Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Unpopular opinions you have about The Stones
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 23, 2013 23:35

24FPS
jamesfdouglas

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are....

You don't have to be a musician to hear how they've lost a few steps. Keith can't solo anymore. Charlie's lost that snap.

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band, even for the 1-2 years when they tried to be, they were unsuccessful. The Stones are more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' band, but not a master of any.

How were they unsuccessful? They had a number one hit in the UK with a stirring rendition of Little Red Rooster. The blues players they emulated praised them. If anything the Stones were masters at turning current sounds into pop records.

There's nothing The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands.

Who did better rock/disco? Rod Stewart? I've never heard better Elizabethan pop than Lady Jane. Give me your example of better. What band had better dynamics than JJF/HTW/Brown Sugar? Okay, maybe they weren't the best Reggae band in the world. Or very good at covering the Drifters. But I could name a few cover songs they made their own, or at least equaled the original.

As for my own unpopular opinion, Indian Girl is a great song.

Better Rock-disco - yes, Rod Stewart. Hell KISS did beter with 'I Was Made for Lovin' You'. But yeah, rock-disco-funk. I'd say the Stones never outdid Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire. As for pasty white UK people giving it a go... the #$%&ing Bee Gees OWNED it.

Elizabethan Pop (could this have a gayer name?)... gah! Who the hell made up that term?? If you mean frilly pretentiously-repressed sounding harpsichord-laden drivel, The Beatles outdid the Stones with that psuedo-style. In Fact Both Aftermath and Between the Buttons don't come close to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Not even close.

What band had better dynamics than Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Brown Sugar? Oh, I don't know... maybe The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin??? Add in The Allman Brothers and Jimi Hendrix... with those five there's no need to listen to The Sones ever again.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 23, 2013 23:44

NICOS
jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
The Stones aren't a band anymore at all. They're a brand. They're corporate whores which you all bend over and spread for. They'll keep going for as long as they can bleed the wallet of blind fools who attach their own self-worth an image to, JUST like any overpriced clothing label.

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years are either 1) blinded by hero worship 2) blinded by brand worship 3) believe that by buying $o hard into the brand that they i) know them personally or ii) have bought a more weighted opinion of them or... 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are as long as they hear a beat and words - sort of a musical illiteracy.

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band, even for the 1-2 years when they tried to be, they were unsuccessful. The Stones are more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' band, but not a master of any.

There's nothing the The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands. They never have truly been "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band" - that self-made tagline is only believed by ignorant people.

Well they are certainly better than your crappy arse band- at least you have to give them props for that.

I gave my unpopular opinion. You chose once again to slam me personally.
Get a life, dick-muncher.

Well they are certainly better than your crappy arse band- at least you have to give them props for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The fun of this post is to give your unpopular opinion about the band you love (otherwise you wouldn't be here) so why get personal confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

If he just gave his opinion on the band and left it at that I wouldn't have said anything- even though he whines and complains like an old lady. He then went on to make the stupid statement that anybody that believes they are The World's Greatest Rock And Roll Band" is ignorant.

If you hurl insults expect to get them back- kind of like a boomerang.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: April 23, 2013 23:45

Well, I would say that I'm not really a Stones fan. I'm a believer. And guess what, belyfan is the Old English word for "believe".

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 23, 2013 23:48

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are....

You don't have to be a musician to hear how they've lost a few steps. Keith can't solo anymore. Charlie's lost that snap.

How were they unsuccessful? They had a number one hit in the UK with a stirring rendition of Little Red Rooster. The blues players they emulated praised them. If anything the Stones were masters at turning current sounds into pop records.

There's nothing The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands.

Who did better rock/disco? Rod Stewart? I've never heard better Elizabethan pop than Lady Jane. Give me your example of better. What band had better dynamics than JJF/HTW/Brown Sugar? Okay, maybe they weren't the best Reggae band in the world. Or very good at covering the Drifters. But I could name a few cover songs they made their own, or at least equaled the original.

Better Rock-disco - yes, Rod Stewart. Hell KISS did beter with 'I Was Made for Lovin' You'. But yeah, rock-disco-funk. I'd say the Stones never outdid Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire. As for pasty white UK people giving it a go... the #$%&ing Bee Gees OWNED it.

