Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 6, 2015 18:50

Anybody know the story of the origin of the name "Sticky Fingers"? Is it some literal reference or some other reference like to Klein stealing RS money? Thanks.

peace

Re: Spanish Deluxe Edition Sticky Fingers Reissue
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 6, 2015 19:01

[xxxxantiques.net]

Leonioid
treaclefingers
Leonioid
treaclefingers
Leonioid
ummmm... Fowler's treacle fingers from West India.

I think this is a wonderful homage...

Oh Madge

you're soaking in it. treacle, that is.

lmao... really :D

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 6, 2015 19:05

If any item HAS to be in Treaclefinger's collection, it is this one!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 6, 2015 19:08

Nikkei
AT LEAST the can opener needs to be.

EDIT-
HEY!!! you really can buy that can... only 38 bucks!!! [xxxxantiques.net]

2 POUNDS!!! WOW!!! Thats a LOT of TREACLE!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-06 19:21 by Leonioid.

Date: May 6, 2015 19:12

That thing looks scary. I woudn't even know how to use it

Date: May 6, 2015 19:17

Nikkei
That thing looks scary. I woudn't even know how to use it
;) Me neither and I think that is the beauty of it, eh?

Date: May 6, 2015 19:23

Yeah, the spanish cover is cutting-edge in his own way. Like when you look at something sharp, you subconciously imagine a cut.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 6, 2015 23:48

I think the title "Sticky Fingers" refers to the actual photo on the album cover. Is it me, or is the model on the front in a state of surgidity, or tumescence ? Did the cover come before the title ?

Date: May 7, 2015 00:09

tomcasagranda
I think the title "Sticky Fingers" refers to the actual photo on the album cover. Is it me, or is the model on the front in a state of surgidity, or tumescence ? Did the cover come before the title ?

Won't speculate about the model on the cover but I'm guessing the title probably came before the photo(s). I read somewhere that manager Guy Stevens (same guy who named Motte The Hoople) came up with the title Sticky Fingers but never heard the story behind it.

It would be an interesting question for Mick and Keith...basically going through all the records and recalling how they came up and decided on the titles.

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2015 03:10

Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-
HEY!!! you really can buy that can... only 38 bucks!!!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 7, 2015 04:31

The Treacle album cover is only for special order right? I ordered just the standard deluxe 2 CD version, and that'll have the classic jeans cover?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2015 05:09

Mott's Mad Shadows album was to be called Sticky Fingers. Them and the Stones were both recording in Olympic at the same time in 1970. Andy Johns was engineering for Mott. At the end of Walkin' With A Mountain, Mott was improvising singing the words " Jumpin' Jack Flash". Jagger came into the studio and joined in. One way the story goes is that he traded his cameo for the title. The other way it goes is he just took it. Either way I don't think Mott was too bothered.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 7, 2015 05:14

treaclefingers
Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

We only need one TREACLE here. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 7, 2015 05:46

treaclefingers
Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

Ba-ZAMM!!
lmao... this place cracks me up... sears

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2015 16:50

What was it. Supposedly they were going to release two LPs in 1969 and originally LET IT BLEED was to be STICKY FINGERS. At least I recall reading that somewhere and I think Jagger is the one that said it.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 7, 2015 17:12

treaclefingers
Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

...You're just WAITING for opportunities like this, aren't you... smoking smiley

Date: May 7, 2015 19:05

RoughJusticeOnYa
treaclefingers
Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

...You're just WAITING for opportunities like this, aren't you... smoking smiley

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!

:P

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2015 20:10

Leonioid
RoughJusticeOnYa
treaclefingers
Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!

Have you people hacked the laptop camera in my bedroom? Quit living vicariously through me!

Date: May 7, 2015 20:14

treaclefingers
Leonioid
RoughJusticeOnYa
treaclefingers
Leonioid
Nikkei

EDIT-

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!

Have you people hacked the laptop camera in my bedroom? Quit living vicariously through me!

eh?

;)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 12, 2015 02:16

The Stones Live At Leeds

It’s March 1971 and the Rolling Stones are saying farewell to the UK in the only way that makes any sense – a 9 date tour. They’re leaving Britain because of the crippling tax regime that was in existence at the time and heading for the South of France, and of course ‘Exile’.

Unusually this tour was taking place ahead of the release of the band’s new album, Sticky Fingers. Unusually, because most bands would want their new release available in the shops when touring, but the Stones had to be out of the country before the end of the first week of April.

Sticky Fingers was still over a month away from reaching record stores, but this was no obstacle that prevented them from performing tracks from the album during these concerts; principle among them, ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Bitch’ and ‘Dead Flowers’. All three tracks along with the remainder of the Leeds concert are included as bonus tracks on the deluxe reissue of this Stones classic that is coming out this June.

The band were on exceptional form for these shows, Mick’s vocals are his menacing best and the interplay between Keith and Mick Taylor is both telepathic and full of dynamics. Charlie and Bill underpin everything with their trademark rock solid rhythm section. Bobby Keys and Jim Price had settled into their roles as the group’s resident horn section, and best of all Nicky Hopkins was playing piano with them onstage for the first time ever on an entire tour.

