Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: At least the Beach Boys got their 50th Right
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:38

BowieStone
Yes, what did the stones do wrong?

We got pretty much everything we need.
There's been a load of material released which I see as a part of the anniversary; crossfire hurricane, charlie is my darling, all the stonesarchive releases, a couple of new songs, a nice photobook, we can even see the re-releases of exile and some girls as a part of the festivities... great gigs in london and NJ... And even more to come.

People who are still complaining will never be satisfied. Sad.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:58

I think Beach Boys fans would trade places with Stones fans any day of the week. How many tours and studio albums have The Beach Boys had over the last thirty years?

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:13

FrankM
I think Beach Boys fans would trade places with Stones fans any day of the week. How many tours and studio albums have The Beach Boys had over the last thirty years?

No need to trade places when you're a fan of both bands. Is that permitted??

For me, the Beach Boys basically ended when Carl Wilson died in 1998...he toured with Mike, Bruce, and Al thru August 1997, just a few months before his death. After his passing, Mike and Bruce continued on as the "Beach Boys", with Brian and Al doing their own thing.

The siliver lining to Carl's death was Brian returning to the road...he has toured regularly the past 14 years, including complete performances of "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" - so, as a Beach Boys fan, I'm pretty happy on that front.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:31

Unbelievable that Love fired Brian Wilson. Just glad I saw them when I did...(pre-firing!)

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:33

This was pretty awesome as far as anniversaries go just because they played something off every single album. But skip the album and get the DVD.

[en.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:35

I'm not an expert on The Beach Boys but I thought Brian Wilson was The Beach Boys. How can he be fired by Mike Love? It would be like Ron Wood firing Mick Jagger.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:37

I thought the same thing. but apparently Love doesn't want to tour further with Brian.

Rolling Stone article

"Just a poor girl in a rich man's house" * Rockin' in Nashville, TN!

Date: April 26, 2013 20:54

Yes, the Stones gave us tons of archive material, duded up Exile and Some Girls, all of which I'm grateful for. But one of my greatest joys was seeing them live, which I really enjoyed through 2006. But after hearing them on the PPV I realize it's not the same, or too much of the same. They needed to shake things up and they've gone the opposite direction. The Stones are miles beyond the Beach Boys, with a catalogue that truly spans 50 years. That they are choosing to play the same old 20 or so numbers, with predictable not so rarities thrown for a couple songs, doesn't interest me, as a hardcore fan.

The Beach Boys approach seemed to be to present the best musical product on stage. The Stones approach seems to be to present the most commercial product. I just heard them in rehearsals and its lacking any zing. And just as I was getting into Darryl's bass, it did that thing where you think it's going somewhere and it stops before anything satisfying happens. And, the Beach Boys released a pretty good album. 'Summer's Gone' is a haunting song that feels like an acknowledgment of loss and time passing. It has real emotional balls. I wish the Stones would address themselves honestly in some songs but I'm afraid they would be the same formulaic material they've been skating by with for some time.

Look, this is a Greatest Hits Tour, and they are generally not that satisfying. In '75 they at least had the IORR album to tour as never having been heard live. The Licks Tour was inferior to No Security, and was also inferior to the ABB tour. I love the Stones. I just wish there was more new music from them instead of played out warhorses. Are you supposed to get excited at the cowbell on HTW again? Act surprised at the opening chords to Start Me Up? The only wild card is Mick Taylor. I hope they use him right.

Date: April 26, 2013 22:15

How can you say that they played the same old numbers?

Check the setlist again. Who do you love, One more shot, Doom & gloom, I wanna be your man, Out of control, Lady Jane, The last time, Get off of my cloud and Around and around are hardly warhorses...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:33

24FPS
BowieStone
Yes, what did the stones do wrong?

We got pretty much everything we need.
There's been a load of material released which I see as a part of the anniversary; crossfire hurricane, charlie is my darling, all the stonesarchive releases, a couple of new songs, a nice photobook, we can even see the re-releases of exile and some girls as a part of the festivities... great gigs in london and NJ... And even more to come.

People who are still complaining will never be satisfied. Sad.

[www.youtube.com]

Had that in mind while hitting the 'post message' button.

