Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: October 2, 2015 05:27

I'm too old to buy a CD. Why bother when I can listen on YT or Spotify? IMO a lot of people feel the same way.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 2, 2015 05:49

TonyMo
I'm too old to buy a CD. Why bother when I can listen on YT or Spotify? IMO a lot of people feel the same way.

We all do our own choices.

- Doxa

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 2, 2015 07:30

straycatuk
I've listened to this album more times in the last 2 weeks than I have ABB in the decade since it's release.

Same here. I really liked ABB but do think CH is better, especially in terms of production. I've also been listening to it since the bootleg appeared, so I'm well past the initial excitement of it being a new album.

I've burned a copy that includes the Love Overdue remix and instrumental version of Trouble. I wish Keith would release the Winos' version of One More Shot via his website so I could tack that on as well.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 2, 2015 07:49

laertisflash
I can't believe the particular moaning, here... Folks, a Keith's album (NOT a Stones album, I'm sure you know the difference from a commercial point of view...) debuts at #4 of the Global Chart, selling 93,000 copies (in these days, sometimes 120,000 units are enough even for #1). And you say, what exactly? That the albums "fall drastically the second and third week"? Of course. So what?

We have the dubut so far. If you really believe that 93,000 (and #4 globally) is not a strong number, allow me to mention some other debuts done by famous and newer artists/bands, in the last weeks or week.

Ryan Adams 62,000
Stereophonics 55,000
Slayer 124,000
Gary Clark 35,000
Prince 16,000 (only!)
Motorhead 66,000
Bon Jovi 105,000
Joss Stone 31,000
Joe Satriani 25,000
Third Eye Blind 23,000
Neil Young & Promise Of The Real (Neil is younger than Keith...) 50,000

Etc, etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, that' the level of sales, today. And Keith's album has sold 93,000 copies... Maybe some of you don't like the album. Fine, after all it's a matter of taste. But don't try to underestimate it's success. That would be completely childish! Especially if we consider that CH sells much, much better than the previous two Keith's solo albums. (And know something? I believe CH deserves 100% this success, it' Keith's best album IMO).

thumbs up

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 08:18

Man I love this album so much. It was even better than I thought it would be! I knew it was going to be great though (I mean, c'mon, it's Keith Richards we're talking about). Amazon UK accidentally sent me two vinyl copies and, after asking them if they wanted one sent back, they said it wasn't worth the shipping hassle, and to just keep both. So now I have one copy to play as much as I want, and one to keep sealed. And then just yesterday the CD came, so now I'm set spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 2, 2015 08:53

georgelicks
The album went to #1 on Argentina (it debuted at #6)
[www.diariodecultura.com.ar]

Chart debuts so far:

Austria: 1
Argentina: 6-1
Germany: 3
Mediatraffic Worldchart: 4
Netherlands: 4
Swiss: 4
Norway: 4
New Zealand: 5
Czech Republic: 6
Japan: 6-13
UK: 7 (Sales only #6)
Italy: 7
Sweden: 7
France: 7
Denmark: 8
Belgium (Walloon): 8
Belgium (Flemish): 10
USA: 11 (Sales only #8)
Canada: 11
Spain: 12
Portugal: 14
Australia: 15
Poland: 16
Ireland: 19
Finland: 29

This is no wonder. The album has not been promoted at all here in Finland. Not even Keith's bashings of Metallica, Beatles etc. couldn't make the news. Some odd, small review here and there. None of my music-oriented friends, and some being even Stones fans, hadn't any idea that Keith has released a solo album (well, I educated them...). I guess to make #29 here these days the question might be about some dozens sold copies... sad smiley

