Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 19:35

Georgelicks, how many copies has it sold in US and UK in a week?!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:16

DandelionPowderman
It's sensational that Keith can do that well on the charts. He's 71! thumbs up

Well he's also one of the most identifiable rock stars on the planet, has a huge PR machine pumping this to the max, has a supporting documentary released at the same time, had done countless interviews and other spots, is coming off a huge NA Stones tour, etc etc. He's probably working harder to promote the record than he did to make it! lol

CrossEyed Heart comes up as an ad in just about every internet site I visit, it's amazing to me how well they are saturating the advertising market with this record. It might be just because sites these days are able to zero in on your interests with all the data collection they are doing but it any case it's impressive.

Don't get me wrong, couldn't happen to a better or more deserving guy and I like the record, but it's hard to say this is happening on the strength of the music alone. The real test will be how long this one stays on the charts once the promotional machinery dies down, imo. Will word of mouth and incidences of people hearing the tunes cause additional people to seek the record out?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:19

And now i finally have my cd. I got the bonus track best buy version, of course!

Like many others, I had a few that didn't do it for me to start, such as Nothing On Me, Goodnight Irene, and especially Illusion. But somehow each one has won me over, I think they are all superb, and oddly Illusion is now one of my favorites!

I still think I go with my original favs, Heartstopper and Robbed Blind are king, and Love Overdue right up there w/ them. Oh and can't forget the amazing blues acoustic on the title track, just love it!!

One last thing ... Keith's vocals have never been better!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:21

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Well he's also one of the most identifiable rock stars on the planet, has a huge PR machine pumping this to the max, has a supporting documentary released at the same time, had done countless interviews and other spots, is coming off a huge NA Stones tour, etc etc. He's probably working harder to promote the record than he did to make it! lol

CrossEyed Heart comes up as an ad in just about every internet site I visit, it's amazing to me how well they are saturating the advertising market with this record. It might be just because sites these days are able to zero in on your interests with all the data collection they are doing but it any case it's impressive.

Don't get me wrong, couldn't happen to a better or more deserving guy and I like the record, but it's hard to say this is happening on the strength of the music alone. The real test will be how long this one stays on the charts once the promotional machinery dies down, imo. Will word of mouth and incidences of people hearing the tunes cause additional people to seek the record out?

The success of albums on the charts is never on the strength of music alone, this is no different.

Yes, the ads on the internet are because they are using tracking. 99.99% of the world won't ever see an ad for Crosseyed Heart on the internet. But if you click on the amazon page for it once, or google it, you are likely to be inundated with ads for it for weeks. It's the state of the art in internet ads, which is obviously very poor still (e.g. they can't stop showing the ads once you've bought.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:22 by Turner68.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:24

My wife is digging this album and she's not exactly a Stones fan either. She likes them, likes STICKY FINGERS, HOT ROCKS, EOMS and listens to GHS, TY and U when I play them (she even has the original vinyl LP issue of ER with the poster) but she digs Keith.

She knows where the heart is.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:28

GasLightStreet
...she even has the original vinyl LP issue of ER with the poster...

I guess off topic, but I have that too, and never wanted to damage the poster, so I never unfolded it or taped in on the wall, or anything like that.

** edit ... I also never removed my stickers on the Undercover LP -- i was too young to see that stuff back then anyway!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:29 by LeonidP.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:29

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
...she even has the original vinyl LP issue of ER with the poster...

I guess off topic, but I have that too, and never wanted to damage the poster, so I never unfolded it or taped in on the wall, or anything like that.

Exactly!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:30

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Nice way to downplay Keith's great achievement Naturalust as seems to be your modus operandi, but can't say I totally disagree with you.
It's Keith sensory overload and genius marketing strategy all the way. Where will he turn up next?
In the big picture though, any sales or chart success doesn't really matter, does it?
I suppose it does if that's what someone bases musical success on,
but in the end it's the music itself that will stand on it's own for those who choose to let it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:32 by Hairball.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:34

Hairball
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Nice way to downplay Keith's great achievement Naturalust as seems to be your modus operandi, but can't say I totally disagree with you.
It's Keith sensory overload and genius marketing strategy all the way. Where will he turn up next?
In the big picture though, any sales or chart success doesn't really matter, does it?
but in the end it's the music itself that will stand on it's own for those who choose to let it.

His comments are totally fair and I say that as someone who disagrees with him often :-)

Album sales have always been and will always be very loosely relayed to the quality of music. Ask Robert Johnson, the velvet underground, or Justin beiber.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:37

oops edit: misread.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:57 by Hairball.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:41

Turner68

The success of albums on the charts is never on the strength of music alone, this is no different.

