Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...172173174175176177178179180181182...LastNext
Current Page: 177 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:45

CMH516
My only "observation" that I almost feel bad making- seems like you can really notice his dentures in the singing.
Anyone else notice the "whistling" quality on "s" sounds?

Keith has implants, not dentures, and he's had that characteristic s sound for decades.
It's one of a few ways he makes sure we can always hear him even when there are 17 other people singing.

All kinds of love and joy and blessings on Keith, for good

Date: September 29, 2015 00:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 19:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Keith is big in Japan
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:43

Well considering vocals are one of the major things which draw people to the music, some casual Stones fans aren't going to get past Keith's singing enough to be able to really appreciate the underlying music, and perhaps similarity to earlier Stones music like Beggars Banquet.

I'm not one of those who can't but Keith's vocals have been an acquired taste for me. Not so with some of my musician friends, some of whom are more than casual Stones fans. I'm not trying to dis Keith in any way, just share my experience about what people have said and perhaps justify my comments about Waits, Cohen, Dylan, et. al.

Re: Keith is big in Japan
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:50

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Naturalust
Turner68
StonedInTokyo
Naturalust
what is the target market for such a huge promo push?

Millions of CASUAL Stones fans.

exactly. fans of keith richards and the stones who don't follow IORR but who if they knew that keith had a new album out might buy it.

Hmmm. The record is pretty different from what I would suspect the typical "casual" Stones fan to appreciate. Nothing resembling a Jagger vocal on the record. lol There are bound to be some sales from the Stones association, but with the try before you buy market these days I'm thinking the real market for this record is with the Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, John Hiatt crowd...A Stones record this ain't.

If you're referring to Stones records from the last 30 + years, then you're probably right regarding "A Stones record this ain't", but haven't we discussed that already?.
This has the pure vintage Stones sound and feel that most fans have been hankering for for decades, and aside from no Mick on vocals, this is everything a casual Stones fan
would want or need (not to mention all the fans on this site who love it). One things for sure, all the casual Stones fans that I know LOVE this stuff (!!!), and many have purchased it for themselves.
Doubtful they're deeply into Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, or John Hiatt by any stretch...but definitely most have some knowledge and appreciation for Bob Dylan.
And as my 22 yr. old niece said (who is far from a diehard Stones fan): "I HOPE the next Stones album sounds as good as this". We can only hope and dream along with her...

Well said. Makes perfect sense. The music and its roots that the Stones (only somewhat, though) have estranged themselves from is featured here in a warts and all-way that Stones fans feel connected with. The caricature riffs and the cliches are gone, only the songs matter. We needed this album now, and I hope it helps building up to the Stones miling the same vein with an album as well.

Yes the caricature riffs and cliches are gone, and the production value has been brought back to what it once was when it sounded like real musicians playing real instruments.
No gimmickery. No tinkering with the drum sound. No studio Perfection where everything is sterlilized beyond all humanity. In other words, no bullcrap!

And briefly back to 'casual fan' - I suppose that depends on one's defention what of that is. When I think of 'casual fan', I see a fan who is mostly familiar with the greatest hits of an artist.
It just so happens the Stones haven't had a true greatest hit in over 30+ years, at least one that echo's and defines who they are historically.
Of all the greatest hits packages the Stones have released, it is an oddity for their to be anything from the last 30+ years (if there is anything at all).
Newlyrecorded Don't Stop, Doom and Gloom, etc., certainly don't count. And one just needs to take at their setlists, where a majority of everything the play is 30+ years old.
The casual fan is someone who mostly knows their greatest hits, and someone who will be pleased to see them played live in concert. The Stones aim to please.
And for that reason, they are the ones who would love to hear something new from the Stones that harkens back to the days when they sounded like a real band, and not a machine.
Anything pre- 1980 (give or take) would do wonders for the band, for both the casual fans and die-hards alike. I'm not talking about regurgitating, or an attempt at re-writing, or re-imagining the songs they're known for. I'm talking about getting back to the roots production-wise along with some original tunes, and we may end up with something that sounds like a truly real and great band (see Keith's Crosseyed Heart).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:08

