Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 9, 2013 15:54

Also Rebel Rebel is very very Stonesy. In fact in interviews he said he was writing a stones song when writing that and playing guitar.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 9, 2013 16:13

Rebel Rebel, great riff.

That's what Bowie could do before he went Funky, then Euro artsy fartsy.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: January 9, 2013 16:25

Never got into him or bought into the great white hope hype.
As the saying goes "Hell is other peoples music."

Posted by: belld ()
Date: January 9, 2013 16:27

howled
Morbid and depressing song with look back references and nothing to look forward to, sung with very weak vocals that at least do fit in with the morbid and depressing tone.

Makes Leonard Cohen seem like Speed Metal.

Maybe David has been listening to too much Leonard Cohen.

After 10 years if all someone can come out with is that, then that might make someone morbid and depressed, but it might be done on purpose by Bowie reflecting on the current state of pop music, you never know with Bowie.

The album might be different but from what I've heard it's supposed to be melancholy.
Yep, Turgid with a capital T.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 9, 2013 16:53

That new track is haunting, beautiful, addictive and plain brilliant. I've got that refrain stuck in my head now, and I can see why it's good. But music as melancholy as this just isn't my cup of tea, so it won't be on my shopping list, especially if the rest of the album is similar. This comes into the category of Great Music That I Don't Enjoy - Leonard Cohen and Morrissey are two other candidates.

(Oops - I nearly said "I personally" - sorry StonesTod!)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 9, 2013 17:11

What's wrong with melancholy? Real art, literature, cinematography or music is all about melancholy. The whole spectrum of it. From life to death and the travel in between.
You should be moved by art. That is the only meaning with it.

Date: January 9, 2013 17:23

Nothing is wrong with melancholy. The fault is with me - but I won't be buying music, however good, that I don't enjoy (however much I "ought" to).

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 9, 2013 17:54

Green Lady
Nothing is wrong with melancholy. The fault is with me - but I won't be buying music, however good, that I don't enjoy (however much I "ought" to).
Fault is the wrong word, there is nothing wrong/fault with you. On the contrary, you are quite perfect... and I am very happy to see that you found your dime winking smiley

I dont listen to music to be depresssed by it, but I can understand some folks around here loving this sad, sorrowful, melancholy, depressed music, it makes sense.... I on the other hand am not constantly bummed out and sad, thus I like my music more upbeat and cheerful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-09 17:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 9, 2013 18:03

Bowie's new song "Where Are We Now" is daring, fragile and melancholic and this is what makes the song a beauti.

Cheers

Posted by: mosquito ()
Date: January 9, 2013 19:31

Beatiful song.Fantastic Bowie once again.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 9, 2013 19:52

runaway
Bowie's new song "Where Are We Now" is daring, fragile and melancholic and this is what makes the song a beauti.

Cheers

Bowie has been doing this kind of stuff for a long time.

Maybe people missed it.

"Wild is the Wind" is from the 1976 Station to Station album.

Absolutely stunning track.

If you want to go back further there's The Bewlay Brothers off Hunky Dory (god what was that song about?) - equally stunning.

Slip Away from Heathen - stunning.

The Loneliest Guy from Reality - Stunning (although you might want to slit your throat afterwards).

There's always a time to party and a time to reflect - Bowie does both thankfully.

Date: January 9, 2013 19:53

PS... I forgot "Candidate/Sweet Thing" from Diamond Dogs.

A masterpiece.

Date: January 9, 2013 20:08

GravityBoy
runaway

Cheers

Maybe people missed it.

If you want to go back further there's The Bewlay Brothers off Hunky Dory (god what was that song about?) - equally stunning.

The Loneliest Guy from Reality - Stunning (although you might want to slit your throat afterwards).

There's always a time to party and a time to reflect - Bowie does both thankfully.

GravityBoy thanks for your info thumbs up
In 1969 Major Tom was on the radio all day-and great Bowie is back with new songs and it wouldn't surprise me if He would move back to Berlin.
Bowie made some great records in Berlin in the seventies and nowadays Berlin is a very cool place to be.

Date: January 9, 2013 20:09

David Bowie track 'not eligible' for UK singles chart

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The first new track from David Bowie in a decade is not eligible for the UK singles chart.

The Official Chart Company said sales of Where Are We Now? "cannot currently be counted... as the release is linked to an album pre-order promotion".

"It is not possible to distinguish" people who purchase the song on its own from those who pre-order the album and get it for free, the company explained.

The track was released on Tuesday, coinciding with Bowie's 66th birthday.

It was made available as a video and an iTunes download and will be followed by a new album, The Next Day, in March.

Where Are We Now? currently tops the iTunes UK singles chart, while The Next Day is the online retailer's most requested pre-order.

If it had reached number one, it would have given the musician his first UK chart-topper since Let's Dance in 1983.

Fans were upset to find out the song would not feature in this week's countdown.

"Surely someone high up can step in and sort it out," wrote Ian Wade on Twitter.

