Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Brief Summary of the Complainers vs. the Happy
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:14

latebloomer
Not that they don't get me down sometimes or piss me off, but let's face it...this place would be pretty boring if it was only populated by the happy cheerleaders.

wow. that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. but i guess the engagement isn't back on just yet?

Date: May 16, 2013 00:27

flacnvinyl
Bard I agree completely! Every person I know (on here and locally) who has seen a show on this tour or 2012, has been thrilled. My only REAL concern is getting stuck in TERRIBLE seats with the lottery tickets.

you have ALOT to learn about being a complainer. sigh. i just don't understand kids these days....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:29

GRNRBITW
flacnvinyl
Bard I agree completely! Every person I know (on here and locally) who has seen a show on this tour or 2012, has been thrilled. My only REAL concern is getting stuck in TERRIBLE seats with the lottery tickets.

you have ALOT to learn about being a complainer. sigh. i just don't understand kids these days....

I'm complaining right now that I can't figure out what "GRNRBITW" means.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 16, 2013 00:38

jamesfdouglas
GRNRBITW
flacnvinyl

i don't know, either. ask sam cutler...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:39

GRNRBITW
jamesfdouglas
GRNRBITW
flacnvinyl

Everything seems to be ready...is everybody ready?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 17, 2013 11:21

Rolling Hansie

That's ringtone on my cell. smileys with beer

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 17, 2013 11:55

[www.nwitimes.com]

Tim Shellberg Times Correspondent
Referring to the Rolling Stones as the “Mt. Rushmore of Rock and Roll” takes on more than one meaning, depending on your point of view.

For their most ardent fans, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood take on many a hosanna; rock royalty. Keepers of the musical flame. Popular music’s most enduring band. Pioneers.

But to those whose Stones fandom is casual, the Mt. Rushmore comparison applies. Like the beloved memorial, the Stones, to many, are an act you need only see live once, and only for the sake of being able to cross that particular live rock note off your list, bucket or otherwise.

Let’s be honest here; the Stones’ last triumph, “Some Girls,” is now 35 years old. Others will cite 1981’s “Tattoo You” as their last great front-to-back offering, yet “Tattoo” was a mixed collection of leftovers dating back nearly a decade, whereas “Girls” found the band struggling to stay relevant in the face of punk and disco, and succeeding in spades.

After struggling through the '80s, the Stones closed that decade out with a box office-breaking tour in support of “Steel Wheels” which, with hindsight, was nothing more than a musical end to justify a much greater financial means. Since then, the band continued to sell out arena and stadiums worldwide, and still on the backs of new music offerings that pale in comparison to their groundbreaking glory days from decades past (heck, the Stones know this as well; “Crossfire Hurricane,” their HBO-aired docu from last year, ends in the “Tattoo” era).

While it’s hard to argue crossing the 50th anniversary threshold, the Stones are doing so staying relatively loyal to the blueprint. Their new musical offerings this time consist of two lone songs included on “Grrrr,” their umpteenth multi-disc career overview.

And, as is the norm for the Stones, the cost of tickets for their latest go around are ridiculous, to say the least. At press time, the only tickets available for the Stones upcoming Chicago stops through Ticketmaster boast price tags, with taxes and fees, are an unjustifiable $469.64 and $622.95.

No typo. $469.64 and $622.95.

The Rolling Stones, 8 p.m. May 28, 31 and June 3, United Center, 1901 W. Madison, Chicago. $469.64, $622.95. FYI: (312) 455-4500, UNITEDCENTER.COM.

ON SALE NOW

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:48

GRNRBITW
jamesfdouglas
GRNRBITW
flacnvinyl

I think that is a greatest hint you could have given.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:29

That's the point, MUNICH! The Stones do not taste ( or play) like CRAP! Good post, Stonesdan. I confess to making a few comments myself about ticket pricing, which I believe is a valid complaint but as for how the Stones actually sound, I think it's a major miracle that they can pull it off as well as they do.

