Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7879808182838485868788...LastNext
Current Page: 83 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: O2 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:02

I'd like to get it
Thank You

mikelgaznia@hispavista.com

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:09

after hearing the snippets I can no longer resist smiling smiley
please help me out!
thx

keilhammer@me.com

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:13

KRiffhard
Lorenz
My first impression and comments may have been very emotional - but this album is really excellent and in my personal opinion superior to Keith's previous efforts. I always felt that many of his solo songs were too skeletal, ideas that often didn't evolve past a nice riff and lacked Mick's input to develop into a full song.

On this album, Keith somehow takes a different approach - the songs are more developed, more unique (meaning not all open-g variations of similar riffs) - and yet cousins to existing songs (Baby Break It Down for example). I mentioned it above and others did too, there is something Leonard Cohen-ish about the way he sings, Kent mentioned Johnny Cash - the way he uses his voice is clearly similar - sometimes more speaking than singing. It fits very well. There is more little melodies in there compared to the rough riffs we are used too.

At first I thought there were no fillers, I now feel like 3-4 songs could've been left out: the simple, sketch like Blues opener, the repetitive funk song that doesn't really go anywhere, the by-the-books blues rocker - indeed, 2 songs from the leaked CD are actually bonus tracks. But the main body of the album is, considering all things, spectacular.

IMO "Substantial Damage" is a corrosive, dirty, hammering, terrific funky song! And it doesn't matter where it goes!

I don't want to spoil your enjoyment. For me it's an outtake/bonus jam track that doesn't stand out. Especially compared to the rest of the album!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:13

BILLPERKS
keefriffhards
BILLPERKS
keefriffhards
I can't help but think how amazing these reviews are considering the man was all but washed up in 2007'
He must have been rusty making this album, but still he comes up with this
Is Keith going to go down in history as the comeback king of all time
I wonder if this is the by product of his sobriety
Just what may have been, if he had gave the booze up 20 years earlier
And also what patience he showed in waiting for a time period to finally release it.
Sorry about keep going on about Keith all the time but he is something else smoking smiley

Its common knowledge, Patti, his wife said he was embracing a life of sobriety. She should know.
Who knows for sure but he has been sober in interviews and chat shows for a long time.
His playing since 2012 suggests he has cleaned up his act too. He hit the booze hard in 07' it was clear to see.
Although he has started drinking the odd tipple again recently by the sound of it.
If he's drinking his usual toxic waste in recent interviews does that make him sober?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 20:22 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:25

What happened then lol
My words are now your words
What i was trying to say is that imho he was sober when he made this album

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:31

Cristiano Radtke
with sssoul
Lorenz
... 2 songs from the leaked CD are actually bonus tracks.

Which two, please?

The person who shared the files attached a text file with the tracklist, on which Substantial Damage and Lover's Plea are listed as being bonus tracks, but I don't know where this info comes from.

Ohh thank you - what a relief! Those are both listed as standard tracks on Keith's site: [store.keithrichards.com]
I'm already scrambling for the Best Buy bonus track, and would be dismayed
to learn that I'm required to scramble for two more.

Date: August 18, 2015 20:35

Lover's Plea as a bonus track would be madness. What a way to round off an excellent album!

Right now, my favourite is Suspicion. Illusion grows on me. Nothing On Me is perfection thumbs up

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:00

Could someone send me the snippets too, please?

007_1962@hotmail.com

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:06

Ohh sorry it's 1962_007@hotmail.com
I'm just too excited!

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:27

Lorenz
At first I thought there were no fillers, I now feel like 3-4 songs could've been left out: the simple, sketch like Blues opener, the repetitive funk song that doesn't really go anywhere, the by-the-books blues rocker - indeed, 2 songs from the leaked CD are actually bonus tracks.

I thought the official tracklisting was pretty clear about all 15 tracks being included on both cd and vinyl. Was there some later update saying they would only be on initial pressings or something?

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:46

KRiffhard
IMO "Substantial Damage" is a corrosive, dirty, hammering, terrific funky song! And it doesn't matter where it goes!

I actually think it's a more effective slice of funk than similar experiments such as "Suck On The Jugular" or "Might As Well Get Juiced".

If "Lover's Plea" is Keith after listening to a lot of Otis Redding, "Substantial Damage" reminds me of his attempt to do a funky, Isaac Hayes-style jam. Both are early album favorites for me.

