Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 4, 2015 01:45

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 14:42 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 4, 2015 01:48

that's horrible

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 4, 2015 09:21

Got the box set last night. First I have to say the 2 Marquee songs are in amazing quality. The other discs have already been discussed so I'll skip that. The box itself is smaller than I expected, but actually I prefer it that way. The book cover has the zipper, I expected it on the outside of the box, but it's better (and safer) inside the box. The pages in the book are nice and glossy, some new ones, overall a great presentation. The 45 is a nice pressing with a 2015 date, so it's not a left over as some of us thought it would be. There's only one stand-up per box, mine has Mick. The poster is okay but unnecessary to me. The construction of everything is great. Overall I'd say it's a great box, a well done comprehensive piece. I believe it's well worth the price.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 4, 2015 10:20

frankotero
Got the box set last night. First I have to say the 2 Marquee songs are in amazing quality. The other discs have already been discussed so I'll skip that. The box itself is smaller than I expected, but actually I prefer it that way. The book cover has the zipper, I expected it on the outside of the box, but it's better (and safer) inside the box. The pages in the book are nice and glossy, some new ones, overall a great presentation. The 45 is a nice pressing with a 2015 date, so it's not a left over as some of us thought it would be. There's only one stand-up per box, mine has Mick. The poster is okay but unnecessary to me. The construction of everything is great. Overall I'd say it's a great box, a well done comprehensive piece. I believe it's well worth the price.

Thanks for the overview Frank. Is there much text in the book or is it mainly photos?

Date: June 4, 2015 10:38

I'll second everything Frank says, except for Charlie being my cut-out smiling smiley

It should be added that the people filming the Marquee-show must have had lots of mushrooms before the gig. Who came up with the idea of showing Charlie in the picture only when he hit his snare? LOL, I've never been so dizzy. But it's great fun, and the quality of the footage and sound from Marquee is astonishingly good.

Date: June 4, 2015 11:54

Hi Father Ted, yes, there's plenty of story telling about how the album/artwork came about. I've only read a few pages so far but I think there's a lot of information I didn't know. Hi Dandelion Powderman, I'm happy to have Mick as the cut-out but part of me wishes it was Keef instead. I wonder how many they made of each. Seems Mick and Keef would be in most boxes. That would mean you got a rarity. What number is yours? Don't have mine here at work, but it's somewhere in the 12,000s.

Date: June 4, 2015 11:59

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:48

German retailer jpc.de says they have all new Sticky Finger versions in store…

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:39

frankotero
Hi Father Ted, yes, there's plenty of story telling about how the album/artwork came about. I've only read a few pages so far but I think there's a lot of information I didn't know. Hi Dandelion Powderman, I'm happy to have Mick as the cut-out but part of me wishes it was Keef instead. I wonder how many they made of each. Seems Mick and Keef would be in most boxes. That would mean you got a rarity. What number is yours? Don't have mine here at work, but it's somewhere in the 12,000s.

Sounds cool, thanks Frank thumbs up

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:08

Father Ted
frankotero

I think the ones that have Taylor as the cut-out part have got a real rarity.

Date: June 4, 2015 15:02

kleermaker
Father Ted
frankotero

And if you get both Taylors?

Date: June 4, 2015 15:16

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Father Ted
frankotero

How do you mean, both? Are there two of them, does he have a double? That would explain something!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 4, 2015 15:48

Stones seeking new fans with 'Sticky Fingers' re-release

Keith Richards performs at The Rolling Stones Zip Code Tour opening night at Petco Park on Sunday, May 24, 2015 in San Diego, Calif. (Photo by Rich Fury/Invision/AP)

Jun. 3, 2015

By GREGORY KATZ, Associated Press

LONDON – Keith Richards doesn’t keep a list of the Top 10 Rolling Stones albums. But he’s happy to place “Sticky Fingers,” being re-released in a deluxe edition next week, near the very top.

“I put it up there,” he said in a recent interview. “I don’t No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 them, but it’s somewhere in that jumble, top four or five albums.”

With its provocative Andy Warhol designed album cover and strong sax work on classics like “Brown Sugar” and “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking,” the album has long been a favourite with fans who first heard it way back on its release date in 1971.

It was released at the height of what many regards as the Stones’ creative peak, a stretch that included “Beggars Banquet,” ”Let It Bleed” and “Exile on Main Street.”

The album catches the Stones in transition, with Mick Taylor stepping fully into his role as the late Brian Jones’ replacement. The Stones also moved beyond their comfort zone, recording several songs at the famed Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in rural Alabama rather than in their usual London haunts.

Richards remembers that studio as “a magical room” with a distinctive sound that made recording a breeze.

