Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...226227228229230231232233234235236...LastNext
Current Page: 231 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 8, 2015 21:21

treaclefingers
latebloomer
Stoneburst
Naturalust
I think what I'm noticing here is that as soon as someone like Doxa or whomever posts a somewhat critical post about CH, the same posters immediately follow up with some new element of one of the songs that makes the record so great and Keith such a genius, if not a more direct rebuttal. LOl It's pretty obvious who here is enamored with this record but pretty transparent that they also feel thIt simply means that he should have expected some push back when he made it personal and he got it and so have you, my friend...so have we all. To expect people not to respond is quite bewildering to me, as if that would be the only way to prove that they aren't in some camp.e need to defend it to all comers too. Sometimes the defense is just disguised in clever ways. Perhaps we should just have a limit that you can't post more that twice the number of songs on the record in this thread. I think most people should be able to get their points across in 30 posts. Ha!

Thus proving Doxa's original point - the oversensitivity when it comes to Keith around here is mindnumbing.

Ah, the old over sensitive card...always a good one to pull out when you don't like what someone has to say. Doxa knew when he wrote his Keithettes post that he'd get a flood of response....he's a big boy, I think he can take it.

I guess for those self-identifying as 'keithettes'. For me that speaks volumes.

It simply means that he should have expected some push back when he made it personal and he got it and so have you, my friend...so have we all. To expect people not to respond is quite bewildering to me, as if that would be the only way to prove that they aren't in some camp.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2015 21:27

latebloomer
treaclefingers
latebloomer
Stoneburst
Naturalust
I think what I'm noticing here is that as soon as someone like Doxa or whomever posts a somewhat critical post about CH, the same posters immediately follow up with some new element of one of the songs that makes the record so great and Keith such a genius, if not a more direct rebuttal. LOl It's pretty obvious who here is enamored with this record but pretty transparent that they also feel thIt simply means that he should have expected some push back when he made it personal and he got it and so have you, my friend...so have we all. To expect people not to respond is quite bewildering to me, as if that would be the only way to prove that they aren't in some camp.e need to defend it to all comers too. Sometimes the defense is just disguised in clever ways. Perhaps we should just have a limit that you can't post more that twice the number of songs on the record in this thread. I think most people should be able to get their points across in 30 posts. Ha!

Thus proving Doxa's original point - the oversensitivity when it comes to Keith around here is mindnumbing.

Ah, the old over sensitive card...always a good one to pull out when you don't like what someone has to say. Doxa knew when he wrote his Keithettes post that he'd get a flood of response....he's a big boy, I think he can take it.

I guess for those self-identifying as 'keithettes'. For me that speaks volumes.

It simply means that he should have expected some push back when he made it personal and he got it and so have you, my friend...so have we all. To expect people not to respond is quite bewildering to me, as if that would be the only way to prove that they aren't in some camp.

Oh, I totally agree with you and also believe Doxa knew what he was getting into.

It's the devil's advocate role in a room full of 'groupthinkers'.

They're coming after you for sure, strap in your seat belt.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 8, 2015 21:40

They've coming after you for sure, strap in your seat belt.

I'm actually itchimg to take the damn thing off, Trec...and that ain't no groupthink.

I've got an appointment now to argue with my teen son about homework, so I think I'm well and truly done here. Love and laughter to you all. Turn the music up LOUD! smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 8, 2015 21:44

I just saw "Under the Influence" on Netflix. I thought it was a nice documentary. Nothing new, nothing particular deep, just a nice overview of where he is coming from and what moves him. I liked the way he interacted with Steve Jordan. And I liked the interviews with Tom Waits, although I am not sure I understood all his metaphors.
My girlfriend asked me how come the Stones are still together, despite all their differences and maybe the documentary answered that a bit. Because here's a guy who just made a very good/great solo album but then still states that "the Stones is his home", his number one band. I think with most really big bands, there always came a point where the most important members wanted to do something on their own.
Whether it's a good thing that Keith keeps so loyal to the Stones is something else. As I said before, I personally would prefer both Mick and Keith to do their solo stuff and only go back to playing together again when they really feel the need to investigate music together again. Meanwhile, they can keep on touring of course, which is always fun. But maybe I am wrong, and they really both are eager to work together and discover something new together.
Meanwhile, I still haven´t gotten tired of Crosseyed Heart, I am happy to say. The only other thing I listened to last week was Tattoo You (because of the Tops thread in IORR).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2015 22:00

