Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Glastonbury UK June 29 Rolling Stones show planning
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 26, 2013 09:39

odean73
bv
GATES ARE OPEN - GLASTONBURY AS OF WEDNESDAY JUNE 26, 2013

BILL WYMAN’S RHYTHM KINGS - Acoustic Tent - Friday 18:30 - 19:30
ROLLING STONES - The Pyramid Stage - Saturday 21:30 - 23:45

If bills playing friday, whats the chances of him playing saturday for the main event? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Pretty good I suppose ............ a) IF they ask him b) if he's no longer pissed off with them for only letting him play on two songs back in November 2012, c) about 50,000 assorted reasons

Would be nice to see ......

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:03

crumbling_mice
I'd prefer not to have SMU as the opener, but it is the logical choice for the band. Playing to a mixed audience, needing to open with something everybody knows whilst at the same time not using one of your traditional encore songs. Of course they could turn it on it's head and blast in with Satisfaction - that would have the desired effect, but I do think SMU's lyric is more likely to make it the first choice.

I'm pretty sure we will hear Ruby Tuesday and I'd be surprised if they include CYHMK, although I would love to see/hear this. I'm hoping they don;t play it completely safe and throw in a few gems from the past to appease those hard core Stones fans present.

Whatever the set list I am sure it will be an amazing night which will go down in Glasto folk lore.

I think they will throw in a few surprises. I remember my absolute amazement at Knebworth when they played Little Red Rooster, Route 66, Around & Around, Wild Horses, Let's Spend The Night Together, Stray Cat Blues and Dead Flowers - 7 songs that weren't on the set list of their 75/76 tours.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:33

Silver Dagger
crumbling_mice
I'd prefer not to have SMU as the opener, but it is the logical choice for the band. Playing to a mixed audience, needing to open with something everybody knows whilst at the same time not using one of your traditional encore songs. Of course they could turn it on it's head and blast in with Satisfaction - that would have the desired effect, but I do think SMU's lyric is more likely to make it the first choice.

I'm pretty sure we will hear Ruby Tuesday and I'd be surprised if they include CYHMK, although I would love to see/hear this. I'm hoping they don;t play it completely safe and throw in a few gems from the past to appease those hard core Stones fans present.

Whatever the set list I am sure it will be an amazing night which will go down in Glasto folk lore.

I think they will throw in a few surprises. I remember my absolute amazement at Knebworth when they played Little Red Rooster, Route 66, Around & Around, Wild Horses, Let's Spend The Night Together, Stray Cat Blues and Dead Flowers - 7 songs that weren't on the set list of their 75/76 tours.

SD .......... we want live updates from "our man in Glastonbury" !! You DO realise this we hope ? winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: June 26, 2013 12:38

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
crumbling_mice

SD .......... we want live updates from "our man in Glastonbury" !! You DO realise this we hope ? winking smiley

Hope I still have power in my phone by that point. Might need to text you and you put them up if that's alright. But the first hour will be on BBC, no? And that's the hour that you're likely to get the different songs.

Date: June 26, 2013 12:38

My journalist mate who got me the ticket just said that apparently the Stones have asked for a guest list of 600!

Date: June 26, 2013 12:54

Silver Dagger
My journalist mate who got me the ticket just said that apparently the Stones have asked for a guest list of 600!

My gast is truly flabbered........perhaps Mick will be inviting IORR members as guests!

Date: June 26, 2013 12:56

Manofwealthandtaste
Silver Dagger

My gast is truly flabbered........perhaps Mick will be inviting IORR members as guests!

That's what I've heard. Names are going into Mick's hat as we speak. It could be you. We definitely need to sort out a meeting place for Hyde Park July 6.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 26, 2013 13:51

Wow, what does a guy have to do to get on the guest list?

Posted by: Mattty7619 ()
Date: June 26, 2013 13:51

The Saturday bbc coverage starts at 1030 so obviously not live. Will it be steamed live on the Internet?

Date: June 26, 2013 13:54

The first revellers roll up to Glasto.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 26, 2013 14:15

silver dagger...did you get my emails?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 26, 2013 14:34

Mattty7619
The Saturday bbc coverage starts at 1030 so obviously not live. Will it be steamed live on the Internet?

BBC 3 coverage starts at 7p.m. Maybe live on there. We'll know nearer the day I guess. smoking smiley

Posted by: CalGonz ()
Date: June 26, 2013 14:44

Will be surprised - and annoyed, quite frankly - if they don't open with Get Off Of My Cloud.

In fact, I think they'll stick to the same four-song opening salvo that they've road-tested ocver the past couple of months.

Posted by: Mattty7619 ()
Date: June 26, 2013 14:53

crawdaddy
Mattty7619

BBC 3 coverage starts at 7p.m. Maybe live on there. We'll know nearer the day I guess. smoking smiley

Bbc 3 is for radio1/under 25 audience,no way it's on that channel!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 26, 2013 15:34

CalGonz
Will be surprised - and annoyed, quite frankly - if they don't open with Get Off Of My Cloud.

In fact, I think they'll stick to the same four-song opening salvo that they've road-tested ocver the past couple of months.
I certainly hope they start off with a differant 4 songs than just about every gig on this tour. Gives us hope we will have a great show. winking smiley

crumbling_mice
silver dagger...did you get my emails?

Nope - will check now though. Will email you in a mo.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()

Date: June 26, 2013 15:37

bye bye johnny

Wow - what great teeth Keith has now. Keef's teef!