Elizabethan Pop (could this have a gayer name?)... gah! Who the hell made up that term?? If you mean frilly pretentiously-repressed sounding harpsichord-laden drivel, The Beatles outdid the Stones with that psuedo-style. In Fact Both Aftermath and Between the Buttons don't come close to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Not even close.

What band had better dynamics than Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Brown Sugar? Oh, I don't know... maybe The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin??? Add in The Allman Brothers and Jimi Hendrix... with those five there's no need to listen to The Sones ever again.

Maybe someday you will reach the point where you never need to post again lol.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 23, 2013 23:53

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

Elizabethan rock ? Interesting choice of phraseology, for what can be best described as Baroque pop. The Zombies, aside from Procol Harum's first album, and The Beatles, were the best practitioners of it.

I wouldn't exactly call it Elizabethan rock, as it is more Baroque. For example, A Whiter Shade of Pale is based on the meeting between Bach's Air On A G String and When A Man Loves A Woman. Likewise, the harpsichord in In My Life is similar to the Toccata & Fugue series by Bach, and if you listen closely to both Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love, you hear elements of the Brandenburg Concertos by Bach. You also hear, via The Byrds on She Don't Care About Time, Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach.

I know that Brian Jones listened to John Dowland, an Elizabethan composer, which may have influenced Ruby Tuesday's composition, but She's A Rainbow is definitely Baroque in influence, and, probably, Beatle-esque, too, in influence. Dowland, however, caused Sting to create an entire album of his tunes, which I am not a fan of. Elvis Costello also did some Dowland tunes, which can be found on Disc 2 of the expanded Juliet Letters, and he does a far better job with the Dowland.

I would add that Richard Thompson recently, in his 1,000 Years of Popular Music, performed Vecchio's Sa Bon Si Ca Tempo, which was a 16th century Madrigal, and some of the folkier acts from the late 60s were influenced by Madrigals.

Date: April 23, 2013 23:54

I should state Elizabethan Pop.

Date: April 23, 2013 23:58

I would add that the Elizabethan era was from 1558 - 1603, and that the Baroque period in music dated from 1600 - 1750, and was, initially, with Monteverdi's Orfeo in 1607, the preserve of mainland Europe.

Date: April 24, 2013 00:03

I would recommend Reinventing Bach by Paul Elie, which is a great book on the influence of Bach on both rock and classical music.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 24, 2013 00:13

tomcasagranda
I would recommend Reinventing Bach by Paul Elie, which is a great book on the influence of Bach on both rock and classical music.

Bach goes electric. UK instrumental group Apollo 100 (featuring keyboardist Tom Parker) with a version of Joy from 1972--a #6 U.S. single.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2013 00:27

Their version of Mr. Pitiful is wonderful. Wildly unpopular song on here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 00:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:05

Although they made some great and fabulous records after 1974, I was disappointing when they released Goat Head Soup back then....................

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:09

Please. Lady Jane is incomparable. It sounds like you're there in olde English times. The Beatles didn't even accomplish that.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:50

Sixsixseveneight
I can't stand Mick Taylor.

He can't stand you either. Neither can I.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:51

FrankM
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

Maybe someday you will reach the point where you never need to post again lol.

I'm flattered that you can't seem to think about much else here besides me. I don't swing that way though I'm afraid. Good luck in your search.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:54

Mick's hair looked best on the Steel Wheels tour.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:57

Keith is the biggest breadhead of the lot.....................

Date: April 24, 2013 02:03

They are a quite "sexist" band .....correction: quite a "macho" band....and that´s why the majority of Rolling Stones fans are male...

...hope I am not getting banned now....!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 02:09 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 24, 2013 02:13

Ned Kelly should have won an Oscar.

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: April 24, 2013 02:23

They have become old,pathetic farts,only out to make more money,who don't give a shit about their fans...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:00

Oh! Oh! I've got another one:

Saying a Stones album is their best since Some Girls is a load of shite unless you're talking about Tattoo You. There, I said it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:02

spsimmons
Mick's hair looked best on the Steel Wheels tour.

so you're the one who thinks so!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 03:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:08

FrankM
NICOS
jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
The Stones aren't a band anymore at all. They're a brand. They're corporate whores which you all bend over and spread for. They'll keep going for as long as they can bleed the wallet of blind fools who attach their own self-worth an image to, JUST like any overpriced clothing label.