Charts debuts so far:

#3 Germany
#4 Norway
#4 Netherlands
#5 New Zealand
#6 Japan (8,139)
#6 Czech Republic
#6 Argentina
#7 UK (11,302)
#7 France (5,800)
#7 Italy
#7 Sweden
#8 Belgium-Walloon
#10 Belgium-Flemish
#11 Canada
#15 Australia
#19 Ireland
#29 Finland

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:15

is there such thing as a worldwide chart? if so it looks like keith broke into the top 10 world, even if in the US he comes in at 11 or 12.

Date: September 29, 2015 02:19

Those are pretty staggering results in the most positive way!
When are U.S. results...tomorrow?

Good old Keith, dominating against so many odds... thumbs up

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 29, 2015 04:22

OH Keef....swoon. Just listening again...smiling smiley to "Nothin on me..."

My rude child just said "you think they put him in Guantanamo Bay "

HAHA

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 06:58

May have been mentioned before but "Nothin on Me" is such a cool bookend to Before They Make Me Run. The anger/ fear/ defiance/ resignation of youth in '78 giving way to the wisdom and maturity and cool confidence of '15.

When I've thought about the possibility of a new Stones release in recent years, my biggest hope is that they would do something completely free of expectation. Not beholden to any new trend nor any obligation to repeat past work, just music that sounds like they are enjoying it and each other.

That's what Keith has done here. Just an amazing passion project that seems to say to the world "sure hope you like it but it's cool if you don't. we had a hell of a time making it".

Would love to get that same sort of vibe from a Stones record just one last time.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 29, 2015 07:05

CMH516
May have been mentioned before but "Nothin on Me" is such a cool bookend to Before They Make Me Run. The anger/ fear/ defiance/ resignation of youth in '78 giving way to the wisdom and maturity and cool confidence of '15.

When I've thought about the possibility of a new Stones release in recent years, my biggest hope is that they would do something completely free of expectation. Not beholden to any new trend nor any obligation to repeat past work, just music that sounds like they are enjoying it and each other.

That's what Keith has done here. Just an amazing passion project that seems to say to the world "sure hope you like it but it's cool if you don't. we had a hell of a time making it".

Would love to get that same sort of vibe from a Stones record just one last time.

*Yes, agree 100%.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 29, 2015 08:18

georgelicks
Charts debuts so far:

#3 Germany
#4 Norway
#4 Netherlands
#5 New Zealand
#6 Japan (8,139)
#6 Czech Republic
#6 Argentina
#7 UK (11,302)
#7 France (5,800)
#7 Italy
#7 Sweden
#8 Belgium-Walloon
#10 Belgium-Flemish
#11 Canada
#15 Australia
#19 Ireland
#29 Finland

smileys with beer. ...and now i'm waiting for US!
Go Keef!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 29, 2015 08:54

"Is there such thing as a worldwide chart? if so it looks like keith broke into the top 10 world, even if in the US he comes in at 11 or 12".

Turner68, I think there are two worldwide charts (geoegelicks knows better, of course). "Media Traffic Global Chart" seems to be the most detailed of them. But not Keith's week so far. Maybe tomorrow.

At "Album Chart Archive" part of the site, i see a nice coincidence... Ten years ago, exacltly 10 years, on weeks 38 and 39 (Sept. 24 and Oct. 1) at #1 on Global Chart was "A Bigger Bang". Now we're waiting Keith's album, somewhere on Top 10 (I hope...).

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: September 29, 2015 09:07

Keith, you nailed this. It's all there; juicy hooks, great playing, production, and lyrics. Way to go, baby.

