Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...247248249250251252253254255256257Next
Current Page: 252 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 19, 2017 13:19

deardoctor
Hairball
The entire album is a winner and provided some great listening for months after release - I still consider it a masterpiece, and hearing it now is just as satisfying. The soundtrack for the late summer and Fall of 2015, and easily the best Stones related album since Tattoo You. If the Stones as a band can ever get it together for a new album, they have their work cut out for them if they want to come close to the overall quality of Crosseyed Heart. Doubtful they can imo considering the soap opera that's taken place so far, not to mention all the other Stones albums since Tattoo You which have always felt unnatural and forced resulting in something mediocre at best.

Come on, does crosseyed heart really beat Talk is cheap? Certainly not.

I think Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender and Crosseyed Heart are all tree very good, but all have their weak points. In that sense, Crosseyed Heart is the "best" since its only weak point is the Blues In The Morning cacaphony. Talk Is Cheap was a great surprise, and has a lot of great stuff to offer, but the production could have been better, and the funk effort of Big Enough clearly does not work for Keith's voice (and again: the production doesn't help either, I could imagine live it could sound much steamier). Main Offender has the most weak songs (Yap Yap, Body Talks), but I love Wicked and Hate It When You Leave, and I've come to appreciate the odd Will But You Won't / Running Too Deep copy/paste sequence.

Date: September 19, 2017 13:22

matxil
deardoctor
Hairball
The entire album is a winner and provided some great listening for months after release - I still consider it a masterpiece, and hearing it now is just as satisfying. The soundtrack for the late summer and Fall of 2015, and easily the best Stones related album since Tattoo You. If the Stones as a band can ever get it together for a new album, they have their work cut out for them if they want to come close to the overall quality of Crosseyed Heart. Doubtful they can imo considering the soap opera that's taken place so far, not to mention all the other Stones albums since Tattoo You which have always felt unnatural and forced resulting in something mediocre at best.

I think Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender and Crosseyed Heart are all tree very good, but all have their weak points. In that sense, Crosseyed Heart is the "best" since its only weak point is the Blues In The Morning cacaphony. Talk Is Cheap was a great surprise, and has a lot of great stuff to offer, but the production could have been better, and the funk effort of Big Enough clearly does not work for Keith's voice (and again: the production doesn't help either, I could imagine live it could sound much steamier). Main Offender has the most weak songs (Yap Yap, Body Talks), but I love Wicked and Hate It When You Leave, and I've come to appreciate the odd Will But You Won't / Running Too Deep copy/paste sequence.

It did indeed, and they added parts to it that is not on the album.

It's on Keith's live album, btw smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 19, 2017 13:24

<Come on, does crosseyed heart really beat Talk is cheap? Certainly not.>

To me it did, right from the first listen.

Crosseyed is a more complex and vaster musical work, imo. The production is better, and the songs are more finished and refined.

I love both albums dearly, though.

Oh! And Keith sings way better on Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 19, 2017 15:18

matxil
deardoctor
Hairball

Weird I thought from first listen and still think Blues In The Morning is brilliant lyrically and musically. Let's face it so many of Keith's songs would be great Rolling Stones songs.

Date: September 19, 2017 15:30

Maindefender
matxil
deardoctor
Hairball

Weird I thought from first listen and still think Blues In The Morning is brilliant lyrically and musically. Let's face it so many of Keith's songs would be great Rolling Stones songs.

Same here!

Date: September 19, 2017 15:38

Maindefender
matxil
deardoctor
Hairball

I must be missing something. My girlfriend (not a huge Stones fan) likes that song also. I prefer to skip it, to me it just sounds like a very loud 12-bar boogie without anything special, just very loud and chaotic.
I am assuming that for you it's something like Black Limousine or Who's Driving Your Plane, (both of which I love), but for me it lacks control, clearity and direction. Never mind though, the rest of the album is great.

Date: September 19, 2017 15:44

matxil
Maindefender
matxil
deardoctor
Hairball

I must be missing something. My girlfriend (not a huge Stones fan) likes that song also. I prefer to skip it, to me it just sounds like a very loud 12-bar boogie without anything special, just very loud and chaotic.
I am assuming that for you it's something like Black Limousine or Who's Driving Your Plane, (both of which I love), but for me it lacks control, clearity and direction. Never mind though, the rest of the album is great.

That sound!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 19, 2017 16:15

The worst song on Crosseyed Heart is far superior to Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 19, 2017 16:53

Blues in the Morning is just loud, exuberant Rock & Roll...

