Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 68
Re: Paul McCartney"The Stones still play good"
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2014 22:09

treaclefingers
latebloomer
24FPS
treaclefingers
He's even kinder if you read the whole quote:

Paul, 72, admitted he was once told by a manager he should retire when he was 50, but he quickly dismissed the idea - and has now claimed The Rolling Stones prove why he can keep going.

He added: ''I thought about it for a second and thought, 'Nah'. When will you give up? When will it give out? Who knows? But the margin has been stretched these days.

''The Stones go out now, and I go to their show and I think, 'It doesn't matter that they're old gits. They can play great'. And I talk to young kids who say exactly the same thing: 'They play good.' ''

They CAN play great. They play GOOD. These are couched terms. Even the general consensus is becoming that THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD. Feigned praise indeed.

24, perhaps you are projecting your own opinion onto Macca's comments about the Stones. There's nothing feigned about what he said, he could have just as easily used great instead of good and he would have meant the same thing. Believe what ever you want to believe about the Stones now, it's a free forum. But it's a stretch to take Macca's remarks to mean that he thinks the band is just okay.

Well, if one's approach to life is 'glass half empty', it's how you're going to view things isn't it?

The glass is never half full, or half empty, it's flempty.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 21, 2014 22:38

24FPS
treaclefingers
latebloomer
24FPS
treaclefingers

Paul, 72, admitted he was once told by a manager he should retire when he was 50, but he quickly dismissed the idea - and has now claimed The Rolling Stones prove why he can keep going.

He added: ''I thought about it for a second and thought, 'Nah'. When will you give up? When will it give out? Who knows? But the margin has been stretched these days.

''The Stones go out now, and I go to their show and I think, 'It doesn't matter that they're old gits. They can play great'. And I talk to young kids who say exactly the same thing: 'They play good.' ''

They CAN play great. They play GOOD. These are couched terms. Even the general consensus is becoming that THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD. Feigned praise indeed.

24, perhaps you are projecting your own opinion onto Macca's comments about the Stones. There's nothing feigned about what he said, he could have just as easily used great instead of good and he would have meant the same thing. Believe what ever you want to believe about the Stones now, it's a free forum. But it's a stretch to take Macca's remarks to mean that he thinks the band is just okay.

Well, if one's approach to life is 'glass half empty', it's how you're going to view things isn't it?

I gave up on this conversation yesterday because it was late and I was just getting confused....flempty sounds about right for you, 24. winking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 22, 2014 01:16

24FPS

My glass is full smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 22, 2014 01:17

Oh oh and BTW, I saw Macca about a year ago, and he was great, I loved the show

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 22, 2014 03:09

<<The glass is never half full, or half empty, it's flempty.>>

You must realize that, logically speaking, you're admitting to being neither here nor there.

[the-penultimate-word.com]

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 22, 2014 05:25

24FPS
beachbreak
I watched "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" concert movie last night.

It was on Palladia TV.

I prefer the current live versions of JJF to the one they did then.

The same with some other tunes as well.

They still play great.

Once again, different ears, and eyes. I can barely watch the current lineup after watching that same 'LGTRS' recently. That group, the 1972 one, was really on fire, not 2014 Keith is on fire. The energy and joy Keith expresses, practically levitating, as they segue from JJF to Street Fighting Man is incomparable. There might have been slightly better Stones concerts in 1973, but so far we don't have a visual record of that.

The current group is giving a lot of joy to people who have never seen them before and want to hear the hits one more time from a roughly vague version of glory from long ago. If you prefer to hear Darryl over Bill, Ronnie over Mick Taylor, 2014 Keith over 1972 Keith, Chuck Leavell over Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart, well, good luck to you.

I prefer Bill Wyman to Darryl Jones for the Stones. Bill was one heck of a bassist. I was never a fan of Keith's "the ancient art of weaving" as it pertains to Ronnie. Mick Taylor mops the floor with Ronnie in terms of soloing and slide work BUT.............................now I prefer that weaving as opposed to Mick T just soloing the entire song behind Keith. For me, too much of that in LGTRS.I don't think a song like "Beast of Burden" would have been as good with Mick Taylor. As an aside, on a song like Street Fighting Man Mick T was incredible. It's 50/50 for me. I didn't enjoy the manic pace of some of the 70's live stuff. Too fast.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2014 05:27

stonehearted
<<The glass is never half full, or half empty, it's flempty.>>

You must realize that, logically speaking, you're admitting to being neither here nor there.