Date: April 26, 2013 22:44

DandelionPowderman
How can you say that they played the same old numbers?

Check the setlist again. Who do you love, One more shot, Doom & gloom, I wanna be your man, Out of control, Lady Jane, The last time, Get off of my cloud and Around and around are hardly warhorses...

I Wanna Be Your Man was great, but delivered in a half-ass manner, at least on the PPV. The Last Time isn't that rare, and I've heard Get Off Of My Cloud on the last few tours. They've got to stop being so insecure, like when they announce a song beforehand as if to warn the audience they might be doing something different. Just do it and let the audience catch up to you. They have no problem being arrogant when it comes to ticket prices, but they get shy on stage on delivering more than the most well known of songs.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:50

The Beach Boys did everything right. They released a fairly good new album, they sounded great on stage, and their show was extremely generous - over 40 songs covering every part of their career. Their tickets were reasonably priced, and did not attract scalpers. The few VIP packages they offered included a meet with the band.

And yet, I would rather see the Stones on their worst night than the Beach boys at their best. And. It seems that so would everyone else.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 26, 2013 23:47

I'm a big fan of both. I first saw both the Stones and the Beach Boys in 1972.

I saw the Beach Boys tour last year in Boston at the shell in the Seaport. The sound was great. The song selection was a little too much on the car songs, but that was the price of having Mike Love involved.

While the backup band added heft to the group's complex music arrangements and harmonies, they did one song entirely on their own by the piano, and it was clear that each could still sing (though, ironically, Mike and Bruce were not as strong as they used to be). Al's voice was particularly strong.

I understand from BB boards that a DVD from later in the tour may be coming out. It should be better than what's already out.

The Stones have always been the better live act (despite Mike Love's infamous RRHOF speech), but the Beach Boys gave a great concert themselves in the early 1970's, before they turned into a nostalgia act. We could argue about who had the better songs.

But I have to agree, between the very good and worthy new album, the carefully thought out and well-performed tour, the inclusion of the former members, and the pricing structure, the Beach Boys did it right.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 26, 2013 23:55

24FPS
jazzbass
24FPS
Just watched the 'The Beach Boys 50 - Live In Concert' DVD. How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong? The Beach Boys are notoriously dysfunctional, and yet they managed to pull it together for their 50th tour. Every living Beach Boy was up on stage, including Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, who I was shocked to see handle most of the lead guitar parts Carl used to play.

There was a great mix of songs, from their warhorses, to lesser played fun stuff like 'Hawaii'. There were the car songs, naturally, but there were the artistic heights like 'Sloop John B', 'Heroes & Villians', and the incomparable 'Sail on Sailor' with Brian on vocals.

They were supplemented by some crack back-up musicians, mostly from Brian Wilson's traveling band. I don't know how much tickets were, but you definitely wouldn't have walked away from those concerts feeling cheated.

#rollingmyeyesatperhapsthestupidestposteveronthisforum (Sorry had to hashtag it for twitter).

So that's it. You just say it's stupid without bothering to give a reason? And, in your opinion, it is 'Perhaps the stupidest post ever on this forum'. Really? Have you never read some of the idiots on here go back and forth viciously over Mick Taylor and Ron Wood? Is it stupid because of the subject matter? A clear description of another classic rock group and how they handled their 50th anniversary? #rollingmeeyesatperhapsthelaziestinsulteveronthisforumandthroughouttheknownuniverse(Sorry, I think twittering is for twits)

I was at the Beach Boys 50th concert last year in Atlantic City. It was a nice show. At 45, my wife and I were the youngest people in the room. Again, it was a nice show, well executed. They played all their classic (warhorses), threw in one or two from the new album and a few rarities.

I was also at 3 of 5 of the Stones 50th anniversary concerts. In the tongue pit were people of all ages. Older folk, plenty of fans my age and a lot of young people. I got to see them with Bill Wyman one last time and also a real treat with Mick Taylor. Other highlights for me were the guest appearance of Clapton in London and the YCAGWYW with the choir was just fantastic. Very well done. As a band, they were tight and on their game musically. Especially Keith. Also, over the course of this 50th anniversary year, I enjoyed 6 very reasonably priced classic concert remasters, and an amazing book with some of the best photos of the band I've seen. The Crossfire Hurricane Doc which I really enjoyed for free (on HBO) was great, and perhaps the best release of the 50th anniversary year, "Charlie is my Darling" restored beautifully on Blu Ray. As a final "icing on the cake", I will get to see them live in my hometown of Philly 2 more times.