With plenty of Roll ... so what the f*** is wrong with that ? grinning smiley

Date: September 19, 2017 17:06

Spud
Blues in the Morning is just loud, exuberant Rock & Roll...

With plenty of Roll ... so what the f*** is wrong with that ? grinning smiley

Well, for one, it sounds like something any band could pull out of their sleave in under 5 minutes without practicing, with all amps on max and nobody listening to anybody. But never mind, since I love the rest of the album so much, I'd hate to dwell on this song too much. As I said before, I must be missing something. By the way, I don't like "Could Have Stood You Up" very much either, although it's much less chaotic and more clearly defined, it shares the same rhythm (more or less) which I guess I´m not so fond of. No big deal.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 19, 2017 17:26

Blues in the Morning is Tom Waits' Union Square part II!

C

Date: September 19, 2017 17:29

liddas
Blues in the Morning is Tom Waits' Union Square part II!

C

Interesting comparison. I like Union Square better though.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 19, 2017 17:56

Voodookitten76
Happy 2nd birthday Crosseyed Heart!!!! Two years on and this is still one of the albums that I listen to most. smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Didn't realize it was 2 years already, but what a great album it is!

deardoctor
Hairball

Certainly it is. And I love Talk is Cheap, but X-eyed Heart is superior.

DandelionPowderman
Goodnight Irene could easily have been skipped.

Brutal! It's such a great cover, Keith does a great job on vocals, it's one of the highlights for me.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 19, 2017 18:01

matxil

1 : the funk effort of Big Enough clearly does not work for Keith's voice???

How do mean clearly? It works great! Great opener of the record with all ingredients that work. You should have written : In my humble opinion there.

2. The production. The production could have been better? In what way? Great dynamics, all analogue, and thus the record can be played loud without getting 'ear fatigue'. It is a great production in the sound department (in my opinion)

The cd version was not so good as the longplayer version, but with Main Offender the cd version sounds VERY good (in my opinion)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 18:08 by barbabang.

Date: September 19, 2017 19:04

LeonidP
Voodookitten76
Happy 2nd birthday Crosseyed Heart!!!! Two years on and this is still one of the albums that I listen to most. smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Didn't realize it was 2 years already, but what a great album it is!

deardoctor
Hairball

Certainly it is. And I love Talk is Cheap, but X-eyed Heart is superior.

DandelionPowderman
Goodnight Irene could easily have been skipped.

Brutal! It's such a great cover, Keith does a great job on vocals, it's one of the highlights for me.

It is indeed great. Perhaps it would have made a better single than an album track?

With Lovers Plea, Suspicious, Illusion, Robbed Blind etc. On the same album, it sort of pales a bit, imo.

Date: September 19, 2017 19:06

barbabang

matxil

1 : the funk effort of Big Enough clearly does not work for Keith's voice???

How do mean clearly? It works great! Great opener of the record with all ingredients that work. You should have written : In my humble opinion there.

2. The production. The production could have been better? In what way? Great dynamics, all analogue, and thus the record can be played loud without getting 'ear fatigue'. It is a great production in the sound department (in my opinion)

The cd version was not so good as the longplayer version, but with Main Offender the cd version sounds VERY good (in my opinion)

The MO vinyl LP also sounds excellent, imo.

The drum sound on TIC is a bit strange, imo.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:47

CH has much more texture and landscape of sound compared to Talk is Cheap and Main Offender.

It has Lovers Plea - Keith's best song he wrote ? I prefer to listen to CH over
MO and TIC when I pull out a Keith solo record.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:52

matxil
Maindefender
matxil
deardoctor
Hairball

To my ears it predates the Rolling Stones. Should Have Stood You Up also

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2017 22:01

deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

For me, Crosseyed Heart had a greater impact and left a bigger impression on me.
Hard to be objective with this as it's only my opinion, but the two were released at different periods of my life and therefore have a different context which can sometimes influence one's opinion.
I certainly loved Talk is Cheap and it held the place as the best Stones related album since Tattoo You for a long time...until Crosseyed Heart came out. winking smiley
That said, I think You Don't Move Me as an individual song is better than any individual song from Crosseyed Heart, but if comparing the albums as a whole, I lean towards Crosseyed Heart - for a variety of reasons.

I guess that's the point: it' s all subjective, just opinions. For me,there are, especially in the first half of CH great tunes but also few fillers in the second half. Talk is cheap: every song a Killer. Compare Blues in the morning with could have stood you up and you know what I mean.