[the-penultimate-word.com]

That's your opinion...I don't think it's either here nor there.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 23:22

Reissues of Venus and Mars and Wings at the Speed of Sound are to be released on September 22. See Superdeluxeedition.com

Pete.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 5, 2014 16:35

A tape of the late George Harrison performing Beatles songs such as "A Hard Day's Night" and "Norwegian Wood" during a 1996 visit to Goa, India, has been verified as real.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 6, 2014 01:50

Hey, GREEK, I wish I'd known you were going to the Albany show! I would have come to say HELLO! I get a kick out of people who want to diss Paul...because it's proper..if you're a STONES FAN, you can't love Paul's shows! And I'm also glad you timed his show..I always do that. I started doing that when I wrote down Stones' set lists...start time,end time and all of the songs played. Now I don't keep the set list because I get it on line. Anyway, Paul played well OVER 3 hours. The Fenway show WAS a bit shorter.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 6, 2014 13:56

mickschix
Hey, GREEK, I wish I'd known you were going to the Albany show! I would have come to say HELLO! I get a kick out of people who want to diss Paul...because it's proper..if you're a STONES FAN, you can't love Paul's shows! And I'm also glad you timed his show..I always do that. I started doing that when I wrote down Stones' set lists...start time,end time and all of the songs played. Now I don't keep the set list because I get it on line. Anyway, Paul played well OVER 3 hours. The Fenway show WAS a bit shorter.
oh my god you are so kind . i would have loved to say hello , buy you a drink and talk a bit .Paul was awesome . what a show !!!!. i used to write the stones setlist down and take notes , start to finish . now with everything online it is less to have to do . i would go see Paul again in a flash!!!!!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 6, 2014 14:40

I'd seen him once before in 2006 and my girl friend said she wanted to go again, SOON! I arranged the whole night for her because it was on her Bucket List...seeing Paul! So, it looks like if he stays on the road, we may go again...gee, I'll have to let you know! I'll buy YOU a drink! Seeing McCartney really is a must if you love music! His band are real serious players, and of course Paul leaves it all out there every night. Glad you loved it too, Greek. I kind of sold the idea of seeing Paul to my pal by saying " for 3 hours + you will laugh, cry, dance and sing...and you will feel no pain!! Paul is like happiness in a bottle--or in this case, happiness will surround you!".

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 6, 2014 15:10

mickschix
I'd seen him once before in 2006 and my girl friend said she wanted to go again, SOON! I arranged the whole night for her because it was on her Bucket List...seeing Paul! So, it looks like if he stays on the road, we may go again...gee, I'll have to let you know! I'll buy YOU a drink! Seeing McCartney really is a must if you love music! His band are real serious players, and of course Paul leaves it all out there every night. Glad you loved it too, Greek. I kind of sold the idea of seeing Paul to my pal by saying " for 3 hours + you will laugh, cry, dance and sing...and you will feel no pain!! Paul is like happiness in a bottle--or in this case, happiness will surround you!".
you just made me smile . what a great description . glad you had a great time . what a top notch band he has , a five piece including Paul . just like the beatles with the fifth beatle billy preston . we also went to see ringo at the oakdale theatre in wallinford ct in june .that was really awesome as well . also i would be remiss if i did not mention the Fab Faux with jimmie vivino (conan's bandleader) along with will lee (late show with letterman ) what a great band and they really do the beatles justice .i mean down to the smallest nuances .this is really a must see show .smiles all around !!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2014 08:28

Quite an awesome show last night at Dodger stadium!
Saw him in Vegas a few years ago and thought it was so-so, but this was another story.

Amazing that at 72 years old Paul has the stamina to deliver a top quality show...39 tunes at nearly three hours long.
While his band are very tight, at times the guitar players seem to be a bit generic...playing solos note for note, but maybe lacking a bit of soul.
Stunning body of work which for the most part the setlist reflected.