Hey latebloomer, you're messing with my quotes girl! I'm sure it wasn't intentional but have some mercy.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 8, 2015 22:31

latebloomer
Stoneburst
Naturalust
I think what I'm noticing here is that as soon as someone like Doxa or whomever posts a somewhat critical post about CH, the same posters immediately follow up with some new element of one of the songs that makes the record so great and Keith such a genius, if not a more direct rebuttal. LOl It's pretty obvious who here is enamored with this record but pretty transparent that they also feel the need to defend it to all comers too. Sometimes the defense is just disguised in clever ways. Perhaps we should just have a limit that you can't post more that twice the number of songs on the record in this thread. I think most people should be able to get their points across in 30 posts. Ha!

Certainly he can, and sure he knew what he was getting into, all of which is beside the point. Doxa's Keithettes post was pretty lighthearted stuff. It didn't come close to the endless insulting, totalising diatribes directed against 'Taylorites' on this board for years, the sort of thing that Doxa was obviously referencing (at least to some extent). And lo and behold, people are getting incredibly angry about it. Methinks he got a little too close to the truth for comfort.

I like Crosseyed Heart, more or less. I think it has the same mix of inspired writing and playing and mediocre filler that most Stones albums of the past few decades have had. In short, it's what I expected it to be, and that's one reason why I haven't posted very much about it either here or on EOMS. The other reason is that this sort of crap is truly tiresome.

As so often, Treacle is right. The problem here and elsewhere is that Keith loyalists respond with zealous outrage to the merest perceived slight on Richards' music, playing or public persona.

One example of many: before Zip Code, Keith claimed that Mick Taylor wasn't touring with them because he was sick. It was and is absolutely bloody obvious to anyone with two braincells to rub together that he was lying about that. Charlie Watts openly said that there was a band meeting where they discussed the pros and cons of bringing MT, then decided against it. Keith's behaviour was absolutely appalling - there were people here and on the other boards that concluded MT had cancer and were looking for ways to send him get well cards! And yet anyone who dared suggest that Keith hadn't been completely honest in that interview was pounced upon and accused of making stuff up. It's a double standard, it infects every discussion around here and it's pathetic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 22:33 by Stoneburst.

Date: November 8, 2015 22:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 8, 2015 23:08

LOL I don't think anyone called you out specifically or tossed out insults here Dandie, feeling a bit guilty perhaps? I think you may have crossed the line calling people cowards, not sure what you expect to achieve with that kind of talk but post what you want. I agree the music is the best thing to talk about and the real reason we are all here, but discussion of how we talk about it certainly isn't automatically bad form, imo, who cares really? Why so angry about an interesting discussion?

Post and let post! live and let live!

As far as Crosseyed Heart goes. It grew on me to a point but I've put it to rest after seemingly hitting a high point with it. Its a very well made record and I don't want to get burnt out out it actually. I started getting that feeling the last couple of listens and realized it was just a case of over exposure. It hasn't motivated me to learn any of the tunes, which is the mark of stuff that really hits me hard.

What I love best was described by Hairball in that it seemed to bypass Keith's own expectations of what he should be doing, or something, and just contained heartfelt songs, an eclectic mix without a set theme. It just sounds good. Especially the guitars and other melody and rhythm instruments.

