Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 26 of 30
Re: High Priced Tickets not Selling
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 6, 2013 17:22

Lefsetz at it some more:

Clueless Stones
The Rolling Stones – 50 & Counting Opening Night – Los Angeles Staples…

Utterly LAUGHABLE!

And this is the OFFICIAL CHANNEL!

Is someone brain dead there? It’s almost impossible to watch this video and have a desire to go, talk about revealing the clueless men behind the curtain.

This is the Stones. A band that can’t even play “The Last Time” as well as you did in middle school.

In case you’ve been buried in a hole, the Stones got rid of all those high-priced seats by blowing them out for $85. Four digits worth.

Doubt me?

Just read these tweets from Wes Brodsky (@WesBrodsky):

[twitter.com]

That pic is stunning.

Then again, that’s how it used to be, back when concert tickets cost 3, 4 and 5 dollars. Before greed turned everybody into a bottom-fisher.

In other words, these people would have gone for a reasonable price, they wanted to attend, but not for $600.

Meanwhile, they couldn’t even bake in the fees?

I mean even the Eagles, who broke the triple digit ducat figure, don’t have the chutzpah to charge extra, they include the fees in the ticket price.

But the dirty little secret is the twenty seven to forty bucks in fees are promoter profit.

In other words, the Stones are not part of the solution, but part of the PROBLEM!

And is anybody really gonna pay $600 for a ticket after this? Or are they just gonna wait for the bargain? This is how Ron Johnson lost his job running J.C. Penney, by trying to turn a second-rate brand based on discounts into his previous employer, Apple.

But even Apple doesn’t insult you with prices this high.

Yup, you can see the Stones or buy an iPad, which will give you years of functionality, well, at least until the Cupertino company supersedes the model you’ve got, unlike the Stones, who’ve been playing the same old songs for decades.

And I got this interesting e-mail from a scalper:

Re: Stones Tickets

Bob:

A few observations from my brother-in-law at Circle City Tickets, in Indianapolis.

Brad,

He’s right on everything about how the markets work and that eventually people just say screw it I’m not going.

With social media if people are thinking that way it only takes a short time to get a “tipping point” where virtually no one new is going and the sales just stop. You’ll always have the die-hards that will find a way to go no matter what but after that a lot of people only go so as not to be out of the loop socially.

Thanks for forwarding.

Mike

Mike Peduto
Circle City Tickets

Yup, resellers know the game better than the Stones!

But come on, if the above video isn’t taken down by time you read this, I’d be stunned.

There’s no energy. The crowd looks like a parody of the seventies. The band is so thin they make Gwen Stefani look fat, and she looks like she stepped onto the set of “Cocoon,” and she sucks besides…well, she adds nothing. Why didn’t the band get someone their own age? It’s not like the audience cares about Stefani, maybe only the press. Where was Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy? Fergie worked on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame special because that was made for everybody, for HBO, not fans.

So if anybody who was at this show says it was great, they’re lying. Because we have evidence. This horrible video.

The Stones shouldn’t have gone out at all.

They’re a laughingstock.

Video may have killed the radio star, but social media and the Internet put a stake in the heart of the Rolling Stones, who should have quit while they were ahead, kept their money and stayed home.

They’re an insult to history.

They rehearsed?

Paul McCartney is better in his SLEEP!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:38

That guy's getting a bit excessive, no? The LA show looked rather good based on the vids...

gotdablouse
You think they're being sheltered of the news of the financial fiasco at play? Not Mick surely? BTW did he make any indirect comments last night about ticket prices like he did again in LA the other day? That could be a sign...

It was more "subtle" as I saw in the SFweekly review here [blogs.sfweekly.com] that he said "How many people are actually from Oakland?"...toned it down a bit, eh ;-)

Re: Rolling Stones face pay cut...drinking smiley The Guardian...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:23

andrewt
GRNRBITW
i'm sure chuck leavell is gonna be blamed for this...so sad.

Why sad? Don't be sad.

Andrew, that response absolutely has to be acknowledged. I think even StonesTod, wherever he may be, would have enjoyed that.

It requires an absolutely sharp 'eye on the ball' following the thread VERY closely.

Brilliant Andrew...thank you for your contribution!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:27

RE [blogs.sfweekly.com]

"Overcharge For Imperfection"?
Sounds like a great title for a boot.

Jap boot label press release :
"After "Heading For An Overload" (1973 radio tapes) comes "Overcharge For Imperfection" : this 2-cd set from DAC/VGP has the May 5 Oakland in perfect audience stereo. Order today! DAC Ichiban!" >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 20:30 by dcba.

Date: May 6, 2013 20:41

treaclefingers
andrewt
GRNRBITW

Why sad? Don't be sad.

Andrew, that response absolutely has to be acknowledged. I think even StonesTod, wherever he may be, would have enjoyed that.

