Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick & Keith Interaction at Staples & Oakland
Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 22:54

For those of you who were at Staples and Oakland, how was the interaction between Mick and Keith? Non-existent like at the 2012 shows or better?

Re: Mick & Keith Interaction at Staples & Oakland
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 7, 2013 23:36

Barely acknowledging each other. Coming together when they had to. On this tour Mick seems as physically distant from the others as possible. There used to be a three man front line, now it's a one man front line.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 7, 2013 23:42

24FPS
Barely acknowledging each other. Coming together when they had to. On this tour Mick seems as physically distant from the others as possible. There used to be a three man front line, now it's a one man front line.

I agree. In fact they were both very warm to *everyone* on stage and in the audience *except* one another. It was very noticeable.

however, they did have some great interaction at the end on satisfaction. i especially liked how near the ned of the song mick got up in keith's guitar and started singing "gimme gimme gimme gimme" while keith played.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 8, 2013 00:38

I saw Keith singing "the last time" chorus with Mick in L.A..

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 8, 2013 00:47

So sad.sad smiley

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 8, 2013 00:53

So true.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 00:54

Really sad to hear. Thanks for answering. Could they really need the money so bad?? Why do it if they can't even acknowledge each other anymore. And you have Mick clearly going out of his way in the RS article to make sure everyone knows Keith means nothing more to him than just somebody he works with whom he has no affection for and would never consider to be like family.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 8, 2013 01:03

Not a surprise... They have their own dressing room since 25 years ... They are never (or almost) together out of stage...

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: May 8, 2013 01:13

Mick and Keith ran into each other out on the tongue a couple times in oakland, it was cool during satisfaction keith was soloing and mick was yelling satisfaction. There were other occasional glances and smiles, but they didnt share the mic for anything.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2013 01:44

Was it the Some Girls tour where the distance started? You think Mick was fed up with Keith's junkiedom and how Keith's bust endangered the band? Mick seemed to have lost a lot of the feeling that he and Keith were in this together. I really don't think their relationship survived the 70s.

Date: May 8, 2013 01:48

24FPS
Was it the Some Girls tour where the distance started? You think Mick was fed up with Keith's junkiedom and how Keith's bust endangered the band? Mick seemed to have lost a lot of the feeling that he and Keith were in this together. I really don't think their relationship survived the 70s.

or was it mick marrying bianca? or doing anita? or one too many times of keith showing up to a concert in '81 too obliterated to play? or keith mocking mick's solo efforts in the 80s? like most relationships over a long period of time, it's probably not one thing, just a huge pile of things that eventually you can't get past.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 8, 2013 01:51

Maybe at Hyde Park, the significance of the location will thaw them a bit. It IS a shame...and I wonder if they know how it bothers us. We kind of take it personally, like a feud in our family that we can't mediate.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2013 01:52

The todger comment certainly didn't help matters even if Keith did apologize.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:05

While we're busy pointing out what Mick said in the new issue of RS; Keith compares apologizing to Mick as saying anything to get what you want like lying to your mother in the same interview.

I think it's safe to say their very complicated relationship has probably seen one crack too many. Not enough to stop performing together, but enough to stop them from functioning like they used to. As always, I'll be happy to be proved wrong with these guys.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:09

If there was such a huge gulf between Mick and Keith, Waits would not have been onstage. Besides, members in every big band in world all have separate dressing rooms.Like Sonny Terry one said when Brownie McGee left him in a dressing, someone said "Hey, Sonny, Brownie just left". Sonny said, "We don't ride together"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:12

Delta
If there was such a huge gulf between Mick and Keith, Waits would not have been onstage. Besides, members in every big band in world all have separate dressing rooms.Like Sonny Terry one said when Brownie McGee left him in a dressing, someone said "Hey, Sonny, Brownie just left". Sonny said, "We don't ride together"

Nor did they play together (at least at the end). I saw them open for Muddy waters. Their stools were placed as far apart on opposite ends of the stage as it was possible to be. For 90% of their set Brownie McGee played solo, hooted and hollered, got the audience worked up, while Sonny sat there and did absolutely nothing. Once Brownie had left the stage, Sonny started wailing the harmonica and put on his own amazing show. Strangest thing I have ever seen.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:41

How exactly do you guys want Mick and Keith to interact on stage? Do you want to see them blow kisses at each other? Do you want Mick on his knees simulating oral sex while Keith solos? Do you want them to highfive each other after each song?