What I like least about it is that it's not really rock and roll enough, it's overall a really tame mix of songs, ballad heavy, not quite pretty or mellow enough for first thing in the morning listen and not quite rockin' enough for an evening out with the boys. It's afternoon music ...or something. For me Keiths voice is the part that tends to overload me after a while, it works fine, but only in small doses. It's also, somewhat ironically, the thing that has grown on me about the record smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2015 23:51

Nice post above Naturalust regarding Crosseyed Heart - critiquing the music and how you respond to it, rather than critiquing people for how they feel about it. thumbs up

But in any case, I think we can all agree that we would all fiercely defend Keith, Mick and The Stones if any true outsiders came around and tried to knock them around too harshly. smoking smiley

Once again nice post, and for the most part this is true for a majority here.
But I'd add that if anyone f*ucks with Lennon or the Beatles, they're barking up the wrong tree and need to watch their backs. angry smiley (just kdding)

Date: November 8, 2015 23:56

Some lullabies for the diehard Keith fans amongst us, and Keith trying to be Keith. I think he ran out of ideas. Not my cup of tea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-09 00:37 by DancelittleSister.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 01:48

Naturalust
LOL I don't think anyone called you out specifically or tossed out insults here Dandie, feeling a bit guilty perhaps? I think you may have crossed the line calling people cowards, not sure what you expect to achieve with that kind of talk but post what you want. I agree the music is the best thing to talk about and the real reason we are all here, but discussion of how we talk about it certainly isn't automatically bad form, imo, who cares really? Why so angry about an interesting discussion?

Post and let post! live and let live!

As far as Crosseyed Heart goes. It grew on me to a point but I've put it to rest after seemingly hitting a high point with it. Its a very well made record and I don't want to get burnt out out it actually. I started getting that feeling the last couple of listens and realized it was just a case of over exposure. It hasn't motivated me to learn any of the tunes, which is the mark of stuff that really hits me hard.

What I love best was described by Hairball in that it seemed to bypass Keith's own expectations of what he should be doing, or something, and just contained heartfelt songs, an eclectic mix without a set theme. It just sounds good. Especially the guitars and other melody and rhythm instruments.

What I like least about it is that it's not really rock and roll enough, it's overall a really tame mix of songs, ballad heavy, not quite pretty or mellow enough for first thing in the morning listen and not quite rockin' enough for an evening out with the boys. It's afternoon music ...or something. For me Keiths voice is the part that tends to overload me after a while, it works fine, but only in small doses. It's also, somewhat ironically, the thing that has grown on me about the record smoking smiley

yes, someone did call him out specifically.

Date: November 9, 2015 02:55

Turner68

Must have been one of those cowards who didn't stick to constructive criticism. Oh wait isn't the purpose constructive criticism to improve the outcome of something...I'm afraid we're a bit to late with Keith's record, I guess all our criticism will have to be something else. Maybe we can use it to improve the outcome of the next Stones record! I've got an idea, only let Keith sing lead on two of the tracks max but give him huge latitude with all the production and all the music. smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 9, 2015 07:34

Naturalust

I've got an idea, only let Keith sing lead on two of the tracks max but give him huge latitude with all the production and all the music. smoking smiley

Better yet, don't have any Keith lead vocals. smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 07:51

Naturalust
Turner68

Must have been one of those cowards who didn't stick to constructive criticism. Oh wait isn't the purpose constructive criticism to improve the outcome of something...I'm afraid we're a bit to late with Keith's record, I guess all our criticism will have to be something else. Maybe we can use it to improve the outcome of the next Stones record! I've got an idea, only let Keith sing lead on two of the tracks max but give him huge latitude with all the production and all the music. smoking smiley

That's a formula for a good album!

Date: November 9, 2015 12:21

DandelionPowderman
Where is the constructive criticism from the people who don't like the album of THE MUSIC on CH in this thread?

People who are criticising me for discussing songs from that album in this thread make me laugh. Isn't that why we're here in the first place? smiling smiley

No agendas, no campaigning, no groupthink - just discussing the album. Wouldn't that be nice?

Too bad some posters think that is boring, or something. Instead, they like to watch people fight, and toss out insults. Cowards you are!