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years are either 1) blinded by hero worship 2) blinded by brand worship 3) believe that by buying $o hard into the brand that they i) know them personally or ii) have bought a more weighted opinion of them or... 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are as long as they hear a beat and words - sort of a musical illiteracy.

There's nothing the The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands. They never have truly been "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band" - that self-made tagline is only believed by ignorant people.

Well they are certainly better than your crappy arse band- at least you have to give them props for that.

I gave my unpopular opinion. You chose once again to slam me personally.
Get a life, dick-muncher.

Well they are certainly better than your crappy arse band- at least you have to give them props for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The fun of this post is to give your unpopular opinion about the band you love (otherwise you wouldn't be here) so why get personal confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

If he just gave his opinion on the band and left it at that I wouldn't have said anything- even though he whines and complains like an old lady. He then went on to make the stupid statement that anybody that believes they are The World's Greatest Rock And Roll Band" is ignorant.

If you hurl insults expect to get them back- kind of like a boomerang.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:09

Mick Taylor plays out of tune throughout the Gimme Shelter film.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:25

Does Ronnie wear a wig?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:35

Keith looks better without the bandana.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:39

tomcasagranda
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

Elizabethan rock ? Interesting choice of phraseology, for what can be best described as Baroque pop. The Zombies, aside from Procol Harum's first album, and The Beatles, were the best practitioners of it.

I wouldn't exactly call it Elizabethan rock, as it is more Baroque. For example, A Whiter Shade of Pale is based on the meeting between Bach's Air On A G String and When A Man Loves A Woman. Likewise, the harpsichord in In My Life is similar to the Toccata & Fugue series by Bach, and if you listen closely to both Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love, you hear elements of the Brandenburg Concertos by Bach. You also hear, via The Byrds on She Don't Care About Time, Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach.

I know that Brian Jones listened to John Dowland, an Elizabethan composer, which may have influenced Ruby Tuesday's composition, but She's A Rainbow is definitely Baroque in influence, and, probably, Beatle-esque, too, in influence. Dowland, however, caused Sting to create an entire album of his tunes, which I am not a fan of. Elvis Costello also did some Dowland tunes, which can be found on Disc 2 of the expanded Juliet Letters, and he does a far better job with the Dowland.

I would add that Richard Thompson recently, in his 1,000 Years of Popular Music, performed Vecchio's Sa Bon Si Ca Tempo, which was a 16th century Madrigal, and some of the folkier acts from the late 60s were influenced by Madrigals.

ah...what the hell does Baroque Obama have to do with Elizabethan Rock?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 24, 2013 04:13

Braincapers
Keith's 2 songs are the highlight of the show

I agree. Not only because he's my favorite, but also because a) literally anything could happen (bad or good) - you get a sense that something is on the line when he steps up to the microphone, and b) i really believe he's feeling the song - whereas with Mick on a good day you can tell he's feeling the beat, and feeding of the audience, but you rarely get the sense he's truly inhabiting the song. Mick singing
SFTD or JJF is an accomplished showman putting one of his hits through its paces. Keith singing "Before They Make Me Run" is a guy singing about how he looked into the abyss and stepped back.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 24, 2013 04:24

sonomastone
Braincapers
Keith's 2 songs are the highlight of the show

I agree. Not only because he's my favorite, but also because a) literally anything could happen (bad or good) - you get a sense that something is on the line when he steps up to the microphone, and b) i really believe he's feeling the song - whereas with Mick on a good day you can tell he's feeling the beat, and feeding of the audience, but you rarely get the sense he's truly inhabiting the song. Mick singing
SFTD or JJF is an accomplished showman putting one of his hits through its paces. Keith singing "Before They Make Me Run" is a guy singing about how he looked into the abyss and stepped back.

Very good...you'll do nicely here...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 24, 2013 06:28

tatters
Dirty Work is their best album since Some Girls.

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2013 06:30

I liked Ronnie better as a guitar player BEFORE he joined the Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home