Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Brief Summary of the Complainers vs. the Happy
Posted by: lougio ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:41

I saw my first Stones show in 1972. Since then I have seen multiple shows on every tour. The crap I put up with to get tickets and the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent over the years on plane tickets, hotels, show tickets, and all the other hassle's that come with a Stones concert gives me the right to complain if I don't like the set list. I just hope someone that has some influence with the Stones reads this stuff and does something about it. When I went to Newark to see the Stones last December I bought tickets for the first show so I wouldn't have to listen to all the "special guests" on the pay per view show. Mick Taylor is all the special guest I need, they just need to let him play more. All I want is the Stones to be the Stones they have always been.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:03

Overdo it show after show (best show ever, best version blah blah since...) is quite laughable. Not a surprise on a fan board Off course... I love the Stones but I just try to stay a little objective and realistic.

Criticize the band: nothing really serious... Just music no ?

This do not hamper what they are and what they were ... But sorry, you will never make me say or think that the Stones are better on stage today than in 1969, 1972 or 1995 ...

Longevity is one thing. Not the arguement.

Saw the band in 1995, that remains my best souvenir. Paris 98, Germany 2003, Paris 2007 (the worst), all those concerts have really disappointed me ((to varying degrees)... Lack of guitar, lack of riff. The point I love with the Stones, making them an unique and wonderful band. And I'm sorry, really. Too many floating and soft versions...

Lausanne 2007 was "a clearing" in some way. This will be my last Stones concert.

Excommunication ? smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 22:18 by roby.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:22

jazzbass
andrewt
stonesdan60
Munichhilton
Thank you for your input Dan.

I think I can deconstruct your claim with this...

The Stones were a recipe for a dish you absolutely loved.
Mick has switched out the salt and sugar.

You are proposing we continue to eat what used to be our favorite dish with a smile...even though it tastes like crap... Bring back the original recipe Dan, bring it back!!

When you taste the salt in your pudding or even worse, the sugar in your soup...it's all over now.

Lets hear it for a fruitful Perry free Keith solo career...

Thank you for disputing my comments in a polite manner. That's how it should be. However, if you want to use the taste comparison, one person might love hamburgers and another may not care for them. I freely admit that the 2013 Stones on stage are a far cry from what they were in 1969 - 1982. However, my "taste" is still satisfied because they sound good even if a bit slowed down, they still put on a good show, and they do sound like The Rolling Stones - just a tamer version. I'm just happy they're touring at their age.

Yeah but why pay Filet Mignon prices for a Big Mac?

Because you are older, wiser and much richer now than you were in 1972 and you can afford to. If not, you did something wrong along the way. My first car was $50, my last one was, well, let's just say it was a lot more than that.

I was five in 1972 but I was a pretty hip five year old let me tell ya...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:26

If you want to be really happy, you need to take it a giant step further - somehow manage to see the beauty and value in the RS's performance that they hadn't yet achieved when they were younger. Surely half a century of growing, living, suffering and loss, even for these jaded multi-millionaires, has added some new richness and depth and patina to their music. If you could somehow let go of your rigid expectations, you might be able to find it....

I have an elderly cat. When he was a little kitten, he was the most charming, delightful, adorable creature on earth. Now his kittenhood is long past. He is lean and stiff in his movements. Is he less beautiful now? No, quite the opposite, because every gesture and every look is laden with meaning for me, and reminds me of a lifetime of shared memories.

The RS will soon be gone. Make the most of their remaining time with us, and do try to take it further than endless futile comparisons with days gone by.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:32

UTUBE makes touring difficult these days. Hard core fans are bored with the set before they even get to the concerts. In 1966 bands played the same 40 minute show each night and people were delighted, It's unrealistic to expect a completely different show each night. To pin the blame on Mick is silly, he's getting what he can from a guitar lineup that seems a little slow on mastering fresh tunes. Still I'm thrilled with the tour so far!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:34

DoomandGloom
UTUBE makes touring difficult these days. Hard core fans are bored with the set before they even get to the concerts. In 1966 bands played the same 40 minute show each night and people were delighted

i was bored with the utubes in 1966, too, to be honest. i just didn't wanna say anything...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:39

andrewt
jazzbass
andrewt
stonesdan60
Munichhilton
Thank you for your input Dan.

I think I can deconstruct your claim with this...

The Stones were a recipe for a dish you absolutely loved.
Mick has switched out the salt and sugar.

You are proposing we continue to eat what used to be our favorite dish with a smile...even though it tastes like crap... Bring back the original recipe Dan, bring it back!!

