Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 02:15

Four cuts off Sticky Fingers precede 1970. The three Mussel Shoals songs and Sister Morphine. It's ridiculous to suggest Keith is not central to the album. Ry Cooder takes lead on a song recorded before MT even came on board. Keith doesn't have to be denigrated in order to promote MT's contributions. We all know KR wasn't around for Moonlight Mile and Sway. Also Stop Beeaking Down, which was saved for Exile.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 21, 2015 02:35

>The three Mussel Shoals songs

Muscle Shoals

(I know it doesn't make sense but that's how they spell it)

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:40

I may have missed this info, but is there a way to get the 3 cd version without paying so much, short of going digital download? I can't pay that much and the 2 cd is in the 20.00 or less range. Can't see doing 100.00 more to get the 3rd disc lol.

Date: May 22, 2015 16:03

Caved in and pre-ordered the Super Deluxe CDs yesterday. Swore I wouldn't by CDs again, but I'll probably feel better when I buy the vinyl set smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2015 07:47

If anyone preordered digital, specifically Google Play, check your library now.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 26, 2015 09:27

tumblingdice
If anyone preordered digital, specifically Google Play, check your library now.

What's to be seen ? (I can't access to Google Play from where I am)

Date: May 26, 2015 09:56

They still had today as release date so it's available now.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 09:58

How do the Leeds tracks sound?

Date: May 26, 2015 10:00

Amazing, listening with a headset...the other few live tracks on disc 2 are my favorite though.

Date: May 26, 2015 10:05

Seems to be a great mix, much better than the Brussels release. Taylor is just right and Keith still right up there too. But LIV and SCB on disc 2 are perfect.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 10:14

tumblingdice
Seems to be a great mix, much better than the Brussels release. Taylor is just right and Keith still right up there too. But LIV and SCB on disc 2 are perfect.

Good. I love Brussels, but it's irritating how low in the mix Taylor is a lot of the time. So you think it sounds better than the bootleg? It's kind of bass heavy, but I like that about it.

Date: May 26, 2015 10:17

I do like it better than the boot. Didn't seem too bass heavy to me. I don't have a pc to burn to disc though so I have only listened using my phone with headset connected. To sound this good like that I would imagine cd should be even better. If I wasn't waiting all day later today for my Stones tickets to arrive in the mail I would test it out connected in the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 10:22 by tumblingdice.

Date: May 26, 2015 11:16

TeddyB1018
Four cuts off Sticky Fingers precede 1970. The three Mussel Shoals songs and Sister Morphine. It's ridiculous to suggest Keith is not central to the album. Ry Cooder takes lead on a song recorded before MT even came on board. Keith doesn't have to be denigrated in order to promote MT's contributions. We all know KR wasn't around for Moonlight Mile and Sway. Also Stop Beeaking Down, which was saved for Exile.

For the backing tracks that's correct, of course.

But the choruses wouldn't have been the same without him.

Date: May 26, 2015 11:21

kleermaker
@Naturalust

Another interesting bit of text says this:

<It [Sticky Fingers] is a bit "the album of the two Micks", especially because Keith is busy 'plunging' into drugs and because his presence becomes more and more uncertain. Besides, in his biography 'Life' Keith finally evokes SF very few times (only two mentions, against a dozen for Exile), preferring to talk about - as for that period - business matters and drugs.>

Imagine if he wasn't busy with the drugs!

Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
You Gotta Move
Bitch
I Got The Blues
Sister Morphine
Dead Flowers

And of course, the back up vocals on Sway.

The truth is that Taylor is absent in the soundscape on just as many tracks as Keith is smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:01

TeddyB1018
It's ridiculous to suggest Keith is not central to the album.

Plus keep in mind the Andy Johns story abotu the birth of "Bitch". Keith arrived at the studio one day ready to work (that is at 5pm) while Jagger and the others were painfully working thru the song. Angrier and angrier at the sonic crap he was subjected he dropped his bowl of cereals grabbed a guitar and joined the rehearsal.

Acc to Johsn in no time the arrangement of "Bitch" was done! thumbs up

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:45

dcba
TeddyB1018

Plus keep in mind the Andy Johns story abotu the birth of "Bitch". Keith arrived at the studio one day ready to work (that is at 5pm) while Jagger and the others were painfully working thru the song. Angrier and angrier at the sonic crap he was subjected he dropped his bowl of cereals grabbed a guitar and joined the rehearsal.

Haha, all those nice stories from guys like Andy Johns and his brother Glyn and whoever. I also like the one from Taylor about CYHMK, that they just went on playing and recorded the second jazzy part in one take. Fantastic in both senses of the word.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:48

dcba
TeddyB1018

or maybe he was just pissed that they were recording a cool song without him! So who wrote Bitch then, MJ?

So, MJ writes Brown Sugar, Bitch, Sway, Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile?

Date: May 26, 2015 15:49

tumblingdice
I do like it better than the boot. Didn't seem too bass heavy to me. I don't have a pc to burn to disc though so I have only listened using my phone with headset connected. To sound this good like that I would imagine cd should be even better. If I wasn't waiting all day later today for my Stones tickets to arrive in the mail I would test it out connected in the car.

Are all Leeds tracks (and Roundhouse as well) in stereo, thus really different from the boot?

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: May 27, 2015 00:50

Here is a sampler I created from the Google Play tracks;
[we.tl]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 27, 2015 01:07

kevinkamphuis
[we.tl]

Fantastic. Thanks.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 27, 2015 01:24

dcba
TeddyB1018

And so a bowl of cereal was sacrificed for the good of mankind...

Date: May 27, 2015 01:25

kevinkamphuis
[we.tl]

Thanks Kevin! That really does taste to more. cool smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 27, 2015 01:35

Wow, that sounds better than I imagined. Can't figure out all that VPN stuff so I'll have to be patient for 9 more days to buy it in the store. It's not going to be easy.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 27, 2015 01:40

Dead Flowers

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 27, 2015 01:45

Deltics
Dead Flowers

Thanks Deltics! I love it!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 01:46

treaclefingers
dcba
TeddyB1018

or maybe he was just pissed that they were recording a cool song without him! So who wrote Bitch then, MJ?

So, MJ writes Brown Sugar, Bitch, Sway, Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile?

I don't find it improbable that Jagger and Taylor were more central to SF in some sense, but there is little doubt Keith tapped into it and gave it groove and other highly tangible musicality that was purely Keith. He was still the musical leader of the band in those days and I doubt many final takes were done without his playing and approval. But, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he first heard what Mick and MT had come with on Moonlight Mile. I can imagine him saying something like "Well it doesn't really rock does it?", but in a sense it was probably a bit of a wake up call and motivation for him to keep producing and staying as involved as his addictions would permit. And thankfully we got Exile shortly thereafter.

peace

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 02:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 02:47 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 27, 2015 02:01

Deltics
Dead Flowers

Sounds like a live rehearsal to me, not a studio outtake.

J

Date: May 27, 2015 02:04

TeddyB1018
Deltics
Dead Flowers

This does sound like the live 1970 versions they were doing. Interesting that it seems Nicky and Keith's lead guitar were added to the final version. This is great. The final version is greater.

Keith's lead guitar?? Where??

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 27, 2015 02:06

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 02:07 by Deltics.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home