Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: San Jose May 8 Stones show live updates
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:19

Rocky Dijon
I just watched the video and was waiting to hear the difference and then it hits you square between the eyes. Having seen dozens of versions of this song since STEEL WHEELS the immediate recognition is that Ronnie is free to bounce off Taylor in the lead up to the solo like I haven't seen or heard him do ever before. Largely Keith just keeps the riff going and Ronnie has little to add to the song. Here Keith holds down the main riff and the soloing makes a great improvement over the imitation Stax horns and overdone backing vocals that handled the melody line on previous tours. No one can claim Taylor was too loud or showboating. Instead you've got the perfect example of what a three-guitar band can be at this stage in their career. I'm not suggesting every song, but every song that Taylor played on in the past certainly would benefit from his appearance. What a joy that was to watch. Not taking away from Clapton or Beck or any of the other guitarists who have shared the stage on this tour, but Taylor is able to mesh with Keith and Ronnie's sound instead of seeming like a Guest Appearance. This is really the ideal band if they only build upon this.
Taylor is playing it cool but he will spank these boys before this tour is done. All in the name of Rock'n'Roll.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:19

Rocky Dijon
I just watched the video and was waiting to hear the difference and then it hits you square between the eyes. Having seen dozens of versions of this song since STEEL WHEELS the immediate recognition is that Ronnie is free to bounce off Taylor in the lead up to the solo like I haven't seen or heard him do ever before. Largely Keith just keeps the riff going and Ronnie has little to add to the song. Here Keith holds down the main riff and the soloing makes a great improvement over the imitation Stax horns and overdone backing vocals that handled the melody line on previous tours. No one can claim Taylor was too loud or showboating. Instead you've got the perfect example of what a three-guitar band can be at this stage in their career. I'm not suggesting every song, but every song that Taylor played on in the past certainly would benefit from his appearance. What a joy that was to watch. Not taking away from Clapton or Beck or any of the other guitarists who have shared the stage on this tour, but Taylor is able to mesh with Keith and Ronnie's sound instead of seeming like a Guest Appearance. This is really the ideal band if they only build upon this.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up Thank you Mr. Dijon

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:24

GravityBoy
MT is looking quite healthy.

Yes! That's one of the bigger surprises for me. I expected him to play well, not look well. Good for him, even if Mick forced the issue.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:28

Thanks for "SATISFACTION"!

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:57

hurray!!!!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:58

Oh, man, I wish I was there! Let It Bleed is one of my favourites, it's on my wish list, and I love Bonnie Raitt! AND John Fogarty! What a great show, I hope everyone there had a blast! What, oh WHAT will they do in Toronto, who will they bring in??? Am getting giddy!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:18

serious stuff in san jose

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:24

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:26

No Expectations was a beauty...Satisfaction was exciting again...nice

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:28

MR sounds really nasty.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:32

San Jose recording is now AVAILABLE ! Details here : [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:00

re Bonnie Raitt... is this the first time a woman has ever played guitar on stage with the Stones... I know she sang with them before but don't think she played...

Posted by: bigpond ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:15

roundnround
re Bonnie Raitt... is this the first time a woman has ever played guitar on stage with the Stones... I know she sang with them before but don't think she played...

? Cheryl Crow possibly?....not sure if she had a guitar on-stage

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:22

triceratops
sonomastone
meanwhile, somewhere in the english countryside....

Super LOL >>> I needed a laugh and some humor this morning. ThanX mucho.

who is that matronly looking woman anyway?

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:28

flacnvinyl
The Mez
Heard It Through The Grapevine (Fogerty) & No expectations (Raitt) my guess... Vote must be rigged, like when they had that sax player backstage when Waiting On A friend (97 was it??) was picked by the fans hmmm? Hey both these songs would be great tonite no complaints just sayin MEZ

That was my first Stones concert... I was 14 years old. So pumped to hear Star Star (the leading web vote) and Little Queenie on the bstage. I got NEITHER. Waiting On A Friend... I hate that song. SUCKED. Major let down. Yes, very rigged.

I voted for Whip, but their selection was very limited this time.

Bout what I would expect from a 14 year old California foreskin deprived moron.

Date: May 10, 2013 03:33

flacnvinyl
I was wondering the same thing about Twitter. The intern is slacking off! Or bored with the last half of the setlist! Can't wait to hear Let It Bleed! Still hoping for Heard It Through The Grapevine and Little Queenie in Chicago!

Isn't it past your bedtime?

Date: May 10, 2013 03:40

sonomastone
No Expectations
Woz
Keith fatigue? Are you guys high? I thought Keith played way better tonight than in Oakland. Not even close. Very hot show tonight.

I also thought Keith was far superior tonight than in Oakland. And Fogerty ROCKED! Very hot show indeed.

were you sitting in roughly the same place? i though keith was incredible in oakland.

At the Newark II show Taylor looked Ecstatic, but last night he was on another level entirely. Great! See you again in Philly if not before.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:48

Gerda
Thanks for all the great reports of the California shows, they definitely raised my spirit after all that doom and gloom over ticket pricing etc. I wish I could be there. Can't wait for London 6th July, and I don't regret I was one of the crazy ones who bought the expensive hospitality ticket on presale , although I really don't need either a massage or a tattoo on this occasion. Cheers from Vienna Austria :-)

Have a great time Gerda, should be one incredible show for sure. Give us a recap if you get the chance.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:52

Lol, what was Keith doing at the start of Rambler? They had to wait quite a bit for him smiling smiley

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:59

I can't wipe that huge smile off my face from seeing the two pictures of the Stones with MT, pure joy! Last night sounds like a truly excellent show, both guest artists fit perfectly, pure magic. I loved Bonnie Raitt when she played with the Stones at Dodger Stadium in 2006, last night was equally good. Who would have thought I'd actually be jonesing for a video of 'Satisfaction' these days, MT put the old warhorse over the top last night!

