Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 5, 2013 23:18

RollingFreak
Anyone think (You Will) Set The World On Fire sounds EXACTLY like the intro of Jack White's single off his new album Sixteen Saltines? I mean, I know there's alot of similarities in music, but this is nearly identical.

Good catch!

Does the CD sound any different than the iTunes rip, especially when it comes to Bowie's very "centered" and "buried" voice on many tracks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-05 23:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2013 00:27

Agreed about the CD catch. I'm extremely curious about that as well if anyone with a CD copy this early knows.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 6, 2013 01:50

Erik_Snow
Toru A
DAVID BOWIE CAFE will open in Ginza, Tokyo on March 9.smiling smiley

That is beyond silly and embarrassing. What does those money-grabbers has to do with Bowie?

The bar is at Sony Building owned by SONY.
This is part of sales campaign for Blue Spec CD of his new album.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 6, 2013 04:11

people need to hear this record....it's really good.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 7, 2013 22:24

I find it just fabulous! This is really his best release since...I don't know, it really is among his best ever work. It's a bit like 'Heathen', but much more agressive, darker, angry, 'angst' might be the word. There's a bit of Tom Waits infused, a bit of Placebo, Grace Jones (weirdly) comes to mind. It's just frigging fantastic, it's been quite a while I've listened to a record that I want to play again, and again, and again. This might be the best release of the last few years actually.

'Love is Lost' is my fave now, but that can change tonight...

Buy this album!

Mathijs

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 7, 2013 22:45

A bit of Placebo? That's like saying a Stones record has a bit of the Black Crowes....

Date: March 7, 2013 22:50

GRNRBITW
A bit of Placebo? That's like saying a Stones record has a bit of the Black Crowes....

The Stones never had that Southern swagger, nor did they ever have that Grateful Dead jamming going on. So if the Stones would suddenly go a bit more BC that would not be an insult.

Mathijs

Date: March 7, 2013 22:57

Mathijs
GRNRBITW

The Stones never had that Southern swagger, nor did they ever have that Grateful Dead jamming going on. So if the Stones would suddenly go a bit more BC that would not be an insult.

Mathijs

you're no fun at all

Date: March 7, 2013 22:57

GRNRBITW
Mathijs
GRNRBITW

Mathijs

you're no fun at all

But I am very handsome.

Mathijs

Date: March 7, 2013 22:59

Mathijs
GRNRBITW
Mathijs
GRNRBITW

Mathijs

you're no fun at all

But I am very handsome.

Mathijs

that explains it. only us uglies have any fun.

Date: March 7, 2013 23:01

GRNRBITW
Mathijs
GRNRBITW
Mathijs
GRNRBITW

Mathijs

you're no fun at all

But I am very handsome.

Mathijs

I can be very ugly if you want to.

Mathijs

Date: March 7, 2013 23:02

Mathijs
GRNRBITW
Mathijs
GRNRBITW
Mathijs
GRNRBITW

Mathijs

you're no fun at all

But I am very handsome.

Mathijs

I can be very ugly if you want to.

Mathijs

cool. Party at Mathijs', everyone!!!

Date: March 8, 2013 05:02

(You Will) Set The World On Fire is a pretty damn good song for a 66 year old.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 8, 2013 05:18

Agreed - AWESOME album Managed to get a CD copy today ahead of Tuesday's release. Bowie's the man.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 8, 2013 05:38

Mathijs, I agree completely, this is an incredible release from Bowie. A classic, and he is in fine form after ten years of not recording. Amazing really, the man obviously has a lot to say and from what it sounds like more is coming. Visconti has said there were another 20 songs they worked on, and most probably will be a quick follow up album.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: March 8, 2013 13:00

Bowie has ceased since the early 80s, to be relavant music history - he himself has said that he knows that Never let me down was his low point. And now he says simply: @#$%& you, I do not want to be your hero and introduces himself to the museum. And no - or very few - remember it, even if it really catches the eye.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 8, 2013 13:40

Rip This
(You Will) Set The World On Fire is a pretty damn good song for a 66 year old.

It reminds me of Putting Out Fire from his Let's Dance album.

