Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: Track Talk: Moonlight Mile
Date: November 24, 2013 15:21

Sister Morphine, Sway and Dead Flowers are the "weakest" ones, imo.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2013 15:24

DandelionPowderman
Sister Morphine

They should have put that on Let It Bleed.

Date: November 24, 2013 15:26

Yep.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2013 15:26

His Majesty
Not keen on Dead Flowers, that's the weakest point in the album for me.

A wrong opinion, my friend! grinning smiley

You said "Sway" is a "bridge" between "Sugar" and "Horses" - I think "Dead Flowers" is a beautiful break between two thick-aired masterpieces in the flip side. So light and relaxing, like having a quick beer and chatting and laughing with your buddies in a pub during a busy business day.

- Doxa

Date: November 24, 2013 15:31

Please note I added this to my post on Dead Flowers.

"It acts as a nice mood change inbetween Sister Morphone and Moonlight Mile. Fine in context of the album, not something I'd choose to listen to on it's own."

winking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 24, 2013 15:37

Okay, duly noted your royal highness...so do I need to go back and change my post to reflect your changed post? grinning smiley

Date: November 24, 2013 15:37

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
Sister Morphine

They should have put that on Let It Bleed.

Yeah, "Sister Morphine" is an oddity in that album. It is a flashback to their previous albums. It still has that peculiar late-60's feel in it; the rest is so current, stylistically perfect and professional 70's.

- Doxa

Date: November 24, 2013 15:39

His Majesty

"It acts as a nice mood change inbetween Sister Morphone and Moonlight Mile. Fine in context of the album, not something I'd choose to listen to on it's own."

winking smiley

Man, we are listening the same album... smileys with beer

- Doxa

Date: November 24, 2013 15:44

latebloomer
Okay, duly noted your royal highness...so do I need to go back and change my post to reflect your changed post? grinning smiley

grinning smiley nah.

Date: November 24, 2013 16:05

Lucky that they were done with Decca and their 60's thing of a separate single and album by this time because Sticky Fingers would be severely harmed were Brown Sugar and/or Wild Horses not on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-24 16:06 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:17

latebloomer
His Majesty
Not keen on Dead Flowers, that's the weakest point in the album for me.

Why not, HM? I love Dead FLowers, it's such a fun song, a great to sing-a-long. It was a brillant move to place it after I Got The Blues and Sister Morphine, two very somber songs. It lightens the mood...and then you get the gorgeous Moonlight Mile to take you home.

thumbs up The lyrics are awesome and ring true.

Date: November 24, 2013 16:24

You Gotta Move is perhaps the most authentic-sounding blues The Stones ever did thumbs up

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 27, 2013 02:24

Doxa
His Majesty

winking smiley

Man, we are listening the same album... smileys with beer

- Doxa

Well, it should be noted that Dead Flowers is one of the most covered tracks of the stones (Townes Van Zant, Steve Earle among others), and has been (rightly) credited with being a big influence on the Alt Country movement (by Mojo Nixon recently on his XM show). Yeah, I know someone will say they got that from Gram, but this along with Wild Horses are seminal cornerstones of alt country. I just wish they had given DF and rocked up Honky Tonk Women treatment! Could have been a masterpiece ...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 27, 2013 08:10

Moonlight Mile...
smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer

Well... covered tracks of the stones
The 5th Dimension

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: November 27, 2013 08:16

I love this beautiful song. I love Sticky Fingers too.
I love the cover too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 27, 2013 08:42

Mick Taylor is such a gentle guitarist. We forget because we love him blasting through Ampegs in concert bootlegs. Through the information on IORR I'm realizing his influence is great during the classic Stones days and I'm not speaking about solos only.

Date: November 27, 2013 09:47

DoomandGloom
Mick Taylor is such a gentle guitarist. We forget because we love him blasting through Ampegs in concert bootlegs. Through the information on IORR I'm realizing his influence is great during the classic Stones days and I'm not speaking about solos only.

He is at his best on stuff like Moonlight Mile, adding magic to the song, imo.

Date: November 27, 2013 11:19

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

Not "adding" but constituting or is being involved in the very process of creating greatly the magic of it. It amazes me greatly how difficult is for certain people to give Taylor a proper credit of his contributions. Like he essentially is nothing but a great lead guitarist - and terrible rhythmn player, of course - who is only icing the cake (and sometimes, especially live 1972/73, ruining it), and actually an outsider who never really belong to the DNA of the Rolling Stones 1969-74, by being one essential contributor to the music that derives from those times. grinning smiley

Of course, I'm not talking about you, Dandie...winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 27, 2013 11:30

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

Not "adding" but constituting or is being involved in the very process of creating greatly the magic of it. It amazes me greatly how difficult is for certain people to give Taylor a proper credit of his contributions. Like he essentially is nothing but a great lead guitarist - and terrible rhythmn player, of course - who is only icing the cake (and sometimes, especially live 1972/73, ruining it), and actually an outsider who never really belong to the DNA of the Rolling Stones 1969-74, by being one essential contributor to the music that derives from those times. grinning smiley

Of course, I'm not talking about you, Dandie...winking smiley

- Doxa

confused smiley

He is adding magic to this song, no?

I bet he got ideas of how, after getting that one-to-one performance of the song by Jagger in that railway compartment winking smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 11:34

Guilty.

Date: November 27, 2013 11:39

His Majesty
Guilty.

Actually you are not. The stuff you've written in this very thread shows it... But I know your stance of 'real Rolling Stones', and Taylor never belongs to that concept, but you don't hesitate to give credit for Taylor of his significance to that bastard version of Rolling Stones 1969-74...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 27, 2013 11:48

Ok, I am guilty of other charges. grinning smiley

We are both guilty of Taylor having to be exceptionally amazing and hopefully very subtle to garner even a smidgen of kudos though. The most interesting thing about all this is that when ever there is some Taylor discussion going down you know dandie and I are going to be in there. grinning smiley

Hmmm.

Date: November 27, 2013 11:54

The lovers of subtility vs. the lovers of show offs...

We don't always practise as we preach, though - as we're far from subtle in our opinions grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 12:11

Very true, gentlemen, very true!thumbs up

The only problem I have with you guys is that you sometimes have wrong opinions based on odd taste... >grinning smiley<

But trying to explicate own taste, and the reasons for one's opinions, brings always amazing stuff about music, of how we hear and see things.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 12:12 by Doxa.

Date: November 27, 2013 12:17

Atleast Taylor's widdle widdle is musical compared to the fiddle fiddle of Wood. grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 12:20

Or to the riddle riddle of Brian's playing grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 12:27

DandelionPowderman
Or to the riddle riddle of Brian's playing grinning smiley

Riddle riddle is very fitting. winking smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 12:54

Phil, can you e-mail me? I have a work-related question.

Date: November 27, 2013 13:12

Sent. thumbs up

Date: November 27, 2013 13:21

Replied thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home