Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 20, 2015 09:36

Naturalust
keefriffhards
How does Keith's voice keep improving in the last 20 years.
Its got this rich, deep velvet, growl to it.
Just seems unusual to me for a voice to improve so much, in ones latter years.

A thick coating of tobacco tar on the vocal chords, probably 2 dozen takes in the studio to get it right with a composite of the best of each take used, a microphone selected to fit his voice perfectly, liberal EQ, compression, reverb and delay, and perhaps even some other studio tricks which are secrets never to be revealed. winking smiley

I heard him sing this tour and didn't hear the quality he's getting on this record...he's set the mark pretty high if he plans to tour behind these songs. I suspect we will get something a bit less perfect when he performs them live but will be blown away if he all of a sudden is able to sing so much better and play his guitar at the same time. I'm wondering if he'll have an extra guitar player in addition to Waddy to pull it off?

2 dozen takes in the studio ??
This does not sound like Keith to me. Its his voice right
If you listen to Keith Live singing The Worst or Slipping Away or Locked Away or Love Hurts you will see that he sounds better live in many instances

Date: August 20, 2015 09:41

Keith simply has become a better singer technically in recent years. His voice has also finally reach his mature peak, imo. The result, ironically, is that his range has widened. He still gets up there, but he can do some mean bass notes as well.

Listen to Robbed Blind («...even Buddy Holly...» and the chorus) smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2015 10:54

Here's what I hear:

Amnesia

No, I'm not gonna do nothin'
I ain't gonna do shhh
I ain't gonna do nothin'
I'm gonna sit in there
And I'm waiting
Until the sh1t kicks in

You understand me?
You got it? You got it? You got it?

Whoa!
Nowhere
Nowhere

Don't know who I am
Forgotten my name
I've got no address
And who the hell's to blame

Knocked on my head
Everything went blank
I didn't even know
The Titanic sank

Nowhere
Nowhere

Checked my passport(s)
It seems I've been around
But I can't remember China
Like baggage lost and found

Thought I met mother - ha!
She said you don't belong to me
Behind you must be trouble
Broken hearts and misery

Nowhere
I'm talking nowhere

Remember

I try and jog my memory
It's a futile exercise
When you're a man from nowhere (nowhere)
Ha - you don't get a prize

How can I regret – ha
It's so easy to forget
You know everything I do
I know nothing about you

No fvkkin way

Well I can't recall the past
Nowhere
You know what I mean?
Nowhere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 13:20 by with sssoul.

Date: August 20, 2015 11:01

<Checked my passports>

If that is correct, it's hilarious indeed grinning smiley

Date: August 20, 2015 11:39

Well, I still have a few of my old passports ... but hmm, they all have my name in them, don't they :E

When he picks up his passport(s) in Losing My Touch it sounds plural as well,
even though Keith doesn't have dual citizenship as far as anyone knows,
and obviously you wouldn't need to carry old passports around with you.
So either it's an idiosyncratic pronunciation (Keith has a couple of those),
or the character in the song has multiple identities and/or citizenships.

Date: August 20, 2015 11:44

<So either it's an idiosyncratic pronunciation (Keith has a couple of those)>

I leaning toward this one smiling smiley

Anyways, Amnesia rocks! hot smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 20, 2015 13:41

with sssoul
When he picks up his passport(s) in Losing My Touch it sounds plural as well

I guess his new teeth are to blame.smoking smiley

Date: August 20, 2015 13:49

HMS
I guess his new teeth are to blame.smoking smiley

Nah. The idiosyncrasies have lasted through a few dental renovations.
I believe some of them are intentional, to make sure we notice him :E
(The idiosyncrasies, I mean, not the teeth ... although those do the trick too)

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 20, 2015 13:53

Oh yes, with that kind of teeth you take notice of him even in the darksmiling smiley

Posted by: MC Weissbier ()
Date: August 20, 2015 14:55

Please send the link to.

Thanx a lot.

Love AMNESIA!! Great tune!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 17:18 by MC Weissbier.

Date: August 20, 2015 14:59

Finally, I tracked down a great vinyl copy of Main Offender! It will arrive round the same time as Cross Eyed Heart - woo hoo! hot smiley

Posted by: MC Weissbier ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:25

MC Weissbier
Please send the link to.

Thanx a lot.

Love AMNESIA!! Great tune!

Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 17:18 by MC Weissbier.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:55

DandelionPowderman
Finally, I tracked down a great vinyl copy of Main Offender! It will arrive round the same time as Cross Eyed Heart - woo hoo! hot smiley

I wonder how much you got it for. I was looking the other day (when I pre-ordered CEH) because I realized I had neither Main Offender nor Live at the Hollywood Palladium and I almost fainted. Especially since I got my copy of Talk Is Cheap around 1995 for around 4 euros.