It requires an absolutely sharp 'eye on the ball' following the thread VERY closely.

smileys with beer

Date: May 6, 2013 21:26

Good points Paulywaul. Get this, my son is taking his girlfriend to hyde park, (to hang outside!) they can,t afford tickets. He reckons picking up on the vibe will be good enough. Glad i bought him tickets for the who or his birthday, and he will always have the stones in lisbon to remember!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:44

andrewt
Lefsetz at it some more:

Clueless Stones
The Rolling Stones – 50 & Counting Opening Night – Los Angeles Staples…

Utterly LAUGHABLE!

And this is the OFFICIAL CHANNEL!

Is someone brain dead there? It’s almost impossible to watch this video and have a desire to go, talk about revealing the clueless men behind the curtain.

This is the Stones. A band that can’t even play “The Last Time” as well as you did in middle school.

In case you’ve been buried in a hole, the Stones got rid of all those high-priced seats by blowing them out for $85. Four digits worth.

Doubt me?

Just read these tweets from Wes Brodsky (@WesBrodsky):

[twitter.com]

That pic is stunning.

Then again, that’s how it used to be, back when concert tickets cost 3, 4 and 5 dollars. Before greed turned everybody into a bottom-fisher.

In other words, these people would have gone for a reasonable price, they wanted to attend, but not for $600.

Meanwhile, they couldn’t even bake in the fees?

I mean even the Eagles, who broke the triple digit ducat figure, don’t have the chutzpah to charge extra, they include the fees in the ticket price.

But the dirty little secret is the twenty seven to forty bucks in fees are promoter profit.

In other words, the Stones are not part of the solution, but part of the PROBLEM!

And is anybody really gonna pay $600 for a ticket after this? Or are they just gonna wait for the bargain? This is how Ron Johnson lost his job running J.C. Penney, by trying to turn a second-rate brand based on discounts into his previous employer, Apple.

But even Apple doesn’t insult you with prices this high.

Yup, you can see the Stones or buy an iPad, which will give you years of functionality, well, at least until the Cupertino company supersedes the model you’ve got, unlike the Stones, who’ve been playing the same old songs for decades.

And I got this interesting e-mail from a scalper:

Re: Stones Tickets

Bob:

A few observations from my brother-in-law at Circle City Tickets, in Indianapolis.

Brad,

He’s right on everything about how the markets work and that eventually people just say screw it I’m not going.

With social media if people are thinking that way it only takes a short time to get a “tipping point” where virtually no one new is going and the sales just stop. You’ll always have the die-hards that will find a way to go no matter what but after that a lot of people only go so as not to be out of the loop socially.

Thanks for forwarding.

Mike

Mike Peduto
Circle City Tickets

Yup, resellers know the game better than the Stones!

But come on, if the above video isn’t taken down by time you read this, I’d be stunned.

There’s no energy. The crowd looks like a parody of the seventies. The band is so thin they make Gwen Stefani look fat, and she looks like she stepped onto the set of “Cocoon,” and she sucks besides…well, she adds nothing. Why didn’t the band get someone their own age? It’s not like the audience cares about Stefani, maybe only the press. Where was Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy? Fergie worked on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame special because that was made for everybody, for HBO, not fans.

So if anybody who was at this show says it was great, they’re lying. Because we have evidence. This horrible video.

The Stones shouldn’t have gone out at all.

They’re a laughingstock.

Video may have killed the radio star, but social media and the Internet put a stake in the heart of the Rolling Stones, who should have quit while they were ahead, kept their money and stayed home.

They’re an insult to history.

They rehearsed?

Paul McCartney is better in his SLEEP!

oh my god, people are saying bad things about the stones,and this time its really serious cause they're using TWITTER..oooo thats big time, gonna be the end of the band for sure.
they really did it now,the prices are too high and.. and.. well people are saying they are old even.

this is comedy.people not even realising how funny they look spending their energy thinking about the stones,talking about the stones,worrying about the stones ticket prices,the stones playing,how the stones look,who the stones have onstage with them,how full the arena was at the stones show.my favorite was the beatle freak at the end,"paul is better man"...

ok maybe this one is better...

"social media and the internet put a stake in the heart of the rolling stones"

yup that must be it..beause if they didnt have the internet and twitter nobody wouldve ever figured that the prices are too high and the band doesnt always play well.
i wish i couldve went online and had someone let me know that the $500 i spent in 94 was alot or that the show i saw in cleveland in 78 where the band played so poorly that for a second i thought it was a goof and the real stones were gonna come out later.good thing the 80,000 people that were there never told anyone,we've all been keeping it a secret for years now.

having dead bodies carried out of a show didnt end the stones but they've really done it now people...fukcing spare me

Date: May 7, 2013 00:16

andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
GRNRBITW

Why sad? Don't be sad.

smileys with beer

They look like Molson's...or Sleeman's Honey Brown...emoticons too small to tell!

