Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Unpopular opinions you have about The Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:08

GravityBoy
Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
three16
The Steel Wheels album would have been a great one if Wandering Spirit and Talk is Cheap had not been created prior.

Wandering Spirit was released in 1993, which is after 1989 (Steel Wheels), not prior to.

That's how its done folks...cold hard fact

I hate people who cloud issues with facts.

get off his cloud issues

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:09

treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are....

You don't have to be a musician to hear how they've lost a few steps. Keith can't solo anymore. Charlie's lost that snap.

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band, even for the 1-2 years when they tried to be, they were unsuccessful. The Stones are more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' band, but not a master of any.

How were they unsuccessful? They had a number one hit in the UK with a stirring rendition of Little Red Rooster. The blues players they emulated praised them. If anything the Stones were masters at turning current sounds into pop records.

There's nothing The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands.

Who did better rock/disco? Rod Stewart? I've never heard better Elizabethan pop than Lady Jane. Give me your example of better. What band had better dynamics than JJF/HTW/Brown Sugar? Okay, maybe they weren't the best Reggae band in the world. Or very good at covering the Drifters. But I could name a few cover songs they made their own, or at least equaled the original.

As for my own unpopular opinion, Indian Girl is a great song.

Better Rock-disco - yes, Rod Stewart. Hell KISS did beter with 'I Was Made for Lovin' You'. But yeah, rock-disco-funk. I'd say the Stones never outdid Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire. As for pasty white UK people giving it a go... the #$%&ing Bee Gees OWNED it.

Elizabethan Pop (could this have a gayer name?)... gah! Who the hell made up that term?? If you mean frilly pretentiously-repressed sounding harpsichord-laden drivel, The Beatles outdid the Stones with that psuedo-style. In Fact Both Aftermath and Between the Buttons don't come close to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Not even close.

What band had better dynamics than Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Brown Sugar? Oh, I don't know... maybe The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin??? Add in The Allman Brothers and Jimi Hendrix... with those five there's no need to listen to The Sones ever again.

Maybe someday you will reach the point where you never need to post again lol.

I'm flattered that you can't seem to think about much else here besides me. I don't swing that way though I'm afraid. Good luck in your search.

You don't swing that way? Could've fooled me since you whine and complain like a teenage girl. No, I don't think about you that often but you are somewhat of a peculiarity here. The band is certainly not above criticism but what sense does it make to hang out here if all you do is whine and complain? Do you just need attention that you can't get elswhere in your life? Or perhaps your own band is so shitty that it is envy of The Stones that is driving all this negativity?

But you are right that I shouldn't pay that much attention to you. It's kind of like driving down the road and listening to the radio. You hear Air Supply come on and you just change the station. No point in getting upset. So from now on I will just ignore and skip over your posts and recognize them for what they are.
The Air Supply of IORR.

Wow Frank, sound as though you're, 'all out of love'.

I dont see Frank being the one out of love, he is usually pretty upbeat and positive.... it is James and his 100% constant stream of hate towards the Stones that is puzzeling.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:11

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

People who think that they play as well now vs the pre-Vegas years 3) simply don't hear music like a musician and literally cannot tell how bad they are....

You don't have to be a musician to hear how they've lost a few steps. Keith can't solo anymore. Charlie's lost that snap.

The Rolling Stones are not a blues band, even for the 1-2 years when they tried to be, they were unsuccessful. The Stones are more of a 'jack-of-all-trades' band, but not a master of any.

How were they unsuccessful? They had a number one hit in the UK with a stirring rendition of Little Red Rooster. The blues players they emulated praised them. If anything the Stones were masters at turning current sounds into pop records.

There's nothing The Rolling Stones do, or have ever done, that has not been bettered in some way by bands, or members of other bands.

Who did better rock/disco? Rod Stewart? I've never heard better Elizabethan pop than Lady Jane. Give me your example of better. What band had better dynamics than JJF/HTW/Brown Sugar? Okay, maybe they weren't the best Reggae band in the world. Or very good at covering the Drifters. But I could name a few cover songs they made their own, or at least equaled the original.