Edit: I forgot - Congratulations for finding it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 15:56 by gwen.

Date: August 20, 2015 15:59

gwen
DandelionPowderman

I wonder how much you got it for. I was looking the other day (when I pre-ordered CEH) because I realized I had neither Main Offender nor Live at the Hollywood Palladium and I almost fainted. Especially since I got my copy of Talk Is Cheap around 1995 for around 4 euros.

Edit: I forgot - Congratulations for finding it!

I fainted, too, but eventually I closed my eyes and hit the «buy» button...

It was way cheaper than my vinyl copy of the Kinks's Phobia, though..

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 20, 2015 16:22

Would most of us consider "Nothing on Me" and "Something For Nothing" rockers? Instead of listening to the complete album I'm selecting a song a day and today it's Something For Nothing. Another great track, very catchy with nice Waddy fills I would assume it's Waddy. I consider it a rocker

Date: August 20, 2015 16:24

Maindefender
Would most of us consider "Nothing on Me" and "Something For Nothing" rockers? Instead of listening to the complete album I'm selecting a song a day and today it's Something For Nothing. Another great track, very catchy with nice Waddy fills I would assume it's Waddy. I consider it a rocker

Pop rockers, I'd say. The latter has a gospel feel to it. Both awesome tracks, imo.

Date: August 20, 2015 16:27

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

Pop rockers, I'd say. The latter has a gospel feel to it. Both awesome tracks, imo.

Yeah I got to sink into Nothing On Me over the weekend!!

Date: August 20, 2015 16:29

So what song will Keith release on the 24th?? Maybe one of the ballads but not Lover's Plea it's too great, has to be saved.

Date: August 20, 2015 16:37

Maindefender
So what song will Keith release on the 24th?? Maybe one of the ballads but not Lover's Plea it's too great, has to be saved.

Suspicious, perhaps?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 20, 2015 16:51

I really dont wanna buy from Best Buy for the Bonus track. anyone know how to obtain the bonustrack in another way.
Jeroen

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 20, 2015 17:44

DandelionPowderman
Keith simply has become a better singer technically in recent years. His voice has also finally reach his mature peak, imo. The result, ironically, is that his range has widened. He still gets up there, but he can do some mean bass notes as well.

His voice has reached his mature peak in his 70's? Not sure what the case is with Keith but it's clear his singing is very good on this record. I'm trying to balance that with the many performances I heard this summer where he still has trouble hitting the high notes in Happy for instance and often resorted to lower melodies as he has done for years. My honest conclusion is just that, like Mick, he sings better in the studio where multiple takes, studio techniques and dedicated singing (no guitar playing) allow him to get it right. That what studios do for singers and Keith has used it well.

I am not criticizing Keith, actually praising his singing on this record, just pointing out that no one picked up on this widened vocal range and mature peak this summer. It will be interesting to see how he pulls off these vocals live, standing up with a guitar in his hand.

Date: August 20, 2015 18:07

corriecas
I really dont wanna buy from Best Buy for the Bonus track. anyone know how to obtain the bonustrack in another way.
Jeroen

Not sure(yet), but I did just pre-order from Best Buy. Plus I did a bundle deal off Keith's site with hopefully an autographed copy. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 20, 2015 18:11

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

His voice has reached his mature peak in his 70's? Not sure what the case is with Keith but it's clear his singing is very good on this record. I'm trying to balance that with the many performances I heard this summer where he still has trouble hitting the high notes in Happy for instance and often resorted to lower melodies as he has done for years. My honest conclusion is just that, like Mick, he sings better in the studio where multiple takes, studio techniques and dedicated singing (no guitar playing) allow him to get it right. That what studios do for singers and Keith has used it well.

I am not criticizing Keith, actually praising his singing on this record, just pointing out that no one picked up on this widened vocal range and mature peak this summer. It will be interesting to see how he pulls off these vocals live, standing up with a guitar in his hand.

At Buffalo I was blown away by Keith's singing. His clarity and annunciation were A+ and I did mention that with my review after the show. Best BTMMR ever IMO. This tour will be great!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:14

Thanks sssoul for post lyrics Amnesia. It's changed my mind on what I thought it was about- personally, sounds like a nice opiate trip, y'know, forget your cares after it kicks in. Freakin' love 'I ain't gonna do nothin'
I ain't gonna do shhh'. (Leave me alone!)

Haven't had time to give these tracks proper due, no more input from me. I am naive on the avenues to obtain all/full songs before official release date, except for the clever and cool unlock/ release from London, but will try and wait until 18th so I have it all together/accessible to me/ can concentrate.

