Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: At least the Beach Boys got their 50th Right
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 27, 2013 09:46

RollingFreak
Just got the live CD and its excellent! I forgot it came out, and my dad came up to me and said "hey I bought that new live Beach Boys album, and we loved Brian Wilson live, but THIS is what the Beach Boys sound like!" He was so thrilled with it, and I have to agree it sounds fantastic. We didn't see the tour because it was too much, and I didn't see many videos, but I heard great things and I understand why. Their voices sound so amazing and its a great live production all around. Yeah, I know most of what I'm hearing is probably coming from Brian's backup band (who are excellent in their own right), but there's something great about it being the Beach Boys, and either the backup band is making it sound more genuine than when its just Brian, or the Beach Boys just sound really great, and those 5 together really make it THAT sound. I'm thinking its a bit of both.

Either way, bumping this as a reminder of the live album and giving my review that its fantastic. A full live show release from this tour was definitely needed.

Unfortuatly, a few songs were missing on the CD "Don't Worry Baby" which Jeff Fosset sang lead on and "All Summer Long" which was a great track close to the encore break. Other than that and me keep skipping over the song "Hawaii" I have it cranked in my car.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 27, 2013 09:51

I saw em in '03 in a Forest Park in England. It was pretty good UNTIL one of em put the Stones down. Yes, in England, and this did not go over too good.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 27, 2013 10:15

trainarollin
RollingFreak
Just got the live CD and its excellent! I forgot it came out, and my dad came up to me and said "hey I bought that new live Beach Boys album, and we loved Brian Wilson live, but THIS is what the Beach Boys sound like!" He was so thrilled with it, and I have to agree it sounds fantastic. We didn't see the tour because it was too much, and I didn't see many videos, but I heard great things and I understand why. Their voices sound so amazing and its a great live production all around. Yeah, I know most of what I'm hearing is probably coming from Brian's backup band (who are excellent in their own right), but there's something great about it being the Beach Boys, and either the backup band is making it sound more genuine than when its just Brian, or the Beach Boys just sound really great, and those 5 together really make it THAT sound. I'm thinking its a bit of both.

Either way, bumping this as a reminder of the live album and giving my review that its fantastic. A full live show release from this tour was definitely needed.

Unfortuatly, a few songs were missing on the CD "Don't Worry Baby" which Jeff Fosset sang lead on and "All Summer Long" which was a great track close to the encore break. Other than that and me keep skipping over the song "Hawaii" I have it cranked in my car.
I mentioned in the thread that I'm upset some songs were left off the release. Namely:

-All Summer Long
-Darlin
-Don't Worry Baby
-I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
-Kiss Me Baby
-Please Let Me Wonder
-This Whole World
-You're So Good To Me

All of which were played on the tour, and if you add one song to that list you would have had a live release that included 50 songs for their 50th anniversary, which would have been very cool. And seeing as between the two CDs there is about half an hour of time left, they probably could have fit 9 more songs.

However, all but 2 of the songs I mentions are already on Brian Wilson's Live At The Roxy album from a decade ago, which is outstanding in its own right, so I can live with that. For what its worth, the live album the Beach Boys gave us is really great and typical in most aspects of a normal show from that tour. I can understand why it was released this way, and its hard to put out something that people won't find SOMETHING to argue about in some capacity. As someone that didn't get to see this tour, this live album is truly excellent and such a welcome surprise.

Date: May 28, 2013 07:52

JumpinJackOLantern
The Beach Boys may have got it right but Mike Love didn't. But what would you expect from that jerk. And, I mean, JERK!

Total jerk. He sucks.

As for responding to the rest of this thread, as a HUGE fan of BOTH Stones and BBs, I can say without question that the STONES are getting it right. Yes, the BBs had all the living members on stage, but IMHO there ARE NO BEACH BOYS WITHOUT CARL AND DENNIS. Beach Boys = 3 Wilsons in the band, especially since the only other member with songwriting talent was Dennis. Carl was the peacemaker and had the best voice; even getting those still alive didn't amount to much other than Mike disappointing and saddening Brian YET AGAIN. I LOVE the BBs and their reunion album actually had a 3 song suite at the end of the disc that was pure Brian and a masterwork in its own right (much of the rest was the definition of embarrassing), yet live, they can't sing that well at their age. It's well known that Brian's voice has been shit since 1974, and though he doesn't sound like the croaking, off-key baritone of their coke-addled late 70s days, his voice is still a mere shadow of its former glory. The same can be said for every BB still alive save Al Jardine who sounded terrific on the tour. If we're going to get into the warhorses qualm, the Boys were really no different than Macca or the Stones as far as their choices--they played EVERY big hit they ever had, even that wretched Mike Love trainwreck "Kokomo"--and didn't play NEARLY enough of the best, more obscure stuff for my liking. Where was "Til I Die?" "Cool Cool Water?" Anything from the Friends LP? So many missed opportunities, but I will give it to them that at least they pulled out "All This Is That." The same can be said for the Stones now--at least they're doing "Emotional Rescue" and now that Taylor has played "Sway" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" with 'em, and the fact that for a brief moment they brought back "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Lady Jane," I'd say we could and can be quite happy!