“It’s a natural, no wonder so many great records came out of there,” he said by phone. “All you had to do was stick a microphone up and it was there.”

The guitarist said he had been “iffy” about the industry trend toward re-releasing expanded editions of old classic material until the redone 2010 version of “Exile” did surprisingly well, even topping the British charts some 38 years after its initial release.

“I forgot that basically a couple of generations had gone by since the things first came out,” Richards said. “What I realized after ‘Exile’ was that we picked up an enormous amount of new young fans, because they thought it was a new record.”

The band has toyed with the idea of playing the complete “Sticky Fingers” album on their current tour, offering a full version in a club date in Los Angeles but then only a handful of cuts on their first arena date.

Frontman Mick Jagger had warned that the album might contain too many ballads for a traditionally up-tempo Stones gig.

Richards, 71, said in his 2010 autobiography that he is content to rest on his considerable rock ‘n’ roll laurels. But he’s got several goals at the moment — including a consuming desire to get the band in a studio again after a lengthy hiatus. The last full studio CD, “A Bigger Bang,” was released a decade ago.

“There’s always talk of doing a blues album, but I’m not so sure about that,” Richards said.

“I’d be happy to get them back in the studio and record anything,” said Richards, who recently recorded a solo album but has yet to announce its official release. “Sometimes we come up with our best stuff in the studio. I’ll just be happy to get them in there.”

[www.ap.org]

Date: June 4, 2015 16:05

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Father Ted
frankotero

How do you mean, both? Are there two of them, does he have a double? That would explain something!

Mick and Dick, both former members of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 16:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2015 16:13

about that above interview with Keith, and re-releasing old albums-

really?

"picked up an enormous amount of fans, who thought it was a new record"..

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 4, 2015 16:48

duke richardson

really?

...another great Keithism. smoking smiley

Just his way of saying that is part of the (if not the main) reason for remastering, repackaging & re-releasing old/ classic material, imo.

(He's just one big charming megalomaniac, our keith boy... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Date: June 4, 2015 17:06

my question is, the 'enormous amount of new, young fans thinking it was a new record' part..

how was that determined..?

a lot of people bought the repackaged re-released Exile, but did they think it was a new album..?

Date: June 4, 2015 17:10

duke richardson
my question is, the 'enormous amount of new, young fans thinking it was a new record' part..

how was that determined..?

a lot of people bought the repackaged re-released Exile, but did they think it was a new album..?

You can wipe the «thinking it was a new record-part», and it would be correct smiling smiley

Date: June 4, 2015 17:31

that's Keith!

smileys with beer

Date: June 4, 2015 18:18

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Father Ted
frankotero

Mick and Dick, both former members of the band.

Is Brian then also one of the cut-outs?

Date: June 4, 2015 18:20

duke richardson

really?

He could be right here!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 18:35

I get that the idea of it being thought of as a new album is possible considering how clueless kids are these days when it comes to music. Perhaps that's what Keith is considering. Maybe someone filled him in on that fact.

Then again maybe he's just... like he said about FORTY LICKS. Just saying something to say something.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:34

For those of you who don't have the album yet, you can go to their website and pull down the zip and then wait ten minutes for your computer to load so that you can hear the alternate version of CYHMK... or you can go to their spotify playlist and play it. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:46

alieb
For those of you who don't have the album yet, you can go to their website and pull down the zip and then wait ten minutes for your computer to load so that you can hear the alternate version of CYHMK... or you can go to their spotify playlist and play it. eye rolling smiley

Thank you. Awesome "bitch" versionsmiling smiley

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: June 5, 2015 13:45

New 'trailer' for the rerelease on youtube:

Posted by: minchin hampton ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:43

the stock arrived today

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:44

minchin hampton
the stock arrived today

>grinning smiley< thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: June 5, 2015 18:10

Just playing the vinyl today. My thought is the 2nd (extra) disc is great but overloaded as modern recordings are. But... the original album sounds wonderful and beautiful to my old ears. Matter of fact I had to turn it up to match the 2nd record. For all us crazies I think this is a very nice release. Hope you're all enjoying it. Play it loud, if you can still take it. I say that because I can rarely do this myself. Have fun with you're Sticky Celebrations.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: June 5, 2015 19:24

kleermaker
Father Ted
frankotero

I'd like to trade Mick for Mick...got Jagger...want Taylor
Cheers
CrazyMama

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 5, 2015 20:36

Just got my 2 cd Sticky. Listening to Bitch, cant you hear me with a glass of wine and a smoke...(clean and good and healthy living according to KEEF)

Great Great stuff. just got it 3 minutes and i am HAPPY !!!

Will write more later.

jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home