Yeah that was my point of course, they are indeed doing a great job with all the marketing of this one. I, like many here, probably also think it's kind of silly to be concerned about chart success, it's been a long time since I truly paid much attention to such things, certainly don't make a direct correlation to quality music.

One of the things I'm dying to know amid all this Keith success is what Mick thinks of the record, the marketing, the documentary, etc. Haven't heard a peep from Mick since the tour, no doubt he is laying low and allowing Keith his moment...but still.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:42

I think this LP will slowly sell. It'll be a sink in for fans. Word of mouth will be how it moves after this push.

Nice push too. People may actually be paying attention because it's not Stones overload. Keith, as a solo artist? He's hardly been around!

Date: September 25, 2015 20:45

Suspicious is killer. So many things going on in it! Keith's deep voice is hilarious, especially the way he says 'me'.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:49

Naturalust
Turner68

Yeah that was my point of course, they are indeed doing a great job with all the marketing of this one. I, like many here, probably also think it's kind of silly to be concerned about chart success, it's been a long time since I truly paid much attention to such things, certainly don't make a direct correlation to quality music.

One of the things I'm dying to know amid all this Keith success is what Mick thinks of the record, the marketing, the documentary, etc. Haven't heard a peep from Mick since the tour, no doubt he is laying low and allowing Keith his moment...but still.

Yes I interpret his silence as "playing nice". They clearly have a shared PR
Calendar, Keith kept a lid on all this until the tour was over; now Keith's turn; my guess is that we will hear from mick when he starts promoting "vinyl" the new HBO series - hopefully he has been super involved in that!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:50

Green Lady
I enjoy Blues In The Morning but I keep trying to work out where I've heard it before,
which suggests it isn't that original, but I can live with that.

Green Lady, it sounds to me like a standard rocked-up blues pattern (which is fine with me!)
If you listen to Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues, for example, and/or the Stones' Looking Tired that they based on 32-20,
I reckon you'll hear the similarities.

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:50

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Al this talk of 'this track has grown on me now' and 'give time time for it, it will grow on you'... Why is that the ratings supposed to go better as the time goes by? Like every record is like EXILE ON MAIN STREET?

If the net had been available in 1986, most likely I would praised DIRTY WORK as many people here seem to praise CROSSEYED HEART. Seemingly I don't think alike any longer.

Just sayin'.

- Doxa

Certain styles of music needs time before it creeps under your skin. It should come as no surprise that this album, without any immediate hits, belongs to that cathegory for many people?

+ 1
Well,KR never claimed to be one of those critically acclaimed (?) artists in any league. He took over from those before him. thankd!

Date: September 25, 2015 20:54

Hopefully Keith will 'play as nice' for Mick's Vinyl as Mick has been with Keith's release,
but something tells me he'll have something to say about it one way or the other.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:58

Naturalust
Turner68

Yeah, album sales anymore are even less relevant than before. Selling 27 something thousand now gets you near the top ten. Ten or twenty years ago its about 40 or 50th in the US charts. It gets Keith a high debut, but I doubt it sold more than his other albums out of the gate, whether they came in at 30 or 40 or wherever. It does seem to have helped him more than Mick was when he did "Being Mick" and other assorted promo, though.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:09

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:13

Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68

Yes I interpret his silence as "playing nice". They clearly have a shared PR
Calendar, Keith kept a lid on all this until the tour was over; now Keith's turn; my guess is that we will hear from mick when he starts promoting "vinyl" the new HBO series - hopefully he has been super involved in that!

Your probably right, I completely forgot about "vinyl". It's not quite the same with a something like a TV series though, usually the actors are the ones doing the promotional work, hard to say how they might use Mick for such PR.

You do have to hand it to Keith for sitting on the record for so long, knowing it was good, that must have been a bit tough. Mick probably wouldn't have dome the same and would have postponed the Stones tour instead of his solo record. Actually considering the money involved, probably not but as Jimmy Page said about the release of One Hit, "you know how Mick is". LOL smoking smiley

Date: September 25, 2015 21:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 25, 2015 21:23

F*#K "Luke Bryan".....leaving Keith without a Top 10 spot in the US

georgelicks

On physical sales is #9, but it will be #11 on the Billboard 200 which includes streams.
It was a bad week to release the album, too many high profile albums out.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:42

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

True, but his apparatus was just as good in 1992 + he was younger, more active and way healthier. So, there was a lot of stuff telling us he would have trouble making a real impact (apart from on the die hards) this time around?

There was more buzz around talk is cheap. The stones battles were front and center and Keith had never done a solo record. He played on SNL his video got good rotation on MTV etc. sure there wasn't Under the influence but there was hail hail rock n roll.