What do you want?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 02:41 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:44

GumbootCloggeroo
How exactly do you guys want Mick and Keith to interact on stage? Do you want to see them blow kisses at each other? Do you want Mick on his knees simulating oral sex while Keith solos? Do you want them to highfive each other after each song?

What do you want?

Couldn't agree more, why over analyse everything!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:48

Maybe next time we should get involved in the contractual obligations...foolishly we just sat by and let them do it again...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:51

Nasty Habits
GumbootCloggeroo

What do you want?

Couldn't agree more, why over analyse everything!

I always felt that people who getting all blushy when these two old men share a mic are secretly hoping they'll 'finally kiss'??

Mmmm... (smooch, smack, lick)...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:53

GumbootCloggeroo

What do you want?

Munichhilton makes an excellent point. As for Gumboot's remark, I take it you don't know the Melbourne 1988 show where Mick and Bernard get into an onstage argument over who should suck whose dick during "Sex Machine?" For once, I'm not kidding.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:07

Rocky Dijon
GumbootCloggeroo

What do you want?

Munichhilton makes an excellent point. As for Gumboot's remark, I take it you don't know the Melbourne 1988 show where Mick and Bernard get into an onstage argument over who should suck whose dick during "Sex Machine?" For once, I'm not kidding.

I don't go to Stones gigs to watch a live sex show, there's Amsterdam for that! The music itself is sex enough for me, that's what I get off on. Let's face it it's not 1963, 1973 so on and so on. Can we stop the talk about wigs, who's better than who, Taylor or Wood and just accept the fact that we still have them and right now they're on fire for the fist time since 81/82 in my opinion and yes I've been to see every tour since Voodoo and I was at Twickenham 2003 4 flicks dvd show and Milan in 2006 but can't wait until Hyde park. It's back to basics honest Rock 'N' Roll and that for me is good enough! At least they're living legends and not an embarrassment like some of the bands that come back out of the woodwork to reform.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: May 8, 2013 03:17

Nasty Habits
Rocky Dijon
GumbootCloggeroo

What do you want?

I don't go to Stones gigs to watch a live sex show, there's Amsterdam for that! The music itself is sex enough for me, that's what I get off on. Let's face it it's not 1963, 1973 so on and so on. Can we stop the talk about wigs, who's better than who, Taylor or Wood and just accept the fact that we still have them and right now they're on fire for the fist time since 81/82 in my opinion and yes I've been to see every tour since Voodoo and I was at Twickenham 2003 4 flicks dvd show and Milan in 2006 but can't wait until Hyde park. It's back to basics honest Rock 'N' Roll and that for me is good enough! At least they're living legends and not an embarrassment like some of the bands that come back out of the woodwork to reform.

Yes, They really are on fire. After taking a few days to reflect I think Oakland was the best live show I've ever seen.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:17

Oh for heaven's sake, no one is asking for them to have sex together, onstage or off. Hoping that the two of them have some affection and regard for each other goes along with the desire for them to reconnect and do a great album together again.

Besides, it appeals to the very human longing for a romantic conclusion to the epic story of The Rolling Stones. You see it in all the articles about the two of them, it's not just the fans here. Our two heroes, having conquered the world stage one last time, reconcile and ride off into the sunset together, arm in arm, singing sweet virginia together...grinning smiley

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 8, 2013 04:24

latebloomer
Oh for heaven's sake, no one is asking for them to have sex together, onstage or off. Hoping that the two of them have some affection and regard for each other goes along with the desire for them to reconnect and do a great album together again.

Besides, it appeals to the very human longing for a romantic conclusion to the epic story of The Rolling Stones. You see it in all the articles about the two of them, it's not just the fans here. Our two heroes, having conquered the world stage one last time, reconcile and ride off into the sunset together, arm in arm, singing sweet virginia together...grinning smiley

Exactly...frankly there has been a Kremlinology type intrigue around them since 1981...I was always quite aware of the two of them and their relationship on stage...were they getting along etc...that was 32 years ago and the fans I knew and hung out with were very caught up in how those two were getting along (or perceived to be) from our decidely outsider status.