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:49

Any help would be most appreciated.

ilichtenstein@me.com

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:53

howlingmad
I thought the official tracklisting was pretty clear about all 15 tracks being included on both cd and vinyl.
Was there some later update saying they would only be on initial pressings or something?

No, nothing like that was said.
I think the statement on the boot Lorenz is talking about is simply a misunderstanding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 21:54 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:55

DandelionPowderman
A short review:

Cross Eyed Heart:
A classic Keith-take on Robert Johnson, not very unlike the "Keith Richards plays acoustic guitar-video" that's on YouTube. Only a couple of verse lines and some authentic blues. A nice start - works as a little teaser.

Heartstopper:
This IS really a heartstopper! Pumping guitars and a really nice, melodic chorus. Should perhaps have been the first single off the album.

Amnesia:
Cool intro with a talking Keith, while the guitars are warming up. A rocking tune with some nice surprising breaks (drums and piano). Keith is singing really well.

Robbed Blind:
Wow! This is really nice. At this point, I'm surprised of how many instruments Keith plays, and how personal this record must be for him. That thought hit me when the steel guitar kicked in on this track. Keith plays some lovely piano. This track has some nice, surprising harmonies. Beautiful brazilian acoustic guitar break from Keith. One of my favourites on the album.

Trouble:
We have all heard it. Wouldn't be my choice for a single, compared with many of the other tracks here, but it's certainly a song with a chorus one remembers.

Love Overdue:
This is perfection. Perhaps the best reggae track Keith ever has recorded. Heartfelt, ragged and sweet. VERY nicely arranged.

Nothing On Me:
THIS should have been the single! Like a Bruce Springsteen from the graveyard, Keith is harking out the lyrics. A very simple chorus, but effective and cool. This is classic Keith. It could have been a Stones hit as well, imo. Love this track. Great, great vocals.

Suspicious:
My favourite so far! Some really nice harmonies and chord-patterns. Keith plays very good on this album, and this one is done with affection. I love the way he builds up his guitars, as well as the odd piano touches here and there. Small, beautiful lead parts on guitar. Waddy is good here as well.

Blues In The Morning:
The dirty version of I Could Have Stood You Up. This one rocks. Hard! Perhaps this is the Keith most hope to hear a lot on this album. For me, it's a bit generic. That said, I wouldn't have missed this track for the world! This is downright, dirty rock'n'roll - and Mr. Riffmaster is pushing it hard.

Something For Nothing:
A gospel-like intro and a weird damping guitar slowly leads us to the chorus right away. Very catchy. Single potential, great track. Classic Keith. What strikes me so far is that Cross Eyed Heart might be Keith's finest solo album. I didn't see that coming!

Illusion:
Opens with the ballad version of the Baby, Break It Down-riff smiling smiley
A very nice ballad. Norah Jones sings beautiful here.
«Just between you and me» Heard that line before, though. Beautiful!

Just A Gift:
Another ballad. Are there too many? Not really, imo. They're all on par with his best (Make No Mistake, Hate It When You Leave, Locked Away), and that's quite an accomplishment. Just A Gift is very melodic, and many of these ballads are really worked on arrangement-wise, compared to the tracks on, say, Main Offender. Love Keith's Mayfield-esque fills in the background. Nice strings. Real stuff.

Goodnight Irene:
Well, well, well, one of my favourite Leadbelly-songs. I don't know how he dares having a go at it, but he pulls it off. Lots of interesting things going on in this number. Great vocals. He makes this one his own. Some nice 12 string-playing as well.

Substantial Damage:
This one picks up where It Means A Lot left. Funky, hard-rocking stuff. Naked, stripped down and dirty. Cooler arranging than IMAL, and it swings more. Dangerous stuff! This is the riffmaster at work, and he means business! Nice slide from Waddy, who isn't really as dominant on this album as I thought he would be.

Lover's Plea:
Another Keith-ballad which rounds off an album. To be honest, I would have chosen this one to do it as well smiling smiley Maybe the best ballad on the album. Very nice horns, arranged very nicely indeed. This is reminiscent of Nearness Of You in places. Hypnotic chorus after the horns kick in. Then it stops and starts and shakes you off. Then you're hooked again. Absolutely lovely stuff.

All in all I'd say it's Keith's best album. It was worth the wait. Can't wait to get my vinyl!

