Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 68
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 15, 2014 22:54

Sorry man but I too zoomed in on was the 2:15 claim. His gigs have been long since 2001. Actually even further back, but those didn't have quite as many songs and a shorter video intro. Anyone remember the animal rights one? Think it was 1993. I thought I could watch it through without turning my head, I was wrong. Almost turned me into a Vegan but I can't live without pepperoni pizza, the rest I think I could manage, lol.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 16, 2014 00:40

My MP3 recorder from the moment he approached the stage till the lights were all back on read 2 hrs 45 mins. (feel free to minus 3-4 minutes for encore pauses)

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 16, 2014 07:27

LoveYouLive
Long John Stoner
LoveYouLive
And perhaps you overestimated the lenght of the show you saw?

I definitely had the song count wrong when I stated 30 but I definitely recall looking at my watch when he took the stage just around 9:15 that night and then when he left the stage at 11:30pm. Now I am not counting the lenghty video that started playing around 8:45pm leading into his performance. If you counted that, you would have 2 hours and 45 minutes. And how is it possible to play nearly 40 songs in just over 2 hours.... easy when a good many of them are only 2 minutes long. And I am not making that up. A good many of the tunes on the setlist are played in under 3 minutes.

And the lenghty of time really doesn't matter, because the Stones still deliver a superior live experience. I couldn't believe the contrast of the two shows held in the same venue on the same night of the week just 6 months apart? I know crowds can be different (even with the same band playing) but it was like night and day. But please forgive me if I show favor to the Stones on a Stones message board. If we are merely counting songs, Sir Paul will win all the time. Excitement is a different matter.

You are just not accurate with your times. First of all, most of McCartney's songs are pop songs, or radio friendly hits. By design they're anywhere from 2:30 to 4:30 long. I've seen many of his shows, including this last round, and he's doing full versions of each. When people say there are three hour shows, no one is ever talking about timed music, but instead the first song kicked off at 8:00 p.m. and the last chord was played at 11:00 p.m. Moreover, McCartney never leaves the stage. He sings each and every song AND is playing an instrument for each one. and for whatever reason, he even rarely drinks water. A certain lead singer of another group leaves the stage for two songs of the 19 or so that are played and gets to take a break.

But these are different types of shows. McCartney's not running around, but he's still putting quite a lot of energy into performance. Stones music is more blues oriented, some extended jams, that give the singer a break from his running around. I've seen both acts plenty of times and would not want to denigrate either, but if you've seen a Stones show from 1998-2003 then you've seen the 2014 version. McCartney varies his set list every tour.

First, I am not talking about the time he is playing music, I am talking about the time he went on stage and left. And I was at the Brooklyn show last year and he didn't go on stage at 8pm like you are claiming. He went on stage after 9pm, more like 9:15 and was off at 11:30pm. His lead in video didn't even start until 8:45pm. It may have been over 2 hours and 15 miutes total but it wasn't anymore than 2 hours and 25 minutes.

And thank you for enlightening me about what a Stones live show is all about.... I guess I wouldn't know as I've only seen them 40 times going back to the 1981 tour. Shame on Mick Jagger for running around and entertaining us all. I guess it would be better if he slowed down and focused on the songs more? And I don't agree with your general comment that these recent show are the same stuff we saw back in the 90's. First the shows I saw on the 50 and Counting Tour were between 21-23 songs and last close to 2 and 1/2 hours. I was at the Philly 2 show last year less than 2 weeks after seeing Paul in Brooklyn, with the same friends.... we remember it being a slightly longer show than Sir Paul's. And far superior! I also don't remember Mick Taylor playing with the Stones every night back in the 90's or all the other guest that I saw and personally loved. Seeing Aaron Neville "ruin" Under The Boardwalk was one of my favorites. I also had to suffer through Tom Wait's on Little Red Rooster and a sub-par version of Respectible with John Mayer. (sarcasm) And hearing Mick Taylor on CYHMK was also special and something I never experienced before.