Date: May 7, 2013 03:36

treaclefingers
andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
GRNRBITW

Why sad? Don't be sad.

smileys with beer

They look like Molson's...or Sleeman's Honey Brown...emoticons too small to tell!

Those are the 12 dollar beer specials at the Stones show.
Mmmm Sleemans.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:43

andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
GRNRBITW

Why sad? Don't be sad.

smileys with beer

Mmmm Sleemans.

I think I payed $10 or $12 for a beer at Skydome, err Rogers Centre, on the last tour. $20 for this tour, or is ACC cheaper? Can't get Sleeman's here, but drinking a Molson Golden right now.

Date: May 7, 2013 03:49

buffalo7478
andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
GRNRBITW

Why sad? Don't be sad.

smileys with beer

Mmmm Sleemans.

I think I payed $10 or $12 for a beer at Skydome, err Rogers Centre, on the last tour. $20 for this tour, or is ACC cheaper? Can't get Sleeman's here, but drinking a Molson Golden right now.

No ACC is a total rip off. 20 bucks for the "large".
Speaking of the ACC the Leafs are shtting the bed against the Bruins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 03:55 by andrewt.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:22

I've seen the Stones 15 times but only once prior to 1989. I saw the show in Brooklyn in December and the band played great I do not understand the critisism about the bands playing. Ticket prices yes but the band is playing well. The show I saw in Brooklyn may have been the best that I've seen the band. jagger is in top form Keith and Ronnie better than they have been for a while and they have been playing well so far on this tour.

Date: May 7, 2013 04:37

buffalo7478
andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
GRNRBITW

Why sad? Don't be sad.

smileys with beer

Mmmm Sleemans.

mmmm....Sleemans Honey Brown....mmmm

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 07:07

slew
I've seen the Stones 15 times but only once prior to 1989. I saw the show in Brooklyn in December and the band played great I do not understand the critisism about the bands playing. Ticket prices yes but the band is playing well. The show I saw in Brooklyn may have been the best that I've seen the band. jagger is in top form Keith and Ronnie better than they have been for a while and they have been playing well so far on this tour.

Right on!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2013 07:33

I want to defend the band as they are playing very well for their age, but he makes many great points. The bad vibe is there outside of us fans. Casual fans are not going. Furthermore the prices have deterred many dedicated fans, myself included prior to the lottery tickets. Even then I am not sure what will happen. The experience now becomes a gamble or a financial liability. Mortgage or decent seats.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:46

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 7, 2013 10:40

[www.byzegut.fr]

The Rolling Stones, la misère relative.

The Rolling Stones soldent ses places pour remplir la tournée US. Le 3 mai dernier, le groupe a dû baisser le prix des billets les plus élevés ($600) afin de remplir le Staples Center à Los Angeles, certains ont donc eu la chance d'acquérir leurs places pour $85.
Selon The Guardian, le groupe devrait aussi revoir à la baisse son cachet car beaucoup de dates restent encore à remplir : "c'est un désastre, c'est trop cher, et le concert est décevant.…c'est la pire façon de quitter la scène....".

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2013 13:23

Zegut was very vocal about the prices last year, so he's actually being pretty "mild" I find.

Rehashing The Guardian stuff...I'm still not sure where they get the idea that they'll have to cut their paycheck, besides the guarantee is not $20 million, that's the line of credit, but $80 million. What's more likely is that they're not getting any "upside" (the 50/50 part they split with the promoter above a certainl level as explained on MSNBC the other day).

So when are the first gross numbers coming out? $170 is sill higher than the top price for most anyone out there, right, people like The Who and Fleetwood Mac at least.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:28

flacnvinyl
I want to defend the band as they are playing very well for their age.

the qualifier is the kicker here, right? in 30 years i can see folks asking who else at 100 years old plays better than the stones. loyalty is cool...up to a point....

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:48

Exactly. I will always be a fan but I try to temper my feelings with wisdom. We have all seen better Stones shows for 1/4 the current price. This time around they are not really thanking their fans. Not even with the setlist.

Insane pricing + stale setlist = screw the fans

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:51

flacnvinyl
Exactly. I will always be a fan but I try to temper my feelings with wisdom. We have all seen better Stones shows for 1/4 the current price. This time around they are not really thanking their fans. Not even with the setlist.

i hate to present math problems on a tuesday, but i've seen the stones play 18x better at 1/15th the price of the top tier tix. that means that this tour is 270 times worse. the math doesn't lie.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 7, 2013 20:24

GRNRBITW
flacnvinyl

i hate to present math problems on a tuesday, but i've seen the stones play 18x better at 1/15th the price of the top tier tix. that means that this tour is 270 times worse. the math doesn't lie.

