Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 14, 2013 06:32

whitem8
howled
An opinion is not trolling.

Some think it's great, some think it's awful and not up to the standard that Bowie can deliver.

I think it's awful as well.

If Leonard Cohen has too much Rock attitude for someone to handle then they might like Bowies new song.

It is trolling. Just insulting saying he should "crawl..." that is just being nasty and intentionally insulting on a thread that is celebrating Bowie's return. You may not like the song, or him, fine, then move on and put your energy into something more positive other than raining on other people's happy parade.

Alright, the rock line from that poster isn't that nice I suppose but I was talking about their awful line.

I have nothing against what Bowie does and who would care anyway.

I'm just saying that Bowies new song is boring to me, with a very forgettable melody and a dirge like feel.

It ain't no Ashes to Ashes or Heroes but maybe on the album there will be something like these, I hope so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-14 06:33 by howled.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 14, 2013 10:05

In the tradition of "depressing" Bowie songs.. I give you...

"My Death".

A classic.

He's always done it.

If you've never listened beyond his singles then you won't get it.

Date: January 14, 2013 10:14

My death waits like an old roué
so confident I'll go his way
whistle to him and the passing time...

My death waits like a bible truth
at the funeral of my youth
weep loud for that - and the passing time...

My death waits like a witch at night
as surely as our love is bright
let's not think about the passing time

But whatever lies behind the door
there is nothing much to do...
angel or devil
I don't care for in front of that door...
there is you.

(Yes I know it's a Jacques Brel song)

Date: January 14, 2013 14:38

That wasn't a single or a song released on it's own as far as I know.

It's very different to Bowie's new song as well.

Who said I've only heard Bowie's singles?

Interesting tidbit.

The Starman chorus is very similar to "Somewhere over the Rainbow" [www.pastemagazine.com]

The note intervals and timing is the same for "Star----man" and "Some----where" and David just alters the rest of the chorus a bit from Somewhere's.

Bowie's got a wide range of song styles that he's used for his own songs.

I saw an interview with David once and he talked about how he got "My Way" from a French? composer through some songwriters company or something and he put words to it and was going to submit it or maybe he did but something went wrong and then he later heard "My Way" on the radio with Paul Anka 's lyrics.

So we could have had "My Way" with Bowies lyrics and title instead, but that's how it goes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-14 15:05 by howled.

Date: January 14, 2013 15:12

howled
That wasn't a single or a song released on it's own as far as I know.
It never was a single.

I'm merely highlighting Bowie's long tradition of "depressing" music.

It's very different to Bowie's new song as well.

Well yeah.. there's 40 years between.

But it's hardly Ashes to Ashes is it.

Who said I've only heard Bowie's singles?

Not me, but there are some commenting who think Bowie is Heroes and Ashes to Ashes.

He's not.

He never has been.

Bowie's got a wide range of song styles that he's used for his own songs.

You can say that again.

I saw an interview with David once and he talked about how he got "My Way" from a French? composer through some songwriters company or something and he put words to it and was going to submit it or maybe he did but something went wrong and then he later heard "My Way" on the radio with Paul Anka 's lyrics.

So we could have had "My Way" with Bowies lyrics and title instead, but that's how it goes.

Yes I've seen that. I wonder if he ever recorded it.

Date: January 14, 2013 15:14

But it's hardly Ashes to Ashes is it.

On reflection.. perhaps the new single is Ashes to Ashes part II.

Ashes to Ashes is a look back at an earlier period.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 14, 2013 15:19

Date: January 14, 2013 15:25

Maybe it is an Ashes to Ashes type thing.

There are other new songs on the new album, so we might get a clearer picture of what David is doing now when the album comes out.

It's hard to judge by just one song.

Even Tony Visconti said that he was surprised that David released "Where Are We Now?" as the single so the album might be very different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-14 15:26 by howled.

Date: January 14, 2013 15:30

whitem8

Beautiful.

I could listen to "depressing" Bowie all day.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 14, 2013 16:01

Bowie's Head!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 14, 2013 21:09

Jacques Brel-Port of Amsterdam/David Bowie

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 14, 2013 22:49

__________________________________________________________________________________
Interesting tidbit.

The Starman chorus is very similar to "Somewhere over the Rainbow" [www.pastemagazine.com]

The note intervals and timing is the same for "Star----man" and "Some----where" and David just alters the rest of the chorus a bit from Somewhere's.
it goes.
__________________________________________________________________________________

And Bowie acknowledged this when he played two nights at the Rainbow (geddit?) in London in '72. Both nights he had the band stop during Starman and he sang a couplet from Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's pretty cool, actually, there are recordings of both nights.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: January 15, 2013 03:02

I found this on Pollstar which is promising:

Last week David Bowie delighted the world with a brand new single and the news that a new album, titled The Next Day, is due out March 11 in the United Kingdom (March 12 in the U.S.). The single “Where Are We Now?” is the English singer’s first new song in 10 years.

