Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

TAKE A LISTEN: Iggy Pop had amazing BLUES band in the sixties: The Prime Movers
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:43

The Prime Movers Blues Band was founded in the summer of 1965 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. If lasted about seven years. James Osterberg, who would later become famous as Iggy Pop, was the drummer. When he joined the Prime Movers Osterberg took the name "Iggy", from his previous band The Iguanas.
At some point (around 1967) Iggy left the band and started his own band The Stooges - rest is history with Iggy, but thats another story...

Michael Erlewine
lead Singer, harmonica

Daniel Erlewine
lead guitar

Robert Sheff (keyboards)
AKA Blue 'Gene' Tyranny

Jack Dawson (bass)

James Osterberg (drums and vocals)
AKA "Iggy Pop"

TAKE A LISTEN:

and here's Iggy on lead vocals:

Re: TAKE A LISTEN: Iggy Pop had amazing BLUES band in the sixties: The Prime Movers
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:48

Dwirty! cool smiley

Re: TAKE A LISTEN: Iggy Pop had amazing BLUES band in the sixties: The Prime Movers
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 02:58

Pretty cool find! Had not heard that stuff before, and I am a big Pop fan from Detroit. Thanks!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 29, 2013 03:52

whitem8, we seem to be in the same groove.

I love Iggy, treasure memories of his early performances and he is one of the few musicians I'd really like to see again...we used to have wonderful conversations.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 04:17

Stonesrule, yes! I think we are kindred spirits. So now you need to tell me how you know Iggy!
I am from Detroit, but moved to Plymouth MI in the late 70's. I was lucky to see Iggy many many times in Michigan, and even flew to Perth Australia (when I was living in Singapore) to see the reformed Stooges. I am a big fan. He did a record signing at School Kids Records, a famous record shop in Ann Arbor (sadly now closed). I met him briefly and he signed a few my albums for me (The Idiot and Zombie Birdhouse). Seemed like a very nice guy, and FUNNY!

So what do you do Stonesrule? Are you in the month of May?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 29, 2013 04:50

I am a professional writer about serious stuff. July 31.

I met Jim (as Iggy is called by his friends in the early seventies when I was working with Elton John/ I kinda befriended him...he was having rough times here and there...Few months later Elton was playing a major concert in Atlanta...we had a night off and I told EJ that Iggy was playing at Richard's, a very nice club at the time.

I suggested to Elton that we rent a gorilla costume (long before GRRRegory) and he should put it on and surprise Iggy on stage. I had not counted on two things -- that the very realistic costume would be hotter than hell -- AND, there I am sitting at a table watching Elton the Gorilla lumber onto the stage when I suddenly realized that Iggy, the band and the audience would have no idea who was in the costume. After the show Jim was quite thrilled to find out Elton was there, sweating like hell, ripping the costume off.

Haven't seen Pop in a long time but when I do it will be like old times...he's that kind of guy. And such a great performer!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home