And just like Sir Paul, the Stones change up their setlist a bit on every tour. There are plenty of songs they were performing that weren't played back in the 90's like Emotional Rescue & GOOMC (played some on No Security). I also didn't know that Doom & Gloom and One More Shot were ever played live before 2012? Yes they have their warhorses that make a large part of their set (too much) but they also pepper in less songs like Live With Me, Dead Flowers, All Down the Line & When the Whip Comes Down. I got all of this along with the other songs I've mentioned earlier.

And yes I saw shows in Europe this summer. They were wonderful shows but they weren't as good as the 50 and Counting Tour. It seems enough people complained and the special guest slot was removed... so Mick does seem to pay attention to some here. And most of the songs that were voted selections recently were either standard offerings or simply high in the rotation during 50 and Counting Tour. But Europe did get some changes as You Got Me Rocking & Out of Control were added to give the setlist a healthy dose of 90's offerings. Great (newer) songs but it would have been better if One More Shot wasn't drop. Hey you generally paid less... so you got less! Kind of how things work in life?

Would I see McCartney again... absolutely. But I would limit my attendance to only one show per tour. Especially since he cost the same to see here in the United States. He puts on a great show, but it isn't a Stones show. For me it isn't about the overall length.... it is about 2+ hours of quality live music. And some times less is more.

Your Brooklyn McCartney show was NOT the norm for the tour, so you can stop telling the rest of us we weren't getting longer shows either. And if we're seriously going to be pulling out the "when I first saw the Stones" card, mine was 1978.

It's two different types of shows. You have an obvious Stones bias. Good for you. But you liked McCartney, so I really don't see why you need to keep pounding this.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 16, 2014 08:01

LoveYouLive
Long John Stoner
LoveYouLive

First, I am not talking about the time he is playing music, I am talking about the time he went on stage and left. And I was at the Brooklyn show last year and he didn't go on stage at 8pm like you are claiming. He went on stage after 9pm, more like 9:15 and was off at 11:30pm. His lead in video didn't even start until 8:45pm. It may have been over 2 hours and 15 miutes total but it wasn't anymore than 2 hours and 25 minutes

Here's from a review of the first of the 2 Brooklyn shows from June 2013:

McCartney and his four completely adequate younger bandmates (drummer Abe Laboriel, Jr. deserves a special shout out for handling the toughest harmonies while keeping time) played a 38-song set (including 26 Beatles songs!) over 2 & 1/2 generous hours to the delight of boogying moms and hollering dads.

[gothamist.com]

Now that may not have been the night you went, but both shows featured the same 38 songs. It's extremely hard to believe that the second night would ave been cut in length to 2 hours 15 minutes while featuring the exact same songs

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 16, 2014 08:10

Here is from what Newsday reported on the first Brooklyn show:

NEWSDAY

Paul McCartney amazes at Barclays Center

Paul McCartney is always up for a challenge.

His two-hour-and-40-minute set was also a model of efficiency, barely breaking between songs for more than a few words of banter or a quick story. As Macca took off his waistcoat early in the show, he declared, “That is the big wardrobe change of the evening.”

This year he is routinely playing 39 songs and has stretched that to 40, so that is why his shows are coming in at 2 hours 45-50 minutes this year. Not quite 3 hours, but it's unstandable why people round it up to 3.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 08:13 by Halup.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 16, 2014 15:30

At least one of the Brooklyn shows is on dime if anyone wants to download it and verify the show's length.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2014 21:16

bleedingman
At least one of the Brooklyn shows is on dime if anyone wants to download it and verify the show's length.

While that would undeniably prove it without any additional doubt, I think at this point we're just pouring salt into an open wound.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 17, 2014 02:02

