Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...231232233234235236237238239240241...LastNext
Current Page: 236 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 1, 2015 22:46

Crosseyed Heart Places In Rolling Stone Magazine’s Top 50 Albums Of 2015

Rolling Stone’s year-end wrap-up of 2015’s best albums says Crosseyed Heart is, “…shot through with a surprising, reflective urgency.”

[www.keithrichards.com]

Full article:

The Rolling Stones guitarist's first studio album outside his day job in 23 years opens with the short title fragment: Richards picking and singing a rare acoustic blues. It is rock's most enduring outlaw evoking the Delta ghosts and early-country spirits that still haunt and inspire his life and band – and a perfect entry into a record that is at once loud, ragged delight, driven by Richards' trademark barbed-treble riffs, and shot through with a surprising, reflective urgency. "They laid it on thick/They couldn't make it stick," Richards sings with gravelly defiance in "Nothing on Me." The guitarist also concedes the mounting price of age in "Amnesia," a song about fading strength and memories. Richards made Crosseyed Heart with reliable old friends including his late-Eighties side crew the X-Pensive Winos, singer Aaron Neville and the Stones' late saxophonist Bobby Keys, whose robust playing, among his last on record, underscores Richards' admission here that there is an end to every ride – and his determination to make every mile count.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 1, 2015 23:06

Cristiano Radtke
Crosseyed Heart Places In Rolling Stone Magazine’s Top 50 Albums Of 2015

Rolling Stone’s year-end wrap-up of 2015’s best albums says Crosseyed Heart is, “…shot through with a surprising, reflective urgency.”

[www.keithrichards.com]

Full article:

The Rolling Stones guitarist's first studio album outside his day job in 23 years opens with the short title fragment: Richards picking and singing a rare acoustic blues. It is rock's most enduring outlaw evoking the Delta ghosts and early-country spirits that still haunt and inspire his life and band – and a perfect entry into a record that is at once loud, ragged delight, driven by Richards' trademark barbed-treble riffs, and shot through with a surprising, reflective urgency. "They laid it on thick/They couldn't make it stick," Richards sings with gravelly defiance in "Nothing on Me." The guitarist also concedes the mounting price of age in "Amnesia," a song about fading strength and memories. Richards made Crosseyed Heart with reliable old friends including his late-Eighties side crew the X-Pensive Winos, singer Aaron Neville and the Stones' late saxophonist Bobby Keys, whose robust playing, among his last on record, underscores Richards' admission here that there is an end to every ride – and his determination to make every mile count.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Go Keef!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 1, 2015 23:35

Anything Rolling Stones or Keith or Commander solo always makes it to the Rolling Stone's top-lists. I guess even Dirty Work did...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:00

Stoneage
Anything Rolling Stones or Keith or Commander solo always makes it to the Rolling Stone's top-lists. I guess even Dirty Work did...

#17 is still a nice recognition for Keith

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:09

C'mon, he made Mojo and Uncut Top 50 also. Not quite as high as #17, but still. The album was well received.

Date: December 2, 2015 00:35

TeddyB1018
C'mon, he made Mojo and Uncut Top 50 also. Not quite as high as #17, but still. The album was well received.

Even better, I was trolling around for other top 50 but couldn't find others. Thanks Teddy

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:40

Nice Rolling Stone mag write up - and being #17 on a 50 Best Albums of 2015 list says alot anout the quality of the album. thumbs up

Aren't the Grammy nominations to be announced soon?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 00:48 by Hairball.

Date: December 2, 2015 00:47

edit: double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 00:48 by Hairball.

Date: December 2, 2015 01:37

TeddyB1018

Not quite true. He made it to place 74 of 75 on Uncut's Top 75 list. And number 39 on Mojo's Top 50 list. And I must say, looking through those lists; half of the names on those lists are unheard of from my part.
But on the other hand I don't listen to hundreds of new albums a year...

Date: December 2, 2015 04:09

Stoneage
TeddyB1018

Not quite true. He made it to place 74 of 75 on Uncut's Top 75 list. And number 39 on Mojo's Top 50 list. And I must say, looking through those lists; half of the names on those lists are unheard of from my part.

Same here which makes it even more surprising to see Keith anywhere on any of these lists.
Not bad for a 71 year old making waves on these 'best of' lists. Gotta give him some credit for that - well done Keith! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 04:10 by Hairball.

Date: December 2, 2015 05:56

Stoneage
TeddyB1018

Oops. Didn't recall that Uncut had 75 and not 50. I did remember that he was toward the bottom of their list. As for Grammies, those voters suck and have their own corporate agendas, so I wouldn't expect much.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: December 2, 2015 06:24

Posting this here because my rebuttal was not selected by Jim DeRogatis of Sound Opinions.

