Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 30
Re: High Priced Tickets not Selling
Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:10

If they end up dropping thousands of tickets into rollingstones.com, it's going to be unpleasant showing up at will call. Getting 1000 people in at the last minute is one thing; 5,000 or more could be ugly.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:16

bam
If they end up dropping thousands of tickets into rollingstones.com, it's going to be unpleasant showing up at will call. Getting 1000 people in at the last minute is one thing; 5,000 or more could be ugly.

Maybe they'll just hand them out for free to passersby on the sidewalk. That's how they fill the seats for all those game shows and talk shows on television.

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: April 30, 2013 18:20

JumpinJackOLantern
One small problem: The Stones didn't set the ticket prices. They insisted on lower ticket prices during negotiations, but obviously when you are swimming with sharks, sometimes they get a bigger chunk out of you then you get out of them. It's a cold and brutal ocean out there!
Give me a f---ng break,of course they set the prices,by what they get up front,if they wanted to keep the tickets prices low and accessible they could,have asked for less money or take a % of sales,but won't do it,cause they don't give a shit about the fans,is all about how much more they can put into their bank accounts,like they have so many more years left to enjoy it..Pricks is what they are...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2013 19:18

tatters
bam

Maybe they'll just hand them out for free to passersby on the sidewalk. That's how they fill the seats for all those game shows and talk shows on television.

Skid Row is near by...plenty of homeless people might want to see the show.
Throw in a free hot dog and a beer, and the arena will be packed to the rafters.

Date: April 30, 2013 19:59

Harm
JumpinJackOLantern
One small problem: The Stones didn't set the ticket prices. They insisted on lower ticket prices during negotiations, but obviously when you are swimming with sharks, sometimes they get a bigger chunk out of you then you get out of them. It's a cold and brutal ocean out there!
Jagger: "we want 80.000.000$ but please keep ticket prices low, please"

Don't believe everything you read in print about how much the band is being paid. None of us will ever know the exact figures.

Date: April 30, 2013 20:01

Well at least the Ticket Brokers are going to get caught holding the bag or selling for a loss.

Could not have happened to nicer bunch!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 30, 2013 20:03

Prince had 4 shows scheduled on 2 consecutive nights in Tempe, AZ - tonight and tomorrow night. An early show and a late show. Tickets are $277.

Both late shows have been cancelled due to "changes in production"

Sound familiar?

Prince’s late shows at the Marquee Theatre scheduled for Tuesday, April 30, and Wednesday, May 1, have been canceled because of changes in production.

The early show on each night is still happening. Doors are at 6:30 p.m. with the concert beginning at 8 p.m.

Tickets for the late shows will be honored at the early shows. If ticket buyers holding tickets to the late shows can’t attend the early shows, full refunds are available at point of purchase.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 30, 2013 20:04

jumpontopofmebaby
Well at least the Ticket Brokers are going to get caught holding the bag or selling for a loss.

Just noticed for the first time today that Tickets on StubHub for lower level club access seats are now going for below face value....

Date: April 30, 2013 20:08

Maybe they could team up with Taco Bell or something.

You know...bring in your ticket stub after the concert and get a free TACO!!!!

Anything!

Or $10 off your first $25 beer at the show!

Date: April 30, 2013 20:22

TMONTANA
JumpinJackOLantern
Give me a f---ng break,of course they set the prices,by what they get up front,if they wanted to keep the tickets prices low and accessible they could,have asked for less money or take a % of sales,but won't do it,cause they don't give a shit about the fans,is all about how much more they can put into their bank accounts,like they have so many more years left to enjoy it..Pricks is what they are...

So if the Stones had asked for significantly less the promoters and scalpers would have suddenly become charitable? Not likely.

There is one possible scenario that I don't think has been mentioned. It is possible that the Stones and the promoters agreed to set ticket prices so high in an effort to discourage the scalpers from raiding the cupboard. The end result would be many tickets being sold at reduced prices or even given away on or near the day of the concert.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 20:28

Setlist for the tour:

This Place Is Empty Now (Cover of Burt Bacherach/Elvis Costello version)
Running On Empty (cover of Jackson Brown, Ronnie on Peddle Steel)
Big Empty (STP Cover, with Scott Weiland guesting)
Empty Spaces (Pink Floyd Cover)
Empty (with Ray Montagne guesting)

Or they will do what other bands have done (and I did when I promoted shows) and suddenly drop prices and do massive giveaways to fill seats. Then still announce a sellout even though there are still empty seats.

