Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...233234235236237238239240241242243...LastNext
Current Page: 238 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 4, 2015 16:26

Solo-albums shouldnt be compared to Stones-albums anyway. When the dust once has settled it will be clear for anybody to see that Crosseyed Heart is a good solid album, nothing more, nothing less. You might say it is much better than expected but you cant say it is a masterpiece that stands alongside with the Stones´ best albums (LIB, BB, SF, Undercover, DW..).

More or less Keith stuck to his old formula adding nothing new and that is exactly what the Stones will do if they should indeed record a new album.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: December 4, 2015 16:31

there is no dust to settle. the songs are very beautiful. it has nothing to do with the stones. that's a separate entity. apples and oranges. I don't know why people feel threatened by a songwriter making his own album. I guess a lot of people depend on the stones for their living and they are threatened by anything that might conceivably take away from that. that's the ball and chain for real. luckily apparently keith doesn't see the stones as a ball and chain but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes imprisoned by a very limiting genre.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 4, 2015 18:33

tumbled
there is no dust to settle. the songs are very beautiful. it has nothing to do with the stones. that's a separate entity. apples and oranges. I don't know why people feel threatened by a songwriter making his own album. I guess a lot of people depend on the stones for their living and they are threatened by anything that might conceivably take away from that. that's the ball and chain for real. luckily apparently keith doesn't see the stones as a ball and chain but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes imprisoned by a very limiting genre.
thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2015 19:09

HMS
Solo-albums shouldnt be compared to Stones-albums anyway. When the dust once has settled it will be clear for anybody to see that Crosseyed Heart is a good solid album, nothing more, nothing less. You might say it is much better than expected but you cant say it is a masterpiece that stands alongside with the Stones´ best albums (LIB, BB, SF, Undercover, DW..).

More or less Keith stuck to his old formula adding nothing new and that is exactly what the Stones will do if they should indeed record a new album.

Hahaha I had to do a double take when I read Undercover and DW.
Got to hand it to you HMS - you stick to your guns. thumbs up

With that said, it can and should be compared to Stones albums as Keith is/was the backbone and main architect of the band when they were at their best.
Agreed it is much better than expected, and for me (imo) it is a masterpiece that indeed stands along some of the Stones best albums - Undercover and DW not included.
Not saying it's better than BB, LIB, SF, or Exile, but it fit's in nicely somewhere amidst the best of their catalogue (pre-1981).

If as you say Keith stuck to his old formula, and the Stones will stick to their old formula if they record a new album , hopefully they (Mick) will take a closer look at Keith's winning formula.
After all, he is/was the backbone and main architect of the band when they were at their best, and Crosseyed Heart is the proof in the pudding.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 4, 2015 23:14

Of course Keith's albums can be compared with Stones' albums. With who else should I compare him? Lady Gaga? Mick Jagger? Be serious.
And I still have no idea why it's such a crime to draw certain similarities between EOMS and CH.
They both have at least one musicion in common. They both are well played. They both are full of winks to blues, country, soul. Neither has any outstanding commercial hits, but they are full of very good songs. You can listen to both without having to skip filler or worse. They both have a lot of black and white on their cover sleeves, they are both made after the second world war.
When you compare two things, you are not saying they are the same. When I compare tea with coffee, I am not saying they are the same thing.
But for some weird reason, the idea has risen that when you compare EOMS with CH, then automatically you think CH is the best thing ever happened this side of the French revolution, hate everything Jagger does and eat Sheppards Pie every day. Twice.
Personally, if anybody would feel the need to compare Wandering Spirit to EOMS I would wish him all the luck in the world. They have at least the same singer.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 23:27

Yes it is hard to keep track of the all the rules we are expected to follow- how many times it is ok to praise an album, what albums it is ok to compare to, etc!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 5, 2015 11:49

matxil
Of course Keith's albums can be compared with Stones' albums. With who else should I compare him? Lady Gaga? Mick Jagger? Be serious.
And I still have no idea why it's such a crime to draw certain similarities between EOMS and CH.
They both have at least one musicion in common. They both are well played. They both are full of winks to blues, country, soul. Neither has any outstanding commercial hits, but they are full of very good songs. You can listen to both without having to skip filler or worse. They both have a lot of black and white on their cover sleeves, they are both made after the second world war.
When you compare two things, you are not saying they are the same. When I compare tea with coffee, I am not saying they are the same thing.
But for some weird reason, the idea has risen that when you compare EOMS with CH, then automatically you think CH is the best thing ever happened this side of the French revolution, hate everything Jagger does and eat Sheppards Pie every day. Twice.
Personally, if anybody would feel the need to compare Wandering Spirit to EOMS I would wish him all the luck in the world. They have at least the same singer.