All in all, I think they did a pretty fine job with their 50th anniversary. So, IMO, to suggest that somehow the Beach Boys got it right but the Stones did not, is well... stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 23:55 by jazzbass.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:13

I went to the Atlanta show and it was magical. I feel very fortunate to have seen the Beach Boys twice (last summer's show, and the lineup with Carl Wilson in '94).

IMHO, if you saw the Beach Boys and at least ONE member of the band had the last name of WILSON, you officially saw the Beach Boys.

If not, then you saw Mike Love with a backup band playing Beach Boys songs.

Date: April 27, 2013 00:32

Well, jazzbass, if the Stones sell out their houses at list prices, that would be great. If there are empty seats and/or lots of discounting, I may think they haven't done it right. And if we don't see a new album, that may add to that opinion.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:44

I don't think the Stones have necessarily done it wrong other than the super-high ticket prices. That will keep a lot of fans away, myself included. As for the show itself, I'm sure they'll try their hardest, especially Mick.

The Beach Boys did it right as best they could, but they're not much of a performance act no matter who's in the band. I enjoyed seeing one of their reunion shows last summer, paid about $70 including service charge for a so-so seat, and it was adequate. I actually enjoyed Al Jardine the most of all. I wish he had a few more leads, because he's the best singer out of the original line-up and he looks like he's having a good time in a corny, aw-shucks way. Brian can't really sing very well anymore and he doesn't look like he enjoys being up there. It's good that people can applaud him for his work, but even at his solo shows, his back-up band is the best part, not Brian.

Date: April 27, 2013 05:59

marianna
Brian can't really sing very well anymore and he doesn't look like he enjoys being up there. It's good that people can applaud him for his work, but even at his solo shows, his back-up band is the best part, not Brian.

It was pretty magical having him on 'Sail on Sailor'. (Yes, I know he didn't sing it on the Holland album). I always associated that song with him and his swirling life. And to be honest the record sounds like him to me.

Date: April 27, 2013 06:01

jazzbass
All in all, I think they did a pretty fine job with their 50th anniversary. So, IMO, to suggest that somehow the Beach Boys got it right but the Stones did not, is well... stupid.

You're right. We should have a more mature, intelligent thread, such as who is better, The Stones or Led Zeppelin? Then we can talk about how high we got after high school last night, man.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:36

RollingFreak
Is the Beach Boys 50th DVD a full concert? I thought there was a lot of flack that its only like 10 songs?

It's less than half of a concert, 21 songs or something like that. But a 2 CD set from the tour will be released next month.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:44

ab
RollingFreak
Is the Beach Boys 50th DVD a full concert? I thought there was a lot of flack that its only like 10 songs?

It's less than half of a concert, 21 songs or something like that. But a 2 CD set from the tour will be released next month.
Oh, very interesting about the CD. I'll have to check that out. I heard they sounded great on the tour and its a great selection of songs so I'd pick that up in a second. I just thought I'd hear the DVD wasn't a full show, which I thought was a missed opportunity, so I didn't really bother to pick it up.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:53

Wow, this double CD looks excellent! Only songs on there that I know were played on the tour that I'd have loved to been included are All Summer Long, Darlin, Don't Worry Baby, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Kiss Me Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Surfin Safari, This Whole World, and You're So Good To Me. Although most of those are already on the excellent Brian Wilson Live At The Roxy album, so I can give those a pass. Otherwise, looks like an outstanding release from them:

[www.amazon.com]

Disc: 1
1. Do It Again
2. Little Honda
3. Catch a Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Don't Back Down
6. Surfin' Safari
7. Surfer Girl
8. The Little Girl I Once Knew
9. Wendy
10. Getcha Back
11. Then I Kissed Her
12. Marcella
13. Isn't It Time
14. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
15. When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
16. Disney Girls
17. Be True To Your School
18. Little Deuce Coupe
19. 409
20. Shut Down
21. I Get Around

