Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Unpopular opinions you have about The Stones
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 24, 2013 17:55

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
sonomastone
Braincapers
Keith's 2 songs are the highlight of the show

I agree. Not only because he's my favorite, but also because a) literally anything could happen (bad or good) - you get a sense that something is on the line when he steps up to the microphone, and b) i really believe he's feeling the song - whereas with Mick on a good day you can tell he's feeling the beat, and feeding of the audience, but you rarely get the sense he's truly inhabiting the song. Mick singing
SFTD or JJF is an accomplished showman putting one of his hits through its paces. Keith singing "Before They Make Me Run" is a guy singing about how he looked into the abyss and stepped back.

Very good...you'll do nicely here...

yes thanks...now I know what i'm missing while I'm relieving my bladder.

But your taste has always been in the toilet...there are classes that fix that y'know...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2013 18:28

BowieStone
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
sonomastone
Braincapers
Keith's 2 songs are the highlight of the show

I agree. Not only because he's my favorite, but also because a) literally anything could happen (bad or good) - you get a sense that something is on the line when he steps up to the microphone, and b) i really believe he's feeling the song - whereas with Mick on a good day you can tell he's feeling the beat, and feeding of the audience, but you rarely get the sense he's truly inhabiting the song. Mick singing
SFTD or JJF is an accomplished showman putting one of his hits through its paces. Keith singing "Before They Make Me Run" is a guy singing about how he looked into the abyss and stepped back.

Very good...you'll do nicely here...

yes thanks...now I know what i'm missing while I'm relieving my bladder.

I never witnessed a truly fantastic Keith set. For me, one song will do.

Well, it's not only that. I find his banter cringeworthy. If he was speaking 'from the heart' maybe it would be different but how spontaneous can 'it's good to be anywhere' sound after the eleventee-ith time?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 24, 2013 18:47

jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are....

You don't have to be a musician to hear how they've lost a few steps. Keith can't solo anymore. Charlie's lost that snap.

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band, even for the 1-2 years when they tried to be, they were unsuccessful. The Stones are more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' band, but not a master of any.

How were they unsuccessful? They had a number one hit in the UK with a stirring rendition of Little Red Rooster. The blues players they emulated praised them. If anything the Stones were masters at turning current sounds into pop records.

There's nothing The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands.

Who did better rock/disco? Rod Stewart? I've never heard better Elizabethan pop than Lady Jane. Give me your example of better. What band had better dynamics than JJF/HTW/Brown Sugar? Okay, maybe they weren't the best Reggae band in the world. Or very good at covering the Drifters. But I could name a few cover songs they made their own, or at least equaled the original.

As for my own unpopular opinion, Indian Girl is a great song.

Better Rock-disco - yes, Rod Stewart. Hell KISS did beter with 'I Was Made for Lovin' You'. But yeah, rock-disco-funk. I'd say the Stones never outdid Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire. As for pasty white UK people giving it a go... the #$%&ing Bee Gees OWNED it.

Elizabethan Pop (could this have a gayer name?)... gah! Who the hell made up that term?? If you mean frilly pretentiously-repressed sounding harpsichord-laden drivel, The Beatles outdid the Stones with that psuedo-style. In Fact Both Aftermath and Between the Buttons don't come close to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Not even close.

What band had better dynamics than Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Brown Sugar? Oh, I don't know... maybe The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin??? Add in The Allman Brothers and Jimi Hendrix... with those five there's no need to listen to The Sones ever again.

Maybe someday you will reach the point where you never need to post again lol.

I'm flattered that you can't seem to think about much else here besides me. I don't swing that way though I'm afraid. Good luck in your search.

You don't swing that way? Could've fooled me since you whine and complain like a teenage girl. No, I don't think about you that often but you are somewhat of a peculiarity here. The band is certainly not above criticism but what sense does it make to hang out here if all you do is whine and complain? Do you just need attention that you can't get elswhere in your life? Or perhaps your own band is so shitty that it is envy of The Stones that is driving all this negativity?

But you are right that I shouldn't pay that much attention to you. It's kind of like driving down the road and listening to the radio. You hear Air Supply come on and you just change the station. No point in getting upset. So from now on I will just ignore and skip over your posts and recognize them for what they are.
The Air Supply of IORR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 18:51 by FrankM.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 24, 2013 19:15

FrankM
The band is certainly not above criticism but what sense does it make to hang out here if all you do is whine and complain? Do you just need attention that you can't get elswhere in your life? Or perhaps your own band is so shitty that it is envy of The Stones that is driving all this negativity?