Date: June 26, 2013 15:41

crawdaddy
I certainly hope they start off with a differant 4 songs than just about every gig on this tour. Gives us hope we will have a great show. winking smiley

They're playing for an audience who won't have seen any shows so far on this tour and on the whole haven't a clue what the setlist will be.

Not sure why playing four songs that they haven't rehearsed or played much = guaranteed good times.

Date: June 26, 2013 16:04

Fresh quotes

Here's Keith:

"It's almost as if you were finally destined to play Glastonbury, you know. There were many years when we were offered it and turned it down ... but I look at it as a culmination of our British heritage, really. It had to be done and it's going to be done. And we'll see what happens."

And here's Mick:

"All my kids are going to be there so I'm going to be visiting them in the days before the actual show and they have all kinds of activities set up for me to do."

Date: June 26, 2013 16:56

CalGonz
crawdaddy

Not sure why playing four songs that they haven't rehearsed or played much = guaranteed good times.

That's for us die hard vampires who monitor every show and want fresh meat!! >grinning smiley<

Date: June 26, 2013 17:00

I can understand that alright, but looked at from the POV of a non-Stones diehard, the safer they play this set the better. It's one gig where they shouldn't be breaking out Memory Motel or Worried About You - or something even more niche. Even the three variable songs that they've been mixing up every night this tour should be bankers - Street Fighting Man, Wild Horses, etc.

Date: June 26, 2013 18:29

CalGonz
I can understand that alright, but looked at from the POV of a non-Stones diehard, the safer they play this set the better. It's one gig where they shouldn't be breaking out Memory Motel or Worried About You - or something even more niche. Even the three variable songs that they've been mixing up every night this tour should be bankers - Street Fighting Man, Wild Horses, etc.

There's a difference between playing a Vegas type show for the oldies or trying to prove that's there's still bite in your act and being a little dangerous. I'd prefer the latter myself in the way that you'd never know what you're going to get at a Dylan or Neil Young show. It would certainly be a poke in the eye for the nay-sayers who have written them off as pedestrian years ago.

Date: June 26, 2013 18:35

To an extent, yes, but at Glastonbury the distractions are myriad. All it can sometimes take is 2 or 3 less-familiar tracks and a crowd's attention span will start to wander in the direction of, say, Public Enemy or getting into Shangri La eraly.

Even the Emotional Rescue / Doom & Gloom / One More Shot mid-gig sag will take its toll.

I think there's a bit of a consensus that they got the setlist wrong at Isle of Wight in 2007. Too little familiar material - YGMR, Rough Justice, Ain't Too proud To Beg, etc. - and people were getting bored.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:03

is Keith wearing a Mona Lisa- with his face superimposed on it - tshirt in that clip?

ha ha! thant´s pretty cool

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:49

#StonesGlasto Grrrr... I'm heading west today! Who else is en route? Driving down the 303

[twitter.com]

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:57

CalGonz
To an extent, yes, but at Glastonbury the distractions are myriad. All it can sometimes take is 2 or 3 less-familiar tracks and a crowd's attention span will start to wander in the direction of, say, Public Enemy or getting into Shangri La eraly.

Even the Emotional Rescue / Doom & Gloom / One More Shot mid-gig sag will take its toll.

I think there's a bit of a consensus that they got the setlist wrong at Isle of Wight in 2007. Too little familiar material - YGMR, Rough Justice, Ain't Too proud To Beg, etc. - and people were getting bored.

It's an interesting point. The Stones have, i would guess, at least ten songs that many people know, even if they don't consider themselves fans, which not many bands have. It would be easy to play them all including things like Ruby Tuesday and Angie. It's a very big gig and i would love it if they could pull it off. They're in good enough form to do it as well, far better than the Isle of Wight when Keith was in terrible shape.

I agree with you it should be a crowd pleasing set, but in a way it's a shame that they maybe don't feel they can take risks with it and play stuff that the crowd don't know but may enjoy.

Are people just going to leave if they are unfamiliar with two or three songs though? I'm guessing Neil Young and even Springsteen have less familiar catalogues to the non fan, did they lose sections of the crowd when they played the slightly deeper stuff?

Mind you, one of the songs we wouldn't even question is a thirteen minute blues slap bang in the middle of the set!

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:09

Springsteen got the setlist pretty badly wrong and people were leaving in droves. He tailored it for a Springsteen crowd and - as such - harshed the mellow of most of the more casual observers.

Neil Young seemed to pull it off - perhaps because there was less weight of expectation on him. He was kind of in Brooooooooce's shadow that weekend and ended up stealing a march on him.

If the Stones are in the form of their lives they can get away with being more cavalier in their song selections. But that's a relatively sizable if. If the crowd smell blood then wheeling out the like's of She's So Cold or Fingerprint File or Slipping Away won't endear them to many.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:28

I don't know how Neil does it thengrinning smiley Just looked at his Glasto setlist and it's stuffed with album tracks and not all big ones either. It's entirely possible some wouldn't have know a single song until 'Needle...' about an hour and a half in.

I guess it's all down to expectation. With Neil people would say how happy they were he played Heart of Gold and Down BY The River, whereas the Stones are going to play nearly two hours of hits and people are going to moan that they didn't play Ruby Tuesday.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:45

And the Stones have pretty much unprecedented expectations on them - mostly of their own making, given their ticket prices.

Don't worry, though - they've got little chance of eclipsing Rod Stewart's performance as the worst headliner ever seen at the farm...

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home