Nobody has stopped anyone from discussing the music here. On the contrary, that's what we do.

Before you post your thoughts on the album, and don't stop criticising other posters's experiences with it, this is borderline trolling, imo.

And I don't think the album's relevance is enough. Let's talk about the music, please!

thumbs up

Date: November 9, 2015 13:43

Turner68

Indeed, but not for 'discussing songs from the album', as he claimed.

Date: November 9, 2015 14:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 9, 2015 14:17

Better yet Stoneburst why don't you go back and read this thread. It's all there in black and white!! cool smiley

Date: November 9, 2015 14:40

I have read it. Not all 231 pages (having, alas, neither the time or energy for that) but the last ten or so, and I don't see what all the fuss is about. What did Doxa say that was so wrong? He did comment on the music, then made a pretty lighthearted and uncontroversial comment about a small number of Keith partisans. The OTT reaction to what he said just proves his point.

Date: November 9, 2015 14:59

Stoneburst
I have read it. Not all 231 pages (having, alas, neither the time or energy for that) but the last ten or so, and I don't see what all the fuss is about. What did Doxa say that was so wrong? He did comment on the music, then made a pretty lighthearted and uncontroversial comment about a small number of Keith partisans. The OTT reaction to what he said just proves his point.

Nobody said anything wrong. But apparantly some people claim that in this thread there is some kind of "group-thinking" going on, full of "keithettes" whatever that means, who enjoy blaming Mick for everything, love Keith for everything, and don't tolerate anyone who thinks differently.
And I really think it's ridiculous to say this. I don't see this happening at all. Some people (including me), have made comparisons between Crosseyed Heart and EOMS (mostly recognizing fully the obvious differences between them too, but, as pointed out by DandelionPowderman on page XXX (look for it), there might some similarities. And obviously you can fully disagree with all that). Some people (including me) have stated that Mick Jagger occasionally has a way of singing which we don't like. Again, you can agree or disagree. It doesn't mean "Mick" bashing. I like Keith's solo albums much better than Mick's. I also like them better than all post-Undercover Stones albums, by the way. So what? Does that make me guilty of "group thinking"? Or of "Stones-bashing"?
In another thread I have stated sometimes that I don't think Taylor would help in making the next Stones albums any better. Does that make me anti-Taylorite? A certain person in that thread stated that "you need to have artistic ears" (or something like that) to appreciate Taylor. Whatever. It doesn't upset me to be honest. I'm not a Taylorite, nor anti-Taylorite, not Woodette, nor Keitino, nor Mickectron. I just like the Stones, I think they're the greatest rock n roll band in the world, but I don't think everything they do is great. And I am interested in what other people think about it. I don't even care if someone calls me "<fill in name here>"-ette, but it's strange to see that now apparantly we are discussing whether this is justified or not.
Really, when I saw the last 4 pages of this thread yesterday night I planned not to comment on it, because I find it really too ridiculous to mention. What is this? Kindergarten? Now I promise this will be the last thing I say about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-09 14:59 by matxil.

Date: November 9, 2015 15:05

I'm done in this thread, and won't be contributing to it anymore.

My last words aren't actually mine, but Hairball's. All I will add is «Mission Accomplished» - keep up the quality.

«Maybe the benefit of doubt should be given to the to those who really appreciate this album. It seems you 'intervening' in this thread has turned into a sour note. Rather than offering more constructive criticism (or a "diversive" voice) ) of the album itself, you are somewhat belittling most everyone who likes and discusses it by labeling them "keithettes" who are "group thinking" involved in a "lovefest".

Maybe it's spurred on in your quest to defend Mick Jagger, but since when is any member of the Stones NOT the target of criticism. And why is it necessary to have a mocking/belittling/derogatory tone to those who sincerely like it? It's not some deep psychological experiment going in here - it boils down to some Rolling Stones fans happy with something that resonates with them.

The discussion can take many turns, not all of which everyone will agree with, but certainly shouldn't take personal or feel the need to intervene».