Saying that CH is the same kind of album as EOMS (as it is in the ways maxtil has described) is not saying that it's of the same quality.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 5, 2015 22:59

Considering there are 43 years between EOMS and CH , its a brilliant attempt by Keith to deliver an album that proves the man is still at the peak of his powers, and this album compares well to most Stones albums. Ok maybe not EOMS but still, its a bloody good attempt imho

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2015 23:22

HMS

The Stones' last masterpieces was TATTOO YOU. The list of Stones masterpieces does not include UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK nor anything after. Only a lunatic would think that is true. A true Stones fan knows better.

Second of all, as it's been pointed out, who else would Keith be compared to? Of course if it's good it will be compared to Stones albums. As of right now CROSSEYED HEART is better than the following Stones albums:

12X5
BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL
BLACK AND BLUE
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
UNDERCOVER
DIRTY WORK
STEEL WHEELS
VOODOO LOUNGE
BRIDGES TO BABYLON
A BIGGER BANG

It's also better than any of Jagger's solo albums.

What it can be compared to as well is TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER.

Any Stones fan would be lucky if they stuck to Keith's "old formula adding nothing new". Although if you don't count new songs as "new" then you need to go get dropped on your head again to right that goofy snow globe you be wearin'.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2015 23:31

Green Lady
matxil

Saying that CH is the same kind of album as EOMS (as it is in the ways maxtil has described) is not saying that it's of the same quality.

And there lies the truth of the matter. Anyone can compare records and come up with a list of similarities, and while CH is good record by Keith, as a Stones fan I find the comparisons to Exile quite comical. Mostly because I, like so many others, have really come to cherish Exile and seem to always continue to get joy from it. Songs like Sweet Virginia, Let It Loose (and others) just eclipse any single tune on Keith's record for me. Personally I've already gleaned Keith's record for most of what it can give me and although I've tried a few more listens, it already seems to have a bit of diminishing returns.

This is just my opinion about it, I'm sure there are fans who can't get enough of it, find new things to like about it with each listen and think it will remain a classic forever. These things are so subjective there is no right and wrong opinion. I'm as proud of Keith as anyone for this release, happy he made the effort to share a bit of his heart and soul with us. It certainly has a genuine authentic feel to it and that is the main attraction for me...more so that any individual tune or performance.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2015 23:41

I'm going to guess that the comparison to EXILE is it has a similar spirit. Obviously it's not like EXILE but it's like EXILE - a lot of different things going on.

Date: December 6, 2015 01:36

Still loving the album, and know it's a better than any Stones album since Tattoo You (imo) - I'm pretty sure nothing will change that opinion. From start to finish, there's a flow and particular vibe in the production that no other Stones album has had since then. I'd even say at this point that I like it better as a whole than Black and Blue (although Hand of Fate and Hot Stuff are essential). Again, the comparisons are only natural to make with any Stones album - including Exile with which it has a similar flow and all around vibe. Wouldn't say it's better, that would be like saying one of Jimmy Page or Robert Plants solo albums are better than Physical Graffitti (their best imo). But it wouldn't be too far-fetched to think either of them surpassed In Through The Outdoor (their weakest imo). Not being a huge fan of any of their material outside Led Zeppelin, I'd hesitate to say that, but I'm sure there are those who would.

The gist of it all is that Keith has written and recorded timeless songs on Crosseyed Heart that many people love. Some enjoy it more than others, some have had enough of it, and some can't get enough of it. Some like to discuss it in the context of the entire Stones catalogue - including Exile (is that a sin?). Seems pretty simple to talk about comparisons and what they have in common which happens to be alot - #1 is the obvious fact that Keith played guitar and wrote songs for both. Can't please all the people all of the time, but Keith has released a solo album that has pleased many - most importantly himself, but also most Stones fans as well as critics across the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 01:38 by Hairball.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 6, 2015 03:19

Hairball
HMS

Hahaha I had to do a double take when I read Undercover and DW.
Got to hand it to you HMS - you stick to your guns. thumbs up

+1

smiling bouncing smiley thumbs up

Date: December 6, 2015 03:42

After posting the wiki link/ review stats the other day, I revisited the reviews listed in which some were familiar (Mojo, NME, Rolling Stone), but don't recall reading this 4 of 5 star from the Guardian.
Apologies if already posted, but I don't remember seeing this here (or in Rockmans thread). Might be a case of amnesia if it was, but better late than never. thumbs up