Stones get it better than Macca OR Brian and his Boys, however, because they possess a secret weapon, and his name is MICK. JAGGER. If it weren't for him running his ass off all over the stage, they'd be a bunch of boring old guys that weren't much to watch either. Mick can still sing all the songs quite well in their original keys, too, which you can't say about any BB save Al and you CAN'T say it about Macca's croaky, withered live voice. And I LOVE Macca. Rant over.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:45

CanYouHearTheMusic
JumpinJackOLantern
The Beach Boys may have got it right but Mike Love didn't. But what would you expect from that jerk. And, I mean, JERK!

Total jerk. He sucks.

As for responding to the rest of this thread, as a HUGE fan of BOTH Stones and BBs, I can say without question that the STONES are getting it right. Yes, the BBs had all the living members on stage, but IMHO there ARE NO BEACH BOYS WITHOUT CARL AND DENNIS. .

You could argue that the Rolling Stones aren't the Rolling Stones without Bill Wyman. (And you don't need caps to express it). Obviously the Stones are damaged goods compared to their peak, just like the Beach Boys. And both groups responded. The Beach Boys pulled together as many Beach Boys as possible, including the underrated David Marks. The Stones brought in Mick Taylor and something went flibberdegibit with the Wyman thing. It's not like the Beach Boys can bring back Carl and Dennis. And it's not like the Stones can bring back Brian for a 60s set. Give both groups credit for trying to gather as much of their remaining groups as possible.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 09:32

I saw them here, in Parkersburg WV in about 87'......it was laughable! A concert of medleys, great! I dont know if they played anything start to finish, forgetable.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 28, 2013 09:56

Thrylan
I saw them here, in Parkersburg WV in about 87'......it was laughable! A concert of medleys, great! I dont know if they played anything start to finish, forgetable.

The only medley they would have been playing in '87 was a brief "car songs" medley - everything else was full songs, start to finish.

Date: May 28, 2013 14:49

In my youth I saw the Beach Boys free concert on the Mall in Washington D.C. I didn't like them or to put it bluntly they sucked. I can't imagine paying to sit in a sea of gay old men listening to Kokomo....it is just not happening. It is completely laughable to compare the pathetic Beach Boys 50th tour to the incredible Stones 50th tour.All I can say is the Stones have got thier 50th right and are kicking major ass this tour- better catch 'em while you can.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:08

Jah Paul
Thrylan

The only medley they would have been playing in '87 was a brief "car songs" medley - everything else was full songs, start to finish.

Being in a small town may have played a part, it could have been 86' or 88'........but it was medley city.......terrible, people milling around, no one paying attention......quite sad really.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:11

its good to be anywhere
In my youth I saw the Beach Boys free concert on the Mall in Washington D.C. I didn't like them or to put it bluntly they sucked. I can't imagine paying to sit in a sea of gay old men listening to Kokomo....it is just not happening. It is completely laughable to compare the pathetic Beach Boys 50th tour to the incredible Stones 50th tour.All I can say is the Stones have got thier 50th right and are kicking major ass this tour- better catch 'em while you can.

So you like sitting in a sea of gay old men if you don't have to pay for it? I'm confused, and maybe you are too. Is Kokomo less macho than Waiting On A Friend? And where exactly are the Beach Boys playing to a sea of gay old men? And how did you find out about it? It looks like there were an awful lot of cute women at the 2012 Beach Boys concerts dancing and singing.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:30

RollingFreak
Rokyfan
Jeez, this thread got bumped again. The Beach Boys. Didn't the ones with actual talent either die or go nuts? People take Mike Love and a backup band seriously? I know, there are fans out there for everything. Like I said, have at it.

I'm not really taking you seriously, but in case you actually believe your comments, the only ones that died are Carl and Dennis Wilson. Yes, they were hugely important to the band, but they didn't write the songs. The ones with the most talent are Brian Wilson and Mike Love, who are still alive and were on this CD/reunion tour. Brian did go crazy back in the day, but he's recovered and playing and sounding great nowadays and has been since about 2000. This reunion tour was most certainly not Mike Love and a backup band. The normal band that toured before and after this tour is and was. Just clearing that up. You can scoff at the Beach Boys, but they did their 50th in the best way possible.