Date: May 17, 2013 19:31

mickschix
That's the point, MUNICH! The Stones do not taste ( or play) like CRAP! Good post, Stonesdan. I confess to making a few comments myself about ticket pricing, which I believe is a valid complaint but as for how the Stones actually sound, I think it's a major miracle that they can pull it off as well as they do.

i don't love you so much no more...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:32

GRNRBITW
mickschix

I feel dizzy

Date: May 17, 2013 19:38

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
mickschix

I feel dizzy

Tommy Roe?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:42

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
mickschix

I feel dizzy

Tommy Roe?

Miss Lizzy was here making a sandwich...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 21:04

some people do complain reasonably, others are perpetual whingers and unrealistic.

im not against the band hiring guest musicians every gig, it maybe they are trying to turn people who are fans of these musicians onto the stones, why else would a katy perry fan want to listen to them, now some might because they might now think its not so uncool to like the stones as such or that the stones are actually very good.

one of my main gripe about the band is not so much their perceived lack of output post dirtywork or their inability to reproduce the majic and versatility of past days, its more the way they have packaged that output into only 4 studio albums when in fact they have recorded and released around 100 songs including covers, live covers and outtakes. they could easily have repackaged this into 10 albums and would have created more interest from the public.

also the setlists, do they need to keep the same 17 songs every gig, they could easily rotate with so many other songs and play each warhorse every 2nd gig or every 3rd.

apart from that its just great to have the stones not only having released more songs in the past 2 or 3 years even though they are outtakes but they are still touring albeit for shorter periods of time. we have to remember they started this whole thing over 50 years ago.

hope we get another 10 years from them, nothing too big, the odd single and b -side release, opening vaults, brushing up and releasing outtakes from the past, and a few short tours followed by live dvd,s and cd,s, top it off with releasing old gigs from the past and we have plenty to see us all through to old age.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:29

buttons67
some people do complain reasonably, others are perpetual whingers and unrealistic.

im not against the band hiring guest musicians every gig, it maybe they are trying to turn people who are fans of these musicians onto the stones, why else would a katy perry fan want to listen to them, now some might because they might now think its not so uncool to like the stones as such or that the stones are actually very good.

one of my main gripe about the band is not so much their perceived lack of output post dirtywork or their inability to reproduce the majic and versatility of past days, its more the way they have packaged that output into only 4 studio albums when in fact they have recorded and released around 100 songs including covers, live covers and outtakes. they could easily have repackaged this into 10 albums and would have created more interest from the public.

also the setlists, do they need to keep the same 17 songs every gig, they could easily rotate with so many other songs and play each warhorse every 2nd gig or every 3rd.

apart from that its just great to have the stones not only having released more songs in the past 2 or 3 years even though they are outtakes but they are still touring albeit for shorter periods of time. we have to remember they started this whole thing over 50 years ago.

hope we get another 10 years from them, nothing too big, the odd single and b -side release, opening vaults, brushing up and releasing outtakes from the past, and a few short tours followed by live dvd,s and cd,s, top it off with releasing old gigs from the past and we have plenty to see us all through to old age.

so which are you, a reasonable complainer or perpetual whinger?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:38

buttons67

Yes! To me, "Satisfaction" may well be the only indispensable tune among those...for the encore.
Otherwise rotate. Okay, rotate that one too. thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 18, 2013 03:37

jamesfdouglas
GRNRBITW
flacnvinyl

GRNRBITW - it's the reason we're all here.
Can't buy into OP's viewpoint. Although presented in a nice, laid out manner there's a big flaw: just about all contemporaries of the Stones who are out there beating the stage - McCartney, Neil Young, Dylan don't rip their fans off re. ticket prices, and they all deliver aDventurous setlists.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2013 03:40

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
mickschix

I feel dizzy

Tommy Roe?

Miss Lizzy was here making a sandwich...

No food posts!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 03:58

I've been around many band message boards, and the behavior on all of them, including this one, is the same. The old "Complainers vs Non-Complainers" has been going on for AGES. The thing that makes it truly funny to watch is the fact that nobody seems to realize there aren't 2 sides. There aren't complainers and those that don't. The people bitching about "complainers" are just complainers who are currently happy with what they're getting. As soon as they don't like something, they'll be a complainer. And vice versa. As soon as one of these complainers become satisfied by whatever (they get cheap tickets, an album they like, whatever) they'll be starting threads telling everybody to stop complaining.

It also seems that on all these boards there are tons more complaints about people complaining than actual complaints to begin with.