Crosseyed Heart – everything a fan could hope for

The Rolling Stone’s first solo album in 23 years contains exactly what one might hope for. There are beautifully played old blues songs, storming Stonesy rockers (Heartstopper, the ferocious Blues in the Morning), a sublime Gregory Isaacs reggae cover (Love Overdue) and outlaw songs about evading the authorities (Trouble). There’s dry humour in a touching lament about, ahem, the theft of a “stash” (Robbed Blind, in which he cackles: “The cops, I can’t involve them”) and the jerkily funny Amnesia, about the 2006 incident in which he fell out of a tree (“Thought I met my mother / She said: ‘You don’t belong to me’”). Contrarily, there are also several beautiful, heartfelt ballads. Richards’ fag-soaked voice isn’t as conventionally strong as Mick Jagger’s, but it is rich with character and knowing. The gorgeous Nothing on Me – about surviving whatever life throws at him – is as great a song as the 71-year-old has put his name to in decades. A terrific album, worthy of one of rock’s founding fathers.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 6, 2015 11:33

It's 12 weeks since its release in Germany and it is still in the Top 100 sales list.

Date: December 6, 2015 11:39

JJHMick
It's 12 weeks since its release in Germany and it is still in the Top 100 sales list.

thumbs up 400k worldwide

Date: December 6, 2015 11:47

Hairball
After posting the wiki link/ review stats the other day, I revisited the reviews listed in which some were familiar (Mojo, NME, Rolling Stone), but don't recall reading this 4 of 5 star from the Guardian.
Apologies if already posted, but I don't remember seeing this here (or in Rockmans thread). Might be a case of amnesia if it was, but better late than never. thumbs up

Crosseyed Heart – everything a fan could hope for

The Rolling Stone’s first solo album in 23 years contains exactly what one might hope for. There are beautifully played old blues songs, storming Stonesy rockers (Heartstopper, the ferocious Blues in the Morning), a sublime Gregory Isaacs reggae cover (Love Overdue) and outlaw songs about evading the authorities (Trouble). There’s dry humour in a touching lament about, ahem, the theft of a “stash” (Robbed Blind, in which he cackles: “The cops, I can’t involve them”) and the jerkily funny Amnesia, about the 2006 incident in which he fell out of a tree (“Thought I met my mother / She said: ‘You don’t belong to me’”). Contrarily, there are also several beautiful, heartfelt ballads. Richards’ fag-soaked voice isn’t as conventionally strong as Mick Jagger’s, but it is rich with character and knowing. The gorgeous Nothing on Me – about surviving whatever life throws at him – is as great a song as the 71-year-old has put his name to in decades. A terrific album,class"hy of one of rock’s founding fathers.

...another good review:
"...warm, swampy and deeply groovy concoction of rock, blues, country and soul, full of romantic tenderness and hard-earned wisdom, delivered in a spirit of pure vintage class
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 6, 2015 15:40

I'm sorry if I'm repetitive (but as we are on page 238 I might be excused if I don't remember or haven't read): Some of us has a Keith line "I nicked everything from Ry Cooder" or something like that. Ry Cooder might have introduced Goodnight Irene to him as Ry had it on his Chicken Skin Music long Player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 15:43 by JJHMick.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2015 18:32

HMS

So, are you saying that if I've bought "Talk Is Cheap" I can skip this one?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 6, 2015 19:15

treaclefingers
HMS

Not at all. You can drink orange juice every day, its rather a matter of thirst than taste. But dont expect any surprises. Keith has quenched our thirst and that of course felt good although orange juice tastes like orange juice even if you havent had a drink of orange juice for 23 years.

Date: December 6, 2015 19:16

HMS
treaclefingers
HMS

Not at all. You can drink orange juice every day, its rather a matter of thirst than taste. But dont expect any surprises. Keith has quenched our thirst and that of course felt good although orange juice tastes like orange juice even if you havent had a drink of orange juice for 23 years.

