Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: At least the Beach Boys got their 50th Right
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 28, 2013 05:12

Beast of Babylon
pgarof
Some of these threads on this board are getting really pathetic, just can't understand why some people come on here apart from trying to bring the name of the stones down

THANK YOU!!!!!

What are CHOIES?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 28, 2013 05:18

24FPS
jazzbass
24FPS
jazzbass
All in all, I think they did a pretty fine job with their 50th anniversary. So, IMO, to suggest that somehow the Beach Boys got it right but the Stones did not, is well... stupid.

You're right. We should have a more mature, intelligent thread, such as who is better, The Stones or Led Zeppelin? Then we can talk about how high we got after high school last night, man.

If that is what you're into, go for it!

It's your thread, not mine.

Ahh yes, a fine thread that is indeed. Feel free to join in its ongoing discussion if you feel you have something to contribute.

Or if you prefer, you can continue to peruse my post history if that's what you're into.

I will stand by my opinion that your suggestion the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary was better than the Stones' was stupid. Carry on.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 28, 2013 07:56

I met Bruce Johnson a couple weeks ago and showed him a group photo I shot last year. His response was to make derogatory comments about Al Jardine. Something along the lines of "Tell, Al to watch where he sleeps". Mike Love on the otherhand was nice as can be.

The live DVD is pretty damn good, however several show-stoppers are not on it and when I asked Mike Love about it he said he had no decision factors in the final product.

Date: April 28, 2013 10:20

jazzbass
I will stand by my opinion that your suggestion the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary was better than the Stones' was stupid. Carry on.

And I will stand by mine that the Beach Boys offered a more novel, warm experience. If the Echoplex setlist is any indication, I'm asleep already.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 28, 2013 13:03

One thing I found strange about seeing the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson in the US and Japan - there are very few young people and males greatly outnumber females (not as bad as, say, Iron Maiden, but the lines for the men's bathroom are a lot longer).

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 28, 2013 13:39

24FPS
jazzbass

And I will stand by mine that the Beach Boys offered a more novel, warm experience. If the Echoplex setlist is any indication, I'm asleep already.

You're a funny guysmileys with beer

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:51

The Stones should reprise the 40 Licks format in each town:

Arena show - standard setlist.

Theatre show - highlight one album and deep cuts dominate.

Then the fans and the casual gig goer both get what they need.

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: April 28, 2013 22:39

bobo
24FPS
jazzbass

You're a funny guysmileys with beer

winking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 28, 2013 22:45

24FPS
Just watched the 'The Beach Boys 50 - Live In Concert' DVD. How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong? The Beach Boys are notoriously dysfunctional, and yet they managed to pull it together for their 50th tour. Every living Beach Boy was up on stage, including Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, who I was shocked to see handle most of the lead guitar parts Carl used to play.

There was a great mix of songs, from their warhorses, to lesser played fun stuff like 'Hawaii'. There were the car songs, naturally, but there were the artistic heights like 'Sloop John B', 'Heroes & Villians', and the incomparable 'Sail on Sailor' with Brian on vocals.

They were supplemented by some crack back-up musicians, mostly from Brian Wilson's traveling band. I don't know how much tickets were, but you definitely wouldn't have walked away from those concerts feeling cheated.

I saw them. It was boring, boring, boring - they looked older than old.
Stones quite on contrary still look young on stage and play well.
Sorry they couldn't bring Brian Jones back on stage, else they are all on stage - all 6 of them.

Date: April 29, 2013 00:50

mtaylor
24FPS
Just watched the 'The Beach Boys 50 - Live In Concert' DVD. How can they get it so right, and the Stones so wrong? The Beach Boys are notoriously dysfunctional, and yet they managed to pull it together for their 50th tour. Every living Beach Boy was up on stage, including Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, who I was shocked to see handle most of the lead guitar parts Carl used to play.

There was a great mix of songs, from their warhorses, to lesser played fun stuff like 'Hawaii'. There were the car songs, naturally, but there were the artistic heights like 'Sloop John B', 'Heroes & Villians', and the incomparable 'Sail on Sailor' with Brian on vocals.

They were supplemented by some crack back-up musicians, mostly from Brian Wilson's traveling band. I don't know how much tickets were, but you definitely wouldn't have walked away from those concerts feeling cheated.

I saw them. It was boring, boring, boring - they looked older than old.
Stones quite on contrary still look young on stage and play well.
Sorry they couldn't bring Brian Jones back on stage, else they are all on stage - all 6 of them.

Now there's an honest opinion without resorting to name calling. Keith doesn't look old? Charlie? Ron Wood? I don't have cataracts yet.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:36

Again, not saying the Beach Boys were a better band at any point since the Stones hit their stride. But putting out a very good new album, figuring out the right size of places to tour, bringing everyone along, and charging fair ticket prices were all the right things to do. They also had group interviews when they were all together genuinely complimenting each other. (When was the last time we've seen that with the Stones?)