Bowie’s longtime collaborator Tony Visconti, who produced the new music, says there might be more than one album coming.

“We recorded 29 titles,” Visconti told the U.K. Telegraph. “We have at least four finished songs that could start the next album. If all goes well, we will be back in the studio by the end of the year. He’s back. Bowie has found out what he wants to do: he wants to make records. Nothing else.”

As for hitting the stage, a show is a possibility but forget about a tour.

“He doesn’t want to tour any more,” Visconti said. “He’s had enough of it. But he hasn’t ruled out that he might do a show. It was a relief to me to hear that he was open to that.”

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:31

My guess is tha a "show" would be entirely all new material? Can't see him revisiting the old stuff for a one-off performance, but....he is Bowie.

Date: January 15, 2013 05:50

mgguy
My guess is tha a "show" would be entirely all new material? Can't see him revisiting the old stuff for a one-off performance, but....he is Bowie.

He performed Low and his then-new album Heathen in their entireties at a concert in 2002 at the Roseland Ballroom. That's the kind of show I could picture him doing. Given the cover of the album I could see him doing the same with Heroes but with Bowie you never know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 05:52 by LittleRockFitToTop.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 15, 2013 07:19

LittleRockFitToTop
mgguy

He performed Low and his then-new album Heathen in their entireties at a concert in 2002 at the Roseland Ballroom. That's the kind of show I could picture him doing. Given the cover of the album I could see him doing the same with Heroes but with Bowie you never know.
I don't see why if it was a one off show, he wouldn't a do show including stuff from his entire 45 year career. It would almost be a waste not to do a full career span show given we have no idea how many shows he has left, or wants to do. Also, it seems that in recent tour years he's been much more open to performing older material. Full album shows would be cool, and as you say we can't rule anything out with Bowie, but I wouldn't say a full career show is way out of the question.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 15, 2013 07:27

...all I know is he's magnificent and lucky us.

Date: January 15, 2013 07:44

LittleRockFitToTop
mgguy

I was at that Roseland Ballroom show and it was great. I remember being disappointed that he didn't play much more after the two albums (an encore of Hallo Spaceboy, Ashes to Ashes, Fashion and I'm Afraid of Americans) after repeatedly telling the audience what a long night it was gonna be. Still, it was cool to see him in such a small venue.

Date: January 15, 2013 08:00

WOW! That Roseland show was truly something special, you are very lucky to have been there. Sure, it might not have been as long as a full on show, but that was really something special. I have a poor quality boot of it, but you can still hear the genious of it. I really agree there is a strong connection with Low and Heathen and Bowie must have really felt that while making the album. I would not be surprised at all if he repeated that with his new one and Heroes.
But also, I can totally seeing Bowie doing some one off shows, or residencies playing a long set of career highlights for him. Not just the hits, he often likes to get into the deep tracks. His shows always are such a well done event, with lots of passion and high quality performances. I have seen Bowie 8 times, and every show was memorable. But I will say, the Reality show I saw in Singapore was the pinical. He was in perfect voice, happy, and played an incredible set with deep cuts and hits. And I finally got to see him perform Quicksand! One of my all time favorites from him:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 08:03 by whitem8.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 15, 2013 08:11

I have seen Bowie 8 times, and every show was memorable

His 'Let's dance'-show 1983 wasn't that Great, was it?

2 1 2 0

Date: January 15, 2013 08:16

____________________________________________________________________________________
WOW! That Roseland show was truly something special, you are very lucky to have been there. Sure, it might not have been as long as a full on show, but that was really something special.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, my wife and I were planning a trip to New York that summer anyway so planned it around that show and a couple others (Dictators at Maxwell's!). I just had to join the fan club for a limited amount of time in order to be able to buy tickets.

Of the four times I've seen Bowie I'd say the Reality Tour show in Vancouver in '03 was the best, though. Certainly the best set list. Vancouver '83, peaking on shrooms, age 18, was pretty fun, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 08:18 by andrewm.