Just to be clear - you are not advocating drinking orange juice that has sat around for 23 years though?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2015 20:08

HMS
treaclefingers
HMS

thereby increasing your risk of canker sores. just isn't worth it IMHO.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: December 6, 2015 20:22

The record is fantastic. Steve Jordan has come a long way as a producer.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 7, 2015 02:59

After 10-11 weeks here are all the chart runs so far for the album:

Austria: 1-7-14-20-31-52-38-71-67-out
Argentina: 6-1-4-4-11-14-12-12-out
Germany: 3-10-16-23-30-34-53-70-86-88
Netherlands: 4-6-20-28-46-57-62-81-92-83-86
Swiss: 4-9-16-24-38-55-60-out
Norway: 4-5-13-14-37-out
New Zealand: 5-6-12-19-27-33-out
Czech Republic: 6-8-10-19-51-13-16-26-43-58
Japan: 6-13-36-21-30-49-69-73-out
Greece: 8-11-6-out
UK: 7-27-48-69-104-128-145-149-187-189
Italy: 7-27-31-39-61-95-0-78-out
Sweden: 7-17-31-39-out
France: 7-26-37-53-73-112-120-159-204-235
Denmark: 8-24-18-out
Belgium (Walloon): 8-15-24-33-49-80-82-0-123-174-133
Belgium (Flemish): 10-8-13-24-36-47-58-132-115-102-157
Canada: 11-out
USA: 11-45-74-117-192-out
Spain: 12-31-35-46-56-64-out
Portugal: 14-out
Australia: 15-41-58-93-out
Poland: 16-48-out
Ireland: 19-38-99-85-out
Finland: 29-25-out
South Korea: 81-out

Mediatraffic World chart: 4-15-19-18-34-40-out
World Sales after 10 weeks: 265,000

The album is still charting on Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, The UK, France and Belgium (Walloon & Flemish).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 7, 2015 03:09

Group hug!

Date: December 7, 2015 03:11

All those numbers are blinding georgelicks!

Considering I've never judged any albums success by sales, chart position, numbers and percentages -
it's nice to see it has done as well as it has (although you probably think it hasn't done as well as it could have).
Keith said awhile back that he surprised by the overwhelming success, and he should be very proud of the album that has made so many happy.
Cheers to Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, The UK, France and Belgium (Walloon & Flemish) for keeping it alive.thumbs up

Koen
Group hug!

Hahaha - smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-07 03:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 7, 2015 04:29

Hairball
it's nice to see it has done as well as it has (although you probably think it hasn't done as well as it could have)D

The album has sold ok in Europe but very bad in the U.S, I mean 70k sold in the States is very poor for an album and artist with loads of media coverage there, front cover of Rolling Stone and Billboard, interviews on TV and radio and, most importantly, his first solo album on 23 years and no Stones album on 10 years.
Main Offender was a flop too but it was after only 3 years of the multi-platinum Steel Wheels, 1 year after Flashpoint and only 4 years after Talk Is Cheap.
CH is his best album IMO, it deserved at least twice of the total sales.

Date: December 7, 2015 05:25

georgelicks
Hairball
it's nice to see it has done as well as it has (although you probably think it hasn't done as well as it could have)D

The album has sold ok in Europe but very bad in the U.S, I mean 70k sold in the States is very poor for an album and artist with loads of media coverage there, front cover of Rolling Stone and Billboard, interviews on TV and radio and, most importantly, his first solo album on 23 years and no Stones album on 10 years.
Main Offender was a flop too but it was after only 3 years of the multi-platinum Steel Wheels, 1 year after Flashpoint and only 4 years after Talk Is Cheap.
CH is his best album IMO, it deserved at least twice of the total sales.

As I said above , I've never judged any albums success by sales, chart position, numbers and percentages, but I suppose some people rely on it and let it shape their opinions.
But debuting at #11 in the US and #1 in Austria?!!! Not too bad for a 71 year old, and the fact that he was surprised by all the rave reviews and initial impact on the charts tells me he could care less about anything beyond that and what others expectations may have been. He certainly doesn't need the money or the accolades - he's well beyond and above that. What it boils down to is it's a great album according to many fans and critics - regardless of any stats, and that's really all that's going to matter in the big picture. Sure there will still be a few shaking their heads with disappointment and crunching the numbers trying to figure out why it didn't sell better. Unfortunately for them though, that will probably alter the way they experience and remember the album. Must be a headache with all that stuff flying around one's head - "nice album, bummer it didn't sell better". And there will be some who simply don't like it - never have and never will - but based on their own listening experience rather than having the charts telling them what to think. I on the other hand will still be listening to and loving this album for years based on the quality and enjoyment alone. Simple as that.

edit: Keith was on the front cover of Billboard? I must have missed that one...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-07 05:32 by Hairball.

Date: December 7, 2015 10:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-11 11:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 7, 2015 10:46

i believe it is a blended amount - i.e., the streams are counted as are the sales. not sure what equation they use to convert a paid stream to album sale equivalent.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...233234235236237238239240241242243...LastNext
Current Page: 238 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2192
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home