Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
At least the Beach Boys got their 50th Right
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:06

Just watched the 'The Beach Boys 50 - Live In Concert' DVD. How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong? The Beach Boys are notoriously dysfunctional, and yet they managed to pull it together for their 50th tour. Every living Beach Boy was up on stage, including Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, who I was shocked to see handle most of the lead guitar parts Carl used to play.

There was a great mix of songs, from their warhorses, to lesser played fun stuff like 'Hawaii'. There were the car songs, naturally, but there were the artistic heights like 'Sloop John B', 'Heroes & Villians', and the incomparable 'Sail on Sailor' with Brian on vocals.

They were supplemented by some crack back-up musicians, mostly from Brian Wilson's traveling band. I don't know how much tickets were, but you definitely wouldn't have walked away from those concerts feeling cheated.

Re: At least the Beach Boys got their 50th Right
Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:09

Yeah, I'm sure those performances were exciting as all hell...

Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations aside, The Beach Boys are garbage.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:13

Tonyz
eye rolling smiley

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:20

Saw 'em at Bonnaroo last year and it was just phenomenal. I'm not their #1 fan but it was great. So glad I got the chance.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:32

Interesting comparison.

For the most part, the Beach Boys did get their 50th pretty perfect. Played a great set of material, adding stuff in throughout the tour, playing nearly 50 songs a night (even if they are only 2 minutes), playing a good 2 and a half to 3 hours (with intermission), and having every living Beach Boy up their to have their moment. If you wanted to see "The Beach Boys", this was it.

However, similar to the Stones, they charged $250 for top seats (at least in NY). Its hard now to make that seem like a lot of money, now with the Stones current tour, but thats ALOT. I've never paid more than $175 for a show, and I've seen all the legends. The Beach Boys are no better than anyone else. They are amazing, but their show isn't worth more than when I saw other people. Just my opinion of course, but I think its valid.

Overall though, they got it right. Fans loved it, seemed like the band had fun. Meanwhile, the Stones can't pull Mick Taylor on full time (I won't even get into Wyman), still playing a relatively standard setlist, charging an arm and leg for tickets. They do still play 2 hours and 30 minutes (at least recently), and of the two they are definitely the better "show" to see. For the most part, the band members have still got it.

Its funny too because, now, the Beach Boys is just Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. They've totally screwed their future tour plans, as now no one really cares after seeing the real Beach Boys. The Stones, lets face it, probably won't tour after this. Why not have Taylor full time? Who is it hurting? Its not like people won't come to the next tour, because there won't be one. The Stones have nothing to lose by going as nostalgic as the Beach Boys did, yet Mike Love's incarnation of the Beach Boys had EVERYTHING to lose. Fans were lucky they got to see their idols, and then subsequently laugh at the destruction of Mike Love.

Posted by: randywdc ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:45

Saw them last year too, in Columbia, MD. Truly outstanding performance...48 song setlist! Was very impressed w/David Marks'lead guitar skills. Was never a big fan of the surf material but he kind of won me over there. (Always preferred material from Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up, etc.) Too bad about Mike Love & his refusal to continue on with this configuration. At least Brian is now touring w/Al & David! Would have been interesting to have Blondie & Ricki Fataar back in the fold too!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:55

Saw them at the Hollywood Bowl last June...it was an excellent concert. Big fan of Carl, but most every time one of his guitar solos came up during a song, it was nice to see David right there filling in for him.

It's a shame Mike and Bruce won't continue with the others, but the Beach Boys (officially) have been pretty much just Mike and Bruce since Carl passed away in 1998.

Date: April 26, 2013 04:25

RollingFreak
Interesting comparison.

However, similar to the Stones, they charged $250 for top seats (at least in NY). Its hard now to make that seem like a lot of money, now with the Stones current tour, but thats ALOT. (/quote]

Yeah, but you got something harder to see than the Stones. That configuration of The Beach Boys hadn't been together for like 20 years. They seemed to pull all of their best elements together. The Stones can't even hash things out with Bill. And face it, you're not seeing anything new except perhaps a couple numbers with Mick Taylor. For the life of me I can't figure out what we're supposed to be excited about. Higher ticket prices? For a band in decline? Playing hardly anything but the hits? With the same hack ass people they've been playing with for some time now? Where's the novelty? Where's the heat? Sure the Beach Boys made some dough, but at least in the end it was about the music. What the hell is the warhorse tour about?

