Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...176177178179180181182183184185186...LastNext
Current Page: 181 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 1, 2015 09:01

I've had Just A Gift on repeat in the car.
Thoroughly enjoying this album.
Keef just gets better

Date: October 1, 2015 09:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2015 09:27

Aye, indeed they are. moody smiley

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 1, 2015 09:35

georgelicks
Charts debuts so far:

Mediatraffic World Chart: 4 (93,000)

Belgium (Walloon): 8
Belgium (Flemish): 10

Always thought the Walloons are much nicer than the Flemish!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 1, 2015 09:54

I've listened to this album more times in the last 2 weeks than I have ABB in the decade since it's release.

Like a classic Stones album,it's a grower. Also the best production since Tattoo You.

sc uk

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 1, 2015 10:25

Anybody get lucky with the autographed CD?

I didn't, but the album has grown on me and the T-shirt fits =)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 1, 2015 11:26

Deathgod
I've had Just A Gift on repeat in the car.
Thoroughly enjoying this album.
Keef just gets better

'Just a Gift'...as we said in Italy: "Class is not water! But it's good even "you cannot buy class"!!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 1, 2015 11:27

The album is better than I thought. After having problems with getting into it at first I have to saythat it has charming moments.

Date: October 1, 2015 12:43

...another good review of CH! Great article! [cornellsun.com]

Date: October 1, 2015 12:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 1, 2015 13:46

windmelody
The album is better than I thought. After having problems with getting into it at first I have to saythat it has charming moments.

This sums up perfectly my impression so far.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 1, 2015 13:51

Harlem Shuffler
Anyone here who doesn't have a high opinion of Keith's previous albums but is impressed with this new one?
I've resisted the temptation to buy it so far...

I like the previous albums of Keith very much, but this one is much better.

Date: October 1, 2015 14:05

Talk Is Cheap is a much better album than Crosseyed Heart. CH does have it´s moments, but overall there is a lack of real highlights. Most songs are quite enjoyable, but none is really outstanding. It´s a solid album, not more not less. Could have been better, could have been worse. Very often I have the impression that Keith is recycling intros/outros/melodies of his older songs.

Reading all the postings one might think CH is the holy grail of music, of course it is not, but it is an album worth listening to, in fact better than I first expected. Anyway I guess it will be soon forgotten after the first hype. At least Keith showed us that he still can release a decent collection of songs.

Date: October 1, 2015 14:16

The only thing missing on CH is a song ala 'Take it so hard'. I think that 'One More Shot' solo version (a duet with Meegan Voss)
would have been the highlight and first single of CH.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 1, 2015 16:19

straycatuk
I've listened to this album more times in the last 2 weeks than I have ABB in the decade since it's release.

Like a classic Stones album,it's a grower. Also the best production since Tattoo You.

sc uk

Yep, me too!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 1, 2015 16:20

matxil
Harlem Shuffler
Anyone here who doesn't have a high opinion of Keith's previous albums but is impressed with this new one?

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: October 1, 2015 16:43

Elmo Lewis
matxil
Harlem Shuffler

thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question.
It does seem that I'm the only one here who was underwhelmed by Keith's previous "solo" work. With the exception of Hate It When You Leave and Make No Mistake which are great IMO there's very little else that doesn't leave me lukewarm if not cold. The CD is only £7.99 at HMV where I live but, on principal, I don't want to buy something I won't enjoy listening to.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 1, 2015 16:52

Harlem, no disrespect intended, but your above post struck me as funny. How do you know you'll enjoy anything unless you try it? Just buy it, if you don't like it, give it away.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 1, 2015 17:04

KRiffhard
The only thing missing on CH is a song ala 'Take it so hard'. I think that 'One More Shot' solo version (a duet with Meegan Voss)

I think Trouble is a stronger song. They didn't bother making a video for it - their marketing plan clearly did not hinge on a breakout single. It's funny with people talking about how much promotion was done for this album - they didn't even pay to make a video.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 1, 2015 17:10

straycatuk

sc uk

Agreed. Great album that just gets better with every listen. Best Stones album for over 30 years.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 1, 2015 17:10

Turner68
KRiffhard

I think Trouble is a stronger song. They didn't bother making a video for it - their marketing plan clearly did not hinge on a breakout single. It's funny with people talking about how much promotion was done for this album - they didn't even pay to make a video.