Of course, the Beach Boys blew it by arguing at the end of the tour about whether it should continue. (The Beach Boys always blow it, at least since the decision to skip Monterey Pop and shelve Smile.) But they got the 50th tour basically right.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:39

Tonyz
Yeah, I'm sure those performances were exciting as all hell...

Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations aside, The Beach Boys are garbage.

I only read two posts on this thread, and the second one, this one, says all that has to be said.

The Beach Boys? Really?

Date: May 2, 2013 15:10

I don't think that anyone thinks that the Beach Boys put on a better show than the Stones. Even back when the Beach Boys were among the best live bands around (which would have been around 1974, pre-15 Big Ones), they couldn't touch the Stones. But, by playing many venues at lower prices, and making themselves accessible to fans, I think they did a great job on their "50th" anniversary tour. The Stones, on the other hand, have kind of made a mess of this tour - the prices, in particular $450 for third tier seats, are just way too high. For that price, you could sit near the front of the stage for the Beach Boys and meet the band before the show.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 2, 2013 15:24

drbryant
I don't think that anyone thinks that the Beach Boys put on a better show than the Stones. Even back when the Beach Boys were among the best live bands around (which would have been around 1974, pre-15 Big Ones), they couldn't touch the Stones. But, by playing many venues at lower prices, and making themselves accessible to fans, I think they did a great job on their "50th" anniversary tour. The Stones, on the other hand, have kind of made a mess of this tour - the prices, in particular $450 for third tier seats, are just way too high. For that price, you could sit near the front of the stage for the Beach Boys and meet the band before the show.

For 200$ you have a meet & greet (a long one) with the Black Crows

Date: May 2, 2013 16:13

Harm
drbryant

Yeah, that would be more like it. If you think about it, most of the 50th tour has been done well - the release of a nice career spanning greatest hits set, the coffee table book, and the shows, which obviously have been fantastic so far. The pricing is really the problem - just completely overestimating market demand, as evidenced by all of the floor and 1st tier seats available the day before the opening show in what is usually a very good market (Los Angeles).

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:25

Harm
drbryant

Amazing that the Black Crowes have been around for 50 years already! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 2, 2013 18:53

The Beach Boys are a bunch of old guys pretending to sing, in front of a band of studio musicians. have at it, if that's what you are into.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:06

Rokyfan
The Beach Boys are a bunch of old guys pretending to sing, in front of a band of studio musicians. have at it, if that's what you are into.

Complete ignorance.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:25

Just got the live CD and its excellent! I forgot it came out, and my dad came up to me and said "hey I bought that new live Beach Boys album, and we loved Brian Wilson live, but THIS is what the Beach Boys sound like!" He was so thrilled with it, and I have to agree it sounds fantastic. We didn't see the tour because it was too much, and I didn't see many videos, but I heard great things and I understand why. Their voices sound so amazing and its a great live production all around. Yeah, I know most of what I'm hearing is probably coming from Brian's backup band (who are excellent in their own right), but there's something great about it being the Beach Boys, and either the backup band is making it sound more genuine than when its just Brian, or the Beach Boys just sound really great, and those 5 together really make it THAT sound. I'm thinking its a bit of both.

Either way, bumping this as a reminder of the live album and giving my review that its fantastic. A full live show release from this tour was definitely needed.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:32

Jah Paul
Rokyfan

Complete ignorance.

i just ignore ignorance and it usually goes away...

Date: May 26, 2013 18:36

GRNRBITW
Jah Paul
Rokyfan

Complete ignorance.

i just ignore ignorance and it usually goes away...

Jeez, this thread got bumped again. The Beach Boys. Didn't the ones with actual talent either die or go nuts? People take Mike Love and a backup band seriously? I know, there are fans out there for everything. Like I said, have at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 18:37 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:43

Rokyfan
Jeez, this thread got bumped again. The Beach Boys. Didn't the ones with actual talent either die or go nuts? People take Mike Love and a backup band seriously? I know, there are fans out there for everything. Like I said, have at it.

I'm not really taking you seriously, but in case you actually believe your comments, the only ones that died are Carl and Dennis Wilson. Yes, they were hugely important to the band, but they didn't write the songs. The ones with the most talent are Brian Wilson and Mike Love, who are still alive and were on this CD/reunion tour. Brian did go crazy back in the day, but he's recovered and playing and sounding great nowadays and has been since about 2000. This reunion tour was most certainly not Mike Love and a backup band. The normal band that toured before and after this tour is and was. Just clearing that up. You can scoff at the Beach Boys, but they did their 50th in the best way possible.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:54

"Chuck"le

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:11

trainarollin
I met Bruce Johnson a couple weeks ago and showed him a group photo I shot last year. His response was to make derogatory comments about Al Jardine. Something along the lines of "Tell, Al to watch where he sleeps". Mike Love on the otherhand was nice as can be.