Date: April 26, 2013 04:51

RollingFreak
Interesting comparison.

For the most part, the Beach Boys did get their 50th pretty perfect. Played a great set of material, adding stuff in throughout the tour, playing nearly 50 songs a night (even if they are only 2 minutes), playing a good 2 and a half to 3 hours (with intermission), and having every living Beach Boy up their to have their moment. If you wanted to see "The Beach Boys", this was it.

However, similar to the Stones, they charged $250 for top seats (at least in NY). Its hard now to make that seem like a lot of money, now with the Stones current tour, but thats ALOT. I've never paid more than $175 for a show, and I've seen all the legends. The Beach Boys are no better than anyone else. They are amazing, but their show isn't worth more than when I saw other people. Just my opinion of course, but I think its valid.

Overall though, they got it right. Fans loved it, seemed like the band had fun. Meanwhile, the Stones can't pull Mick Taylor on full time (I won't even get into Wyman), still playing a relatively standard setlist, charging an arm and leg for tickets. They do still play 2 hours and 30 minutes (at least recently), and of the two they are definitely the better "show" to see. For the most part, the band members have still got it.

Its funny too because, now, the Beach Boys is just Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. They've totally screwed their future tour plans, as now no one really cares after seeing the real Beach Boys. The Stones, lets face it, probably won't tour after this. Why not have Taylor full time? Who is it hurting? Its not like people won't come to the next tour, because there won't be one. The Stones have nothing to lose by going as nostalgic as the Beach Boys did, yet Mike Love's incarnation of the Beach Boys had EVERYTHING to lose. Fans were lucky they got to see their idols, and then subsequently laugh at the destruction of Mike Love.

Mike Love is a full blown idiot. They had a great thing going and then he goes and destroys it all at the end. Needless to say there won't be any more reunions for the Beach Boys - the real (all living members) Beach Boys that is.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 26, 2013 05:07

Blondie Chaplan sang the lead vocals on the original Sail On Sailor by the Beach Boys.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 26, 2013 05:14

RollingFreak
Interesting comparison.

quote]

I saw them with the whole family (perfect first concert for the kids) and we paid 35 buck a seta for decent seats at Jones beach. I dint even consdier paying top dollar...no need to.

Also, as ive said elsehwere on this baord, i loved the way they inlcuded Dennis and Carl in the show. No silly holograms, juts a video of them playing and singing while the band on stage played along. Woud have loved to see the Stones do that with Brian in newark--using the Paint it Black video from Ed Sullivan that features Brian on sitar.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:20

How can anyone call the Beach Boys garbage? I can see not liking them but garbage? They have the greatest harmonies I've ever heard. I would agree Mike Love is a complete ass where would he be without Brian Wilson??

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:34

Is the Beach Boys 50th DVD a full concert? I thought there was a lot of flack that its only like 10 songs?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:36

24FPS
Just watched the 'The Beach Boys 50 - Live In Concert' DVD. How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong? The Beach Boys are notoriously dysfunctional, and yet they managed to pull it together for their 50th tour. Every living Beach Boy was up on stage, including Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, who I was shocked to see handle most of the lead guitar parts Carl used to play.

There was a great mix of songs, from their warhorses, to lesser played fun stuff like 'Hawaii'. There were the car songs, naturally, but there were the artistic heights like 'Sloop John B', 'Heroes & Villians', and the incomparable 'Sail on Sailor' with Brian on vocals.

They were supplemented by some crack back-up musicians, mostly from Brian Wilson's traveling band. I don't know how much tickets were, but you definitely wouldn't have walked away from those concerts feeling cheated.

#rollingmyeyesatperhapsthestupidestposteveronthisforum (Sorry had to hashtag it for twitter).