I am happy for his chart success but think in the long run only the music matters and that is where crosseyed heart shines.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 21:49 by Turner68.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:44

Hairball
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I assure you I'm not trying to downplay Keith's achievement, just making a statement about chart success and what it might require to achieve that in 2015 in response to DP's statement about how spectacular it was for Keith to do this at 71. Of course he's right and it is great but artists can achieve chart success posthumously and artists who are strongly marketed can achieve it with crap music and a good music video. I would like the album just as well if it didn't make the top 100 or Keith was only 50 years old.

Dandie, I'm not so sure Keith did have as good as PR apparatus in place in 92, perhaps he had some of the same people (Jane Rose et al) but it seems they are getting better at what they do and no doubt the market is a different animal. Not sure if Jane is taking on new business but you get the feeling any artist would be well served to have her on their team.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:47

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I assure you I'm not trying to downplay Keith's achievement, just making a statement about chart success and what it might require to achieve that in 2015 in response to DP's statement about how spectacular it was for Keith to do this at 71. Of course he's right and it is great but artists can achieve chart success posthumously and artists who are strongly marketed can achieve it with crap music and a good music video. I would like the album just as well if it didn't make the top 100 or Keith was only 50 years old.

Dandie, I'm not so sure Keith did have as good as PR apparatus in place in 92, perhaps he had some of the same people (Jane Rose et al) but it seems they are getting better at what they do and no doubt the market is a different animal. Not sure if Jane is taking on new business but you get the feeling any artist would be well served to have her on their team.

The pr in 92 was awful. For talk is cheap though it was fantastic. Main offender was instantly recognized by the press as A weak follow up to talk is cheap.

Talk is cheap was extremely well received critically - better than Crosseyed Heart has been based on the reviews. I remember in the states the "alternative" stations that usually only played stuff like the violent femmes and REM (and definitely not the stones or Led or Queen) put Talk is Cheap into rotation on their playlists. Talk is Cheap was the first album since Tatoo You that Stones fans could boast of to their non-Stones fans friends and everyone would agree; this was reflected in the press. Main Offender was a dud IMO.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 21:55 by Turner68.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:58

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 25, 2015 22:07

UK Sales:

1 David Gilmour 48,075
2 Lana Del Rey 28,391
3 Jess Glynne 16,262
4 Cliff Richard 16,131
5 The Stereophonics 12,362
6 Drake & Future 12,038
7 Keith Richards 11,302
8 Ed Sheeran 10,365
9 Bring Me The Horizon 9,073
10 James Bay 8,128

From Music Week:

"A charter member of The Rolling Stones, who delivered their 22nd and most recent studio album A Bigger Bang a little over 10 years ago, Keith Richard has always been a little more reticent in releasing solo albums, and prior efforts Talk is Cheap (1988) and Main Offender (1992) haven't really set the chart alight, with respective peaks of number 37 and number 45. However, with Radio Two airing first single Trouble upwards of 50 times already (it peaked at #64 on the Airplay Top 100 chart), the 71 year old's third album Crosseyed Heart debuts at number seven (11,302 sales). Including Rolling Stones releases, it is his 51st chart album. Its debut comes 15 weeks after the releases of deluxe and super deluxe editions saw The Rolling Stones' classic 1971 album Sticky Fingers return to the Top 10 at #7 too."

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 25, 2015 22:36

with sssoul
Green Lady
I enjoy Blues In The Morning but I keep trying to work out where I've heard it before,
which suggests it isn't that original, but I can live with that.

Green Lady, it sounds to me like a standard rocked-up blues pattern (which is fine with me!)
If you listen to Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues, for example, and/or the Stones' Looking Tired that they based on 32-20,
I reckon you'll hear the similarities.

yes! that sounds right!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 25, 2015 22:42

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

True, but his apparatus was just as good in 1992 + he was younger, more active and way healthier. So, there was a lot of stuff telling us he would have trouble making a real impact (apart from on the die hards) this time around?

There was more buzz around talk is cheap. The stones battles were front and center and Keith had never done a solo record. He played on SNL his video got good rotation on MTV etc. sure there wasn't Under the influence but there was hail hail rock n roll.

I am happy for his chart success but think in the long run only the music matters and that is where crosseyed heart shines.

CH met the Sept. 30 deadline for the 2016 Grammys, pretty sure it will get some type of nomination in December. Grammy nominations are a sales bump like the Oscars and movie sales

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 22:42 by Maindefender.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 25, 2015 22:43

Sorry if it has been reported on previous pages, but I just saw some deputs on Global Chart:

Germany #3
Netherlands #4
Japan #6

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home