The general impression I get is that Bruce Johnston is a talentless d-bag, who has been riding Brian Wilson's and Mike Love's coattails directly or indirectly for 45+ years. His main contribution to the 50th reunion tour was as cheerleader. Otherwise, he stood at stage extreme left, with his vocal mike and keyboard turned way down. Apart from writing a few not entirely awful songs for the Beach Boys (e.g., Disney Girls), his noteworthy "achievement" is writing I Write the Songs. He's also got a nasal, Sonny Bono-ish one-line vocal at the end of God Only Knows that mars the fade out.

Al Jardine, on the other hand, is the one of the five surviving Beach Boys whose voice is best preserved. His lead vocals (Help Me Rhonda, And Then I Kissed Her, Cotton Fields, etc.) were among the highlights of the reunion shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 12:49 by ab.

Date: May 26, 2013 20:47

i can't believe the bashing the beach boys are being subjected to here - and on a STONES site of all places....

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:18

The regular, Mike Love-only Beach Boys aren't much different than the Stones of the past several years. Lots of predictable oldies. Nothing ever changes about the show for years on end. Mike Love did allow things to get shaken up for their 50th reunion, including having Brian Wilson back, having better musicians featured in the band, and allowing more interesting songs to be played. I think the Stones dropped the ball in that respect for their 50th anniversary tour, unlike the Beach Boys. It's business as usual for the most part and nothing too special.

Date: May 26, 2013 21:37

marianna
The regular, Mike Love-only Beach Boys aren't much different than the Stones of the past several years. Lots of predictable oldies. Nothing ever changes about the show for years on end. Mike Love did allow things to get shaken up for their 50th reunion, including having Brian Wilson back, having better musicians featured in the band, and allowing more interesting songs to be played. I think the Stones dropped the ball in that respect for their 50th anniversary tour, unlike the Beach Boys. It's business as usual for the most part and nothing too special.

wait a sec... are we bashing the beach boys or the stones here? very difficult to tell...

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:19

GRNRBITW
marianna

wait a sec... are we bashing the beach boys or the stones here? very difficult to tell...

Just saying that Mike Love is a big enough man to let other people have a chance to share the spotlight during his band's 50th anniversary. Since Mike Love has the legal rights to tour as the Beach Boys and no one else (Brian Wilson voted for that, since Mike tours over 100 dates per year and Brian gets a share of his revenue), he didn't have to agree to put Brian, Al Jardine, and David Marks back in the line-up unless he wanted to. And he wanted to, even though the tour revenues for the Beach Boys were reduced for the 50th anniversary tour due to having more band members and ticket prices that weren't really high enough to earn much more money than Mike's usual touring band. He allowed Brian's band to join in, and they're better musicians than the usual Beach Boys' line-up. He allowed Brian to have input in deciding which songs were played, and Brian chose some songs that are rarely, if ever, played by Mike Love's oldies show.

Contrast that to what the Stones are doing for their 50th anniversary tour, which is nothing much. They're doing the same big hits people expect them to play and not varying the setlist too much or playing unusual things too often. They bring back a legacy band member who was featured on some of their most highly-regarded material and has played well when allowed to play, but they rarely allow him to play. They'd rather feature lame celebrity guest stars who seem to have no rhyme or reason as to how they're picked. They charge ridiculous ticket prices for doing the same old thing and not doing much to maximize the impact of their 50th anniversary or the fact they're really not going to be touring much in the future due to the diminished capacities of some of their usual members.

Date: May 26, 2013 22:24

marianna
GRNRBITW
marianna

Just saying that Mike Love is a big enough man to let other people have a chance to share the spotlight during his band's 50th anniversary. Since Mike Love has the legal rights to tour as the Beach Boys and no one else (Brian Wilson voted for that, since Mike tours over 100 dates per year and Brian gets a share of his revenue), he didn't have to agree to put Brian, Al Jardine, and David Marks back in the line-up unless he wanted to. And he wanted to, even though the tour revenues for the Beach Boys were reduced for the 50th anniversary tour due to having more band members and ticket prices that weren't really high enough to earn much more money than Mike's usual touring band. He allowed Brian's band to join in, and they're better musicians than the usual Beach Boys' line-up. He allowed Brian to have input in deciding which songs were played, and Brian chose some songs that are rarely, if ever, played by Mike Love's oldies show.

Contrast that to what the Stones are doing for their 50th anniversary tour, which is nothing much. They're doing the same big hits people expect them to play and not varying the setlist too much or playing unusual things too often. They bring back a legacy band member who was featured on some of their most highly-regarded material and has played well when allowed to play, but they rarely allow him to play. They'd rather feature lame celebrity guest stars who seem to have no rhyme or reason as to how they're picked. They charge ridiculous ticket prices for doing the same old thing and not doing much to maximize the impact of their 50th anniversary or the fact they're really not going to be touring much in the future due to the diminished capacities of some of their usual members.

ok. thanks for the clarity. much obliged. i was really digging this tour, but your post has me thinking otherwise. long live the beach boys, though!

Date: May 27, 2013 05:30

The Beach Boys may have got it right but Mike Love didn't. But what would you expect from that jerk. And, I mean, JERK!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home