Sorry to copy Dandy's review but I'm basically on the same page with him and every song is very well crafted. There are no fillers and it will be hard to get bored with this variety. Plus how much better will this be in hi definition!! Impressions after listening once so far:

*Amnesia: Love it
*Trouble is a good first single choice. If it wasn't the single we would now be questioning why it wasn't
*Something For Nothing: When the drums kicked in a huge smile came across me smileys with beer
*Just a Gift: Love the "That's alright" chorus
*Substantial Damage: It's Keith's Monkey Man riff!!
*Lover's Plea: Keith's "That's How Strong My Love Is" moment. Fantastic

*My wife likes Keith's ballads, she will like all of these
*Can't wait to sink in deeper!!

Date: August 18, 2015 22:02

with sssoul
howlingmad
I thought the official tracklisting was pretty clear about all 15 tracks being included on both cd and vinyl.
Was there some later update saying they would only be on initial pressings or something?

No, nothing like that was said.
I think the statement on the boot Lorenz is talking about is simply a misunderstanding.

Yeah probably - this is the info from the bootleg:

1 Cross Eyed Lover
2 Heartstopper
3 Amnesia
4 Robbed Blind
5 Trouble
6 Love Overdue
7 Nothing On Me
8 Suspicious
9 Blues In The Morning
10 Something for Nothing
11 Illusion
12 Just a Gift
13 Goodnight Irene
14 Substantial Damage (Bonus track)
15 Lover's Plea (Bonus track)’

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 18, 2015 22:24

I just gave it a listen. At first I wouldnt call it Keith's best, but it surely doesnt pale compared to the previous two. A beautiful trilogy.

I just try to imagine how floored I would have been if this had been released prior august, 2012. That year, I was first relieved to see Keith standing on his two feet, all smiles and joking outside Suresnes. Then later, again relieved to hear him play guitar in Bondy.

Also, I'm trying to fit One More Shot in there and I'm not sure where it should go. It sounds a little below those 15 tracks.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 18, 2015 22:28

DandelionPowderman
Lover's Plea as a bonus track would be madness. What a way to round off an excellent album!

Right now, my favourite is Suspicion. Illusion grows on me. Nothing On Me is perfection thumbs up

Nothing on me is perfection...yes it is DP!thumbs up

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: August 18, 2015 22:29

Someone can help me out? All your positive reviews, can't wait until 18/09 now.
Thanks!

edit: Thank you both so much!!!! Off to listen now smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 22:46 by karimamilena.

Date: August 18, 2015 22:31

Keith seems to have a better marketing team in place compared to the Stones.

Anyone could go check out:

No.6
Spielman Rd,
Dartford,
Kent
DA1 5EZ

--> you need to go there, then connect to [www.keithrichards.com] and follow instructions. Will officially unlock a song from the new album.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 18, 2015 22:49

Lorenz

No.6
Spielman Rd,
Dartford,
Kent
DA1 5EZ

--> you need to go there, then connect to [www.keithrichards.com] and follow instructions. Will officially unlock a song from the new album.

That's pretty bizarre. I can just imagine going through all that work and then Trouble is the song it unlocks. lol

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: August 18, 2015 23:04

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 23:17 by Dali.

Date: August 18, 2015 23:10

Naturalust
Lorenz

No.6
Spielman Rd,
Dartford,
Kent
DA1 5EZ

That's pretty bizarre. I can just imagine going through all that work and then Trouble is the song it unlocks. lol

Yeah lol! I'm hoping for Heartstopper or Suspicious - with my luck it's going to be Trouble or Blues In The Morning winking smiley

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 18, 2015 23:12

I'm desperate to hear the album but I will resist listening to just snippets.
I need the whole songs dammitt! grinning smiley

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: August 18, 2015 23:23

I agree with vudicus, I am holding out for the album in its entirety. For me it is about the songs, and little bits of songs are not songs.

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: August 18, 2015 23:34

thanks spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 00:07 by claudine.

Posted by: ruchin ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:04

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:05

Tate
I agree with vudicus, I am holding out for the album in its entirety. For me it is about the songs, and little bits of songs are not songs.

Me too.
The whole songs, the artwork, the linernotes. "The Feel" baby.

Off to play TALK IS CHEAP until sept. 18.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:10

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:36

sometimes filler can turn out to be good shit. It just takes longer to get. The fix isn't immediate. Back when Exile came out it was considered 90 percent filler as well as most of the mid seventies albums. Emotional Rescue album besides SHE's SO COLD was basically discarded as garbage back in 1980. Different strokes for different folks

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:38

Could someone PLEASE send it to me??

SKJpainting@gmail.com

THANKYOU!!!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7879808182838485868788...LastNext
Current Page: 83 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1437