Better Rock-disco - yes, Rod Stewart. Hell KISS did beter with 'I Was Made for Lovin' You'. But yeah, rock-disco-funk. I'd say the Stones never outdid Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire. As for pasty white UK people giving it a go... the #$%&ing Bee Gees OWNED it.

Elizabethan Pop (could this have a gayer name?)... gah! Who the hell made up that term?? If you mean frilly pretentiously-repressed sounding harpsichord-laden drivel, The Beatles outdid the Stones with that psuedo-style. In Fact Both Aftermath and Between the Buttons don't come close to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Not even close.

What band had better dynamics than Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Brown Sugar? Oh, I don't know... maybe The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin??? Add in The Allman Brothers and Jimi Hendrix... with those five there's no need to listen to The Sones ever again.

I'm flattered that you can't seem to think about much else here besides me. I don't swing that way though I'm afraid. Good luck in your search.

You don't swing that way? Could've fooled me since you whine and complain like a teenage girl. No, I don't think about you that often but you are somewhat of a peculiarity here. The band is certainly not above criticism but what sense does it make to hang out here if all you do is whine and complain? Do you just need attention that you can't get elswhere in your life? Or perhaps your own band is so shitty that it is envy of The Stones that is driving all this negativity?

But you are right that I shouldn't pay that much attention to you. It's kind of like driving down the road and listening to the radio. You hear Air Supply come on and you just change the station. No point in getting upset. So from now on I will just ignore and skip over your posts and recognize them for what they are.
The Air Supply of IORR.

I dont see Frank being the one out of love, he is usually pretty upbeat and positive.... it is James and his 100% constant stream of hate towards the Stones that is puzzeling.

Max, don't tell me you missed the air supply hit single reference. I even put it in quotes!

I think we need to cut Jimmy some slack. After all he is Canadian!

Date: April 26, 2013 02:17

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

The Air Supply of IORR.

Max, don't tell me you missed the air supply hit single reference. I even put it in quotes!

I think we need to cut Jimmy some slack. After all he is Canadian!

Just calling like I see it.

I dont see a lot of good coming from full throttle, 100% unfunny, Stones bashing in every single post... it does get old... at least mix it up... or something.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:26

Alright...

I think that Terrifying and Baby Break it Down are terribly underrated.

Emotional Rescue is an underrated album.

Undercover is a great album, it little left of Stonesy, but it has a smokey, sleezy feel to it.

Chuck is not a bad piano player.

I think Ron Wood has written better stuff than Keith since '92.

There... that's not so hateful and negative.
Shake it up baby!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 26, 2013 02:28

You're too young (or so you keep telling us) to seemingly be this angry.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:30

I'm 39. Not that young.

I think a lot of my anger is misdirected. I founded my band with someone (now 60 years old) who believes that The Rolling Stones are the epitome of all music. Every single conversation about music... it always came back to The Stones. Always. If not The Stones, then something with a direct Stones reference. It drove me nuts.

Since he quit I've have to spend the last few years distancing the band from that Stones sound that plagued us for too long. In the wake of that I started to be objective about them.

It's not unlike being an atheist amongst bible-pounders. It's a long, frustrating road, but someone has to try to be a voice against the blind worshipping and wallet-raping. I don't do it do simply amuse myself. And... I know I'm not alone here.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 02:37 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:32

jamesfdouglas
I'm 39. Not that young.

Damn, you're actually really old. What was all that young talk?

Date: April 26, 2013 02:38

Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
I'm 39. Not that young.

What's that sonny? I can't hear you while I'm stirring my Metamucil.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 26, 2013 02:41

jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
I'm 39. Not that young.

I SAID... SMILE!! DARN YA, SMILE!!! winking smiley

Date: April 26, 2013 02:43

Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
I'm 39. Not that young.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 26, 2013 02:49

jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
I'm 39. Not that young.

grinning smiley THERE YA GO!!!