Sorry, LOVEYOULIVE, but you are totally wrong! I times the show I saw on July 5 in Albany..Paul came on at exactly 8:16PM and left the stage at 11:22PM..no intermission, sure some talking but he played 41 songs...NOT SNIPPETS, not hurrying through the numbers...full songs! And he doesn't just stand like a stature. He paces the set in a very smart way....4 piano tunes or maybe 3 this time, in a row...and he does play a few rare tracks like " Lovely Rita", Hi Hi Hi, Let Me Roll It, etc. and AGAIN, it's not a competition. I LOVE the Stones better than any band or performer on Earth but I can enjoy other shows and I DID enjoy Paul a lot! He is tremendous.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 17, 2014 18:34

mickschix
Sorry, LOVEYOULIVE, but you are totally wrong! I times the show I saw on July 5 in Albany..Paul came on at exactly 8:16PM and left the stage at 11:22PM..no intermission, sure some talking but he played 41 songs...NOT SNIPPETS, not hurrying through the numbers...full songs! And he doesn't just stand like a stature. He paces the set in a very smart way....4 piano tunes or maybe 3 this time, in a row...and he does play a few rare tracks like " Lovely Rita", Hi Hi Hi, Let Me Roll It, etc. and AGAIN, it's not a competition. I LOVE the Stones better than any band or performer on Earth but I can enjoy other shows and I DID enjoy Paul a lot! He is tremendous.
i 100% verify as gospel what mickschick said as i was there also !

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 17, 2014 19:10

From "The Long and Winding Q & A" published July 17 by Rolling Stone:

Your friend Eric Clapton recently said he's thinking about retiring from touring. Does that idea have any appeal to you?

Obviously, when you get to a certain age, it's going to be on the cards. I had a manager once who advised me to retire when I was 50. He said, "You know, I'm not sure it's seemly for a 50-year-old guy to keep on trying." I thought about it for a second and thought, "Nah." When will you give up? When will it give out? Who knows? But the margin has been stretched these days. The Stones go out now, and I go to their show and I think, "It doesn't matter that they're old gits. They can play great." And I talk to young kids who say exactly the same thing: "They play good."

Full interview - [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 18, 2014 01:30

These last couple of pages are quite amusing. One guy forgets to wind his watch and everyone feels compelled to leap to Macca's defense and confirm press reports about the show's length.

For my part, I can confirm the show length of just over 2 hours 45 minutes--I was sitting right in the middle of Fenway Park, in shallow center field, and had my eye on the right field clock at the start of the show and at the end. Then there were the people in the row behind me, one of them remarking as we began filing out after the last number, "Wow, almost 3 hours!"

Also, my legs were aching from standing for so long, quite a bit more so than at the end of the Stones show--which ran a half hour less for $200 more.

However, Macca is a solo act, and I'm sure that if all 4 Beatles were alive and touring as a unit they would be commanding an even higher ticket price than the Stones.

Date: July 18, 2014 08:44

stonehearted
These last couple of pages are quite amusing. One guy forgets to wind his watch and everyone feels compelled to leap to Macca's defense and confirm press reports about the show's length.

For my part, I can confirm the show length of just over 2 hours 45 minutes--I was sitting right in the middle of Fenway Park, in shallow center field, and had my eye on the right field clock at the start of the show and at the end. Then there were the people in the row behind me, one of them remarking as we began filing out after the last number, "Wow, almost 3 hours!"

Also, my legs were aching from standing for so long, quite a bit more so than at the end of the Stones show--which ran a half hour less for $200 more.

However, Macca is a solo act, and I'm sure that if all 4 Beatles were alive and touring as a unit they would be commanding an even higher ticket price than the Stones.

gee, d'ya think?

Paul McCartney"The Stones still play good"
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 20, 2014 14:51

He's not looking at retirement yet, takes a leaf from The Stones book

[entertainment.stv.tv]

Re: Paul McCartney"The Stones still play good"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2014 15:10

.... there ya go..... a talking beatle that speaks the truth ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 20, 2014 15:22

When they really played good - did he admit it then?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 20, 2014 15:24

Good on yer Macca.You are dead right. winking smiley

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 20, 2014 15:45

Stoneage
When they really played good - did he admit it then?

Objection to form.

Date: July 20, 2014 17:17

He's even kinder if you read the whole quote:

Paul, 72, admitted he was once told by a manager he should retire when he was 50, but he quickly dismissed the idea - and has now claimed The Rolling Stones prove why he can keep going.

He added: ''I thought about it for a second and thought, 'Nah'. When will you give up? When will it give out? Who knows? But the margin has been stretched these days.