But shit, I just looked at our TOP 50 list, and all I can wonder what a crap taste we Finns have. Yeah, truely a promised land of heavy metal, making #1 (Diablo), #4 (Iron Maiden, last week's #1), #5 (Amorphis), #9 (Stratovarius), #11 (Slayer)...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 09:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2015 09:08

stones2000
Man I love this album so much. It was even better than I thought it would be! I knew it was going to be great though (I mean, c'mon, it's Keith Richards we're talking about). Amazon UK accidentally sent me two vinyl copies and, after asking them if they wanted one sent back, they said it wasn't worth the shipping hassle, and to just keep both. So now I have one copy to play as much as I want, and one to keep sealed. And then just yesterday the CD came, so now I'm set spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Excellent stones2000!smiling smiley

Date: October 2, 2015 09:11

georgelicks

Chart debuts so far:

Vamos Argentina!hot smiley

Date: October 2, 2015 09:20

KRiffhard

Vamos Argentina!hot smiley

CROSSEYED HEART did what BEGGARS BANQUET never was able to do: top the charts somewhere... (yeah, a funny oddity; BEGGARS BANQUET being the only Stones studio album never able to make #1 somewhere in the world) grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 09:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 10:02

All hail Argentina!

Date: October 2, 2015 10:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 2, 2015 12:00

Doxa

I think there is a crucial difference between CROSSEYED HEART and Keith's earlier albums. If anyone, like me, finds MAIN OFFENDER and to and extent TALK IS CHEAP a bit boring, and more like a showcase of a 'riffmaster' showing what is famous for, by the expense of good song-writing, the new album is more done from a song-writers point of view. The songs sound more like coherent pieces; sort of more properly crafted and written. The whole 'feel' of the album is different. This really sounds like a Keith Richards solo album, not that of a Rolling Stones guitarist doing something quasi-Stones. I think that might charm some listeners more than of his earlier efforts, because now the result sounds more like a finished product, an aim of its own. Keith, to say it simply, has more identity, sounds more like an artist of his own.

However, that doesn't mean that Keith has now written better songs than earlier. No, quite the contrary. The song-writing so relaxed all the way through that it lacks the sharpness of the things like "Make No Mistake", "Take It So Hard" or "Hate It When You Leave". There is no singular songs in quality close to those, even though the quality over-all is a rather nice one. The impression is more like that of lazy Sunday afternoon feel of pals making music with no hurry, no ambitions, no deadline, no pressure - and no need to 'say' anything. Easy-listening mature music for mature folks. Enjoyable, but forgettable. Kind of 'muzak' for not too close listening; 'stylistically' alright - anything 'good': country blues, elecric blues, soul, country, reggae, ballads, rock and roll, etc. - to attract certain folks, but which probably cannot excite any one else further or deeper than the already-charmed Keith Richards devotees.

- Doxa

I agree to some extent with your statement that Crosseyed Heart is an "overall feel-good album" (which is not the same as muzak) rather than an album with "outstanding hits" (translating your words into slightly different wording). In that sense, it's more comparable to (in my view outstanding) albums like "No More Shall We Part" by Nick Cave or some of the best albums of Tom Waits (mainly from the 70's and 80's) or, as a matter of fact, "Exile" than to "more urgent" albums like "Let it Bleed" or "Some Girls".
I agree that "Talk is Cheap" and "Main Offender" were overall more haphazard.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2015 12:39

howlingmad
I've burned a copy that includes the Love Overdue remix and instrumental version of Trouble.

Where/How does one get the instrumental version of Trouble, please and thank you?

Date: October 2, 2015 12:44

Date: October 2, 2015 13:14

TonyMo

- Because it sounds better on my hifi system
- Because I don't like to have my computer switched on at home
- Because the YouTube playlist includes some other clips after Lover's Plea which are of no interest to me
- Because internet doesn't always work
- Because it looks nice on my shelves of CDs
- Because I tend to buy CDs or DVDs when I know it's good.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: October 2, 2015 14:58

Doxa
Harlem Shuffler
Elmo Lewis
matxil
Harlem Shuffler
Anyone here who doesn't have a high opinion of Keith's previous albums but is impressed with this new one?
I've resisted the temptation to buy it so far...