I won't speak for James, but that is clearly the reason for my negativity. I'm very insecure and immature and I do need attention. Lots and lots of it. thanks for understanding.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 24, 2013 19:21

IMO the golden era is 1975-now.

Date: April 24, 2013 19:49

virgil
Some Girls is not a great Album.

It does have one great song on it: When The Whip Comes Down. Now, the Some Girls bonus tracks IS a Grrreat Stones album!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 24, 2013 21:13

donvis
No Security 1999 Tour was my favorite tour!

This opinion is popular with me also.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 24, 2013 21:46

roby
IMO the golden era is 1975-now.

I love the surgical precision with this one.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 24, 2013 22:02

The Sons of The Beatles is a great idea.

Date: April 24, 2013 22:03

BlackHat
The Sons of The Beatles is a great idea.

I think most people would agree with that.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 25, 2013 01:24

FrankM

But you are right that I shouldn't pay that much attention to you. It's kind of like driving down the road and listening to the radio. You hear Air Supply come on and you just change the station. No point in getting upset. So from now on I will just ignore and skip over your posts and recognize them for what they are.
The Air Supply of IORR.

Frank, that was legitimately funny!
As for my band, it's a lot better now than it was a year ago.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 25, 2013 01:51

Charlie ain't all that. Ringo is much better.

Bill Wyman is probaly the most boring bass player I've ever heard.

Voodoo Lounge is their best album since Taylor left.

Steel Wheels was their best tour.

This website just looks bad.

Keith looks like shite.

Only Mick Taylor can save this band (musically)

Mick has terrible taste in women.

(much more to come)

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 02:59

The Steel Wheels album would have been a great one if Wandering Spirit and Talk is Cheap had not been created prior.

Also... I think when Ronnies hair is super-sized and super spiked, his leads are funkier and a bit smoother too.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 25, 2013 04:18

Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity
I actually like The Rolling Stones quite a bit,
that seems to be a more and more unpopular opinion around here.

That's the smartest thing you have ever said. I guess there is hope for you.

And just another dumb fk, meaningless post, from you... as usual, also getting to be pretty common arund here.

Waaaaah!!!! Poor little boy. Do you still have milk on your chin?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 25, 2013 04:20

It's nice that Keith is playing better and being more focused with less posing on stage....

But come to think of it, I think I liked Keith better when he was drunk off his ass and playing like crap--at least he had some swagger.

Ronnie, too, needs to get back on the Guinness. The guitar section sounds too clean now. It needs some sloppy raunch back in the attack.

I hate it when rock stars stop drinking and drugging.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 25, 2013 07:37

More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

And just another dumb fk, meaningless post, from you... as usual, also getting to be pretty common arund here.

And your streak of dumb fk, meaningless posts, is now at 2112.
I wonder how far can you go without accidently saying something non-dumb fk?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 11:29

Unpopular opinions>?

I think the Stones' studio work since the 80s' is totally underrated, and includes many gems.

Each of the albums from 'Steel Wheels' I think includes excellent stuff and only a minimum of filler

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 11:39

stonehearted
It's nice that Keith is playing better and being more focused with less posing on stage....

But come to think of it, I think I liked Keith better when he was drunk off his ass and playing like crap--at least he had some swagger.

Ronnie, too, needs to get back on the Guinness. The guitar section sounds too clean now. It needs some sloppy raunch back in the attack.

I agree..what happened to rockstars ? They used to drink and party, and wreck the place. That's what rock n roll was all about. Where's the rebellion - is everyone a grandfather nowadays.

I miss Johnny Thunders.

Date: April 25, 2013 22:16

three16
The Steel Wheels album would have been a great one if Wandering Spirit and Talk is Cheap had not been created prior.

Wandering Spirit was released in 1993, which is after 1989 (Steel Wheels), not prior to.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:18

jamesfdouglas
three16

Wandering Spirit was released in 1993, which is after 1989 (Steel Wheels), not prior to.

That's how its done folks...cold hard fact

Date: April 25, 2013 22:19

Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
three16

That's how its done folks...cold hard fact

I hate people who cloud issues with facts.

Date: April 25, 2013 22:21

seitan

I agree..what happened to rockstars ? They used to drink and party, and wreck the place. That's what rock n roll was all about. Where's the rebellion - is everyone a grandfather nowadays.