The Stones and their promoter deserve to be embarrassed by empty seats.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 30, 2013 20:39

The Stones need to do a promo video and just apologize. Heck, AEG could apologize and the Stones could just say 'yeah, glad you did that'. Then after the apology video, make the seats like so...

$1000 - pit tickets, done. Its exclusive, fine.
$500 - best 25% of the seats
$300 - 'most' of the seats in the venue
$175 - good upper deck
$100 - nose bleeds
$85 - 1000 for every show

THAT IS IT. Problem solved.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 30, 2013 20:55

flacnvinyl
The Stones need to do a promo video and just apologize. Heck, AEG could apologize and the Stones could just say 'yeah, glad you did that'. Then after the apology video, make the seats like so...

$175 - good upper deck
$100 - nose bleeds

Yeah well this is all well and good, but the trouble is that you're thinking like a sensible person. What you've completely overlooked is the fact that AEG are a shower of f***ing idiots .........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: April 30, 2013 20:55

tatters
JumpinJackOLantern

The only thing they insisted upon was that they be paid $4.5 million per show. That means $300 of every ticket (whether it gets sold or not) has to go directly to the band. The promoter is actually losing money on every ticket that gets sold for under $300.

It's the promoters job to know the market. They are not in business to lose money. If they miscalculated then that's their problem. And don't assume everything you read or hear about what the band is getting paid to be accurate. Suppose the Stones would have agreed to half of what you listed here. Do you suppose that would have resulted in significantly lower ticket prices? I doubt it. It appears the promoters just miscalculated, unless they have some secret agreement with the band to set ticket prices so high in an effort to block out the scalpers. Then they could give large blocks of high priced tickets to the fans at significantly reduced rates or for free on the day of the concert. Of course if that's the case we will be hearing about it from the band, that's for sure.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 30, 2013 21:07

Really wondering why they chose to play 3 shows in Chicago as sales at Soldier Field were terrible in 2006, leading to a half empty stadium.

Date: April 30, 2013 21:09

What ever they do in the end to dump tickets at reduced rates will make the guys like me that paid full price $622 feel cheated.

Lose / Lose at this point.

Date: April 30, 2013 21:18

Soldier Field was great and a sell out the first time they played there on the Bigger Bang Tour. It was the "Victory Lap" show that did not sell.

Same show just about 1 year later.

But I agree they were too quick in adding the 3rd show this time. One positive thing is there is still a month to promote / sell tickets.

And maybe if they blow the roof of the United Center the first two shows they might get some repeat customers for the 3rd show.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 30, 2013 21:44

I feel sorry for fans who paid big bucks for hopefully best seats or tongue pit.
I don't feel sorry for the Scalpers who bought $600 + tix,and letting them go for less than face value.

I just felt as soon as these tix prices came out,that it was too much and gonna get half filled arena's.

Scalpers,obviously were still buying ,but not nearly as much.

They just had to go down the road of $85 tix drops now and again.

Whether it was a planned thing by AEG as a fallback if sales were bad,I doubt ,'cos they have proved to be a shower of sh*t in their organization of tix sales.

Fans who held back in buying early are going to reap the benefits of hanging on to nearer the date of the gig.
Good luck to you all out there. winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 30, 2013 23:51

Great that the high priced tickets wont sell.
Not strange, is it.

Jeroen

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 1, 2013 00:07

People have been saying the same thing about tours "not selling" for as long as I can remember--back to '94. Yet they always seem to break all kinds of records and do just fine. No half-empty arenas. Maybe a few less than sold-out stadiums but that's to be expected.

They've been in this business for 50 years. I think they know what they're doing by now. They're not stupid.

Date: May 1, 2013 00:48

Take a few minutes and check out how many tickets that are good seats are still available for all shows.

They blew it this time.

Whoever they is.

I can buy better seats RIGHT NOW than what I have for the same price....sucks.

And when they start discounting prices to dump the remainding tickets it is a slap in

the face to a die hard Stones fan that did not like it but paid the high price to see

them for the 18th time. Was not going to miss them.

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:03

flacnvinyl

$175 - good upper deck
$100 - nose bleeds

I agree with you in principal ... but I'm not sure that leaves much margin for error to make a profit, and little upside. Let's ignore revenue from merch/concessions; and costs for venue, and assume they need to make the reported $5 mill per show in ticket sales. For example:

450 x $1000 = 0.45 mill
4000 x $500 = 2 mill
8000 x $300 = 2.4 mill
2000 x $175 = 0.35 mill
1000ea x $100/$85 = 0.185 mill
16450 tickets = 5.385 mill

I'm not sure of venue capacities, checking Billboard boxscore, typical arenas seem to hold ~15k for concerts if they don't make the whole floor GA. I decided to be generous above.