"I am calling to request Jim DeRogatis music critic card and
report that I love Crosseyed heart. While I can understand a misguided half-hearted review, Degoatis’ seemed like an attempt to ride the dusty coattails of the original rock an roll pirate via unwarranted negativity.

I can only reconcile Degoatis review by thinking he can’t handle what the rest of us who love Keith can.

Keith Richards has distilled through his roots that run from the colonizers, to the south by way of Chicago blues to Jamaican reggae, and back through our byways to folk singer barrooms, music that is as elemental as water or air and blood, that must be at least 50 proof.

Crosseyed heart’ s beats, riffs and vocals reveal, like a heart beat on an ultrasound, life.

Mr. Richards as the Times called him, has sucessfully delivered the music and made fans like me once again Happy."

Date: December 2, 2015 13:41

TeddyB1018
Stoneage
TeddyB1018

Oops. Didn't recall that Uncut had 75 and not 50. I did remember that he was toward the bottom of their list. As for Grammies, those voters suck and have their own corporate agendas, so I wouldn't expect much.

Nominations are this Monday the 7th.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: December 2, 2015 18:13

This one deserves a grammy.

Date: December 2, 2015 18:44

tumbled
This one deserves a grammy.

At least some sort of nomination.
As has been discussed/debated earlier, perhaps under the Americana category. Or even co-Producer with Steve Jordan.
More than likely a 'Living Legend' of 'Lifetime Achievment' award - if anyone deserves it at this point, it would be Keith imo.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2015 21:54

Here's Jimmy Page's answer about Keith's comments on Led Zeppelin:

"Jimmy Page has laughed of Keith Richards' recent disparaging comments about Led Zep, putting it down to the fact the Rolling Stones man was promoting a new solo album.

In an exclusive interview with Classic Rock magazine, the Zeppelin guitar icon says Richards must have had his tongue in his cheek when he described Led Zep as "hollow" due to John Bonham's thundering drum style.

Richards made the comments as he was promoting his solo album Crosseyed Heart, released in September.

Page says: "Keith can say what he wants. He’s Keith Richards. I think he’s done some amazing work. I respect his playing. And he has a solo album out. But if I was promoting a new album, would I be more caustic? The answer is… no.

"I’m not sure what he means by calling Led Zeppelin hollow. I think he’s got his tongue in his cheek. What we did was really cool."

[classicrock.teamrock.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 2, 2015 22:05

I guess Keith put GODDESS out of his mind! Certainly he would've liked WANDERING SPIRIT.

Keith Richards confesses he's never bothered to listen to Rolling Stones bandmate Mick Jagger's solo music

Keith Richards has claimed he's never listened to his Rolling Stones bandmate Sir Mick Jagger's "egotistic" solo albums.

The 71-year-old guitarist has never been bothered about supporting the frontman's independent career and can only remember two out of the four LPs he's released without the group.

Speaking to GQ magazine, he said: "...He really had nothing to say. What did he have, two albums? 'She's the Boss' and 'Primitive Cool'?"

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: December 2, 2015 22:34

GasLightStreet
I guess Keith put GODDESS out of his mind! Certainly he would've liked WANDERING SPIRIT.

Keith Richards confesses he's never bothered to listen to Rolling Stones bandmate Mick Jagger's solo music

Keith Richards has claimed he's never listened to his Rolling Stones bandmate Sir Mick Jagger's "egotistic" solo albums.

The 71-year-old guitarist has never been bothered about supporting the frontman's independent career and can only remember two out of the four LPs he's released without the group.

Speaking to GQ magazine, he said: "...He really had nothing to say. What did he have, two albums? 'She's the Boss' and 'Primitive Cool'?"

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Actually the interviewer Richard Burbridge was asked by Keith if he listened to any of Jagger's solos and he said "no". Keith replied "Nor have I. I'll leave it at that." Burbridge states in paragraph 4 GQ had been "urged against needling Mr. Richards to say nasty things about Mick as other interviewers have fruitfully done in the past." But as with all interviews the discussion ensued and Yada Yada. But Keith finally didn't take the bait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 22:35 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 2, 2015 22:41

Maindefender
GasLightStreet

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Actually the interviewer Richard Burbridge was asked by Keith if he listened to any of Jagger's solos and he said "no". Keith replied "Nor have I. I'll leave it at that." Burbridge states in paragraph 4 GQ had been "urged against needling Mr. Richards to say nasty things about Mick as other interviewers have fruitfully done in the past." But as with all interviews the discussion ensued and Yada Yada. But Keith finally didn't take the bait.

I find it a bit disingenuous that Keith admits he hasn't listened to the Jagger solo stuff yet has criticized it so often. My guess is that Jagger has listened to Keith's new record exactly once and not since. lol

Date: December 2, 2015 22:44

Cristiano Radtke
Here's Jimmy Page's answer about Keith's comments on Led Zeppelin:

"Jimmy Page has laughed of Keith Richards' recent disparaging comments about Led Zep, putting it down to the fact the Rolling Stones man was promoting a new solo album.