"A terrible shame," agreed Lee Thompson. "Means we're stuck with will.i.am and Britney instead."

Another writer suggested Bowie wouldn't be overly concerned, writing: "He must be crying diamond tears into his dodo-feather-stuffed golden pillow".

Bowie has not performed live since 2006 and has rarely been seen in public since then, prompting speculation over the state of his health.

The Official Charts Company said the singer's new track could not be considered for its singles countdown due to "rules which are agreed in partnership with UK record companies and retailers".

"Should it become possible in the future for regular track sales to be distinguished from album pre-order incentive purchases, then these sales can be counted towards the chart."

Date: January 9, 2013 20:20

Green Lady thanks for Your info and I really do appreciate Your honest opinion
about the new song thumbs up

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 20:59

David Bowie's new single 'Where Are We Now?' could still chart in Sunday's Official Top 40, despite earlier reports stating it wasn't eligible.

The track, which is currently number one on iTunes, is available for free when pre-ordering his forthcoming album The Next Day. This would have prevented it from entering the chart.

However, the Official Charts Company has since said that sales of the single track do count towards the official Top 40, meaning 'Where Are We Now?' will enter if it achieves enough sales.

Their earlier statement read: "Owing to chart rules which are agreed in partnership with UK record companies and retailers, data relating to the David Bowie single 'Where Are We Now' cannot currently be counted towards the official singles charts, as the release is linked to an album pre-order promotion and it is not possible to distinguish album sales from track sales from the retail data received.

"Should it become possible in the future for regular track sales to be distinguished from album pre-order incentive purchases, then these sales can be counted towards the chart."

'Where Are We Now?' marks the singer's first new release in over a decade and shot to the top of the download chart less than a day after its surprise release yesterday.

Bowie has also seen a surge in sales of his hits collection The Best of Bowie since news of his upcoming studio LP was announced.

Lady GaGa recently praised 'Where Are We Now?' on her Twitter page, calling it "a moment of bliss".

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 9, 2013 21:14

The new track is WAY too depressing for my taste but hopefully he has some funkier or even rock-like tracks on the CD. When I read the Visconti piece he didn't mention any musicians, maybe Bowie did the whole thing using computers and few if any real live musicians. That might account for the secrecy of this project like others are curious about. I'll still remember him for his seventies music and the 4 tours I saw back then.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 9, 2013 21:25

the crutch-hungry dark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-09 21:39 by mgguy.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:10

The woman is Tony Ousler's (sp) wife - he did the video. Worked with Bowie during his Earthling tour - he does the 'video puppets.'

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:14

The first few minutes into our main evening TV news David and his new single got a mention.smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:18

his voice sounds great..

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 9, 2013 23:14

That video is going to give me nightmares. I like it. Bowie sounds and looks great.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 9, 2013 23:26

Five pages already and not a word about his back.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 9, 2013 23:46

Saw the video. Now I know why Bowie taken so long for a new record. He's become a siamese twin with Yoko Ono!

Date: January 10, 2013 13:06

GravityBoy
runaway

Cheers

Maybe people missed it.

Also The Motel on 1.Outside, Always Crashing in the Same Car- Low...yup lots of haunting stuff from The Thin White Duke. And a recent interview with Tony Visconti is that the album has lots of rock on it, and he was quite surprised that Bowie chose this as the first single. It is a statement. About his life, his past, and getting old. BEAUTIFUL!

Date: January 10, 2013 13:31

Svartmer
Yeah, thread might have been called ""Bowie's Front" or "Bowie's 2 headed video" or maybe "Bowie's Face in the crowd of two"... or something.

Date: January 10, 2013 13:41

whitem8
GravityBoy
runaway

Cheers

Maybe people missed it.

Also The Motel on 1.Outside, Always Crashing in the Same Car- Low...yup lots of haunting stuff from The Thin White Duke. And a recent interview with Tony Visconti is that the album has lots of rock on it, and he was quite surprised that Bowie chose this as the first single. It is a statement. About his life, his past, and getting old. BEAUTIFUL!

Also "She'll drive the Big car" on Reality - brilliant song about a women contemplating driving the car off the road into the river with her kids in the back.

Cheerful stuff.

Date: January 10, 2013 13:42

Max'sKansasCity
Svartmer
Yeah, thread might have been called ""Bowie's Front" or "Bowie's 2 headed video" or maybe "Bowie's Face in the crowd of two"... or something.

It's a typo.

It's supposed to say Bowie's Bach.

Date: January 10, 2013 13:46

GravityBoy
Max'sKansasCity
Svartmer

It's a typo.

It's supposed to say Bowie's Bach.
NOW THAT might sound pretty cool.... Id love to hear Bowie's take on Bach... We havent had a good take on that since I was kid and thought this sounded kind of cool

I still like it, classical music kind of rocks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 13:48 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: January 10, 2013 14:09

Here is a great interview with Earl Slick, and some Keith Richards comments.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home