I like the previous albums of Keith very much, but this one is much better.

thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question.
It does seem that I'm the only one here who was underwhelmed by Keith's previous "solo" work. With the exception of Hate It When You Leave and Make No Mistake which are great IMO there's very little else that doesn't leave me lukewarm if not cold. The CD is only £7.99 at HMV where I live but, on principal, I don't want to buy something I won't enjoy listening to.

Sorry I didn't catch your question earlier - probably I am a bit over of this album and thread actually, but I try to say something now, if this is not too late.

I think there is a crucial difference between CROSSEYED HEART and Keith's earlier albums. If anyone, like me, finds MAIN OFFENDER and to and extent TALK IS CHEAP a bit boring, and more like a showcase of a 'riffmaster' showing what is famous for, by the expense of good song-writing, the new album is more done from a song-writers point of view. The songs sound more like coherent pieces; sort of more properly crafted and written. The whole 'feel' of the album is different. This really sounds like a Keith Richards solo album, not that of a Rolling Stones guitarist doing something quasi-Stones. I think that might charm some listeners more than of his earlier efforts, because now the result sounds more like a finished product, an aim of its own. Keith, to say it simply, has more identity, sounds more like an artist of his own.

However, that doesn't mean that Keith has now written better songs than earlier. No, quite the contrary. The song-writing so relaxed all the way through that it lacks the sharpness of the things like "Make No Mistake", "Take It So Hard" or "Hate It When You Leave". There is no singular songs in quality close to those, even though the quality over-all is a rather nice one. The impression is more like that of lazy Sunday afternoon feel of pals making music with no hurry, no ambitions, no deadline, no pressure - and no need to 'say' anything. Easy-listening mature music for mature folks. Enjoyable, but forgettable. Kind of 'muzak' for not too close listening; 'stylistically' alright - anything 'good': country blues, elecric blues, soul, country, reggae, ballads, rock and roll, etc. - to attract certain folks, but which probably cannot excite any one else further or deeper than the already-charmed Keith Richards devotees.

- Doxa

Thank you, Doxa. What you say confirms the impression I was getting from reading between the lines of the posts here. I know the Stones/Keith-Can-Do-No-Wrong brigade think it's wonderful but that's to be expected.
I couldn't believe how weak "Trouble" sounded on first hearing but it did grow on me from being poor to mediocre. If that's one of the stand-out tracks, I dread to think what some of the songs on this album are like.

Date: October 2, 2015 15:04

...another good review: [www.theguardian.com]

Date: October 2, 2015 15:05

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 2, 2015 15:08

Substantial Damage = what "Might As Well Get Juiced" coulda been.

Date: October 2, 2015 15:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 2, 2015 15:51

Harlem Shuffler
Doxa
Harlem Shuffler
Elmo Lewis
matxil
Harlem Shuffler
Anyone here who doesn't have a high opinion of Keith's previous albums but is impressed with this new one?
I've resisted the temptation to buy it so far...

I like the previous albums of Keith very much, but this one is much better.

thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question.
It does seem that I'm the only one here who was underwhelmed by Keith's previous "solo" work. With the exception of Hate It When You Leave and Make No Mistake which are great IMO there's very little else that doesn't leave me lukewarm if not cold. The CD is only £7.99 at HMV where I live but, on principal, I don't want to buy something I won't enjoy listening to.

Sorry I didn't catch your question earlier - probably I am a bit over of this album and thread actually, but I try to say something now, if this is not too late.

- Doxa

Thank you, Doxa. What you say confirms the impression I was getting from reading between the lines of the posts here. I know the Stones/Keith-Can-Do-No-Wrong brigade think it's wonderful but that's to be expected.
I couldn't believe how weak "Trouble" sounded on first hearing but it did grow on me from being poor to mediocre. If that's one of the stand-out tracks, I dread to think what some of the songs on this album are like.