Date: September 29, 2015 10:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 19:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 29, 2015 11:47

georgelicks
Charts debuts so far:

#3 Germany
#4 Norway
#4 Netherlands
#5 New Zealand
#6 Japan (8,139)
#6 Czech Republic
#6 Argentina
#7 UK (11,302)
#7 France (5,800)
#7 Italy
#7 Sweden
#8 Belgium-Walloon
#10 Belgium-Flemish
#11 Canada
#15 Australia
#19 Ireland
#29 Finland

forget about that chart stuff – it depends so much on who releases an album at the same time/the same week, i.e. on coincidence

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 29, 2015 13:50

just went on Billboard sight and Crosseyed Heart came in at # 11. Very respectful.

Date: September 29, 2015 13:57

thumbs up
Bashlets
just went on Billboard sight and Crosseyed Heart came in at # 11. Very respectful.

Date: September 29, 2015 14:22

Date: September 29, 2015 14:24

Bashlets

Sorry Bashlets, it isn't #8?[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 29, 2015 15:11

In comparison, I wonder what were the Chart debuts of his first two releases?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 29, 2015 15:30

#11 on the Billboard 200 (which includes sales/streaming)
#8 on Top Album Sales (no streaming included)

It sold 33,000 copies.

Date: September 29, 2015 15:53

georgelicks
#11 on the Billboard 200 (which includes sales/streaming)
#8 on Top Album Sales (no streaming included)

It sold 33,000 copies.

Thanks GL!

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: September 29, 2015 16:11

I was in Tokyo over the weekend, desperately trying to get my hands of a copy. The first two record stores I visited were both sold out, before getting my hands on a CD and vinyl at the wonderful Tower Records in Shibuya. Looks like it's been well received in Japan. Some wonderful displays celebrating the album in a few of the stores. My secondary goal on locating a used vinyl copy of Main Offender somewhere in the myriad of backroom LP stores in Tokyo was not as successful.

Finally finished my first proper listen after a week of bits and pieces on Spotify. This is a superb album. Nothing on Me (what a track!), Illusion, Amnesia, Robbed Blind, Substantial Damage, Blues in the Morning (what a way to send Bobby out!)... just wonderful. Going to be spinning this one for a long while yet. Am I alone in thinking the Scratch Perry version of Love Overdue is much better than the album version?

It's a shame my native Australia didn't quite jump on the train like many other nations... #15? C'mon guys.

That's all I got.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 16:12 by OneHit.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 16:53

Great news about Crosseyed Heart's chart debut!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 17:21 by Turner68.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:05

Go keef Go !!!
Cheers Mate !!!
jeroen

Date: September 29, 2015 17:19

I purchased my copy last week in LA at Amoeba Music on Sunset, having enjoyed the free in store Gary Clark Jr gig to promote his new album (which is excellent by the way)! Several songs stand out on Crosseyed Heart even after just the first listen, will be getting better acquainted over the next few days.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:08

Waddy Wachtel has listed credits for Crosseyed heart on his website that includes David Porter as credit on Lover's Plea and also DeCurtis gets a credit for the liner notes!!

Keith Richards

Crosseyed Heart 2015
Label: Universal Records

Tracks:
1. Crosseyed Heart (K. Richards)
2. Heartstopper (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
3. Amnesia (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
4. Robbed Blind (K. Richards)
5. Trouble (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
6. Love Overdue (G. Isaacs)
7. Nothing On Me (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
8. Suspicious (K. Richards)
9. Blues in the Morning (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
10. Something For Nothing (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
11. Illusion (K. Richards, S. Jordan, N. Jones)
12. Just a Gift (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
13. Goodnight Irene (H. Ledbetter, J. A. Lomax)
14. Substantial Damage (K. Richards, S. Jordan)
15. Lover's Plea (K. Richards, S. Jordan, D. Porter)