Date: August 20, 2015 18:21

Naturalust
I am not criticizing Keith, actually praising his singing on this record, just pointing out
that no one picked up on this widened vocal range and mature peak this summer. It will be interesting to see
how he pulls off these vocals live, standing up with a guitar in his hand.

Naturally a lot of things are easier in the studio, but even though no one called it a "mature peak",
pretty much everyone remarked on how strong his singing was this summer. Mick's too.

Date: August 20, 2015 18:33

Maindefender
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

At Buffalo I was blown away by Keith's singing. His clarity and annunciation were A+ and I did mention that with my review after the show. Best BTMMR ever IMO. This tour will be great!!

Here's some pretty good clip of Keith's Happy and BTMMR in Buffalo. They definitely has their moments.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 20, 2015 18:37

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

This summer he only sang BTMMR and Happy. I thought he did a good job on BTMMR but his voice is not quite so suited to these rockers any more, and that's all he sang this summer.
So its hard for you to make the point you are trying to make about his voice overall, on the strength of these 2 songs. Keith will just have to prove you wrong again Naturalust.
Do you get tired of him proving you wrong.
He will manage to sing and play at the same time just fine during these concerts if they materialise.
Keith and Waddy will manage very well together without the extra guitarist you insist he needs to pull it off as you say.
I don't think Keith had a better vocal range in the 70's. He may of had a clearer tone but it was limited.
What he has now is a sort of character and charm in the expression of his voice that goes beyond the limitations of his voice.
As i have said before you can throw away the rule book with Keith, he defies logic.
When Talk is Cheap came out i remember lots of people saying Keith cant sing, i don't think people will say that about him today. That's the truth of the matter. Period.
HE SINGS BETTER. No room for a debate about it..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:50

Could be he now uses auto-tune and other studio trickery. cool smiley

Date: August 20, 2015 18:53

keefriffhards
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

This summer he only sang BTMMR and Happy. I thought he did a good job on BTMMR but his voice is not quite so suited to these rockers any more, and that's all he sang this summer.
So its hard for you to make the point you are trying to make about his voice overall, on the strength of these 2 songs. Keith will just have to prove you wrong again Naturalust.
He will manage to sing and play at the same time just fine during these concerts if they materialise.
Keith and Waddy will manage very well together without the extra guitarist you insist he needs to pull it off as you say.
I don't think Keith had a better vocal range in the 70's. He may of had a clearer tone but it was limited.
What he has now is a sort of character and charm in the expression of his voice that goes beyond the limitations of his voice.
As i have said before you can throw away the rule book with Keith, he defies logic.
When Talk is Cheap came out i remember lots of people saying Keith cant sing, i don't think people will say that about him today. That's the truth of the matter. Period.

Don't think he will prove me wrong riffhards mainly because I didn't make any assertions other than he probably sings better in the studio. He'd likely be the first to admit it, that's what studios do my friend, make singers sound better. No need to get so defensive here. Better to set your expectations a bit lower and be pleasantly surprised than expect the best and be disappointed.

I too am looking forward to the shows. My point about the guitars is that there are a lot of multiple guitar parts and some cases where the songs will have to be simplified or an additional guitarist added. But since you bring it up, anybody who has watched Keith over the years knows he prefers to concentrate on his singing at times and quits playing guitar when he does. I doubt that's going to change, it's just the way he performs for many years now. I'm not expecting him to suddenly change that.

Date: August 20, 2015 19:42

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Don't think he will prove me wrong riffhards mainly because I didn't make any assertions other than he probably sings better in the studio. He'd likely be the first to admit it, that's what studios do my friend, make singers sound better. No need to get so defensive here. Better to set your expectations a bit lower and be pleasantly surprised than expect the best and be disappointed.

I too am looking forward to the shows. My point about the guitars is that there are a lot of multiple guitar parts and some cases where the songs will have to be simplified or an additional guitarist added. But since you bring it up, anybody who has watched Keith over the years knows he prefers to concentrate on his singing at times and quits playing guitar when he does. I doubt that's going to change, it's just the way he performs for many years now. I'm not expecting him to suddenly change that.

Well if that's the way he has always played ( not singing and playing at the same time very much ) what are you worried about. What will be different this time. Lets face it Keith was much better this summer than he was in 07' so its encouraging.
I just don't see the point in your doubts.
Even if he plays a bum note or forgets the words now and then, it will still be great to see him.
Even if his voice is braking a bit, as it was in Boston 93' it will still be a great experience to watch him sing his own songs.
I get defensive with the negativity when its uncalled for.
Most people are really buzzing with excitement, and i think you are too Naturalust and it will be interesting to see how he pulls it off.
We will just have to wait and see, sorry i get too defensive, just ignore me lol
Your good thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home