When you taste the salt in your pudding or even worse, the sugar in your soup...it's all over now.

Lets hear it for a fruitful Perry free Keith solo career...

Thank you for disputing my comments in a polite manner. That's how it should be. However, if you want to use the taste comparison, one person might love hamburgers and another may not care for them. I freely admit that the 2013 Stones on stage are a far cry from what they were in 1969 - 1982. However, my "taste" is still satisfied because they sound good even if a bit slowed down, they still put on a good show, and they do sound like The Rolling Stones - just a tamer version. I'm just happy they're touring at their age.

Yeah but why pay Filet Mignon prices for a Big Mac?

Because you are older, wiser and much richer now than you were in 1972 and you can afford to. If not, you did something wrong along the way. My first car was $50, my last one was, well, let's just say it was a lot more than that.

I was five in 1972 but I was a pretty hip five year old let me tell ya...

Those were the days...you threw the best ragers I was ever at...That party in 73 with the pinata was off the hook dude...

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:07

its a no-win: you're either a brown nosing kissass or an ungrateful whiner

thumbs upRe: Brief Summary of the Complainers vs. the Happy
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 14, 2013 05:16

If you want to be really happy, you need to take it a giant step further - somehow manage to see the beauty and value in the RS's performance that they hadn't yet achieved when they were younger. Surely half a century of growing, living, suffering and loss, even for these jaded multi-millionaires, has added some new richness and depth and patina to their music. If you could somehow let go of your rigid expectations, you might be able to find it....

I have an elderly cat. When he was a little kitten, he was the most charming, delightful, adorable creature on earth. Now his kittenhood is long past. He is lean and stiff in his movements. Is he less beautiful now? No, quite the opposite, because every gesture and every look is laden with meaning for me, and reminds me of a lifetime of shared memories.

The RS will soon be gone. Make the most of their remaining time with us, and do try to take it further than endless futile comparisons with days gone by.

thumbs upsmileys with beersmileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:07

^^^ Yup.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:33

Good point about your kitty to cat evolution, Bliss!
Had one like that myself.

(But really, they're not *that* creaky!) cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 03:35 by angee.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:09

Bliss

Post of the month, maybe the year. Well said Bliss, spot on.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 15, 2013 05:11

I imagine a show with only whiners in attendance; the horror! I imagine when 2 whiners meet and whine to each in agreement; the horror. Optimistic fans are more fun to be with, have a couple of drinks talk about the stones. Defeatists and nay-sayers should hang out only with each others and eventually they will have a good reason to justify their negative attitude;themselves.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:18

Bliss

Very eloquently put, bliss.
I agree. I've got a 17 year old cat myself. I myself am nearly as elderly as The Rolling Stones. Neither the Stones or myself are young, beautiful and sexy anymore.
It's life and life only as Dylan said.
As far as the ticket prices go- yes, I am in the Tongue Pit tomorrow night. And yes, I certainly paid for it. I saved up a long time especially. There are cheaper tickets available for these concerts, for those who don't want to pay a lot.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:20

WindyHorses
Bliss

Very eloquently put, bliss.
I agree. I've got a 17 year old cat myself. I myself am nearly as elderly as The Rolling Stones. Neither the Stones or myself are young, beautiful and sexy anymore.
It's life and life only as Dylan said.
As far as the ticket prices go- yes, I am in the Tongue Pit tomorrow night. And yes, I certainly paid for it. I saved up a long time especially. There are cheaper tickets available for these concerts, for those who don't want to pay a lot.

You'll have a blast - enjoy! Here's to a great special guest - or none at all :-)

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:21

One thing I'd also like to say is that the so-called complainers here are very funny and I enjoy laughing at the stuff they post, so thank you.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:52

stonesdan60
OK - I suggest all the lengthy threads about complaints, bitchin' and moanin' be deleted as I can sum it up right here. Why the complainers bitch: They are in love with The Rolling Stones of, say- 1969 - 1982 in terms of live performances. They are enamored with how cool the Stones looked and sounded in their 20's and 30's and cannot accept the following facts which the happy fans are realistic enough to deal with:

The happy fans probably also love the 1969 - 1982 Stones when they were younger. The happy fans realize there does not exist a time machine to take us all back to 1972. Things change as people get older. The happy fans are thrilled that the Stones are still playing pretty damn good at age 70 in 2013. The happy fans are also willing to endure guests they might not love because they are getting ONE MORE CHANCE TO SEE THE LEGENDARY ROLLING F#@&G STONES! The complainers don't seem to realize how lucky we all are to see this band in the year 2013. They unrealistically seem to expect 70 year old musicians to play with same wild abandon they did in their 20's and 30's. There's no time machine. Have realistic expectation and you'll be much happier,

The tune on my cell plays Don't Worry Be Happy. Would be nice to just enjoy these concerts at this late date, be happy they can still perform & we can still participate. cool smiley

Date: May 15, 2013 09:57

What I don't get is this: If lots of people are happy with the shows, can't the complainers let them hold on to that feeling, without trying to persuade them into believe the shows are bad?