I can't see what you mean as I think Blues in the Morning is far superior to I Could Have Stood You Up.
While Blues in the Morning is a stomping barrel house romp through the history of the blues and early rock and roll (with great lyrics), I Could Have Stood You Up comes across as nothing more than a faux rockabilly tune.
Not a bad tune by any means as it's fun to listen to and fits well on the album, but it's more of a tongue-in-cheek novelty whereas Blues in the Morning seems to have more sincerity and is closer to the real deal imo.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: September 19, 2017 23:31

Crosseyed Heart is indeed better than any Stones album since Tattoo You - and Something For Nothing is the best track on the album!

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: September 19, 2017 23:59

I Love This Album, so much to choose from....

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:21

Wow, 2 yr anniversary already? Listened again this night after a while. Still love it the same.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:31

Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

For me, Crosseyed Heart had a greater impact and left a bigger impression on me.
Hard to be objective with this as it's only my opinion, but the two were released at different periods of my life and therefore have a different context which can sometimes influence one's opinion.
I certainly loved Talk is Cheap and it held the place as the best Stones related album since Tattoo You for a long time...until Crosseyed Heart came out. winking smiley
That said, I think You Don't Move Me as an individual song is better than any individual song from Crosseyed Heart, but if comparing the albums as a whole, I lean towards Crosseyed Heart - for a variety of reasons.

I guess that's the point: it' s all subjective, just opinions. For me,there are, especially in the first half of CH great tunes but also few fillers in the second half. Talk is cheap: every song a Killer. Compare Blues in the morning with could have stood you up and you know what I mean.

I can't see what you mean as I think Blues in the Morning is far superior to I Could Have Stood You Up.
While Blues in the Morning is a stomping barrel house romp through the history of the blues and early rock and roll (with great lyrics), I Could Have Stood You Up comes across as nothing more than a faux rockabilly tune.
Not a bad tune by any means as it's fun to listen to and fits well on the album, but it's more of a tongue-in-cheek novelty whereas Blues in the Morning seems to have more sincerity and is closer to the real deal imo.

Hmmm: could have stood you up is s fine classic rockabilly, blues in the morning rather a jamsession with noddling guitar where the voice should be and a later overdubbed vocalpart. No masterpiece, I'm sorry

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:41

deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

Hmmm: could have stood you up is s fine classic rockabilly, blues in the morning rather a jamsession with noddling guitar where the voice should be and a later overdubbed vocalpart. No masterpiece, I'm sorry

No apologies necessary - we all have different tastes and opinions. smileys with beer

Date: September 20, 2017 01:16

Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

No apologies necessary - we all have different tastes and opinions. smileys with beer

Yes, but his is wrong. Blues In The Morning blows away Stood You Up by a country mile. And if those solos are just 'noodling' than it's not possible to play a solo without it being 'noodling'.

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 01:34

I'm surprised by the Stood You Up comments. I love that track! It's a great '50s nostalgia song, so catchy.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Date: September 20, 2017 07:09

Voodookitten76
I'm surprised by the Stood You Up comments. I love that track! It's a great '50s nostalgia song, so catchy.

I don't think most were putting down Stood You Up, just saying that Blues In The Morning was superior, which it is, by far.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 20, 2017 07:19

I like all three albums a great deal, but prefer the first two. There are songs I really enjoy on CROSSEYED HEART, but there's more filler. There were non-songs that were really just jams on the first two albums, but I loved those jams so that elevated them. Still, that aside, CROSSEYED HEART was far stronger than I expected it to be. I was in awe of it at first and then the glow faded a bit as I played it more so that I would say I really enjoy "Robbed Blind," "Trouble," "Nothing On Me," "Something For Nothing," "Goodnight Irene," "Substantial Damage," and "Lover's Plea." The first three tracks were the biggest disappointments for me. The rest wasn't bad, just predictable and fairly run of the mill for Keith. Still there were seven really good songs that surprised me.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 20, 2017 07:30

LeonidP
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Hairball

Yes, but his is wrong. Blues In The Morning blows away Stood You Up by a country mile. And if those solos are just 'noodling' than it's not possible to play a solo without it being 'noodling'.

You should listen to them directly. Anyway, hairball is right- different tastes.
Cheers, see you tonight in zurich

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 2, 2018 21:55

The last stones record I could play without skipping a track was the some girls bonus tracks and Blue and Lonesome.. I can say the same with Crosseyed Heart all are great. I am still amazed how Keith created a landscape of sound on Heartstopper, Lovers Plea could be the best song created in the studio since the 60's. Robbed Blind never thought Keith could do Bob Dylan but just perfect. I listen to this at least once a week and is the best new material any stone member has recorded except for Blues and Lonesome in many years.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...247248249250251252253254255256257Next
Current Page: 252 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home