Why not take me seriously, I know who's dead, who's alive, who's crazy (whatever that means). I'm a Brian Wilson fan as well as a fan of other artists with similar histories -- look at my user name. I understand the genius behind such works as Pet Sounds and love the Surf's Up album and a few others. But Mike Love makes me puke, he's a no-talent hack with nothing to say to me. Mike Love is the antithesis of Brian Wilson. And the current tour is not just recreations by a band of studio musicians? Sorry, I have no interest.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:49

24FPS
its good to be anywhere

So you like sitting in a sea of gay old men if you don't have to pay for it? I'm confused, and maybe you are too. Is Kokomo less macho than Waiting On A Friend? And where exactly are the Beach Boys playing to a sea of gay old men? And how did you find out about it? It looks like there were an awful lot of cute women at the 2012 Beach Boys concerts dancing and singing.
No. IMHO Kokomo is a horrible pop song it has nothing to do with being macho or not macho. To be fair, I have not attended any addtional Beach Boys concerts nor do I plan to. If you like them cool that's great but it is insulting to post on a Stones message board how they got there 50th anniversay right and the Stones didn't when clearly that is not the case.
Peace

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:01

You're right, ROLLING Freak about going nostalgic but that is the one thing Mick J seems to hate! It's ironic that they're making millions based on a set list FULL of war horses and they rarely play any of their newer material. Now I know that a lot of you think that's fine and feel the newer stuff stinks but that's not true!!
If you look at the set list, it's 99% nostagia!! Why try to deny the very thing that draws the crowds? Even the short film that plays before the Stones come on stage is filled with images from the past. I wish the band would acknowledge and embrace the past whole-heartedly....let Taylor play all the way through. Too bad if Ronnie gets miffed. Let it all come full circle.

Date: May 28, 2013 21:37

its good to be anywhere
24FPS
its good to be anywhere

No. IMHO Kokomo is a horrible pop song it has nothing to do with being macho or not macho. To be fair, I have not attended any addtional Beach Boys concerts nor do I plan to. If you like them cool that's great but it is insulting to post on a Stones message board how they got there 50th anniversay right and the Stones didn't when clearly that is not the case.
Peace

So...maybe I was being provocative. Maybe some people are ticked off about it because there's a part of it that's true? I think the Stones are playing good, but they've plenty to piss off fans, from high ticket prices to what is now becoming a bit of bad blood over the $85 tickets. Plus they finally put Mick Taylor out there, and then just as quick they took him back. I don't mind the guest stars, but I was sure as hell more turned on with Mick Taylor. And god knows how the dysfunctional Wyman thing went down.

I though the Beach Boys DVD I saw was a great mix of rarities and well known hits. And don't forget, I started this thread before the tour really got going. There's a long way to go on this tour. There could be some real surprises and highlights. Whatever Mick Jagger will allow.

Cheers.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: May 28, 2013 23:40

its good to be anywhere
If you like them cool that's great but it is insulting to post on a Stones message board how they got there 50th anniversay right and the Stones didn't when clearly that is not the case.

I guess you don't like the Beach Boys or have no taste in music. The Beach Boys DID get it right, something it is now painfully obvious the Stones have not. Unless you are going to your first show, go way back to 1981, or you just like the taste of their cool-aid.
For those of you interested a very nice gentleman made a compilation of some of the missing songs from the official BB CD. Some are soundboard, most are not, but it is a nice added extra.
Drop me an email if I can help anyone.
Dare I post it here on a "Stones board" and feel the wrath.

Fred

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 23:42 by lucifrshmr.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: May 28, 2013 23:57

24FPS
So...maybe I was being provocative. Maybe some people are ticked off about it because there's a part of it that's true? I think the Stones are playing good, but they've plenty to piss off fans, from high ticket prices to what is now becoming a bit of bad blood over the $85 tickets. Plus they finally put Mick Taylor out there, and then just as quick they took him back. I don't mind the guest stars, but I was sure as hell more turned on with Mick Taylor. And god knows how the dysfunctional Wyman thing went down.

Very well put, and exactly how I feel at this point. And to add more I think Brenda is blowing it to a very large part with his singing style. After 40 plus years for me his shitck has finally gotten to me.

I though the Beach Boys DVD I saw was a great mix of rarities and well known hits. And don't forget, I started this thread before the tour really got going. There's a long way to go on this tour. There could be some real surprises and highlights. Whatever Mick Jagger will allow.

I'm willing to bet no one will upstage Brenda from here on in.
As always JMHO, and I really don't care if it upsets anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 23:58 by lucifrshmr.

Date: May 29, 2013 00:57

Why the long Beach Boys thread here???

Date: May 29, 2013 04:43

Somebody resurrected it.