Date: May 18, 2013 04:04

NoCode0680
I've been around many band message boards, and the behavior on all of them, including this one, is the same. The old "Complainers vs Non-Complainers" has been going on for AGES. The thing that makes it truly funny to watch is the fact that nobody seems to realize there aren't 2 sides. There aren't complainers and those that don't. The people bitching about "complainers" are just complainers who are currently happy with what they're getting. As soon as they don't like something, they'll be a complainer. And vice versa. As soon as one of these complainers become satisfied by whatever (they get cheap tickets, an album they like, whatever) they'll be starting threads telling everybody to stop complaining.

It also seems that on all these boards there are tons more complaints about people complaining than actual complaints to begin with.
There needs to be a complaints definition office. The CDO would classify actual, legal complaints versus bootleg complaints; i.e.a B/C is just a complaint about a legal complaint.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 18, 2013 04:42

roby
[www.nwitimes.com]

Tim Shellberg Times Correspondent
Referring to the Rolling Stones as the “Mt. Rushmore of Rock and Roll” takes on more than one meaning, depending on your point of view.

For their most ardent fans, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood take on many a hosanna; rock royalty. Keepers of the musical flame. Popular music’s most enduring band. Pioneers.

But to those whose Stones fandom is casual, the Mt. Rushmore comparison applies. Like the beloved memorial, the Stones, to many, are an act you need only see live once, and only for the sake of being able to cross that particular live rock note off your list, bucket or otherwise.

Let’s be honest here; the Stones’ last triumph, “Some Girls,” is now 35 years old. Others will cite 1981’s “Tattoo You” as their last great front-to-back offering, yet “Tattoo” was a mixed collection of leftovers dating back nearly a decade, whereas “Girls” found the band struggling to stay relevant in the face of punk and disco, and succeeding in spades.

After struggling through the '80s, the Stones closed that decade out with a box office-breaking tour in support of “Steel Wheels” which, with hindsight, was nothing more than a musical end to justify a much greater financial means. Since then, the band continued to sell out arena and stadiums worldwide, and still on the backs of new music offerings that pale in comparison to their groundbreaking glory days from decades past (heck, the Stones know this as well; “Crossfire Hurricane,” their HBO-aired docu from last year, ends in the “Tattoo” era).

While it’s hard to argue crossing the 50th anniversary threshold, the Stones are doing so staying relatively loyal to the blueprint. Their new musical offerings this time consist of two lone songs included on “Grrrr,” their umpteenth multi-disc career overview.

And, as is the norm for the Stones, the cost of tickets for their latest go around are ridiculous, to say the least. At press time, the only tickets available for the Stones upcoming Chicago stops through Ticketmaster boast price tags, with taxes and fees, are an unjustifiable $469.64 and $622.95.

No typo. $469.64 and $622.95.

The Rolling Stones, 8 p.m. May 28, 31 and June 3, United Center, 1901 W. Madison, Chicago. $469.64, $622.95. FYI: (312) 455-4500, UNITEDCENTER.COM.

ON SALE NOW

Exactly. UNJUSTIFIABLE.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 18, 2013 04:47

Not true, nocode.
We're not happy with a lot of things, but are accepting that which is mainly out of our control.

It's a glass half full thing--they are on tour again.

Wait, maybe there are many shades of gray from lightest to darkest and we're all in there somewhere,
happy + sad. Hmm, sounds like life.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 04:49 by angee.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:00

angee
Not true, nocode.
We're not happy with a lot of things, but are accepting that which is mainly out of our control.

It's a glass half full thing--they are on tour again.

Wait, maybe there are many shades of gray from lightest to darkest and we're all in there somewhere,
happy + sad. Hmm, sounds like life.

Well, it was a general statement, if it doesn't apply to you personally that's cool. But it does apply to this board in general. It was mainly about the people involved in the complaining/happy argument. For instance, if somebody is complaining about complainers, then they're not accepting that which is out of their control anymore than the ones actually complaining about the band.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:06

So you are a family man... You've been going to a neighborhood bar for decades.. oh say 5 decades... The folks running it are your friends and you go regularly to hangout. You land a big client... go celebrate at the bar! Superbowl is on? go watch it with friends at the bar!