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:49

Kokomo cool smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 26, 2013 07:16

Got it right.

Uh, huh.

And then FIRED two founding members.
Via the press.

Some kind of fashion.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:23

MisterDDDD
Got it right.

Uh, huh.

Via the press.

Some kind of fashion.

Mike Love is a sad and pathetic human being.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:31

JumpinJackOLantern
MisterDDDD
Got it right.

Uh, huh.

Via the press.

Some kind of fashion.

His legacy will be that of, prick!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 26, 2013 08:24

YACHT did their 10th anniversary right. At $18 it was one of my top 5 most expensive shows of 2012 but well worth it.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 26, 2013 08:33

Not only were the concerts phenomenal, they put out a mostly excellent album of new material too!

Shame the DVD is only half the show- I'm guessing Mike Love didn't want to split royalties among writers of 40+ songs so he just stacked half in his favour.... Just a theory.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 26, 2013 08:38

The Mormons 12th anniversary at Five Stars Bar in 2010 had to be the greatest anniversary show I have ever seen.

Date: April 26, 2013 09:06

jazzbass
24FPS

#rollingmyeyesatperhapsthestupidestposteveronthisforum (Sorry had to hashtag it for twitter).

So that's it. You just say it's stupid without bothering to give a reason? And, in your opinion, it is 'Perhaps the stupidest post ever on this forum'. Really? Have you never read some of the idiots on here go back and forth viciously over Mick Taylor and Ron Wood? Is it stupid because of the subject matter? A clear description of another classic rock group and how they handled their 50th anniversary? #rollingmeeyesatperhapsthelaziestinsulteveronthisforumandthroughouttheknownuniverse(Sorry, I think twittering is for twits)

Date: April 26, 2013 10:40

<How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong?>

What did the Stones do wrong? They haven't even started the tour yet. AND we got a taste of what to come last year.

Couldn't have been better, if you ask me...

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: April 26, 2013 10:49

This thread is absurd, while i enjoy the beach boys at the beacon....the fact that they didn't do more than theaters, and besides that, the backing band did all the work....

beach boys have a legacy of nothing more than DRAMA, and while the 50th tour was "nice" there is no way they got it "right"

and what a way to celebrate the ending of the tour, by firing Brian, Al and Marks

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: April 26, 2013 10:50

JumpinJackOLantern
MisterDDDD
Got it right.

Uh, huh.

Via the press.

Some kind of fashion.

THANK YOU

Date: April 26, 2013 10:51

Beast of Babylon
This thread is absurd, while i enjoy the beach boys at the beacon....the fact that they didn't do more than theaters, and besides that, the backing band did all the work....

beach boys have a legacy of nothing more than DRAMA, and while the 50th tour was "nice" there is no way they got it "right"

and what a way to celebrate the ending of the tour, by firing Brian, Al and Marks

I think they did arenas in Europe - at least in Norway.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 26, 2013 11:03

Yes, what did the stones do wrong?

We got pretty much everything we need.
There's been a load of material released which I see as a part of the anniversary; crossfire hurricane, charlie is my darling, all the stonesarchive releases, a couple of new songs, a nice photobook, we can even see the re-releases of exile and some girls as a part of the festivities... great gigs in london and NJ... And even more to come.

People who are still complaining will never be satisfied. Sad.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:35

Yes, they did get their reunion right, apart from splitting up again after that.

David Marks is indeed a very dynamic lead guitarist. Feel free to listen to his surf guitar playing on the song "Hotter" from Brian Wilson's aborted "Sweet Insanity" solo album. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 26, 2013 16:44

GumbootCloggeroo
Tonyz
eye rolling smiley

Yes, really, kind of hurtful...I think they did alright for a few other albums.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:23

Saw them at Jones Beach and they were quite enjoyable and fun...it was towards the end of the tour and about a week later news came out that Mike Love will continue to tour but without the rest of the existing band members short of Bruce Johnston.

my feeling is that they are never,ever,ever getting back together

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 18:23 by reg thorpe.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home