Date: January 15, 2013 08:45

Come On

No it was great! I saw him both nights at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, and it was an amazing show. The sound was stellar, great set list and an amazing light/stage show. Not my favorite album by him, but those shows were stellar! And the band just cracked! And he was in fine strong voice as well. Much better than the Glass Spider tour. That was my least favorite show. At the Pontiac Silverdome, a terrible place for a concert, cheesy dancers, terrible cheesy 80s synth playing what were once heavy guitar licks, and what seemed to be a very disinterested Bowie going throught he motions. Not one of his best shows, but I still had fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 08:52 by whitem8.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:56

whitem8
Come On

No it was great! I saw him both nights at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, and it was an amazing show. The sound was stellar, great set list and an amazing light/stage show. Not my favorite album by him, but those shows were stellar! And the band just cracked! And he was in fine strong voice as well. Much better than the Glass Spider tour. That was my least favorite show. At the Pontiac Silverdome, a terrible place for a concert, cheesy dancers, terrible cheesy 80s synth playing what were once heavy guitar licks, and what seemed to be a very disinterested Bowie going throught he motions. Not one of his best shows, but I still had fun!

There is a great dvd from the Glass Spider tour -- if you've not seen it you should check it out. That tour gets slagged because of the huge Broadway-esque production but for hardcore fans the setlist was amazing: "All The Madmen", "Big Brother", and other very surprising selections.

Even at his most "commercial" Bowie seemed to make a point of pulling out obscure songs for his setlists,

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 15, 2013 11:19

Come On

The 1983 Serious Moonlight tour is my overall favourite. The Reality tour had brilliant setlists but the overall staging of Serious Moonlight was unequalled imo. The setlist was very good with most of his albums to date represented and the band were terrific. (Earl Slick was back for a start.)

Date: January 15, 2013 11:23

rebelrebel
Come On

The 1983 Serious Moonlight tour is my overall favourite. The Reality tour had brilliant setlists but the overall staging of Serious Moonlight was unequalled imo. The setlist was very good with most of his albums to date represented and the band were terrific. (Earl Slick was back for a start.)

Yeah there's a fantastic SERIOUS MOONLIGHT dvd as well.

I wish he/they would release decent dvds of the late 70s tours.

Date: January 15, 2013 11:48

Glam Descendant
whitem8
Come On

There is a great dvd from the Glass Spider tour -- if you've not seen it you should check it out. That tour gets slagged because of the huge Broadway-esque production but for hardcore fans the setlist was amazing: "All The Madmen", "Big Brother", and other very surprising selections.

Even at his most "commercial" Bowie seemed to make a point of pulling out obscure songs for his setlists,
Yeah I have it. And it just doesn't do much for me. Yes, he did pick some very interesting songs, such as Sons of the Silent Age, one of my favorites! But it was ruined! The wonderful Sax part he plays so well, he replaced with very cheesy sounding synths. WHich happened a lot on this tour. Frampton was ok, but I think he was heavily under Bowie's strict control. Additionally, Never Let Me Down is probably Bowie's weakest album, and touring behind it didn't help at all. Some really sketchy stuff on that album. A few good ones, but not enough to redeem it. All in all I really don't like that tour, and I have several very good quality boots from it, but boy it has not aged well. It sounds totally cheesy 80's and all of Bowie's wit and hard edge is sanded away for the ultimate commercial tour.
And I did think Serious Moonlight was very well done. Again, Let's Dance isn't my favorite of his, but that tour was wonderful. And a big, huge comeback for Bowie, which really led him down the retirement plan path, to put out increasingly commercial material with bigger tours, that led to Tonight and Never Let Me Down. I have read in numerous interviews that Bowie considers Never Let Me Down his worst album, with Tonight close behind it. That whole period did a lot to sour Bowie on recording and touring, and led him to try to smash his popularity by creating Tin Machine.

Date: January 15, 2013 12:36

OH they were the darkest of days for Bowie fans no doubt. I just meant that there is some redeeming stuff if you're willing to investigate.

Bowie claims the demo of "Loving The Alien" is amazing -- let's hope he releases it someday!

While we are on this subject, can anyone explain why "Too Dizzy' mysteriously vanished after the first pressings of NEVER LET ME DOWN?

Date: January 15, 2013 12:41

I think the demo of Loving the Alien is a lot like the version he did on the Reality DVD. Just him and the guitarist, stunning!

Date: January 15, 2013 12:46

Date: January 15, 2013 12:49

Glam Descendant

Everything I hate about the 80s is here.

Jeeze David... that mullet.

The production of that record is terrible.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1163
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home