Credits:
Clifton Anderson - Trombone (6)
Kevin Batchelor - Trumpet (6)
Larry Campbell - Fiddle (12), Pedal Steel (2, 4), Violin (2)
Ben Cauley - Trumpet (15)
Blondie Chaplin - Background Vocals (11, 12, 13, 15)
Sarah Dash - Background Vocals (14)
Pierre de Beauport - Acoustic Guitar (14), Guitar Technician
Charles Dougherty - Tenor Saxophone (6)
Babi Floyd - Background Vocals (11)
Bernard Fowler - Background Vocals (5, 6, 11, 13, 15)
Jack Hale - Trombone (15)
Harlem Gospel Choir - Choir/Chorus Background Vocals (10)
Charles Hodges - Hammond Organ (7, 10, 14, 15) Piano (10)
Jim Horn - Baritone Saxophone (15)
Norah Jones - Lead Vocals (11)
Steve Jordan - Drums (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15), Horn Arrangements (15), Percussion (5, 6), Piano (6), Timpani (11), Vibraphone (11), Congas (7), Background Vocals (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Bobby Keys - Saxophone (3, 9)
Lannie McMillan - Tenor Saxophone (15)
Aaron Neville - Background Vocals (7)
Ivan Neville - Hammond Organ (6), Background Vocals (6), Wurlitzer (15)
Paul Nowinski - Bass (4), Gamba (12), Viola (12)
Spooner Oldham - Hammond Organ (15)
David Paich - Farfisa Organ (8)
Pino Palladino - Bass (11)
Keith Richards - Lead Vocals (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15), Acoustic Guitar (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14), Electric Guitar (2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15), Bass (2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15), Keyboards (6), Farfisa Organ (8, 11), Piano (2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), Electric Sitar (8), Tiple (12), Background Vocals (3, 5, 13, 14, 15), Wurlitzer (8)
Lester Snell - Horn Arrangements (15)
Meegan Voss - Background Vocals (3, 8)
Waddy Wachtel - Acoustic Guitar (8), Electric Guitar (2, 5, 8), Slide Guitar (14), Electric Guitar Solo (10), Background Vocals (8)

Keith Richards - Producer, Mixing, Art Direction, Original Cover Artwork
Steve Jordan - Producer, Mixing
Dave O'Donnell - Engineer, Mixing
Kenta Yonesaka - Assistant Engineer
Andy Taub - Assistant Mixing Engineer
Adam Tilzer - Assistant Mixing Engineer
Yohei Goto - Engineer
Lawrence "Boo" Mitchell - Engineer
Greg Calbi - Mastering
Steve Fallone - Mastering Assistant
Jane Rose - Photography. Manager
Pierre de Beauport - Guitar Technician
Artie Smith - Drum Technician
Matt Long - Production Coordination
Rachel Ruderman - Album Coordinator
David Gorman - Art Direction, Design
Mark Seliger - Cover Photo, Portraits
Kevin Mazur - Session Photographer
Anthony DeCurtis - Liner Notes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 18:18 by tumbled.

Date: September 29, 2015 18:37

# 2 on Amazon's chart, # 8 on Billboard's top albums sales, top 10 in many countries...i'm very happy for Keef! He deserves it!

Date: September 29, 2015 18:40

KRiffhard
# 2 on Amazon's chart, # 8 on Billboard's top albums sales, top 10 in many countries...i'm very happy for Keef! He deserves it!
smileys with beer

Recipe for next Stones album...

Subtract the song list posted above.
Add Charlie, Mick, and Ronnie, (and maybe Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on a song or two, or more)
Write new songs (Keith being the main architect).
Everything else stays the same give or take a bit of credit shuffling (RIP to those who are no longer with us).
Keep it simple.

Voilà. Bon appétit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 18:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 29, 2015 19:02

Hairball

Recipe for next Stones album...

Subtract the song list posted above.
Add Charlie, Mick, and Ronnie, (and maybe Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on a song or two, or more)
Write new songs (Keith being the main architect).
Everything else stays the same give or take a bit of credit shuffling (RIP to those who are no longer with us).
Keep it simple.

Voilà. Bon appétit.

First of all make sure that Mick´s home demos are erased and there are no back up copies. Put Keith in charge and close the doors for ex-Stones. Let do Keith the production, he produced Crosseyed Heart, so he can produce a Stones-record as well.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...172173174175176177178179180181182...LastNext
Current Page: 177 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home