I hope the Stones are listening to the praises and let MT play on more songs as the tour goes on!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 10, 2013 04:38

Munichhilton

Is that a Rhino's butt on Ron Wood's chest?

Yes. Ronnie is wearing Rhino shirts at every show. And Keith has got two mirrored tigers on his jacket, at least in San Jose. Also, Keith is having Stones tongues on his shoes, even at the Rolling Stone magazine photo session, as well as on stage. They are all in a great shape, and Ronnie's got the greatest lookimng shoes by the way. This was the fashion report for today on Radio Stones.

Bjornulf

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 10, 2013 04:53

roundnround

She's also older, can play guitar, knew the material and is not fashion (if one can call it that) obsessed like GaGa and Stefani. Not some pretty young thing though once she was.

Florence Welch was good too.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:56

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
roby
Another Great BV pic.

Is that a Rhino's butt on Ron Wood's chest?

hmmm Munich...didn't realize you were a bit of an assman.

its one of his paintings isnt it?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 10, 2013 06:02

Just to let you know that San Jose outpassed Oakland by far. Both pit experiences were tremendous. We had first row right in front of Ronnie at both Shows. Took about 900 shots in Oakland and 600 in San Jose. Still don't know how to get them into this page.
See you in Vegas on Saturday, We're just on our way to Death Valley.
Would love to give more reports, but the Shows go on and time for the Internet is Little.
Anyway I do not regret any Cent so far that I have come to California and see These Shows with marvellous guests.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 10, 2013 06:09

triceratops
roundnround

She's also older, can play guitar, knew the material and is not fashion (if one can call it that) obsessed like GaGa and Stefani. Not some pretty young thing though once she was.

Florence Welch was good too.
Bonnie and John are the kind of guests they need. Real stars who can inspire them rather than be intimidated. 50 plus and from time to time they still need to be reminded how to jam

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 08:14

Hey Torontogirl! are you going May 25th or June 6? Stones love TO so I'm excited for whatever they have in mind! Hope some more MT & definitely let it bleed and Sway! Cheers, Somegirl66. We are flying across Canada for May 25th show, sitting in SECT 108, row 19. We'll be the ones holding up the banner (between songs) that says ROLLING STONES ROCK VANCOUVER ISLAND GIRLS!!! Shame they didn't put Van or Seattle on the map and if they do, too late now! "If Mohammed won't come to the mountains/westcoast, then the mountains/westcoast shall come come to him"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 10, 2013 09:10

bv
Mick Taylor was out in the rear of the stage already halfway into JJF. I could see him with his guitar dancing and smiling behind Charlie almost all through JJF. Then as JJF ended, he did actually lay down on his back, with the guitar strapped, just behind Charlie. Typically Mick Taylor. I have seen him do the same on stage, even while playing. Then he is getting up, sitting right next to Charlie, and walks up front of the stage to do Satisfaction with the rest of the band. He is "house warm" by now... The San Jose show was great!

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: May 10, 2013 09:43

Just got home after a 13 hour drive from San Jose Back to The Grand Canyon which is where I hang my hat...I haven't read many of the previous posts so forgive any redundancies...I had the $85 tix I purchased when they first went on sale...my friend and I were about the 10th group of two's waiting in line at the designated area...after we were put in line for the beginning of the process we were given our tickets...very random process...just a large box filled with envelopes...after your name was found on the main list you were just handed the front envelope, no rhyme or reason to the process...our's were for section 210, row 16...not bad since it's a smallish arena but not the seats we were dreaming of on the ride up...but what got me was that the two folks after us were given their envelope and then some suit said "Oh, you're an upgrade" and were given the pit pass wristbands...I asked the two if there was anything special on or in their envelope and they showed me that their's was exactly the same as everyone elses...after a couple of minutes we saw another pair of pit passes awarded...we were moved to another holding area outside the arena and in speaking with each other (about 50 of us or so) we pretty much determined that we were pretty much all seated in sections 205 to 210...Hmmm, and we were the first ones in line...luckily we met with some friends who had purchased seats for a $124 each that morning (I think the tickets actually said $425 or so on them) ...they were in section 118 which was exactly to the right side of the stage...they were in row 14 so we sat with them thinking we'd go to our section when it got closer to show time...well it soon became apparent that there were plenty of empty seats in the lower rows and we all ended up in row 3 seats 4 - 8 or so...excellent views and sound and yes it was a rocking show!!! to see Mick Taylor actually bounce around during Midnight Rambler was incredible and he was on fire...the choir was beautiful...good to see Bonnie and her slide...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 10:01 by rovalle.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 10:23

Taylor wants his Ampeg / monitor volume cracked up, I start to like his playing again. He's getting better.cool smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 10, 2013 11:55

Green Lady
bv
Mick Taylor was out in the rear of the stage already halfway into JJF. I could see him with his guitar dancing and smiling behind Charlie almost all through JJF. Then as JJF ended, he did actually lay down on his back, with the guitar strapped, just behind Charlie. Typically Mick Taylor. I have seen him do the same on stage, even while playing. Then he is getting up, sitting right next to Charlie, and walks up front of the stage to do Satisfaction with the rest of the band. He is "house warm" by now... The San Jose show was great!

Thanks for posting Green Lady.
Nice to see those little glimpses of MT backsage. smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home