Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...227228229230231232233234235236237...LastNext
Current Page: 232 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 19:12

with sssoul
Keith often uses a very American R when he sings - when an R doesn't precede a vowel sound
(like both Rs in that interfere) a British speaker would normally have a "silent" R ("intafea", sort of)
while Keith enjoys to pronounce them firmly, the American way. He's been doing that for decades.
Sometimes it sounds a bit odd, because it's not natural to him ... but I forgive him :E

No one is as good as Mick when it comes to mimicking an accent, but to these American ears Keith's accent when singing does not sound particularly odd, it sounds "country" often, I think that is what he is going for in the song in question. In "Lover's Plea", as a contrary example, he doesn't sound this way. Not too different from Mick sounding "country" on Sweet Virginia or Far Away Eyes, although Mick's 'country' accent comes off as a little exaggerated (one reason people hear Far Away Eyes as almost mocking). Keith's voice, to my ears, is best suited for country songs - the vocals on "Dead Flowers" are very authentic IMO. I think he realizes this and it's one reason he did those country covers like "We Had it All".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 19:13 by Turner68.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 10, 2015 19:17

I think Mick's country accent on Faraway Eyes was intentionally exaggerated in a stereotypical country way.
Not necessarily 'mocking' in a derogatory way, but making a bit fun of those backwards rednecks. smiling smiley
(no offense to country people)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2015 19:40

Turner68
with sssoul
Keith often uses a very American R when he sings - when an R doesn't precede a vowel sound
(like both Rs in that interfere) a British speaker would normally have a "silent" R ("intafea", sort of)
while Keith enjoys to pronounce them firmly, the American way. He's been doing that for decades.
Sometimes it sounds a bit odd, because it's not natural to him ... but I forgive him :E

No one is as good as Mick when it comes to mimicking an accent, but to these American ears Keith's accent when singing does not sound particularly odd

His accent doesn't sound odd to me either - I just mean the way he enunciates certain Rs.
(And I wasn't talking about CrossEyed Heart in particular - that "interfere" was just a handy example.)

Yes the timbre of Keith's voice is wonderful for country songs, and I agree that he no doubt realizes it.
Mick has said the same thing, so that makes [calculating quickly] four of us :E

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 13, 2015 18:44

Ask Keith: What was the inspiration for 'Trouble'?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 13, 2015 18:54

LOL see, that's what happens when Keith doesn't make up tall tales... the truth is usually not that exciting ;-)

thank you for posting.

i still like the track.

Date: November 13, 2015 19:36

Here's the Everly Brothers' Poor Jenny: [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 13, 2015 19:46

Ahhh that's cool!
Hope we get more video clip insights into the inspiration for other songs - not just Crosseyed Heart tunes, but other solo tunes as well as Stones tunes.thumbs up

Listening to Poor Jenny now - thanks with sssoul, never heard it before!
It's rockin'! grinning smiley

Date: November 13, 2015 20:20

I don't know what you were imagining, Turner dear, but that Ask Keith clip was great!
I'd love to hear more just like that.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 13, 2015 21:49

Listening to Heartstopper.

Just a thought: those drum breaks really sound like something Charlie would do.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 13, 2015 21:55

And Amnesia is a Modern Times era Dylan Song minus complicated lyrics. Nice groove, but why choose to end the song so rudely?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 13, 2015 22:37

Finally heard the CD last night, on loan from the local library. For this we have 232 pages? It sounds just like those Expensive Winos CDs from the late 80s, early 90s. No real stand out cut. (I like Bill Wyman's 'What & How & If & Where & Why single better). Keith can still play an impressive acoustic, and his bass playing is better than Darryl.

Date: November 14, 2015 01:08

mr edward
And Amnesia is a Modern Times era Dylan Song minus complicated lyrics. Nice groove,
but why choose to end the song so rudely?

Maybe for the same reason the world sometimes chooses
to bang you on the head so rudely that everything goes blank

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 14, 2015 01:18

Keith seems to have some kind of bent about cell phones on this record ha ha. In two songs he comments on them!

Date: November 14, 2015 01:24

He said he had one in one of the interviews. Bye bye fax...