Hopkins shared a unique musical chemistry with each of the Stones and had worked with them on both Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. He’d briefly migrated to the West Coast to play with Quicksilver Messenger Service while Sticky Fingers was being recorded but had returned to London in early 1971 to add his piano to ‘Sway’. Watts still views “Nicky Hopkins (as) one of the prettiest players ever. And Mick Taylor was the same on guitar. And when those two worked together, the lines they played sometimes were just magnificent.”

Their show in the refectory of the University of Leeds, the same place as The Who recorded their now famous concert, was committed to tape by Glyn Johns and it was broadcast, or at least part of it was, in mid April on the BBC in a 60 minute special. It is now available in its entirety and it’s a privilege to hear the band at the top of their game.

Aside from their new tracks the band went back to Let it Bleed, their previous album for ‘Live With Me’, ‘Love In Vain’ and extended version of ‘Midnight Rambler’. There’s ‘Stray Cat Blues’ and ‘Street Fighting Man’ from Beggars Banquet, along with ‘Honky Tonk Woman’ and ‘Satisfaction’.

The Stones also pay homage to Chuck Berry including two of his classic cuts, ‘Little Queenie’ and ‘Let It Rock’, the latter was included on the b-side, along with ‘Sway’, of Brown Sugar, released as a single a week ahead of Sticky Fingers.

n the 1970s this concert was bootlegged on vinyl as “Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out”, and for many fans this is, up until now, the finest unissued live music by the band. Neither ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’ or ‘Live with Me’ were included on the BBC broadcast so both of these tracks have never been heard before.

Rampant, rock royalty at their very best, standby to be wowed…

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 20, 2015 11:34

for french fans from their Rolling Stone

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 20, 2015 11:44

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 20, 2015 12:48

Naturalust
Anybody know the story of the origin of the name "Sticky Fingers"? Is it some literal reference or some other reference like to Klein stealing RS money? Thanks.

peace

In the Uk, it's fairly old-fashioned slang that could mean a couple of things. Someone with sticky fingers is a thief/pickpocket, or, it may mean they're literally sticky for rather obvious sexual reasons. I would think it was unlikely the Stones were referring to having their fingers covered in treacle, as shown on the oddly appropriate Spanish cover from the Franco era.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 20, 2015 15:50

Father Ted
Naturalust

peace

In the Uk, it's fairly old-fashioned slang that could mean a couple of things. Someone with sticky fingers is a thief/pickpocket, or, it may mean they're literally sticky for rather obvious sexual reasons. I would think it was unlikely the Stones were referring to having their fingers covered in treacle, as shown on the oddly appropriate Spanish cover from the Franco era.

Interresting!!

Could be a thread by it's own: clearing the meaning of some Stones lines etc.

Me & my sister in the 70ies believed or had heard, that "Sticky Fingers" were a reference to the Cannabis leaves... for obvious reasons ...

True? Or false?

Date: May 20, 2015 18:30

waterrats
Father Ted
Naturalust

peace

Interresting!!

Could be a thread by it's own: clearing the meaning of some Stones lines etc.

Me & my sister in the 70ies believed or had heard, that "Sticky Fingers" were a reference to the Cannabis leaves... for obvious reasons ...

True? Or false?

True you believed it. Probably false it referred to the leaves, they aren't (generally) the sticky part of the plant. smoking smiley Another question which could have been answered on the Twitter session. A sex or drugs reference is probably a good guess. Kind of surprised they haven't been asked this one.

peace

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 20, 2015 19:21

pepganzo

An interesting read, those French articles, even quoting Taylor about I Got The Blues and mentioning Keith's declaration about Taylor's absence during this tour (inclusive the denial from the Taylor camp). All information seems pretty adequate as well. And nice pics for those who don't know French (though the British are half French by origin!)

Date: May 20, 2015 19:29

kleermaker
pepganzo

An interesting read, those French articles, even quoting Taylor about I Got The Blues and mentioning Keith's declaration about Taylor's absence during this tour (inclusive the denial from the Taylor camp). All information seems pretty adequate as well. And nice pics for those who don't know French (though the British are half French by origin!)

What is the Taylor quote about IGTB? What is the denial from the Taylor camp...that he is not sick? Thanks.

peace

Date: May 20, 2015 22:35

Naturalust
kleermaker
pepganzo

What is the Taylor quote about IGTB? What is the denial from the Taylor camp...that he is not sick? Thanks.

peace

About IGTB: "If Otis Redding or Ray Charles were still alive, then I would have no doubt that they would cover it."

About the Keith quote, it's the well known quote we already know: <"According to the latest news, he wasn't disposable. I haven't been engaged with it, but I 'know' from hearsay that he was ill." A representative of Taylor has declared that he wasn't ill, but that he wasn't invited for the (American) tour.>

Date: May 20, 2015 23:56

@Naturalust

Another interesting bit of text says this:

<It [Sticky Fingers] is a bit "the album of the two Micks", especially because Keith is busy 'plunging' into drugs and because his presence becomes more and more uncertain. Besides, in his biography 'Life' Keith finally evokes SF very few times (only two mentions, against a dozen for Exile), preferring to talk about - as for that period - business matters and drugs.>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 01:01 by kleermaker.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 21, 2015 00:26

That alternate cover does bring back wonderful memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 00:28 by nightskyman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2438
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home