Most of the complainers haven't really been to the shows, I suspect...

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:01

DandelionPowderman
What I don't get is this: If lots of people are happy with the shows, can't the complainers let them hold on to that feeling, without trying to persuade them into believe the shows are bad?

complainers are usually chronic killjoys, i find. nuthin' ever seems to please.yawning smiley

Date: May 15, 2013 21:09

No complaining here. Thanks much to the Stones I got cheap $85 tickets for Vegas (and Philly 2) shows which I was not even planning on attending orginally due to high ticket prices. As far as Vegas is concerned IMHO the boys kicked major ass! I thought they played way better than the Newark shows which cost me major $$$ for decent seats. In Vegas I had $85 nosebleeds at the top of 203 section and enjoyed the show much more... Pepole can bitch all they want about setlists, Taylor not getting enough songs, special guest's (Although I thought Katie Perry was hot, hot, hot and a much better choice than Lady GaGa or Springsteen). All I am saying is the Stones are on fire better catch 'em while you can.

Still hoping for some fall U.S. stadium shows and MSG shows in late November or December...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:17

DandelionPowderman

we are under contract to work the entire tour. we are paid by the conversion. please don't take away our right to work.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:24

GRNRBITW
DandelionPowderman

we are under contract to work the entire tour. we are paid by the conversion. please don't take away our right to work.

Ahhh I wondered if you realized you were helping the stones' business by riling up their fans into a frenzy... Now I realize you were on the inside the whole time.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:31

sonomastone
GRNRBITW
DandelionPowderman

Ahhh I wondered if you realized you were helping the stones' business by riling up their fans into a frenzy... Now I realize you were on the inside the whole time.

Yes, a critic is there to point out all the things the audience missed when they were busy enjoying themselves (the wicked creatures) instead of paying proper attention to analysing the show and spotting the mistakes. He's only doing his job, poor man - if he said it was great every time he'd be fired on the spot.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:30

DandelionPowderman

Right on. I do my fair share of complaining but I have tickets for two gigs and will be enjoying them regardless of the setlist. I desperately want to be surprised by this tour. Even if there are no real surprises at either of the gigs I attend, I am thrilled to be going!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:01

flacnvinyl
DandelionPowderman

Right on. I do my fair share of complaining but I have tickets for two gigs and will be enjoying them regardless of the setlist. I desperately want to be surprised by this tour. Even if there are no real surprises at either of the gigs I attend, I am thrilled to be going!

That is a very good attitude you have...with proper diet and exercise you will live a long and rewarding life...

Date: May 15, 2013 23:10

You WILL have a goid time, Drake thumbs up

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:11

Will you be taping, Drake ?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:27

Not that they don't get me down sometimes or piss me off, but let's face it...this place would be pretty boring if it was only populated by the happy cheerleaders.

Some of the so called complainers have interesting perspectives and provoke spirited discussions. You can usually tell the difference between the people that have a thoughtful critical view of the Stones and those that just want to post mean, bitter comments.

I don't like the incessent whining either, sometimes it bothers me more than others and when it does, I usually just ignore it.

Pessimists have their place in the world, including stones land. drinking smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:38

Bard I agree completely! Every person I know (on here and locally) who has seen a show on this tour or 2012, has been thrilled. My only REAL concern is getting stuck in TERRIBLE seats with the lottery tickets. It would be my luck that we'd get shafted for BOTH gigs. Ha! We'll see...

Erik I am honestly not sure at this point. Considering how many people are recording the entire concert on their phones, and the stellar recordings that have come from the gigs so far on this tour, I think I might NOT record the gigs. Combine that with $85 seats and I might not even have something worth recording! Hopefully our seats end up like Kurt, on the side being blasted by the side PA.

HOWEVER... I am definitely taking my camera with me. And my camera is a hacked GH2 which a very solid yet compact zoom lens. If it happens to have a 64GB card in it, and I accidentally hit record at the beginning of the show, I might accidentally have the entire show in audio and video format... Would make a great souvenir!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:07

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home