You can work the current prices any way you want, but with what I think are some reasonable numbers, I can get them close to $5 mill if the split is say 5k x $600 / 5k x $85 / 5k x rest. If they were able to sell 9k x $600, and only have to sell 1k x $85 ... then they can start to make a decent profit. And without potential for profit, why take the tour on?

I'd say AEG are banking on selling at least enough at VIP/$600 to go close to breaking even. If they don't sell everything, then so be it. Dump them for $85 and hope everyone buys lots of beer. I don't think they can make any profit per show unless they sell a large % of tickets beyond $500. Setting the majority of tickets below $300 is just not going to make the promoters any money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 01:04 by Alfonz.

Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:32

jumpontopofmebaby
Take a few minutes and check out how many tickets that are good seats are still available for all shows.

They blew it this time.

Whoever they is.

I can buy better seats RIGHT NOW than what I have for the same price....sucks.

And when they start discounting prices to dump the remainding tickets it is a slap in

the face to a die hard Stones fan that did not like it but paid the high price to see

them for the 18th time. Was not going to miss them.

Several people on another board have called the T'master Customer
Service and exchanged their tickets for better locations at the same price.
You might want to try it!
If you don't succeed with the first Rep, call back and plead your case to another
Rep. According to several, it had worked!
Good Luck!

Posted by: RocksOff714 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:52

The Stones Split Money 4 ways and pay the side men . McCartney and Springsteen make a Chunk of money for themselves and then pay off the backing band .

Crash Landed In A Louisiana Swamp

Date: May 1, 2013 02:19

jumpontopofmebaby

Considering the face value of the tickets, I'm surprised any brokers bothered with this tour at all. They didn't make any money in Nov/Dec did they?

Date: May 1, 2013 02:24

JumpinJackOLantern
TMONTANA
JumpinJackOLantern

So if the Stones had asked for significantly less the promoters and scalpers would have suddenly become charitable? Not likely.

There is one possible scenario that I don't think has been mentioned. It is possible that the Stones and the promoters agreed to set ticket prices so high in an effort to discourage the scalpers from raiding the cupboard. The end result would be many tickets being sold at reduced prices or even given away on or near the day of the concert.

Why would a promoter think that was a good idea?

Date: May 1, 2013 02:28

JumpinJackOLantern
tatters
JumpinJackOLantern

The only thing they insisted upon was that they be paid $4.5 million per show. That means $300 of every ticket (whether it gets sold or not) has to go directly to the band. The promoter is actually losing money on every ticket that gets sold for under $300.

It's the promoters job to know the market. They are not in business to lose money. If they miscalculated then that's their problem. And don't assume everything you read or hear about what the band is getting paid to be accurate. Suppose the Stones would have agreed to half of what you listed here. Do you suppose that would have resulted in significantly lower ticket prices?

Yes, and if they ever plan on doing any more shows beyond this summer, they will have to accept less, perhaps just a measly $2 million per show, because no promoter is going to let them pull this shit ever again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 02:44 by tatters.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: May 1, 2013 02:32

ZantiMisfit
People have been saying the same thing about tours "not selling" for as long as I can remember--back to '94. Yet they always seem to break all kinds of records and do just fine. No half-empty arenas. Maybe a few less than sold-out stadiums but that's to be expected.

They've been in this business for 50 years. I think they know what they're doing by now. They're not stupid.

Okay...the Stones aren't stupid, you're right, they get their money up front, regardless of how many tix are sold to a show.

OTOH, I was at Gillette Stadium/Foxboro-Boston in September 2006, with 30,000 empty seats, and owner of a $22.50 reduced price face value ticket bought from TM, the price reduced because the show had tanked at the box office. There were a lot of those type of crowds in 2006, it was not an isolated event.

Date: May 1, 2013 02:39

uhbuhgullayew
Really wondering why they chose to play 3 shows in Chicago as sales at Soldier Field were terrible in 2006, leading to a half empty stadium.

I guess they figured that since it's the only midwestern city they're playing, they'd have people coming from 1,000 miles away in every direction to be there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 02:40 by tatters.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 1, 2013 02:54

RocksOff714
The Stones Split Money 4 ways and pay the side men . McCartney and Springsteen make a Chunk of money for themselves and then pay off the backing band .
Springsteen's guarantee is only $1 million per show and he pays backing band and other expenses from that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2226
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home