Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Glastonbury UK June 29 Rolling Stones show planning
Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:04

The Rolling Stones at Glastonbury 2013: Who will join them on stage?

[www.digitalspy.ca]

Will David Bowie Play A Secret Set At This Year's Festival? The Bookies Think So...

[www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

Date: June 26, 2013 21:06

Bookies William Hill are offering different odds on star performers, with the most likely being Jeff Beck, currently on tour in the UK, at odds of 4/7. The Boss Bruce Springsteen is similarly well placed to appear, with odds of 11/10. Bowie is an outside hope of sharing the stage with Sir Mick, possibly to reprise their 1985 hit 'Dancing in the Street'. Odds of this star pairing sharing a mike are 10/1.

However, they evidently feel it's more likely that Bowie will appear for his own set, with odds of 6/1, following the enigmatic icon's recent surprise album release.

"Every festival around the world this year have been plagued by rumours that Bowie will play a secret set and with odds of 6/1, it looks likely that he may wait for the biggest stage of all, Glastonbury, to do so," said William Hill spokesman Joe Crilly.

[www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

Posted by: mpmternst ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:12

Glastonbury Festival 2013: Music video shows festival from punter's point of view

[www.thisissomerset.co.uk]

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:24

Looks more like a punter's POV of 2011.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:44

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:54

I'm only watching Glastonbury on BBC over here in Spain, but all I want is 4 other great songs to start the show.
The rest of the gig can be anything they fancy playing,but in a different order to what they've been doing,preferably, but it's their call. Just hope they keep to the 2 and a half hours and I will be happy.
winking smiley

Posted by: mpmternst ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:56

CaledonianGonzo
Looks more like a punter's POV of 2011.

Yes, I copied the headline from the film's website. I should have modified it. Sorry about that. This text from the website is better:

"Anyone pining for the green and more often brown fields of Worthy Farm in late June will appreciate this video shot by photographer Jason Bryant.

The film was captured during 2011 and gives a real flavour of the sun, fun and mud at that years Glastonbury Festival."

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 26, 2013 22:03

The going should be a lot less sticky underfoot this year than 2011.

At least, hopefully.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 01:33

CalGonz

I think there's a bit of a consensus that they got the setlist wrong at Isle of Wight in 2007. Too little familiar material - YGMR, Rough Justice, Ain't Too proud To Beg, etc. - and people were getting bored.

That was not the consensus of people who were at the gig. I was there and most people applauded the stones for not playing it safe. People at festivals are music fans, not corporate tourists you get at most stones gigs. The need to play gimme shelter and paint it black but also stuff like MR and CYHMK will go down well.

Date: June 27, 2013 01:39

In fact, the main complaints from the IOW festival were these (made by non or casual stones fans)..

1. They didn't play Gimme Shelter or Paint It Black (these 2 songs are probably the most popular amogst the younger audience)
2. The show was too short.

Check out the original reports as they came in on the night here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2013 01:46

Will this show be televised and shown live or taped? With Stones content? BBC?

Date: June 27, 2013 02:12

Glastonbury is a gig where they don't need a guest apart from Mick Taylor.
He's not a guest, but a Stone.
If. David Bowie did come on stage, that would be great, cos totally unexpected, in my eyes. A bonus for music fans. winking smiley

Posted by: CalGonz ()
Date: June 27, 2013 07:16

sjs12
CalGonz

I think there's a bit of a consensus that they got the setlist wrong at Isle of Wight in 2007. Too little familiar material - YGMR, Rough Justice, Ain't Too proud To Beg, etc. - and people were getting bored.

That was not the consensus of people who were at the gig. I was there and most people applauded the stones for not playing it safe. People at festivals are music fans, not corporate tourists you get at most stones gigs. The need to play gimme shelter and paint it black but also stuff like MR and CYHMK will go down well.

I was there as well, but I've come across sufficient online opinion in the 6 years since to make me pause for thought about it.

The reports coming in at the time that you link to - my own included -are a partisan response and in the cold light of day I'd dial back the enthusiasm a tad. The energy fizzled pretty quickly after a sprightly opening and it only really built again once they started playing the hits at the end of the night.