Video for Trouble can now be purchased for $1.99 on iTunes US, but still can be streamed here: [itunes.apple.com]

Date: October 1, 2015 17:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 1, 2015 17:51

i've been careful not to rank this too quickly, as the 'new' factor could definitely sway opinions.

As much as I love Keith's first 2 albums (i believe i like talk is cheap more, but there are some great songs on the 2nd, such as Wicked, Words, Yap Yap, Hate It), I have no doubt that Crosseyed Heart is the best Keith solo album.

I'll also go out on a limb to put Robbed Blind up there with my favorite Keith tune ever: Before They Make Me Run. Totally differnt tracks, I realize but I love them both the same!

Date: October 1, 2015 18:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 1, 2015 18:13

LeonidP
i've been careful not to rank this too quickly, as the 'new' factor could definitely sway opinions.

As much as I love Keith's first 2 albums (i believe i like talk is cheap more, but there are some great songs on the 2nd, such as Wicked, Words, Yap Yap, Hate It), I have no doubt that Crosseyed Heart is the best Keith solo album.

I'll also go out on a limb to put Robbed Blind up there with my favorite Keith tune ever: Before They Make Me Run. Totally differnt tracks, I realize but I love them both the same!

thumbs up

Robbed Blind, Just a Gift, Nothing on me, Lover's plea...thanks Keef for these beautiful gems.

Date: October 1, 2015 18:51

KRiffhard
Robbed Blind, Just a Gift, Nothing on me, Lover's plea...thanks Keef for these beautiful gems.

Robbed Blind is superb indeed, Just A Gift I don´t remember at the moment (which is not a very good sign), Nothing On Me bores me a bit, Lover´s Plea is beautiful but I don´t like the backing vocals.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 1, 2015 18:56

Harlem Shuffler
Elmo Lewis
matxil
Harlem Shuffler

thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question.
It does seem that I'm the only one here who was underwhelmed by Keith's previous "solo" work. With the exception of Hate It When You Leave and Make No Mistake which are great IMO there's very little else that doesn't leave me lukewarm if not cold. The CD is only £7.99 at HMV where I live but, on principal, I don't want to buy something I won't enjoy listening to.

Well, if you particularly liked his "soul-ballads" of his previous albums, then you can't be too disappointed for 8 pounds when you buy Crosseyed Heart. It's got a fair amount of soulful ballads, and I consider them the highlights of the album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2015 19:29

matxil
Harlem Shuffler

Same here - I really like the previous albums (especially Talk is Cheap) but this one's better overall for a variety of reasons.
Could be because of the context of time, mind, and age - me being 25 yr's old then vs. now being a factor, but more than likely it's simply because it's just a great album period.

Some key quotes from the excellently written review posted above echo every thought I've had about this since day one:

And here comes “Trouble.” F*ck. F*ckin’ hell. F*ckin’ hell yes. No goddamn Kanye West, no goddamn Justin Bieber, no #hashtagged Billboard contrivance.
Just that holy backbeat — American as a ’57 Chevy with Marilyn on the hood, full of the sacred promise of libertinism.
The chord progression is classic Richards, filled with the knowing smile of an elder statesman.

The engineering on this record is beautifully live — you can hear the room — and nowhere is this more apparent than on “Blues In The Morning.”
Keith sounds more like Carl Perkins than Muddy on this one. Whoever engineered this record understands space in a way that is rarer than good intentions on prom night.

Mick might be keen on power distance and private jets, but Keith plays the populist, a folk hero: inviting us into his Connecticut home in “Just A Gift.” The lines are telling:
“You should find me, ‘cause I’m hanging ‘round in bars with a lot of shooting stars … and they bore me.”

Now we hope and wait for some live shows, maybe just a few, maybe even just one that could be filmed and documented. In the grand scheme of things, that would be the icing on the cake.
If not oh well...given all the circumstances that have surrounded Keith and the Stones throughout their history, I'm just grateful we have this album and I'm loving it.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 1, 2015 22:17

So the reality as we stand today:

Less than 33,000 copies sold in the USA.
Just over 11,000 copies sold in England.

Keith continues to repeat the sames lines about putting the Winos back together.
A broken record.
Soon comes the silence.
I'm sad.

No Tour.

Turn a blind eyed Heart.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 1, 2015 22:49

straycatuk
I've listened to this album more times in the last 2 weeks than I have ABB in the decade since it's release...

Me too

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...176177178179180181182183184185186...LastNext
Current Page: 181 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home