In an exclusive interview with Classic Rock magazine, the Zeppelin guitar icon says Richards must have had his tongue in his cheek when he described Led Zep as "hollow" due to John Bonham's thundering drum style.

Richards made the comments as he was promoting his solo album Crosseyed Heart, released in September.

Page says: "Keith can say what he wants. He’s Keith Richards. I think he’s done some amazing work. I respect his playing. And he has a solo album out. But if I was promoting a new album, would I be more caustic? The answer is… no.

"I’m not sure what he means by calling Led Zeppelin hollow. I think he’s got his tongue in his cheek. What we did was really cool."

[classicrock.teamrock.com]

I agree with Jimmy Page, although I don't think it was tongue-in-cheek. Keith's a grump!

Date: December 2, 2015 22:59

I thought it was Plant who Keith cited as the weak link in Led Zeppelin, though saying he liked Plant's more recent work. If so, I agree with him. Keith had a better frontman than Jimmy did, IMO.

Date: December 2, 2015 23:03

Recently he said he thinks Plant is the best. Or he went on to do something. Keith said he likes Plant.

Date: December 3, 2015 00:39

Page handled that with class..Keith is indeed a grump, but give him credit for not being afraid to voice his opinions.

Can't really blame him though for thinking that Mick only has two solo albums, if only it were true.
Wonder if he's ever heard of Superheavy.

Date: December 3, 2015 01:34

Naturalust
Maindefender
GasLightStreet

[www.mirror.co.uk]

I find it a bit disingenuous that Keith admits he hasn't listened to the Jagger solo stuff yet has criticized it so often. My guess is that Jagger has listened to Keith's new record exactly once and not since. lol

I guess it comes down to how you define "listen". I'm sure he have heard at least a couple of songs from the albums. Otherwise his criticism would look silly. This confirms my tenet that it was Sir Michael's ego that halted the Stones in the eighties. And from then on it was never the same. From the nineties and forward Sir Michael became more of a CEO for the band than anything else. Hence the Vegas Era...

Date: December 3, 2015 06:25

GasLightStreet
Recently he said he thinks Plant is the best. Or he went on to do something. Keith said he likes Plant.

He said he likes Plant's recent work. When he backhanded Led Zeppelin he praised Page.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 08:27

I am surprised that after all this talking and good reports , keith did no gigs to promote it. Very disappointing and weak choice

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 3, 2015 11:21

andrea66
I am surprised that after all this talking and good reports , keith did no gigs to promote it. Very disappointing and weak choice

thumbs up
Exactly.
But Keith Richards always claims that his first band is and always will be The Rolling Stones. For some reason (sentimental, I guess), even though musically speaking his solo work clearly is superior to the Stones output of the last 3 decades, he's still loyal to the idea of the band he made big.
But it's a real pity.
I'd have loved seeing him tour in Europe, in mid-sized concert halls, playing songs from Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender, and Crosseyed Heart.

Take It So Hard, Rockawhile, You Don't Move Me, How I Wish, Make No Mistake, Wicked As It Seems, Hate It When You Leave, Will But You Won't, Eileen, Trouble, Amnesia, Heartbreaker, Illusion, Lover's Plea, Something For Nothing.

I don't think that's a bad setlist at all. And he can add Happy and Before They Make Me Run.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 11:40

andrea66

agreed. but still thankful he did the album.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 14:58

best of 2015

Keith at 17 and now back to worksmoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 3, 2015 15:19

matxil
andrea66

thumbs up
Exactly.
But Keith Richards always claims that his first band is and always will be The Rolling Stones. For some reason (sentimental, I guess), even though musically speaking his solo work clearly is superior to the Stones output of the last 3 decades, he's still loyal to the idea of the band he made big.
But it's a real pity.
I'd have loved seeing him tour in Europe, in mid-sized concert halls, playing songs from Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender, and Crosseyed Heart.

Take It So Hard, Rockawhile, You Don't Move Me, How I Wish, Make No Mistake, Wicked As It Seems, Hate It When You Leave, Will But You Won't, Eileen, Trouble, Amnesia, Heartbreaker, Illusion, Lover's Plea, Something For Nothing.

I don't think that's a bad setlist at all. And he can add Happy and Before They Make Me Run.

Yes, a great shame.
And given the apparant lack of any Stones activity, he could have managed a short series of gigs sometime in October and or November. This would not have interfered with his day job.
Methinks that Keith's quote that he will go on forever, like the old blues men won't happen.Even some sets on T V shows would have been a reasonable compromise. As well as boosting the sales figures of course.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...231232233234235236237238239240241...LastNext
Current Page: 236 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home