You can't stop hearsay and rumour, and time has not been kind to general opinion of the gig. I've recently heard it called a car crash and a catastrophe. A lot of people I know have been pretty cynical about the Stones ability to pull this off. I'm more optimistic than that and there's no reason it can't be done - but they're not going to win over the sceptics with the live debut of Ventilator Blues.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 27, 2013 09:48

Why should they need to win over sceptics? True art should not be compromised. Otherwise it becomes showbiz but I guess that's what we're dealing with these days.

Date: June 27, 2013 10:20

CalGonz
sjs12
CalGonz

I was there as well, but I've come across sufficient online opinion in the 6 years since to make me pause for thought about it.

The reports coming in at the time that you link to - my own included -are a partisan response and in the cold light of day I'd dial back the enthusiasm a tad. The energy fizzled pretty quickly after a sprightly opening and it only really built again once they started playing the hits at the end of the night.

You can't stop hearsay and rumour, and time has not been kind to general opinion of the gig. I've recently heard it called a car crash and a catastrophe. A lot of people I know have been pretty cynical about the Stones ability to pull this off. I'm more optimistic than that and there's no reason it can't be done - but they're not going to win over the sceptics with the live debut of Ventilator Blues.

I think if they play their current setlist from this tour with a couple of strategic replacements that will be fine. CYHMK is very popular in the UK and PIB and GS are a must. Wild Horses would be a good one to include as would Angie.

But other than that, and maybe kicking off with something like Satisfaction, I think it's pretty much there.

Date: June 27, 2013 11:14

I think the setlist will be different to the previous gigs. Obviously mostly songs that the audience will know.
I wouldn't mind if they played about 18 war horses and hopefully 6 others, maybe Heard it Through the Grapevine, Under the Boardwalk,and 4 like Out of Control, No Expectations, CYHMK and dare I say, Like a Rolling Stone.
Not sure how Keith's 2 songs will go down, but Mick needs a break half way through the show. The audience will probably love Keith. winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 27, 2013 11:27

It seemingly is going to be a great, great event. I wish I could join the party. It was one of my original intentions to go - just to experience the festival would be interesting, but having the Stones there, oh la la - but getting the tickets was way too much for me.

(I hope the waether will be alright, so that Jagger in his yurt don't get his throat ill, and be able to perform in Hyde Park...)

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 27, 2013 11:46

Right, packed my bags, filled the tank and I'm off down the highway, down the tracks to Avalon and Glastonbury. See you all soon. SD

Date: June 27, 2013 12:12

Have a great time Mike. I'll be glued to BBC from tomorrow onwards here in Spain.
Keep us posted as and when you can. The Weather is gonna be great I'm sure. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 13:28

crawdaddy
Have a great time Mike. I'll be glued to BBC from tomorrow onwards here in Spain.
Keep us posted as and when you can. The Weather is gonna be great I'm sure. >grinning smiley<

Hi crawdaddy,

if you dont mind me asking, where about are you in spain? I am flying out to murcia next week, si that near you?

And are you going to Hyde park?

wont be offended if you do not want to disclose the information.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: June 27, 2013 13:38

hi all,its looks like The Stones are on for an hour on BBC TV,but more importantly BBC radio 2 have a 21.30 to 24.oo slot on Saturday night for the gig.Heres hoping,I will be recording the Radio set.Slainte Pike.

Date: June 27, 2013 13:41

Hi odean73,I'm about half hour drive from Mojacar and Garrucha which are on the coast.Los Higuerales, which is not far from Albox and Arboleas.
Unfortunately will not be back for Hyde Park gigs.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 13:46

quote=crawdaddy]
Hi odean73,I'm about half hour drive from Mojacar and Garrucha which are on the coast.Los Higuerales, which is not far from Albox and Arboleas.
Unfortunately will not be back for Hyde Park gigs.[/quote]

Hi,

Ok, thanks.

Fingers crossed for a great show at glastonbury and have a nice glass of chilled cava, i think thats what i will be doing.smileys with beer

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 15:44

tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 27, 2013 18:54

Is that guy with the beer and toilet, Blondie? winking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 27, 2013 19:19

Glastonbury Festival 2013: Revellers prove they've got the moves like Jagger in Jumping Jack Flashmob

Hundreds of festivalgoers proved they had the moves like Jagger by taking part in a Jumping Jack Flashmob at Glastonbury.