Review: Paul McCartney

Eight Days a Week
Save Us
All My Loving
Listen to What the Man Said
Let Me Roll It (with "Foxy Lady" by Jimi Hendrix snippet)
Paperback Writer
My Valentine
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
The Long and Winding Road
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Just Seen a Face
We Can Work It Out
Another Day
And I Love Her
Blackbird
Here Today
New
Queenie Eye
Lady Madonna
All Together Now
Lovely Rita
Everybody Out There
Eleanor Rigby
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Something
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Band on the Run
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore:
Day Tripper
Hi, Hi, Hi
I Saw Her Standing There

Encore 2:
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 08:31 by Hairball.

Date: August 16, 2014 05:39

Did Ringo Gringo show up? I thought I read something about him planning to join Paul onstage in LA.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-16 05:40 by tatters.

Date: August 16, 2014 05:53

Ringo Gringo

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-16 06:08 by tatters.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 20, 2014 16:22

This Macca torrent was up on DIME on Monday for about an hour, I was able to snatch it before it was taken down...I imagine it will be released officially at some point, the picture/sound are spectacular!

Paul McCartney
Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
21st November 2013

Format: MKV/ 6349kbps
Lengt: 2h44m/ 7.29Gb
Video: H.264/ 1920x1080/ 16:9/ 29.97fps
Audio 1: AAC/ 128kpbs/ 48kHz/ 2ch.
Audio 2: DD/ 448kpbs/ 48kHz/ 2ch.

01. Eight Days a Week
02. Save Us
03. All My Loving
04. Listen to What the Man Said
05. Let Me Roll It (with Foxy Lady by Jimmy Hendrix snippet)
06. Paperback Writer
07. My Valentine
08. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
09. The Long and Winding Road
10. Maybe I'm Amazed
11. I've Just Seen a Face
12. We Can Work It Out
13. Another Day
14. And I Love Her
15. Blackbird
16. Here Today
17. New
18. Queenie Eye
19. Lady Madonna
20. All Together Now
21. Lovely Rita
22. Everybody Out There
23. Eleanor Rigby
24. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
25. Something
26. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
27. Band on the Run
28. Back in the U.S.S.R.
29. Let It Be
30. Live and Let Die
31. Hey Jude

Encore:
32. Day Tripper
33. Hi, Hi, Hi
34. Get Back

Encore 2:
35. Yesterday
36. Helter Skelter (Paul on Union Jack Hofner Bass)
37. Golden Slumbers
38. Carry That Weight
39. The End

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 20, 2014 16:31

24FPS
treaclefingers
latebloomer
24FPS
treaclefingers

As long as it got single malt Scotch in it, I don't mind either way.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 20, 2014 17:56

The Tokyo Show from 2013 is still on YouTube - and it's complete and great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDcxxQYPaU

Enjoy!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 20, 2014 18:20

Nice one Papo. Going to watch now.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 20, 2014 20:23

Dug "New" out the other evening: good album from Macca.

OT: McCartney Releasing 'NEW' Deluxe Set
Date: September 18, 2014 02:05

Reported by Rolling Stone (Source)

Track list is below.

Disc 1
1. "Save Us"
2. "Alligator"
3. "On My Way To Work"
4. "Queenie Eye"
5. "Early Days"
6. "New"
7. "Appreciate"
8. "Everybody Out There"
9. "Hosanna"
10. "I Can Bet"
11. "Looking At Her"
12. "Road"
13. "Turned Out"
14. "Get Me Out Of Here Plus Scared" (Hidden Track)

Disc 2
1. "Struggle" (previously available only in Japan)
2. "Hell To Pay" (previously unreleased)
3. "Demons Dance" (previously unreleased)
4. "Save Us" (Live at Tokyo Dome 2013)
5. "New" (Live at Tokyo Dome 2013)
6. "Queenie Eye" (Live at Tokyo Dome 2013)
7. "Everybody Out There" (Live at Tokyo Dome 2013)

Disc 3 (DVD)
1. Something New
2. New Interview (Bang & Olufsen Presents The Living Room Tour: Launching Paul McCartney’s Album New)