''The Stones go out now, and I go to their show and I think, 'It doesn't matter that they're old gits. They can play great'. And I talk to young kids who say exactly the same thing: 'They play good.' ''

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 20, 2014 17:55

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2014 02:04

treaclefingers

Paul, 72, admitted he was once told by a manager he should retire when he was 50, but he quickly dismissed the idea - and has now claimed The Rolling Stones prove why he can keep going.

He added: ''I thought about it for a second and thought, 'Nah'. When will you give up? When will it give out? Who knows? But the margin has been stretched these days.

''The Stones go out now, and I go to their show and I think, 'It doesn't matter that they're old gits. They can play great'. And I talk to young kids who say exactly the same thing: 'They play good.' ''

They CAN play great. They play GOOD. These are couched terms. Even the general consensus is becoming that THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD. Feigned praise indeed.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 21, 2014 02:51

I watched "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" concert movie last night.

It was on Palladia TV.

I prefer the current live versions of JJF to the one they did then.

The same with some other tunes as well.

They still play great.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 21, 2014 05:33

beachbreak

It was on Palladia TV.

They still play great.
I agree and beyond that I cared very little for the partied up version of this band that toured through the eighties and 90's. Yes there are some well executed clips but the energy was wrong, very rushed and sometimes soulless. Today's band may move slower and struggle through some sections but the emotion and desire to please is from the heart.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 21, 2014 06:03

24FPS
treaclefingers

They CAN play great. They play GOOD. These are couched terms. Even the general consensus is becoming that THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD. Feigned praise indeed.

24, perhaps you are projecting your own opinion onto Macca's comments about the Stones. There's nothing feigned about what he said, he could have just as easily used great instead of good and he would have meant the same thing. Believe what ever you want to believe about the Stones now, it's a free forum. But it's a stretch to take Macca's remarks to mean that he thinks the band is just okay.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 21, 2014 06:26

Yes they do. So does Paul.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 21, 2014 06:36

71Tele

...and you know this, how?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 21, 2014 07:30

latebloomer
71Tele

...and you know this, how?

That Paul still plays good? Saw him last year in Seattle.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 21, 2014 08:10

" I said to Nancy, "Hey, we can take a holiday! A real holiday, where we go away."
So we went away to Ibiza. Obviously, there's a lot of dance music there. We didn't exactly go clubbing, but there's plenty of it about. It's in the air in that place.
The house we rented didn't have a good sound system, so I said, "Excuse me, we're in Ibiza. I've really got to be able to hire a sound system." So I found the right guys, and they showed up and got me a really great little system. We were saying, "We could rent this house out one evening for 600 people, and we could have a rave." [Laughs] We didn't do it"

Typical Paulie. Boasting about sth he could have done but eventually didn't. Macca's been walking thru life in slippers since when? 1967?

And you wonder why we prefer the Stones? Mick would have rented this house out one evening for 600 people.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2014 09:35

beachbreak

It was on Palladia TV.

They still play great.

Once again, different ears, and eyes. I can barely watch the current lineup after watching that same 'LGTRS' recently. That group, the 1972 one, was really on fire, not 2014 Keith is on fire. The energy and joy Keith expresses, practically levitating, as they segue from JJF to Street Fighting Man is incomparable. There might have been slightly better Stones concerts in 1973, but so far we don't have a visual record of that.

The current group is giving a lot of joy to people who have never seen them before and want to hear the hits one more time from a roughly vague version of glory from long ago. If you prefer to hear Darryl over Bill, Ronnie over Mick Taylor, 2014 Keith over 1972 Keith, Chuck Leavell over Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart, well, good luck to you.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 21, 2014 11:17

24FPS
good luck to you.

Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 21, 2014 16:47

latebloomer
24FPS
treaclefingers

24, perhaps you are projecting your own opinion onto Macca's comments about the Stones. There's nothing feigned about what he said, he could have just as easily used great instead of good and he would have meant the same thing. Believe what ever you want to believe about the Stones now, it's a free forum. But it's a stretch to take Macca's remarks to mean that he thinks the band is just okay.

Well, if one's approach to life is 'glass half empty', it's how you're going to view things isn't it?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home