Doxa saves the day!! smileys with beer Honestly I have to believe CrossEyed Heart was not contrived or deliberate attempt by Richards and Jordan to excite listeners who aren't "already-charmed KR devotees". Before CH came out KR was asked if he would put out and "all blues" or "all rock" albums and he has consistently said that he prefers playing so many genres that it would bore him to not diversify. Once again, if this album sucked I would have to admit it but that's far from the case here. I always root for the home team to win, the Stones have been my team forever...drinking smiley

Date: October 2, 2015 15:52

Harlem Shuffler

I don't think a lot of people see "Trouble" as the stand-out track. Most would agree there are much better tracks on Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 2, 2015 16:36

laertisflash
I can't believe the particular moaning, here... Folks, a Keith's album (NOT a Stones album, I'm sure you know the difference from a commercial point of view...) debuts at #4 of the Global Chart, selling 93,000 copies (in these days, sometimes 120,000 units are enough even for #1). And you say, what exactly? That the albums "fall drastically the second and third week"? Of course. So what?

We have the dubut so far. If you really believe that 93,000 (and #4 globally) is not a strong number, allow me to mention some other debuts done by famous and newer artists/bands, in the last weeks or week.

Ryan Adams 62,000
Stereophonics 55,000
Slayer 124,000
Gary Clark 35,000
Prince 16,000 (only!)
Motorhead 66,000
Bon Jovi 105,000
Joss Stone 31,000
Joe Satriani 25,000
Third Eye Blind 23,000
Neil Young & Promise Of The Real (Neil is younger than Keith...) 50,000

Etc, etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, that' the level of sales, today. And Keith's album has sold 93,000 copies... Maybe some of you don't like the album. Fine, after all it's a matter of taste. But don't try to underestimate it's success. That would be completely childish! Especially if we consider that CH sells much, much better than the previous two Keith's solo albums. (And know something? I believe CH deserves 100% this success, it' Keith's best album IMO).

Sorry where does the 93,000 number come from ?

EDIT - ah ok, Google is indeed my friend : [www.mediatraffic.de]

220k for Gilmour, wow !

Would be nice to have a breakdown by country, as I can't see numbers for the US for instance : [www.billboard.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 16:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 2, 2015 17:00

georgelicks

Chart debuts so far:

Wow, fantastic.
7 in Italy!

Go Keith. thumbs up

Date: October 2, 2015 18:27

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 2, 2015 18:41

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

thumbs upthumbs up Then watch Keith and Nora dueting on Love Hurts!! If you dare winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 18:42 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2015 18:49

KRiffhard
...another good review: [www.theguardian.com]

"Keith Richards: Crosseyed Heart review – everything a fan could hope for"

Seems some fans are going to great lengths and grasping at straws to dismiss this, and/or perhaps they really miss Mick?

I'm no cheerleader and have tried to keep my impressions realistic winking smiley, but can all these positive reviews be wrong?
Not giving too much credibility to professional critics, but when coupled with the enthusiasm from a majority of die-hard and casual Stones fans alike, there must be some truth to them all.
And I'm not saying everyone should love it as much as me, but this is the next best thing to a great Stones related album which hasn't occurred since Talk is Cheap, and before that Tattoo You.
I'd suggest enjoying this for what is, because it could be a long time before anything of this caliber comes from the Stones' world.
With that said, hoping next Stones album will be great, but...............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 18:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 2, 2015 19:00

TonyMo
i bought it on vinyl (in a real shop, not online) and did make a copy on a good old TDK-SA (it fits perfectly on a 60 btw, an lp on each side smiling smiley), so i can listen in the car as well...

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 19:01 by MononoM.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 2, 2015 19:10

georgelicks

Chart debuts so far:

Netherlands: 4 (top 100, 6 currently..); 12 (top 40, 7 currently (going up smiling smiley)

In The Netherlands are two charts, the top 40 and the top 100. On the top 40 Keith is going up smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 19:11 by MononoM.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 2, 2015 19:21

gotdablouse

Would be nice to have a breakdown by country, as I can't see numbers for the US for instance : [www.billboard.com]

US - 33,000

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home