Date: March 8, 2013 13:50

leatherjacket
Bowie has ceased since the early 80s, to be relavant music history - he himself has said that he knows that Never let me down was his low point. And now he says simply: @#$%& you, I do not want to be your hero and introduces himself to the museum. And no - or very few - remember it, even if it really catches the eye.
Ceased to be relevant? That is funny. To his fans he is still an incredible artistic force who always does it his way. Black Tie White Noise, , Buddha of Suburbia 1.Outside, Earthling, Hours, Heathen, Reality, Reality Live.... an incredible late career surge of experimentation, reflection, and his stunning voice. Whew! Who cares if he is relevant? He has put a smile on a lot of folks faces for quite a while since Never Let Me Down.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 8, 2013 19:48

kowalski
Erik_Snow
Finally recieved the CD; still waiting for the vinyl
It's a solid record; for sure - and the best comeback among the "big artists" since Bob Dylan in 1997, at least

Wasn't the earliest release day supposed to be the 8th of March?

Got a CD from a journalist

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 8, 2013 19:49

Toru A
Erik_Snow
Toru A
DAVID BOWIE CAFE will open in Ginza, Tokyo on March 9.smiling smiley

That is beyond silly and embarrassing. What does those money-grabbers has to do with Bowie?

The bar is at Sony Building owned by SONY.
This is part of sales campaign for Blue Spec CD of his new album.

OK, but it's still real stupid......I know you agree

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 8, 2013 21:03

RollingFreak
Anyone think (You Will) Set The World On Fire sounds EXACTLY like the intro of Jack White's single off his new album Sixteen Saltines? I mean, I know there's alot of similarities in music, but this is nearly identical.

That opening riff sounds familiar. Here's a link to two DJs comparing it to the theme song to the 90's tv show 90210: [www.emusic.com]

Date: March 8, 2013 23:12

Erik_Snow
kowalski
Erik_Snow
Finally recieved the CD; still waiting for the vinyl
It's a solid record; for sure - and the best comeback among the "big artists" since Bob Dylan in 1997, at least

Wasn't the earliest release day supposed to be the 8th of March?

Got a CD from a journalist

I guess that's how it got all over the web since the beginning of the week... smiling smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 8, 2013 23:30

oh never mind ... I thought I was the first person on the planet to notice that Jack and David spent too much time watching Beverly Hills, 90210

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-08 23:34 by DeanGoodman.

Date: March 9, 2013 05:13

I was waiting to hear your impressions Erik! I haven't gotten the CD yet.... soon!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 9, 2013 05:42

Listening to it right now, sounds pretty fine. And Dean, I certainly remember the 90210 theme. I'm listening to (You Will)Set the World On Fire right now and I guess I can hear a vague similarity in the guitar riff. Seems like a bit of a stretch, but...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2013 12:53

ROCKMAN

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: March 9, 2013 14:13

Out of interest, does anyone know at what time iTunes/Amazon release the download of The Next Day?

I need to be out of the house by about 5am on Monday and I want the album on my iPod - will it be available??

Date: March 9, 2013 15:04

The Next Day - Deluxe, #1 in 21 countries on iTunes album chart.

(chart from DB facebook page)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 9, 2013 15:32

David overused parenthesis in the track listing. I'm gonna have to report that to the RIAA. He's busted.

Date: March 9, 2013 17:10

Mathijs
I find it just fabulous! This is really his best release since...I don't know, it really is among his best ever work. It's a bit like 'Heathen', but much more agressive, darker, angry, 'angst' might be the word. There's a bit of Tom Waits infused, a bit of Placebo, Grace Jones (weirdly) comes to mind. It's just frigging fantastic, it's been quite a while I've listened to a record that I want to play again, and again, and again. This might be the best release of the last few years actually.

'Love is Lost' is my fave now, but that can change tonight...

Buy this album!

Mathijs

what I love is that it's all of the above and an adult record to boot... autobiographical in the sense that we're talking about someone with more than a rock star point of view....he's sharing a life's journey of emotions...experience...the pacing of the songs is what blows me away...listening to Where Are We Now in the context of the 5th slot on the album makes sense for example....as do most of the other tracks...a wonderful treat....good things come to those who wait?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home