Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: Glastonbury UK June 29 show planning
Posted by: CalGonz ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:37

crumbling_mice
The only time I've seen a headliner bomb at Glastonbury was Gorillaz and that was down to arrogance and a lack of well known hits. This won;t happen with The Stones.

I don't think they'll bomb, but I don't think it's a given that it'll be a slamdunk either. It's generally reckoned that Springsteen was left in the shade by Blur and Neil Young, while U2 were pretty much trounced by Beyonce and Coldplay's performances (though admittedly the elements were against them). In the last few years Neil Young and Stevie Wonder are the only old geezers that properly delivered.

It'd be a sad day indeed if Mumford & fecking Sons stole a march on 'em.

They've got the catalogue to do it, no doubt, but watching the footage of them doing Gimme Shelter with Lady Gaga last year it's mostly OK but there were still gaping holes where the guitar solos should be.

Mick was effing great, mind.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 13, 2013 13:58

Am I correct in thinking that Primal Scream are on just before the Stones? How's that gonna work then? Gonna end up with thousands of kids thinking the stones copied primal scream's sound.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: April 13, 2013 14:30

Someone entirely different on before the Stones like a big dance or pop act would have suited me better as it would create larger crowd movement and increase the chances of getting close to the stage without having to hang around for ages at the Pyramid.

After Primal Scream, though, everyone's going t stay put, so it's gonna be rammed pretty tight from about halfway through Elvis Costello.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 14:30 by CaledonianGonzo.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 13, 2013 15:15

@#$%& should be happy with that, at least.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 13, 2013 15:53

CaledonianGonzo
Someone entirely different on before the Stones like a big dance or pop act would have suited me better as it would create larger crowd movement and increase the chances of getting close to the stage without having to hang around for ages at the Pyramid.

After Primal Scream, though, everyone's going t stay put, so it's gonna be rammed pretty tight from about halfway through Elvis Costello.

Yep that's my thoughts exactly...I don;t think it is good scheduling at all by having Primal Scream before the Stones. I am too old to be standing in front of the Pyramid for 5 hours to get a decent spot. Maybe they will shuffle things a bit before the day.

Posted by: Arron ()
Date: April 18, 2013 18:40

Completely agree.
Such an important gig. It needs to begin with Start Me Up or Jumpin Jack. Instantly recognisable from the second Keith wonders on and strums the first chord.Everybody singing. The Greatest Rock n Roll band in history have landed on the most iconic stage with a thud (kind of start).

Get off my cloud has been perfect for the last few gigs (and I wanna be your man was humorous and perfect for the first O2 gig) but for the Pyramid Stage... performing to a weary Glasto crowd... it has to be JJF or Start me Up!

The thought of that stage lighting up with that first chord being strum makes me tingle.

I fear they might come on and think it's clever to play a Glasto related cover (like Bruce did in 2009). Please, just use a safe formula! Start Me Up to begin, (let the beast awaken with a bang), Sympathy approx 2 thirds of the way through, with pyrotechnics! (It's been a while). Finish on JJF or Satisfaction.

Rocks Off Should feature if Primal Scream are on first, take the title back.

Got to do a Glasto related cover somewhere through the set though. Can't think what. I liked U2 doing Moving On Up last time as a nod to Primal Scream who clashed with them on the other stage. Don't fancy the Stones doing a Chase and Status cover though... Public Enemy.. maybe?

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: April 20, 2013 12:00

Josef I wrote an email to you.

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: April 20, 2013 12:02

I found all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 00:04 by Mirko.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 21, 2013 12:02

Just got my Glastonbury ticket - a tough one indeed! Final resale of remaining tickets now!

Bjornulf

Date: April 21, 2013 12:45

bv
Just got my Glastonbury ticket - a tough one indeed! Final resale of remaining tickets now!

Nice one - hope to see you there!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 21, 2013 13:36

bv

Well done BV. Now DO be a clever boy and take your essential Glastonbury equipment, the list is as follows:

Waterproof hat
Waterproof T shirt
Waterproof jeans
waterproof socks
waterproof knickers
Waterproof jacket
Waterproof boots
Waterproof torch
waterproof wallet
Waterproof money
Waterproof hotel
Waterproof car
Waterproof matches (to set fire to all those waterproof tents)
Waterproof gasoline (just to make sure the tents actually BURN)
Waterproof dog (very handy for biting non Stones fans)

But you never know, the weather might actually be good on the day ?

No no no no no, silly me, what am I thinking for heavens sake ? This is ENGLAND in the summer after all !! winking smiley

See you in Hyde Park on the 6th & the 13th ...... hot smiley cool smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: riffchards ()
Date: April 21, 2013 13:43

bv

Me too!! See u there smileys with beer

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 21, 2013 14:20

Anyone out there gotta spare? no luck with resale

Date: April 21, 2013 15:09

Monkeytonkman

O noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, was hoping to hear u got lucky in the resale. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Date: April 21, 2013 15:19

Seems to be a few of us IORRers who now have a Glastonbury ticket, here's to a dry festival! I'm hoping to get a good spot on the day, somewhere either just in front of the mixer or in the semicircular area in front of stage. THey don;t always have this but definatly had it for Neil Young and the sound was ok in there.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 21, 2013 16:50

See you there

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: April 21, 2013 17:09

paulywaul
bv

Well done BV. Now DO be a clever boy and take your essential Glastonbury equipment, the list is as follows:

Waterproof hat
Waterproof T shirt
Waterproof jeans
waterproof socks
waterproof knickers
Waterproof jacket
Waterproof boots
Waterproof torch
waterproof wallet
Waterproof money
Waterproof hotel
Waterproof car
Waterproof matches (to set fire to all those waterproof tents)
Waterproof gasoline (just to make sure the tents actually BURN)
Waterproof dog (very handy for biting non Stones fans)

But you never know, the weather might actually be good on the day ?

