Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 16, 2013 11:02

GravityBoy
whitem8
Station to Station was one of Bowie's most important and influential albums. Every track, 6 for 6. Stunning!

True.. the title track is EPIC.

Wild is the Wind is possibly his greatest vocal.

Yup, my favorite too....don't forget about his album 'Hours' from -99 sounding in style like 'The man who sold the world' and with better songs....actually it beats Heathen....(I'm going thru Bowies CD-era here with 7 albums incl Suburbia)...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 16, 2013 11:25

whitem8
Yes Gravityboy! I forgot to include Scary Monsters! AMAZING album. I love Young Americans. ALways have, I didn't include it though because while it is an amazing album, and a big shift for him, it isn't on the same level of Station to Station up to Scary Monsters. Station to Station was one of Bowie's most important and influential albums. Every track, 6 for 6. Stunning!

I think the entire run from MWSTW to Scary Monsters is impeccable. I agree about Young American's, I love that album and the expanded edition is even better. It's Gonna Be Me - astounding. One of his best vocal performances. And don't get me started on Win!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 16, 2013 11:55

Win is totally sublime. One of those perfect songs, where Bowie's voice is the most powerful and sensual instrument on the track. Ok, I am with you, shit ya! The entire run from The Man Who Sold the World to Scary Monsters. I am down with that. An amazing run. Win is like silk and satin mixed with dark chocolate and sex. He virtually melts your psyche with his sensuality on that song. Bowie has said it is one of his favorite songs, yet he rarely played it live. I think he did it once partially during the Reality tour, and a few times during the Soul tour. But a definite rarity that should be up there in the pantheon of his greatest music.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 16, 2013 12:05

I like the Space Oddity album.. A LOT!

Cygnet Committee and Unwashed and Somewhat slightly dazed are prototype Ziggy.

Wild-eyed Boy from Freecloud good as well.

And of course Space Oddity itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-16 12:54 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 16, 2013 12:53

I also like some of the Deram era material from 1966 - 1968: if you bypass the Laughing Gnome, there's some excellent songwriting there.

Date: January 16, 2013 12:55

London Boys is a great track (on Toy as well).

Date: January 16, 2013 14:25

whitem8
Win is totally sublime. One of those perfect songs, where Bowie's voice is the most powerful and sensual instrument on the track. Ok, I am with you, shit ya! The entire run from The Man Who Sold the World to Scary Monsters. I am down with that. An amazing run. Win is like silk and satin mixed with dark chocolate and sex. He virtually melts your psyche with his sensuality on that song. Bowie has said it is one of his favorite songs, yet he rarely played it live. I think he did it once partially during the Reality tour, and a few times during the Soul tour. But a definite rarity that should be up there in the pantheon of his greatest music.

What a line! You nailed it. That final "Ooh hoo" OMG - I just melt.

Date: January 16, 2013 14:27

Should have given Visconti credit for the production of Young Americans too. Really fantastic sound.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: January 16, 2013 15:40

The most disappointing album I have of his is the soundtrack to the Ziggy movie. I was really looking forward to its release in 1983 having had part of this historic show on the His Masters Voice boot for several years before. The quality of the soundtrack was vastly inferior to the boot. I know the soundtrack album has been remastered fairly recently but I don’t know about whether there has been a significant improvement in the quality. Anyone know how it compares with the original vinyl?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 16, 2013 15:48

Captain Teague
The most disappointing album I have of his is the soundtrack to the Ziggy movie. I was really looking forward to its release in 1983 having had part of this historic show on the His Masters Voice boot for several years before. The quality of the soundtrack was vastly inferior to the boot. I know the soundtrack album has been remastered fairly recently but I don’t know about whether there has been a significant improvement in the quality. Anyone know how it compares with the original vinyl?
I don't know how it compares to the original vinyl, but I think the newest remaster is a major improvement. Again, thanks go to Tony Visconti. Its now the full length show, intros and all (minus the Jeff Beck guest appearance which is fine with me), and is an awesome setlist of his albums up to that point. As that is my favorite era, it is definitely the live album I had to have. Is it the incredible concert I hoped it would be? No, not quite. But I don't have any other live recordings of that band which I love so much. Ronson, Boulder, and Woodmansey were just as much a part of that sound as Bowie and having a live album with their parts is essential to Bowie's catalogue IMO. Most of the studio recordings get the job done pretty well. Personally I really enjoy Moonage Daydream on there for Ronson's extended solo, and My Death is excellent has been discussed. Everything I see as very good. Bowie sounds great, as does the band, just with studio recordings that are already very good I would say the live set is not essential. I do revisit it from time to time though. I do believe its much better than the Santa Monica show and that its a good way to bookend the end of that period. I'd much rather have it available to us than always be wondering what the Spiders sounded like live, and I do believe the new remaster is a worthy addition to Bowie's catalogue.

Date: January 16, 2013 16:46

I think Santa Monica 72 is far superior to the Ziggy Motion Picture disc. As was the show. They did a fantastic job remastering it, and the deluxe set is wonderful. The sound and rawness of the show is cacophony of grit, glitter, and raw rock n' roll.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 16, 2013 21:01

Is the Toy album any good?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: January 16, 2013 21:56

anybody, who loves the TIN MACHINE era as I do? Most fans hate it...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 16, 2013 23:42

this pic is new to me. quite romantic.

semi-OT this pic is also new to me, with jerry.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:34

deardoctor
anybody, who loves the TIN MACHINE era as I do? Most fans hate it...eye rolling smiley

I happen to like Tin Macine very much but it's a hit or miss affair, the songs that are good are really good, the songs that are bad are pretty bad.