3. The Promo Tour
3.1. MGM Grand for iHeartRadio Music Festival, Las Vegas, 21st September 2013
3.2. Hollywood Boulevard with Jimmy Kimmel, Los Angeles, 23rd September 2013
3.3. NBC Studios with Jimmy Fallon, New York, 7th October 2013
3.4. Times Square, New York, 10th October 2013
3.5. The Shard, London, 15th October 2013
3.6. BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, 16th October 2013
3.7. The London Studios with Graham Norton, London, 17th October 2013
3.8. Covent Garden and HMV Oxford Street, London, 18th October 2013

4. Music Videos
4.1. "Queenie Eye"
4.2. "Save Us"
4.3. "Appreciate"
4.4. "Early Days"
4.5. "Making Of Queenie Eye"
4.6. "Making Of Appreciate"
4.7. "Making Of Early Days"

This three-disc set is slated for an October 28th release in a hard-back book. About the DVD, that information is below.

The Don Letts-directed doc, "Something New," traces New's creative evolution by featuring commentary from McCartney and the album's four producers: Paul Epworth, Mark Ronson, Ethan Johns and Giles Martin. Additional behind-the-scenes material focuses on the former Beatle's whirlwind international promotional stint behind the LP, including performances on Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon.

Not sure about you, but I'll be picking this up, as I'm listening to the album on shuffle right now! smiling smiley

Re: OT: McCartney Releasing 'NEW' Deluxe Set
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 02:49

Looks great! This is his highest charting release in the US (#3) since Flaming Pie, so no surprise he is doing the deluxe treatment. Live versions will be welcomed. Everybody Out There was fantastic live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 03:27 by whitem8.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:09

Didn't "Flamimg pie" top the US charts? Or at least get close in '97? I also remember seeing "Memory almost full" placed very highly on the US charts when it was out too. #2 or 3? And "Chaos" and "Kisses on the bottom" (still one of the worst titles I ever heard) were top 5ish? I recall one of them was also exclusively released initially thru Starbucks so with those added sales it may have topped the US charts. I was in the States at the time and think it was "Chaos". But anyway he's had plenty of major US album chart success since TOW in '82.

Any word on how it looks price wise?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:30

your right heavythrobber, I meant to type Flaming Pie, which made it to 2 in the US. And Memory Almost Full made it to 3 in the US. He's been on a roll now with his last three albums all in the top ten. I think Electric Arguments would have done better if not credited to The Fireman. IMO his best since Ram.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:34

Flaming Pie was #2 in the U.S. and Memory Almost Full was #3.

But the chart numbers can be deceptive in themselves, when you consider that although Pipes Of Peace only made #15, it still went platinum like Tug Of War--in fact, Pipes went platinum in three countries, whereas Tug only went platinum in the U.S. Chaos went gold in 5 countries, and Memory gold in 3 and platinum in one.

Since 1983, his best success has been in other countries: Give My Regards To Broad Street and Flowers In The Dirt both #1 and platinum in the UK; Off The Ground #2 and platinum in Germany; and Memory Almost Full platinum in Russia.

Despite charting at #5 on the U.S. Billboard 200 albums chart and #1 on the U.S. Billboard Jazz albums chart, Kisses On The Bottom sold 243,000 in the U.S. For a gold record in the U.S. an album must sell 500,000 units. New made the top 10 in eight countries, which all of his albums going back to Chaos have done, including #1 in Norway. However, despite reaching as high as #3 on the U.S. Billboard 200 albums chart and having been out for 11 months, New has only thus far sold 190,000 units. Both Chaos and Memory went gold in the U.S.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:36

Reminds me of A Bigger Bang being released, and then only after diehard fans bought it the Stones then released the deluxe version. Other Stones fans felt as I did, "If they'd both been available at the same time I'd have bought one and not the other." But of course fans buying both is part of the plan.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 18, 2014 21:37

So its nearly the same than the Japan Edition with dvd i bought

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:32

Looking forward to hearing the two new songs :
2. "Hell To Pay" (previously unreleased)
3. "Demons Dance" (previously unreleased)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 19, 2014 04:09

I saw McCartney at the Tokyo Dome - he was great. It's a worthwhile show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home