Ill take 5 of whatever the mahanamahana guy is drinking
and send 2 of those up to GrandPa Jimmy... once ya got it up, keep it up.

smileys with beer

Date: April 26, 2013 02:53

I'm starting to actually feel bad about being such a dick here.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 26, 2013 02:56

jamesfdouglas

Just listen to that mahanamahana song twice daily and you will do fine.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 02:57 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:58

Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas

Just listen to that mahanamahana song twice daily and you will do fine.smileys with beer

Ladie's and Gents - this is why I've always loved Max!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 26, 2013 03:00

jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas

grinning smiley And we love you too ! mahanahana

Date: April 26, 2013 07:00

jamesfdouglas

No, don't worry Jimmy, keeps people distracted from me.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:01

Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas

See what we had here...was a failyah to communicate. This led to some nasty feelings. Fortunately this seems to have subsided.

Unfortunately, it's turned into a bit of a love fest, and that is infinitely worse.

Can't we all just not get along?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 26, 2013 07:09

Come On
Brian Jones were the man that started up the Rolling Stones and their frontman....

yes, like their work with him best & those tunes live on...and on...smileys with beer

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:21

owlbynite
Come On
Brian Jones were the man that started up the Rolling Stones and their frontman....

yes, like their work with him best & those tunes live on...and on...smileys with beer

brian's guitar solo on i want to be your man was genius...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:26

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas

See what we had here...was a failyah to communicate. This led to some nasty feelings. Fortunately this seems to have subsided.

Unfortunately, it's turned into a bit of a love fest, and that is infinitely worse.

Can't we all just not get along?

Ah come on treacles...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:32

The current era Rolling Stones don't play near enough songs from their post-reunification period (1989 until today) in their concerts. That's why fans who got to know them during this era, like me, feel kind of left out.

I don't like it that they don't see themselves as a current band anymore but more as catalogue artists. They could write and record good new songs year in year out but instead, they just rest on their laurels. It's like they have gotten lazy which is also showing somewhat in their last album ABB because the songs on that one are rather under-developed when it comes to the music.

They haven't had a huge worldwide hit since "Start Me Up" because they have basically been an on-again off-again band, a part-time band. Working like that might be a good way to do things for bands like Genesis or Pink Floyd who play more elaborate compositions, but it certainly won't do it for a band like the Stones, for whose music the interplay and interaction of the individual musicians is of utmost importance to the emotional content transported in their songs (read: a blues based rock n roll band).

Solo albums are not the problem here: it's the long time periods when they are not working on new songs - and that includes long tours in which mostly old songs are played.

Like is common among seasoned artists, they have lost their ability to tell the good songs from the turds amongst their new material. That is why gems such as "Jump On Top Of Me", "Under the Radar" and "The Storm" are b-sides and weak stuff such as "Streets Of Love", "I Go Wild" and "Oh No Not You Again" gets heavy medial and concert exposure. But as long as they put out extended versions of their albums and the fans can get all the additional finished songs, that's OK with me.

It's just that the CD reissue of "A Bigger Bang" should have had "Under the Radar" and "Don't Wanna Go Home".

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 26, 2013 13:04

Unpopular opinion: I prefer Stones recorded music, outtakes, and rehearsals to recordings of live performances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 13:06 by swiss.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:30

I still people they are still great live and they say they are too old. I hate that.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:47

My opinion: There is nothing like seeing and hearing the Stones LIVE...especially non-stadium shows.

Those vivid memories stay with me.

I understand those who live and die by their video collections...fine by me.

BUT seeing the band live do a great show with an eager audience is mind-blowing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 18:49 by stonesrule.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:57

stonesrule
My opinion: There is nothing like seeing and hearing the Stones LIVE...especially non-stadium shows.

This isn't an unpopular opinion. smiling smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:08

Suussshhh!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:40

His Majesty, I was simply responding to Rockinjive's post.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:48

They play too loud in concert. It literally hurts my ears. They should cut the volume down 25% and it would sound much better.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2013 19:51

Duane in Houston
They play too loud in concert. It literally hurts my ears. They should cut the volume down 25% and it would sound much better.

Then you should have seen them at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home