I've got some live shows from them where half the concert is awesome then the drummer sings and it is aweful.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:37

RollingFreak
bitusa2012

I will say, it probably started to sink in most when I wasn't watching the video. The song on its own is alot better than the weirdness of the video. I enjoy both now, but at first I definitely think it was the video that didn't help me get into it. Once I got around to it, I actually got really excited for the new album (initially when I heard of Bowie's return I was just excited for live stuff). And now with the addition that there should be about 5 rockers on there and that this song is very different than the rest? Boom, done. You've got me hooked. As of now it is my most anticipated album of the year. I hope its incredible.

I have to agree, I starting liking the song after several listens and without watching the video.

Date: January 17, 2013 11:00

coffeepotman
deardoctor

I happen to like Tin Macine very much but it's a hit or miss affair, the songs that are good are really good, the songs that are bad are pretty bad.

I've got some live shows from them where half the concert is awesome then the drummer sings and it is aweful.

I agree with this. Happened to listen to the first album the other day which I think is mostly excellent but the second was far more patchy. Bowie said it ended due to major drug problems within the band but I think it had run its course anyway.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: January 17, 2013 11:49

RollingFreak
Captain Teague
I don't know how it compares to the original vinyl, but I think the newest remaster is a major improvement. Again, thanks go to Tony Visconti. Its now the full length show, intros and all (minus the Jeff Beck guest appearance which is fine with me), and is an awesome setlist of his albums up to that point. As that is my favorite era, it is definitely the live album I had to have. Is it the incredible concert I hoped it would be? No, not quite. But I don't have any other live recordings of that band which I love so much. Ronson, Boulder, and Woodmansey were just as much a part of that sound as Bowie and having a live album with their parts is essential to Bowie's catalogue IMO. Most of the studio recordings get the job done pretty well. Personally I really enjoy Moonage Daydream on there for Ronson's extended solo, and My Death is excellent has been discussed. Everything I see as very good. Bowie sounds great, as does the band, just with studio recordings that are already very good I would say the live set is not essential. I do revisit it from time to time though. I do believe its much better than the Santa Monica show and that its a good way to bookend the end of that period. I'd much rather have it available to us than always be wondering what the Spiders sounded like live, and I do believe the new remaster is a worthy addition to Bowie's catalogue.

Thanks for your advice on this Rolling, sounds like the remaster is worthy of an investment. I think it would be better if the Love Me Do/Jean Genie medley with Jeff Beck was included though.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 17, 2013 12:47

Just for the hell of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-17 12:57 by howled.

Date: January 17, 2013 13:08

howled

I wonder if Adrian Belew is on the new album.

I hope so.

His solo in "Boys Keep Swinging" is one of my all time favs.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 17, 2013 15:02

Adrian Belew is a distinct player with his own style which I personally like.

That's another thing about Bowie, how he surrounds himself with distinct players/figures like Eno, David Sanborn, Adrian Belew, Mick Ronson, Robert Fripp, SRV etc even Lou Reed and Iggy if singers are included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-17 15:35 by howled.

Date: January 18, 2013 21:32

Following the discussion about it on this thread I watched the Serious Moonlight DVD again last night and it affirmed everything I already expressed about it: this is my favourite tour. Great song selection, great musicians and the lighting and staging is incredible. And he looks great blond!

Date: January 18, 2013 21:39

The Serious Moonlight DVD will be coming in today from amazon. Can't wait!

Date: January 18, 2013 21:42

Always liked this:

Date: January 18, 2013 22:08

JohnnyBGoode
Always liked this:

Its good, but I always thought it could be alot better. Personally its just too much Never Get Old (a great song in its own right) for me. Particularly that its just the chorus of that one song, the mash up gets repetitive quite fast. I always thought using more parts of Rebel Rebel throughout and switching up the sections of Never Get Old would make it much better.

Other than that, its a cool mashup.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 18, 2013 23:17

'66 with The Lower Third ... GREAT track.

Date: January 19, 2013 00:15

TheDailyBuzzherd
'66 with The Lower Third ... GREAT track.

Yes, that is a fantastic track and he did a cracking version on the Hours mini tour too.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: January 19, 2013 01:03

rebelrebel

Following the discussion about it on this thread I watched the Serious Moonlight DVD again last night and it affirmed everything I already expressed about it: this is my favourite tour. Great song selection, great musicians and the lighting and staging is incredible. And he looks great blond!

Yeah,but the video/dvd never came close to what I have in my memory from this tour (1983 Berlin, Waldbühne)and on my cassettetape from this gig: the combination of wild and nasty punk/noise/hardrock/funk/pop-music with this wild animal Earl Slick on the left side of the stage and the perfect showact /dancemoves of the rest of the band. One of the best concerts I `ve ever seen. The music on the cd is too nice and clean. In reality it was wild and breathtaking.

Tom

Date: January 19, 2013 04:27

I don't get how Hours is so maligned by Bowie fans. I think it is a wonderful release, and going back to being more introspective (after the somewhat alienated feeling of Earthling). Seven and Survive are fantastic songs.

Date: January 19, 2013 07:31

whitem8
I don't get how Hours is so maligned by Bowie fans. I think it is a wonderful release, and going back to being more introspective (after the somewhat alienated feeling of Earthling). Seven and Survive are fantastic songs.
I don't understand it at all. Thursday's Child is excellent, as are the ones you mentioned. The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell is kick ass. If I'm Dreaming My Life and Something In The Air are very good too, as is What's Really Happening. I do think it tapers off at the end with the last 3 songs, but overall I think thats an excellent disc. I really don't get why Bowie fans hate it and why Bowie himself isn't a fan, as he plays the crap out of all these newer albums except this one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home