Another thing that some people who probably were not of age when Tony Sanchez' book came out - Tony was absolutely clear that Mick and Keith were having real troubles in their relationship all the back to the European Tour in 1973 where that whole incident with Anita completely losing her shit (and jealousy of Bianca) at Mick's birthday party...and in the latter pages of his book the '76 European Tour when he was pretty much getting cut off by Keith...he was absolute is his assessment of the relationship between Mick and Keith as irreparable - that Keith and Mick were so far apart that he didn't see it lasting...of course on that count he was quite wrong but I know a lot of us who read that book real time were shocked - particularly - with the depths of Keith's problems at that time.

So the relationship between the two really has been the hallmark of the band for quite a long time and its perceived quality at any point in time has held interest duly so.

Date: May 8, 2013 04:29

bigbitch
latebloomer

Exactly...frankly there has been a Kremlinology type intrigue around them since 1981...I was always quite aware of the two of them and their relationship on stage...were they getting along etc...that was 32 years ago and the fans I knew and hung out with were very caught up in how those two were getting along (or perceived to be) from our decidely outsider status.

Another thing that some people who probably were not of age when Tony Sanchez' book came out - Tony was absolutely clear that Mick and Keith were having real troubles in their relationship all the back to the European Tour in 1973 where that whole incident with Anita completely losing her shit (and jealousy of Bianca) at Mick's birthday party...and in the latter pages of his book the '76 European Tour when he was pretty much getting cut off by Keith...he was absolute is his assessment of the relationship between Mick and Keith as irreparable - that Keith and Mick were so far apart that he didn't see it lasting...of course on that count he was quite wrong but I know a lot of us who read that book real time were shocked - particularly - with the depths of Keith's problems at that time.

So the relationship between the two really has been the hallmark of the band for quite a long time and its perceived quality at any point in time has held interest duly so.

Makes for great press (and attention... And marketing....)
:-)

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 06:22

On the tongue in LA.....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 8, 2013 07:17

I agree with most. I'd like to see something. Some encouraging "yeah, Keith!"s or some arms around each other. I'm a big Bruce Springsteen fan, and I love how obviously connected you can see the band is. He's smiling, sharing the mic with them, joking around, calling out to them. You knew they genuinely appreciated each other on stage, and its very likely they didn't hang out much off stage. But on stage they enjoyed playing together and know the fans like to see them interact and get a kick out of each other.

I think you can and can't take Jagger's actions personally. Mick NEEDS to run around the stage, and they have a big stage, so he doesn't have much time to stay back with the rest of the guys without soon needing to move around again. With him though, it seems he really doesn't want to be near Keith. He yells "gimme, gimme, gimme" at Keith's guitar, and then as soon as Keith starts moving up closer, Jagger moves away. I don't think its over analyzing to say its kind of noticeable.

And I think what makes it worse, in my eyes, is that Keith WANTS to be a little closer. He wants to put his arm around him on stage, he wants to sing some of the choruses, he wants to feed off Mick's energy. And it seems Mick wants the distance. I don't need or want them to kiss, but they are old and as someone young, I enjoy seeing these old guys who clearly just like to spend time with each other, at least on stage. Even with the Who, you see Pete and Roger joking around and carrying on on stage. Its just the two of them now, and its nice for a fan to see "yeah, they like each other." With the Stones, it really does feel like an obligation for the two to get close and its just a little annoying. I'd like to at least see Jagger give Keith a pat on the back once or twice, or act as jokingly and friendly as he does towards Ronnie and Charlie.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:11

I have no idea where all this "see them kissing" stuff came from.
It is very sad being a fan of both men (and all four, for that matter) and see
them far far apart, when we know they were close in the beginning.
I am sure they have both hurt each other.
But looking at the new videos, I can easily see the distance that others report here. I prefer to watch old videos when you can see them smiling and laughing together. They were friends. I miss that.

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:21

Mick was Keith's best man at his wedding in 1983. Google Mick and keith moment in shine a light, images, and there's some really sweet ones. They seemed pretty close again..I think Keith's book was the final straw for Mick and that while he has forgiven keith, he can't forget..not just the todger stuff but general digs..lead vocalist syndrome, brenda, her majesty etc..

Hear is an article Bill Wyman wrote on what Mick's reply would have been to "Life":

[www.slate.com]

All said, Mick's probably keeping his distance and just going on with the show...hopefully things will thaw and get better as they they tour. It would be great to see them share that camaraderie spirit once again. (:

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home