Date: November 14, 2015 01:47

It took me about five years after the fact when cell phones became a "requirement" to have - finally got one in '99.
Needless to say, alot of positives came with it, but also the negatives (always expected to answer, being tracked down, etc.)
Still have an old school flip phone though. smiling smiley

Same with when cd's came out - finally bought a boom box/cd player probably 10 years after they were common only because
a particular new album I wanted only came out in that format about '95-ish. And again, definitely some positives, but also all the negatives.

Still no mp3 and/or no downloading (that's what friends are for) - just crates upon crates of vinyl, boxes upon boxes of cassettes, and stacks upon stack of cd's.

"What's that thing attached to your ear
I'm talking to you but you don't seem to hear"

thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 14, 2015 10:51

24FPS
Finally heard the CD last night, on loan from the local library. For this we have 232 pages? It sounds just like those Expensive Winos CDs from the late 80s, early 90s. No real stand out cut. (I like Bill Wyman's 'What & How & If & Where & Why single better). Keith can still play an impressive acoustic, and his bass playing is better than Darryl.

That's what the 232 pages are for. It reflects how the albums grows on a lot of people. I agree that there's no real standout cut, it's one of those albums (the Stones have made a few, I won't say names) which doesn't appeal so much for its hits but rather for an overall atmoshpere, where each song begs for the next one, and it's full of moments, little frases or lines or licks here and there that stick out and suddenly you wake up one morning, or you're having a shower or you sit down in a bus, and you realise one of those moments popped up in your head.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 14, 2015 15:00

24FPS

You say you finally heard the LP last night and then you say 232 pages for this?

Go smoke something and come back in a month after listening to it more than once.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 14, 2015 15:06

matxil
24FPS

That's what the 232 pages are for. It reflects how the albums grows on a lot of people. I agree that there's no real standout cut, it's one of those albums (the Stones have made a few, I won't say names) which doesn't appeal so much for its hits but rather for an overall atmoshpere, where each song begs for the next one, and it's full of moments, little frases or lines or licks here and there that stick out and suddenly you wake up one morning, or you're having a shower or you sit down in a bus, and you realise one of those moments popped up in your head.

Well said! ... although i disagree on the "no real standout cut" , there are many for me. Robbed Blind, CrossEyed Heart, Amnesia, Love Overdue, Goodnight Irene, Something For Nothing, as a start. Trouble too, I've come to love, the guitars are fantastic! And moreover, every track is minimally very good. It's zoomed by Wandering Spirit as my favorite solo release.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 14, 2015 15:21

Cristiano Radtke
Ask Keith: What was the inspiration for 'Trouble'?

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks much Cristiano, inteesting little Trouble tid bits and Keith looks great!

Per the 232 pages comment - to be fair, the first almost 100 pages are from before the album came out. Yap Yap...cool smiley

Date: November 18, 2015 17:12

Ask Keith: How was Substantial Damage recorded?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 18, 2015 17:22

Cristiano Radtke
Ask Keith: How was Substantial Damage recorded?

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Cristiano.

"Not originally intended for the record..."

But glad it made it - a nice sonic 'detour' amidst the overall vibe. thumbs up

Date: November 18, 2015 21:15

Love Overdue video:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 18, 2015 21:19

not available in US :-(

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 18, 2015 23:02

I'm in the US and got it. very cool!!!

Date: November 19, 2015 00:15

I'm in the US and get it as well -and yes very cool!!!

Date: November 19, 2015 00:42

i got it now. thanks for posting christiano. this is awesome.

Date: November 19, 2015 01:10

While the animation might give it a lighthearted feel upon first glance, beneath it all is a wave of foreboding darkness.
Sneaky Keith - luring you into a fun adventure, and then smacking you hard in the head.

smiling smiley

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: November 19, 2015 02:37

really loved the video - definitely improved the song....made the song better to me

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 19, 2015 02:40

Cool video 'Love Overdue'
the animation reminded me of the movie 'Despicable Me'
Still grooving to Crosseyed Heart thank you
Mr. Keith Richards,
the King of Rock,
per the record company.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2015 02:43

Thanks for posting Cristiano, no problems viewing from my US location either, try again Turner.

As far as the video...meh, didn't do much for me but to each their own. I would have preferred Keith in the studio or even better a montage of Keith home videos!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...227228229230231232233234235236237...LastNext
Current Page: 232 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home