Disc: 2
1. Pet Sounds
2. Add Some Music To Your Day
3. Heroes and Villains
4. Sail On, Sailor
5. California Saga: California
6. In My Room
7. All This Is That
8. That's Why God Made The Radio
9. Forever
10. God Only Knows
11. Sloop John B
12. Wouldn't It Be Nice
13. Good Vibrations
14. California Girls
15. Help Me Rhonda
16. Rock and Roll Music
17. Surfin' U.S.A.
18. Kokomo
19. Barbara Ann
20. Fun, Fun, Fun

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 27, 2013 13:00

24FPS
Just watched the 'The Beach Boys 50 - Live In Concert' DVD. How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong? The Beach Boys are notoriously dysfunctional, and yet they managed to pull it together for their 50th tour. Every living Beach Boy was up on stage, including Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, who I was shocked to see handle most of the lead guitar parts Carl used to play.

There was a great mix of songs, from their warhorses, to lesser played fun stuff like 'Hawaii'. There were the car songs, naturally, but there were the artistic heights like 'Sloop John B', 'Heroes & Villians', and the incomparable 'Sail on Sailor' with Brian on vocals.

They were supplemented by some crack back-up musicians, mostly from Brian Wilson's traveling band. I don't know how much tickets were, but you definitely wouldn't have walked away from those concerts feeling cheated.

What are you talking about saying the Stones have got it so wrong, ??? what have they got wrong, they will play their 18 dates to a sell out audience and it will be fantastic.

Some of these threads on this board are getting really pathetic, just can't understand why some people come on here apart from trying to bring the name of the stones down . just can't be even bothered half the time to read the threads anymore as they are just full of waffle. For crying out load, ENJOY WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 13:30

Come on now, I saw them 2 years ago and it was amazing... but.....let off the STONES....this tour will be amazing too....in the end... Brian still left the band.... AGAIN!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 27, 2013 18:37

Brian wasn't fired. They had a contract to do the 50th Anniversary tour for a specified duration, through September of last year. The contract expired, and Mike Love (who owns the band name) elected to carry on with his bargain basement Beach Boys. Brian was just sad to see it end.

Date: April 27, 2013 18:54

Mike doesn't own the band name. He licenses it from BRI, the ownership entity owned by Brian, Al, Mike, and Carl's estate.

I'm very, very happy the Stones are back together. I'm glad some people can afford lots of $600 and $1500 seats. In my view, doing it right would have meant a lower price, and working hard to put out an album.

Date: April 27, 2013 19:08

pgarof
Some of these threads on this board are getting really pathetic, just can't understand why some people come on here apart from trying to bring the name of the stones down . just can't be even bothered half the time to read the threads anymore as they are just full of waffle. For crying out load, ENJOY WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

There's nothing wrong with expressing frustrations. Obviously something made them realize they needed to have Bill Wyman back. Even Bob Dylan made that clear. I said all the archive stuff was great, and the 'new' tracks on deluxe Exile/Some Girls. I hope that Mick Taylor works out great and picks up the slack from Keith. (And don't tell me Keith is playing better than ever or you'll have no credibility).

I have attended some great Stones show. The No Security tour was supreme. But with the chances dwindling to see them on stage again, it would be nice for them to mix it up a little bit. The Beach Boys, surprisingly, of all groups, got that part right on stage last year. I'm sure once the Stones hit the floor in LA next week the accolades will pour in. Time Is On Their Side and those kind of headlines. Cheers.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:58

24FPS
jazzbass

You're right. We should have a more mature, intelligent thread, such as who is better, The Stones or Led Zeppelin? Then we can talk about how high we got after high school last night, man.

If that is what you're into, go for it!

Date: April 28, 2013 04:31

jazzbass
24FPS
jazzbass

If that is what you're into, go for it!

It's your thread, not mine.

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: April 28, 2013 05:10

pgarof
Some of these threads on this board are getting really pathetic, just can't understand why some people come on here apart from trying to bring the name of the stones down

THANK YOU!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home