Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 28, 2015 23:56

kleermaker
Eleanor Rigby
This is good.

the CYHMK outake is great...but...how much are you going to listen to it?
I love outtakes..but I tend not to re-listen to them that often.

The date about clapton is a joke...it is definitely after the released version.

BTW - anyone think a bit of the CYHMK (outtake) has a bit of monteal rehearsal about it??? The instrumental song they do..

Montreux you mean? O well, then they sing instumentally ; )

yep kleerie...forgive my spanish..

Date: April 28, 2015 23:59

Eleanor Rigby
This is good.

the CYHMK outake is great...but...how much are you going to listen to it?
I love outtakes..but I tend not to re-listen to them that often.

The date about clapton is a joke...it is definitely after the released version.

BTW - anyone think a bit of the CYHMK (outtake) has a bit of monteal rehearsal about it??? The instrumental song they do..

Definitely! Keith with his open G is attacking just like on Hip Shake in Montreux.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 29, 2015 00:17

Well this outakke sounds like nothing but a spontaneous jam throwing some new ideas around. Nothing special or interesting. I don't think I'll ever listen to it again, maybe once when I buy the cd.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 29, 2015 01:12

This is were it shows the true nature of hard-core fans: they will always want the complete opposite of what they being given.

When Exile and Some Girls were re-released with bonus materials, fans ranted and complained that Jagger did overdubs.

This time around, there is no overdubs and we are treated with raw unpolished outtakes. Still, the complaining never ends and now the fans are unsatisfied with that as well.

The only way the true hard-core fan is going to be satisfied, is when they can control the minds of Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood...

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: April 29, 2015 01:17

yeababyyea
Well this outakke sounds like nothing but a spontaneous jam throwing some new ideas around. Nothing special or interesting. I don't think I'll ever listen to it again, maybe once when I buy the cd.

That makes you an official non-stones-fan..... period.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 29, 2015 01:33

Blueranger
This is were it shows the true nature of hard-core fans: they will always want the complete opposite of what they being given.

When Exile and Some Girls were re-released with bonus materials, fans ranted and complained that Jagger did overdubs.

This time around, there is no overdubs and we are treated with raw unpolished outtakes. Still, the complaining never ends and now the fans are unsatisfied with that as well.

The only way the true hard-core fan is going to be satisfied, is when they can control the minds of Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood...

I loved the outtakes with new vocals by Mick. They were very fun to hear and sounded like completed songs. I've never been a fan of outakkes with rough and unfinished vocals which sounds improvised though. Not when released on bootlegs either.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 29, 2015 01:57

yeababyyea
Blueranger

I loved the outtakes with new vocals by Mick. They were very fun to hear and sounded like completed songs. I've never been a fan of outakkes with rough and unfinished vocals which sounds improvised though. Not when released on bootlegs either.

I also enjoyed them finishing the songs, and prefer it that way. Doesn't always work but some time marvelous results.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 29, 2015 04:56

treaclefingers
yeababyyea
Blueranger

I also enjoyed them finishing the songs, and prefer it that way. Doesn't always work but some time marvelous results.

Yes, same here. The novelty value of unfinished tracks, with unfinished vocals in particular, wears off quite quickly. It's ok for bootlegs, but for official releases, not so much. Having unfinished tracks on a Deluxe Edition bonus disc with just 10 or so tracks total is a bit of a waste of playing time.

Re: Can't you hear me knocking on buzzfeed
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 29, 2015 15:01

Mathijs
The story that they just made up the instrumental part on the spot is just folklore of course. The change to Dminor, the chording and especialy the end riff all are very much worked through and arranged.

You are right, the chord and rhythm change were of course planned. But I always thought that the 'folklore' referred to the fact that the instrumental took much longer than they planned. And eventually they went back to the final riff. But we should ask the fly on the wall what really happened. smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2015 16:05

Mathijs

The story that they just made up the instrumental part on the spot is just folklore of course. The change to Dminor, the chording and especialy the end riff all are very much worked through and arranged.

Mathijs

What if they just had two embryos of songs that were going "nowhere" so to speak and someone (Miller?) told them to splice them together to make a masterpiece?

And (ho-hum) have you noticed Mick Taylor brings nothing to the burgeoning song?
He starts with some meandering solo lines then he "doubles" Keith with boring guitar chords...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-29 16:21 by dcba.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 29, 2015 17:05

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Alternate is on Qobuz in CD quality download : [www.qobuz.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 29, 2015 17:58

dcba
Mathijs

Mathijs

What if they just had two embryos of songs that were going "nowhere" so to speak and someone (Miller?) told them to splice them together to make a masterpiece?

And (ho-hum) have you noticed Mick Taylor brings nothing to the burgeoning song?
He starts with some meandering solo lines then he "doubles" Keith with boring guitar chords...

What a stupid conclusion, taken from one lousy take out of maybe 50 or 100. This whole embryo thingy is totally worthless and says hardly anything. Just a short jam in between a couple of beers during lunch time or something. Did you hear Jagger 'sing'?

Or is it irony? Then it's a brilliant sentence and goes all the praise to your direction.

Sticky Fingers
Posted by: twotonguekisses ()
Date: April 29, 2015 18:03

Curious if anyone knows how rare the Sticky Fingers CD with the "real zipper" on it is?

Re: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 29, 2015 18:15

twotonguekisses
Curious if anyone knows how rare the Sticky Fingers CD with the "real zipper" on it is?
cool username!

Re: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 29, 2015 21:29

twotonguekisses
CBS cardbox 450 195-9 over regular Nice Price edition 450 195-2 with matrix CDCBS-450195 33 B3 MASTERED BY DADC AUSTRIA?