Date: May 29, 2013 05:48

24FPS
CanYouHearTheMusic
JumpinJackOLantern

Total jerk. He sucks.

As for responding to the rest of this thread, as a HUGE fan of BOTH Stones and BBs, I can say without question that the STONES are getting it right. Yes, the BBs had all the living members on stage, but IMHO there ARE NO BEACH BOYS WITHOUT CARL AND DENNIS. .

You could argue that the Rolling Stones aren't the Rolling Stones without Bill Wyman. (And you don't need caps to express it). Obviously the Stones are damaged goods compared to their peak, just like the Beach Boys. And both groups responded. The Beach Boys pulled together as many Beach Boys as possible, including the underrated David Marks. The Stones brought in Mick Taylor and something went flibberdegibit with the Wyman thing. It's not like the Beach Boys can bring back Carl and Dennis. And it's not like the Stones can bring back Brian for a 60s set. Give both groups credit for trying to gather as much of their remaining groups as possible.

Good points, those. I LIKE ALL CAPS THOUGH!!! winking smiley

As for Wyman, he's usually only on about 70% of their recorded output when he was a member. None of the Stones really liked him much, exception being (I'm guessing) Charlie. He's a fantastically underrated bassist but Darryl, IMHO, has done just fine, thank you. The Beach Boys and the Stones are apples and oranges here . . . For me, the Beach Boys have to have three Wilsons, but it could also be argued that the group died when Carl did. Al didn't want to tour as "The Beach Boys" any longer with Carl gone and Mike did, hence Al leaving and creating his "BB Family & Friends" group. I'm a diehard fan of both so sure, I was happy to have new music that was genuinely AMAZING (last 3 songs on TWGMTR) and happy to live vicariously through reading the sets on-line, even though Mike won that argument and they mostly played the same stale oldies with a few gems like "All This Is That" thrown in. However, they're boring to watch on stage now, they can't sing (exception being Al) in key any longer and none of them are performers, so to speak. Which is why Mick Jagger wins this argument: Stones do/did it better. All subjective of course! Liking this thread since it scratches another itch (my Wilsonian one).

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:27

I saw the Beach Boys in 1974 in Honolulu when I was 13, and a couple years later at Madison Square Garden when my high school band marched in the Macy's parade. They were a genuinely great live band. Without Carl, and with the lower register vocals from Brian, it's still an emotional, heartfelt show, but they aren't really a great live band any more. Foskett sings well, but he doesn't sound like as Brian or Carl (who were genuinely brilliant vocalists) so much as a guy in a tribute band. For me, the Beach Boys get an A for effort and a strong B for execution. The Stones get a B for effort but an A+ for execution - which hey can do because they have all the critical pieces intact, which the Beach Boys, unfortunately don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 07:29 by drbryant.

Date: May 29, 2013 08:03

drbryant
The Stones get a B for effort but an A+ for execution - which hey can do because they have all the critical pieces intact, which the Beach Boys, unfortunately don't.

Unfortunately the Rolling Stones don't have all their critical pieces intact. They've been missing the swing and bottom of their former bass player. They may play okay, but they're not at the level they used to be for that very reason. It's a real tragedy they've got Mick Taylor right there and they don't use him more. They more not be able to replace Bill, but Mick Taylor can fill in some of the sketchy guitar work.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 29, 2013 20:49

The Wilson brothers (let's not forget Dennis' underrated tenor) were blessed with among the greatest voices in the history of American popular music. In particular the ability of Brian, and later Carl, to express a range of complex human emotions - loneliness, yearning, melancholy - in the turn of a phrase or an imperceptible shift in tone is astounding. Carl's soft lead on God Only KNows, Brian's wordless intros to songs like Hushabye and Warmth of the Sun, etc.

I would note that I have always been a great fan of Brian Wilson, and have great respect for the Wondermints - Darian and Foskett and the guy who sang "Let Him Run Wild". They sound great; but they don't really sound like the Beach Boys. And to repeat myself, I think that the Beach Boys did their 50th "right" - but the Stones show was much, much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 20:50 by drbryant.

Date: May 29, 2013 21:53

24FPS
drbryant
The Stones get a B for effort but an A+ for execution - which hey can do because they have all the critical pieces intact, which the Beach Boys, unfortunately don't.

Unfortunately the Rolling Stones don't have all their critical pieces intact. They've been missing the swing and bottom of their former bass player. They may play okay, but they're not at the level they used to be for that very reason. It's a real tragedy they've got Mick Taylor right there and they don't use him more. They more not be able to replace Bill, but Mick Taylor can fill in some of the sketchy guitar work.

They are indeed doing a way better tour than any of us could expect.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 30, 2013 02:30

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home