No no no no no, silly me, what am I thinking for heavens sake ? This is ENGLAND in the summer after all !! winking smiley

See you in Hyde Park on the 6th & the 13th ...... hot smiley cool smiley

Yep, see you in Hyde Park (finally got my BUB refunded, what a nightmare)....Glasto's not for me and Pam I'm afraid. By the way, I'm going to the May 25th Toronto show too....??

Satisfied since 1976

Date: April 21, 2013 18:11

Rain or shine, I don't care. One inch or ten feet of water, I don't care. I will bring a tent and my waterproof gear. Same stuff I had on my last Kilimanjaro trip. Then I had one week of rain from start to finish. When the Stones go on stage I will bring out my unique Stones T-shirt and jacket from a waterproof bag in my backpack, and the sky will be clear while the Stones are on stage. I will also have diving equipment with me, just in case. No PC though...

Bjornulf

Date: April 21, 2013 21:27

paulywaul
Monkeytonkman

O noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, was hoping to hear u got lucky in the resale. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Ta dude. Never know, might turn up in the van n try n snag something if nothing turns up beforehand

\m/

Date: April 21, 2013 22:00

Monkeytonkman
paulywaul
Monkeytonkman

Ta dude. Never know, might turn up in the van n try n snag something if nothing turns up beforehand

\m/

They have road stops all around the site where they stop and check you have the parking ticket...it used to be easy to get in Glasto without tickets, now it is near impossible.

Date: April 21, 2013 22:04

crumbling_mice
Monkeytonkman
paulywaul
Monkeytonkman

\m/

thanks for the heads up.

They have road stops all around the site where they stop and check you have the parking ticket...it used to be easy to get in Glasto without tickets, now it is near impossible.

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: April 21, 2013 22:25

Tried for 2 hours this morning to get a ticket. Got through twice only for the web page shut down half way through applying. Then we had a power cut so no phone or internet. I took this as a sign that it was just not ment to happen.

Date: April 30, 2013 21:22

I have a very reliable associate who works in the business of long range weather forecasting, he has assured me that the UK will have a far better summer than last year and at the moment all the signs are looking good for late June....pray this is true those of you who will be at Glasto!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 24, 2013 22:03

Getting rrrrready for Glastonbury! Have you got your wellies yet? Mine have got a banana print! #StonesGlasto

@GRRRegory

Date: June 24, 2013 22:37

Monkeytonkman
crumbling_mice
Monkeytonkman
paulywaul
Monkeytonkman

\m/

thanks for the heads up.

So have you managed to get yourself a ticket ?

Date: June 24, 2013 23:53

The Glastonbury weather forecast looks good!

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 24, 2013 23:59

I'm going to be hoping the sun will shine and the weekend of great music is to be full of great memories. hot smiley

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: June 25, 2013 15:10

Rain or sun Glastonbury is a wonderful place. The weather looks very very good for this weekend, perfect festival conditions.

Im starting to get excited, I think Saturday night could be a special gig, they'll feed off the crowds energy. I was going anyway before The Stones comfirmed but it really was the cherry ontop when the line up was announced

Date: June 25, 2013 16:14

richie26188
Rain or sun Glastonbury is a wonderful place. The weather looks very very good for this weekend, perfect festival conditions.

Im starting to get excited, I think Saturday night could be a special gig, they'll feed off the crowds energy. I was going anyway before The Stones comfirmed but it really was the cherry ontop when the line up was announced

Me too richie, always go to Glasto and always hope that one year it will be the Stones headlining on the saturday night...it's finally happened, the buzz around the festival onSaturday will be amazing. Usually lots of other smaller bands and DJ sets include songs - remixes of the main band so I expect to hear an awful lot of Rolling Stones music all weekend. Can't wait, just getting things together for a very early set off on THursday morning. If any one wants to meet up to say hi, that would be great.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: June 25, 2013 16:35

Saturday will live long in the memory crumbling mice

The only thing I was worried about was if it rained like it did for U2 in 2011, thankfully it doesnt look like that will be the case. Hard to explain just how good then place is in comparison to any other festival ive been to - the vibe and buzz is on a different level

Really thought The Stones ship had sailed Glastonbury wise thankfully thats not the case. Bowie, Macca, U2 and Bruce have all headlined the only glaring big name missing was The Stones.....and on Saturday night that will be put to bed

The greatest rock and roll band of all time on the iconic pyramid headlining the biggest festival in the world.................does it get any better than that?!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home