I understand the average age here is around 80, but I'll let you know something. New music has still been made since 1980. There are still bands out there that are actually younger than The Rolling Stones and their group of peers. They actually make rock music, and of them also actually have a fan base younger than 40. I know that your classic rock radio stations won't play them, which is why I fully understand how most people here aren't aware of musical progression past 1980. Ask your son or grandson to look it up for you, you may like what you hear (though you don't need to mention that here).

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 22:22 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:35

seitan
stonehearted

I miss Johnny Thunders.

They are wrecking our wallets...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:03

i dont find any of these opinions to be "unpopular "at all.

the truth is the stones have been around so long that their fanbase is a catch-all for people whose actual favorite rock band doesnt exist anymore.

the stones are maybe 3rd or 4th on their list but still functioning so they hang out at the stones sites.

you could probably get a more negative reaction by bashing the beatles or bob dylan on this or any stones board than you would from tearing the stones themselves to shreds.the funny thing is a good share of them do not know the simplest things about the band yet they think they're "hardcore" because they visit a website.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:18

Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

You soooo thin skinned. Do you still live at home?
\

Date: April 25, 2013 23:32

More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

You soooo thin skinned. Do you still live at home?
\

Sheesh I though I was done with run on cars when I sold that old ford..... but you rattle on and on and on more than it did.... and you never say anything.... just raraggaety ragettyy cuh cuh ragteyy rgattreyyr running on herp de derp.

Let it go. ignore my posts, do something different, quit bothering me son, and I will ignore your posts.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:38

Whats the matter Max? Seams you can dish it out but can't take it.

Date: April 25, 2013 23:40

lol

Email: Hidden
Date Registered: nineteen hours ago
Last Activity: one minute ago

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:05

Max'sKansasCity
lol

Email: Hidden
Date Registered: nineteen hours ago
Last Activity: one minute ago

Freedom of speech and press. After being on another Rolling Stones message board for many years it was time for a change. I find the information here more detailed and informative. So after being a and reader and watcher for a year or so. I had to join. Sorry that my first post got Maxwell upset. Long live The Stones!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:06

FrankM
jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are....

You don't have to be a musician to hear how they've lost a few steps. Keith can't solo anymore. Charlie's lost that snap.

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band, even for the 1-2 years when they tried to be, they were unsuccessful. The Stones are more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' band, but not a master of any.

How were they unsuccessful? They had a number one hit in the UK with a stirring rendition of Little Red Rooster. The blues players they emulated praised them. If anything the Stones were masters at turning current sounds into pop records.

There's nothing The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands.

Who did better rock/disco? Rod Stewart? I've never heard better Elizabethan pop than Lady Jane. Give me your example of better. What band had better dynamics than JJF/HTW/Brown Sugar? Okay, maybe they weren't the best Reggae band in the world. Or very good at covering the Drifters. But I could name a few cover songs they made their own, or at least equaled the original.

As for my own unpopular opinion, Indian Girl is a great song.

Better Rock-disco - yes, Rod Stewart. Hell KISS did beter with 'I Was Made for Lovin' You'. But yeah, rock-disco-funk. I'd say the Stones never outdid Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire. As for pasty white UK people giving it a go... the #$%&ing Bee Gees OWNED it.

Elizabethan Pop (could this have a gayer name?)... gah! Who the hell made up that term?? If you mean frilly pretentiously-repressed sounding harpsichord-laden drivel, The Beatles outdid the Stones with that psuedo-style. In Fact Both Aftermath and Between the Buttons don't come close to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Not even close.

What band had better dynamics than Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Brown Sugar? Oh, I don't know... maybe The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin??? Add in The Allman Brothers and Jimi Hendrix... with those five there's no need to listen to The Sones ever again.

Maybe someday you will reach the point where you never need to post again lol.

I'm flattered that you can't seem to think about much else here besides me. I don't swing that way though I'm afraid. Good luck in your search.

You don't swing that way? Could've fooled me since you whine and complain like a teenage girl. No, I don't think about you that often but you are somewhat of a peculiarity here. The band is certainly not above criticism but what sense does it make to hang out here if all you do is whine and complain? Do you just need attention that you can't get elswhere in your life? Or perhaps your own band is so shitty that it is envy of The Stones that is driving all this negativity?

The Air Supply of IORR.

Wow Frank, sound as though you're, 'all out of love'.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home