Yeah but your both forgetting the age derating factor in your equations so both of your value numbers will be inflated.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:13

I like that phrase..seeing the Stones is either a gamblle or a financial liability. You've help me decide! I won't pay the $600 nthis time. If I am lucky enough to go in with someone who has an $85 pair, so be it.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:45

Just what I thought, maybe by the time they get to Europe the prices will be lower.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:04

shattered
Just what I thought, maybe by the time they get to Europe the prices will be lower.

So far, all we're getting in Europe is an appearance at Glastonbury (which doesn't really count because they're one of a zillion bands performing at a huge festival), and the two Hyde Park shows. The two Hyde Park shows were priced much more reasonably in my opinion, if you discount all the nonsensical VIP package stuff, fine wining and dining with a crap (i.e. distant) view of the stage and so on. It appears as if the majority of tickets by far (total capacity of the Hyde Park site is quoted as 65,000) cost £95 ($150), and then a relatively small number (probably not much more than a few hundred of each) of tier 2 and tier 1 tickets cost £199 ($310) and £299 ($470) respectively ... there was also an opportunity to pay an extra £100 ($150) for tiers 1 & 2 for a backstage bar facility.

Difficult to speculate what prices would've been like if they'd elected to do arenas, but do we have any reason to think that they'd have been any less than in the States ? I certainly don't think so. I hate to say it, but I think that the Brits (and other Europeans) in general were somewhat less offended by the ticket prices back in November/December 2012 than were most Americans. My own observations of reading innumerable posts on IORR was that on the European side of the Atlantic, there was the usual outcry at first, but then the customary complacency set in and people simply coughed up the money. In the States, I think the outcry was every bit as loud, but MORE people actually voted with their feet - so to say. But that was THEN, and what is happening NOW is that the trickle of Americans that were prepared to vote with their feet back in late 2012 has now turned into something more akin to a flood in the spring of 2013, and THAT is why we're seeing what we're seeing.

Wonder what the RS think about all this (if anything), and for that matter ........ what the future holds in the way of live performances after 13th July 2013 ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:32

I overpaid for Stones tickets, but got this community out of the deal... I call that fair dinkum!! grinning smiley

"Just a poor girl in a rich man's house" * Rockin' in Nashville, TN!

Date: May 8, 2013 20:10

Latest from Ticketmaster Toronto...
8 seats in the **best*** section and location

Section109
Row13
Seats7 - 14

Yours for only $4,996!

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 8, 2013 21:25

paulywaul
shattered

So far, all we're getting in Europe is an appearance at Glastonbury (which doesn't really count because they're one of a zillion bands performing at a huge festival), and the two Hyde Park shows. The two Hyde Park shows were priced much more reasonably in my opinion, if you discount all the nonsensical VIP package stuff, fine wining and dining with a crap (i.e. distant) view of the stage and so on. It appears as if the majority of tickets by far (total capacity of the Hyde Park site is quoted as 65,000) cost £95 ($150), and then a relatively small number (probably not much more than a few hundred of each) of tier 2 and tier 1 tickets cost £199 ($310) and £299 ($470) respectively ... there was also an opportunity to pay an extra £100 ($150) for tiers 1 & 2 for a backstage bar facility.

Difficult to speculate what prices would've been like if they'd elected to do arenas, but do we have any reason to think that they'd have been any less than in the States ? I certainly don't think so. I hate to say it, but I think that the Brits (and other Europeans) in general were somewhat less offended by the ticket prices back in November/December 2012 than were most Americans. My own observations of reading innumerable posts on IORR was that on the European side of the Atlantic, there was the usual outcry at first, but then the customary complacency set in and people simply coughed up the money. In the States, I think the outcry was every bit as loud, but MORE people actually voted with their feet - so to say. But that was THEN, and what is happening NOW is that the trickle of Americans that were prepared to vote with their feet back in late 2012 has now turned into something more akin to a flood in the spring of 2013, and THAT is why we're seeing what we're seeing.

Wonder what the RS think about all this (if anything), and for that matter ........ what the future holds in the way of live performances after 13th July 2013 ?

I think that Hyde Park July 13th will be their last performance.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:40

chriseganstar
paulywaul
shattered

I think that Hyde Park July 13th will be their last performance.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if it indeed it were to be ........ only time will tell

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: May 8, 2013 23:23

Keith in the latest Rolling Stone interview:

"From my point of view, it's like this: We say we want to put a Stones tour together and people come to us with proposals. And these proposals are all basically the same."

"We actually did push down the prices a little bit. We took the lower offer, in other words. But, um, it's the price of the market. I don't really know. I don't have much to do with it other than I would like people to get in, to be able to afford to get in, without sort of starving their babies and all. And that's about it."

Don't worry, we're on it, Keith.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 26 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home