The Jagger Off, arranged by two Rolling Stones fans to celebrate the band's first appearance at the festival, saw crowds of people mimic Sir Mick Jagger's trademark dance moves.

It was held near the Pyramid Stage, where the band will perform their headline set on Saturday night, under the watchful eye of a giant metal phoenix that is perching on top of the structure this year.

A sound system played classic Stones songs including Brown Sugar and Start It Up to about 400 fans.

Organiser James Duke-Evans, 33, from south London, said: "It's gone fantastically well.

"When it got dreamed up late at night we thought it would be funny if 100 people turned up, but 3,500 joined the Facebook group in the end.

"People like to get involved in something that's not scripted and programmed. I've been told some people were looking forward to this more than the festival itself.

"And quite frankly - do you really want to live in a world where things like this don't happen?".

Sir Mick is expected to be on the festival site over the weekend, and is staying nearby with his family.

There is a chance he might even stumble upon the second "Jagger Off", at the silent disco held in the early hours of Saturday morning.

"I would imagine it's on Jagger's radar. I don't think he can avoid it," said Mr Duke-Evans.

"It's a tribute to him. We've watched him for years and I hope he'll be able to watch us if he sees the footage from today."

Many of those performing the moves, which including the "finger waggle" and "squeezing through a narrow doorway", wore Jagger masks as a tribute to their musical hero.

Mark Forrest, 30, from Hackney, east London, had bought masks for all of his friends.

He said: "It's an excellent idea to start off the weekend by dancing to the Rolling Stones.

"I can't wait to see them on Saturday and I'm really excited to see what the phoenix does."

Some 135,000 ticket holders have been making their way on to the site at Worthy Farm, Somerset, since the festival flung open its doors yesterday morning.

Campsites have been filling up quickly as music fans rushed to pitch their tents in the best spots.

They are set to be joined by celebrities, said to include Wayne and Colleen Rooney and Kate Moss, over the coming days.

The main acts play from tomorrow, with other headline acts including The Arctic Monkeys and Mumford & Sons.

[www.independent.co.uk]#

Date: June 27, 2013 19:40

Rolling Stones To Donate Glastonbury Shoes To Charity Auction

[www.looktothestars.org]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 27, 2013 19:56

It was a long way to Glastonbury indeed. Jetlagged from the US travels, I was worried about waking up at 4am. Yesterday I flew into London in the early afternoon, to be at the early hours pick-up point today. It was strange walking through the North Greenwich area just by the O2 arena in the dark at 3am this morning. Me and my backpack. And more fans with backpacks, tents, bags, all collection in sleepy London city.

They said that one guy had travelled all the way from Glastonbury to London, to be on one of our coaches back to Glasto. Others came from Scotland. Well I came from Norway, even if my body felt like coming from USA... Waking up 1am, 1:30am, 2am, 2:30am there was no chance of over-sleeping. I knew catching this coach was the only way I could get the Glasto ticket and see the Stones on Saturday.

There were 6 coaches lined up for the 4am departure. Approx 300 happy fans boarded with all their stuff. The mood was great, average age 25-35. I could have been the father of all of these, and Mick could probably been almost their grandpa. No big drinking, but a true festival mood, even if it was 3am or so. Nobody were late, and everybody was there by departure.

Tickets to be handed out while the coach is on it's way only. If you don't make it then no ticket. No show. To avoid scalping. The ticket has got a passport size photo of me embedded into it, also my full name and address, so it i pretty hard to scalp it anyway. One of the most beautiful tickets I have had in my life. Not really ticketmaster standards.

We were at the festival site at 8:30am, a big, big area of tents, lots of organization, blocked roads and festival goers. Hundreds of coaches arriving, many yesterday, and more coming in all the time, from all over Britain. And lots of cars parked there.

The weather forecast has been good, but this afternoon has brought some rain. They say it will improve by tomorrow, and Saturday will be great. I don't care about the weather. I am all waterproof. Tomorrow some pictures and Bill Wyman!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-27 20:02 by bv.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 27, 2013 20:43

rain then warm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-27 22:19 by tumbled.

Date: June 27, 2013 21:17

Lovely write up of your travels to Glastonbury BV. Have a great time. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home