, he might have developed some credibility as solo artist in the long run.
But fair enough, I don't want to sound too negative. The bright side is that we've got Crosseyed Heart at a moment that I didn't expect it anymore and it is much better than I thought it would be. A year has gone by, and I still like the album very much (except for Blues in the Morning, which I still skip).

Date: January 10, 2017 10:54

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Maindefender

Hmm. For me, it was natural for years to hope they would do not just "something" but something great together. I don't settle for less with the Stones. But after 30 years, that expectation has become unrealistic. I don't mind them doing okay things together and I wish them all the best, but for me it's a pity knowing that Keith might have come up with some more albums of this own which would have satisfied me much more. And I wish his soul songs would have gotten a bit more limelight.
From an artistic point of view, it's sad if an artist opts to limit himself or not take full advantage of his potential. And that goes for Jagger too, even though I don't like it, he might have developed some credibility as solo artist in the long run.
But fair enough, I don't want to sound too negative. The bright side is that we've got Crosseyed Heart at a moment that I didn't expect it anymore and it is much better than I thought it would be. A year has gone by, and I still like the album very much (except for Blues in the Morning, which I still skip).

I think the main thing is that they need to agree on what kind of album they want to make before they start an album project.

If they manage to do that (without the «we need some contemporary songs»), I'll be happy with any effort. It doesn't mean that it will be very good, but I think it will be - if the album has a red thread musically and/or stylistically.

Seemingly, it's the musical differences/differences in taste between Mick and Keith that blocks this.

I hope I'm wwrong, though.

Date: January 10, 2017 11:02

DandelionPowderman

Seemingly, it's the musical differences/differences in taste between Mick and Keith that blocks this.

Well, I think you most certainly are right about that. My point was actually that it's not necessarily a bad thing that Mick and Keith have musical differences, it only becomes a bad/sad thing when they limit themselves to keep on working together. They could still do the occasional concert/blues album/exposition together, but meanwhile concentrating on their solo projects. I feel that would have been better for everyone, including us Stones fans.
But maybe I am wrong too. Keith says he's a slow writer and doesn't produce a lot of songs (anymore), so maybe 3 albums was all that was in him. In that case, I am glad Steve Jordan made it happen.

Date: January 10, 2017 11:05

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Well, I think you most certainly are right about that. My point was actually that it's not necessarily a bad thing that Mick and Keith have musical differences, it only becomes a bad/sad thing when they limit themselves to keep on working together. They could still do the occasional concert/blues album/exposition together, but meanwhile concentrating on their solo projects. I feel that would have been better for everyone, including us Stones fans.
But maybe I am wrong too. Keith says he's a slow writer and doesn't produce a lot of songs (anymore), so maybe 3 albums was all that was in him. In that case, I am glad Steve Jordan made it happen.

It's also the element of not having any more to prove. They don't really HAVE TO to do anything anymore. They're old.

But I agree that it isn't necessarily a bad thing that Mick and Keith have their differences. I'm not sure if those differences will light a «creative spark» in their collaboration anymore, though..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...244245246247248249250251252253254...LastNext
Current Page: 249 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home