Kind of rare but not an extreme rarity. These days you can find it on ebay relatively easy @ fair price.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2015 23:11

kleermaker

What a stupid conclusion,

What I mean is Keith drives the song (he even takes a solo) Charlie quickly slips into a groove and Mick makes sure the fire of the take doesn't fade too early.
They all do it instinctively and they're brilliant!

What does Taylor at the same time : a boring solo followed by boring chords.

Date: April 29, 2015 23:43

dcba
kleermaker

What I mean is Keith drives the song (he even takes a solo) Charlie quickly slips into a groove and Mick makes sure the fire of the take doesn't fade too early.

Brilliant in your opinion, not in mine. But what you say isn't proof of anything, you're only talking about one take out of dozens. Maybe the next take Taylor was brilliant and Keith totally off. Could be, we just don't know. It's rather dumb to jump to conclusions based on this less than average take which I listened to about three times but never will do again. Let's have a listen at the totally different definitive SF-version. What would you conclusion be then?

btw: is there someone here who listens regularly or even with a low frequence to the Exile extra songs? I think very few, maybe only to Plundered My Soul. I mean musically it's garbage. I would like to get instead of this crap (just like the WH-outtake) more live material from the 1970/1971 tours, just as I would love to exchange all the Exile deluxe outtakes for live material from the 1972 tour. To that I would listen to countless times.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 30, 2015 00:04

kleermaker
dcba
kleermaker

Brilliant in your opinion, not in mine. But what you say isn't proof of anything, you're only talking about one take out of dozens. Maybe the next take Taylor was brilliant and Keith totally off. Could be, we just don't know. It's rather dumb to jump to conclusions based on this less than average take which I listened to about three times but never will do again. Let's have a listen at the totally different definitive SF-version. What would you conclusion be then?

btw: is there someone here who listens regularly or even with a low frequence to the Exile extra songs? I think very few, maybe only to Plundered My Soul. I mean musically it's garbage. I would like to get instead of this crap (just like the WH-outtake) more live material from the 1970/1971 tours, just as I would love to exchange all the Exile deluxe outtakes for live material from the 1972 tour. To that I would listen to countless times.

---

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 00:21 by maumau.

Date: April 30, 2015 00:13

Kleerie, you're man enough to handle criticism and different views better than this.

The outtake is fresh, and we can dream us back to the creation of the song. Of course it's of tremendous value to Stones fans. Not as a finished piece of music, but as a document of a stage in a creative process.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 30, 2015 00:25

I listened three times to that CYHMK alternate version and it's brilliant.
By the way...nice sum up,DP.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 30, 2015 00:40

kleermaker
btw: is there someone here who listens regularly or even with a low frequence to the Exile extra songs?
Me.

kleermaker
I would love to exchange all the Exile deluxe outtakes for live material from the 1972 tour.
Not me.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 30, 2015 01:06

dcba
kleermaker

A stupid conclusion indeed. I like the outtake, it's good and I enjoy the variations on Keith's part from the album version. But your analysis is nonsense. This is now (once again) a conversation about Mick Taylor not because of Kleermaker, but because you couldn't resist having a go at him for absolutely no reason. What's wrong with Taylor's playing? He's accompanying Keith on the fly and adding some nice touches around the chorus and throughout the jam at the end. Also, he doesn't solo at any point, so I have no idea where you got that from.

Date: April 30, 2015 01:13

I think he's referring to the single string licks he's doing.

Date: April 30, 2015 01:14

Stoneburst
dcba
kleermaker

A stupid conclusion indeed. I like the outtake, it's good and I enjoy the variations on Keith's part from the album version. But your analysis is nonsense. This is now (once again) a conversation about Mick Taylor not because of Kleermaker, but because you couldn't resist having a go at him for absolutely no reason. What's wrong with Taylor's playing? He's accompanying Keith on the fly and adding some nice touches around the chorus and throughout the jam at the end. Also, he doesn't solo at any point, so I have no idea where you got that from.

After three times I couldn't discover any Taylor solo so I gave up. grinning smiley

Date: April 30, 2015 01:40

shortfatfanny
I listened three times to that CYHMK alternate version and it's brilliant.
By the way...nice sum up,DP.

If you still listen to it on a regular base over a year I'll send you a good bottle of wine!

Date: April 30, 2015 01:43

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, that was my guess. Ironic, since Taylor also does those on the studio version...

Date: April 30, 2015 01:44

kleermaker
After three times I couldn't discover any Taylor solo so I gave up. grinning smiley

>grinning smiley<

Date: April 30, 2015 01:47

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, that was my guess. Ironic, since Taylor also does those on the studio version...

Where?

Date: April 30, 2015 01:50

DandelionPowderman
Kleerie, you're man enough to handle criticism and different views better than this.

The outtake is fresh, and we can dream us back to the creation of the song. Of course it's of tremendous value to Stones fans. Not as a finished piece of music, but as a document of a stage in a creative process.

Well Dandy it's my sincere opinion and I bet you too won't listen to it over about a year or so, or probably much sooner. I already knew about the way they finally came with something good or great. It began normally with nothing special, just one or two nice ideas and then they worked on it endlessly in the studio, all members adding something to it. It's hard to call it songwriting, let alone composing. It would be interesting to follow the course of the coming into being of a song, the whole route, not just one single, arbitrary and musically uninteresting piece of music. But we've already seen that in that Sympathy For The Devil Godard movie. Nice for one time, but that's it.

Btw: Did you enjoy the WH-outtake too? I can't image that. And well, I'm no fan you know. cool smiley

Date: April 30, 2015 01:52

2.10 etc

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home