Date: November 9, 2015 16:10

Keith trying to be Keith..on second thoughts, the album sounds great. Or is it the hardware that’s fooling me?

Date: November 9, 2015 17:09

Sounds as though this thread is finally going to go in the direction of discussing the music and that can only be good.

Allowing people the freedom to like or dislike without trying to 'shut them down' may have made the last few pages of vitriol actually 'worth it'.

Date: November 9, 2015 17:12

Actually love Keith's vocal on Robbed Blind...although I hate the song. How is that possible?

The melody is running through my head and I find it very annoying...I think I need to listen to that new Cult song a few times to de-programme!

Date: November 9, 2015 17:50

DandelionPowderman
I'm done in this thread, and won't be contributing to it anymore.

My last words aren't actually mine, but Hairball's. All I will add is «Mission Accomplished» - keep up the quality.

«Maybe the benefit of doubt should be given to the to those who really appreciate this album. It seems you 'intervening' in this thread has turned into a sour note. Rather than offering more constructive criticism (or a "diversive" voice) ) of the album itself, you are somewhat belittling most everyone who likes and discusses it by labeling them "keithettes" who are "group thinking" involved in a "lovefest".

Maybe it's spurred on in your quest to defend Mick Jagger, but since when is any member of the Stones NOT the target of criticism. And why is it necessary to have a mocking/belittling/derogatory tone to those who sincerely like it? It's not some deep psychological experiment going in here - it boils down to some Rolling Stones fans happy with something that resonates with them.

The discussion can take many turns, not all of which everyone will agree with, but certainly shouldn't take personal or feel the need to intervene».

Cheers Dandelion, I wrote that? winking smiley
Must have been about 100 pages ago, but I stand by every word.

With all the water under the bridge now (hopefully) you really shouldn't bow out of this thread.
Your contributions have been some of the best, and have made me re-listen and think twice several times
throughout this entire experience since Sept 18 - a triumphant day that will go down in history!

I'm still fascinated by the album itself, as well as some of the facts that have arisen since it's release.
Such as the fact that the 1963 Harmony 12 string acoustic guitar Keith used on Goodnight Irene is the same one
he used to record Play With Fire,Good Times Bad Times, Not Fade Away, and Tell Me!
That is so damn cool!!!thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2015 16:37

I've had this one line going through my head this morning, with the way he says interfeeeaaaarrrr being the hook...

The cops, I can't invlolve them, they'd only interfere

Date: November 10, 2015 17:04

GasLightStreet
I've had this one line going through my head this morning, with the way he says interfeeeaaaarrrr being the hook...

The cops, I can't invlolve them, they'd only interfere

Since I am not a native English speaker, it's hard for me to judge, but there are a number of lines here and there where his pronounciation is different to what I am used to. Does that mean he has a very British accent when he sings? Or mid-atlantic?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2015 17:14

Keith often uses a very American R when he sings - when an R doesn't precede a vowel sound
(like both Rs in that interfere) a British speaker would normally have a "silent" R ("intafea", sort of)
while Keith enjoys to pronounce them firmly, the American way. He's been doing that for decades.
Sometimes it sounds a bit odd, because it's not natural to him ... but I forgive him :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 17:15 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 10, 2015 17:23

"Cropping up in dreams" from Suspicious seems a very British line to me. Great song, I would think it would be a hit single in the UK.

Date: November 10, 2015 18:17

"And now that we all cried, well I hope you're satisfied..." seems a universal line to me - heavy emotional stuff coming from someone as 'badass' as Keith (not that he's never done something like this though).
He sounds slightly angry while at the same time his voice is somewhat 'cracking'...could be that his natural singing voice fits so well, but there's some emphasis that brings it on heavy.
And the female backup singer echoing with a whisper the 'break up' and 'shake up' lines let's her presence be known throughout ...good lord it's a great song.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...226227228229230231232233234235236...LastNext
Current Page: 231 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home