Suddenly one day everything changes.. The owner of the bar decides that beers no longer cost $5. Now they cost $600.. EACH....

EACH. INDIVIDUAL. BEER. SIX. HUNDRED. DOLLARS.

So you say 'screw those guys!' no way am I paying $600 for a beer! What do your friends say... "Well its all relative. If you don't want to enjoy $600 beers with us, then don't. Stay at home. Its all relative!"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:08

stonesdan60
OK - I suggest all the lengthy threads about complaints, bitchin' and moanin' be deleted as I can sum it up right here. Why the complainers bitch: They are in love with The Rolling Stones of, say- 1969 - 1982 in terms of live performances. They are enamored with how cool the Stones looked and sounded in their 20's and 30's and cannot accept the following facts which the happy fans are realistic enough to deal with:

The happy fans probably also love the 1969 - 1982 Stones when they were younger. The happy fans realize there does not exist a time machine to take us all back to 1972. Things change as people get older. The happy fans are thrilled that the Stones are still playing pretty damn good at age 70 in 2013. The happy fans are also willing to endure guests they might not love because they are getting ONE MORE CHANCE TO SEE THE LEGENDARY ROLLING F#@&G STONES! The complainers don't seem to realize how lucky we all are to see this band in the year 2013. They unrealistically seem to expect 70 year old musicians to play with same wild abandon they did in their 20's and 30's. There's no time machine. Have realistic expectation and you'll be much happier,

There are those that think the Stones of the year 2013 are going to do something equal to something they did in the year 1968, in the year 1969, in the year 1971, in the year 1972 and a few other 'in the year' years.

The LPs have not been classic. OK fine. The performances have gotten more and more expensive over the years to witness and what? They are not anywhere near as good as they used to be.

That's probably a big issue with a lot of people.

I'd probably pay $85 to see them on this tour but I won't. Hell, I paid $50 in 1994 to see 'em. Sure, it was the Stones of 1994 and not (enter way previous year here). It was probably too much money to hear rather tepid versions of Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction along with Love Is Strong, You Go Me Rocking, Sparks Will Fly, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo and a few others while getting sonic glimpses of what they were capable of (Shattered, Not Fade Away, Out Of Tears, Tumbling Dice, Monkey Man.

So not the end of the world.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:40

Some people are just grumpy old farts who love to bitch, moan and groan about everything.....
and
Some people understand it is just music, good time, rock and roll music,
and it doesnt need to be bitched about.... moaned about.... or groaned about.

As if incessantly complaining about The Stones or bitching about tickets prices(after they passed out $85.00tickets) or how some grumpy grumps think The Stones havent made a good album in 30 years or how much better Taylordorks think Taylor is... or whining about any of it. TIP- All the whining in the world aint gonna change a thing the Stones do.

Maybe what the whiners and complainers need to is, if they hate this band so much, is they need to just stop thinking about it. Maybe they need go find a nice quiet peaceful internet board which talks about about how good things were in high school back in 1969-72, maybe glorydays.com is the place for the complainers.... or maybe they should find a quiet board disussing boats and/or planes.... or maybe discussing pills for the elderly..... or how to get unconstipated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 05:54 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 18, 2013 06:19

If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust?
Would it help to ease the pain? Ease your brain?

If I could dig down deep in my heart
Feelings would flood on the page
Would it satisfy you? Would it slide on by you?
Would you think the boy's insane? He's insane

Some people want it all

Date: May 18, 2013 17:39

Max'sKansasCity
Maybe what the whiners and complainers need to is, if they hate this band so much, is they need to just stop thinking about it. Maybe they need go find a nice quiet peaceful internet board which talks about about how good things were in high school back in 1969-72, maybe glorydays.com is the place for the complainers.... or maybe they should find a quiet board disussing boats and/or planes.... or maybe discussing pills for the elderly..... or how to get unconstipated.

what fun would that be? no - this is much more fun. especially when it causes maxy to get riled up. i live for that.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 18, 2013 18:15

jamesfdouglas
I can't figure out what "GRNRBITW" means.

You're joking, right ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 18, 2013 18:19

Rolling Hansie
jamesfdouglas
I can't figure out what "GRNRBITW" means.

You're joking, right ?

it's the dialect that throws some folks. the accent is on the second syllable.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home