Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:28

JumpingKentFlash
GravityBoy
JumpingKentFlash
The music is a mix between Slip Away and Bring Me The Disco King. It's the way I was kinda hoping he'd evolve.

Two brilliant pieces of music.

It's beyond brilliant.

Listening to this track reminds me of one of the essential differences between David and the Stones: with Bowie, throughout his career, there has always been the POSSIBILITY of something new. Sometimes that something new has been brilliant; other times not so much.

The Stones have by contrast calcified and though we love them we spend a lot of time lamenting the comparison between their current and former selves. With David, though, his current self is always paramount ... always interesting ... potentially great. He is forever curious, from an artistic pt of view.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:59

... seems to me the new song / vid is a commentary on current trends ...

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 9, 2013 00:09

Happy 66th Birthday David Bowie!!!

Welcome back!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 00:32

hmmm...I wanted to like it but...it's just sort of ok.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 9, 2013 00:35

Nice song, but I can't stand the twin heads thing. It looks kind of creepy.

I was expecting some guy to come up and slit their eye like in the pre-concert movie from the 1976 tour I think it was "Un Chien Andalou" by Luis Bunuel.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 9, 2013 00:37

Bowie's back!!! ...what about Buck Griffin's - Bow My Back

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 9, 2013 01:36

C R K
So what do you all think of the new album art that I posted a link to previously? Pretty cool I think and a brave idea but I'm sure a lot of people will be very confused by it... (yes it seems to be for real)

It appears to be the real cover : [virusfonts.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 9, 2013 01:47

It is the real cover. While I am excited as hell about the album, not too happy with the cover art.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 9, 2013 01:51

the cover art is ridiculous - but not enough to be cool

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 9, 2013 01:54

whitem8
It is the real cover. While I am excited as hell about the album, not too happy with the cover art.

It's not "nice" coverart for sure, but it's really really cool of Bowie to go along with such a wild idea from the artmakers. Don't think many musicians, at least not of Bowie's stature, would go along with something like THAT

Date: January 9, 2013 02:13

Yeah I get it Erik, just not that enamoured with it, seems kind of cheap, especially after such a long wait. But I am sure, like many things Bowie, I will warm to it and eventually love it!

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: January 9, 2013 03:26

kowalski
[video]

[/video

Sounds good!! What a surprise! Happy Birthday, David!

"Where are we now?" Broke and need some cash flow. Whatever it takes to get the talent moving.

Stones and Bowie together? How cool would that be?! (As long as they don't do Dancing In The Street...I almost forgot about that.....)

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 9, 2013 03:45

hbwriter
the cover art is ridiculous - but not enough to be cool

Blame it on the designer ...

Quote:
– Why the white square obscuring the image?
We worked on hundreds of designs using the concept of obscuring this cover but the strongest ones were the simplest – it had to be something that was in direct contrast to the image underneath but that wasn’t too contrived (we know all design is contrived, that is the essence of the word ‘design’). It would have been clearer to many people if we had scribbled all over the cover but that didn’t have the detachment of intent necessary to express the melancholy of the songs on the album. Obscuring Bowie’s image is also reference to his identity, not only in the past when he changed endlessly but that he has been absent from the music scene for the past ten years. Was this an act to hide his identity or that he has simply become more comfortable with it?
[virusfonts.com]

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: January 9, 2013 03:54

This is a really good song. Can't stop playing it.

Date: January 9, 2013 04:05

Where are We Now sounds a lot like something from Buddha of Suburbia, mixed with Heathen.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 9, 2013 04:09

gwen

Max'sKansasCity
Interesting he is doing the lyrics on screen ala "Doom and Gloom", or are all groups doing that these days?

Exactly what I was thinking - what is it with these karaoke videos?
winking smiley
Maybe karaoke is what made me say that. Recently I have been trying out playing around with a new free game on XBOX called karaoke, not that I would admit that, but the... well anyway... yeah the video does kind of look like the karaoke game.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 04:13

Max'sKansasCity
gwen

Max'sKansasCity
Interesting he is doing the lyrics on screen ala "Doom and Gloom", or are all groups doing that these days?

winking smiley
Maybe karaoke is what made me say that. Recently I have been trying out playing around with a new free game on XBOX called karaoke, not that I would admit that, but the... well anyway... yeah the video does kind of look like the karaoke game.

Did you do My Way or New York, New York yet?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 9, 2013 04:20

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
gwen

Max'sKansasCity

winking smiley

Did you do My Way or New York, New York yet?
I didnt see those, I have only tried the free songs,
but those might be ok songs for my voice... maybe... if
no other people or animals were within listening range. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-09 04:22 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 9, 2013 05:37

Great news.Dude is iconic. Saw him live in 1990. Fantastic performer. Love his music..

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 9, 2013 07:25

Morbid and depressing song with look back references and nothing to look forward to, sung with very weak vocals that at least do fit in with the morbid and depressing tone.

Makes Leonard Cohen seem like Speed Metal.

Maybe David has been listening to too much Leonard Cohen.

After 10 years if all someone can come out with is that, then that might make someone morbid and depressed, but it might be done on purpose by Bowie reflecting on the current state of pop music, you never know with Bowie.

The album might be different but from what I've heard it's supposed to be melancholy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-09 07:30 by howled.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 9, 2013 07:36

so excited about the new comint up album smiling smiley))
couldnt believe when i went to his site yesterday and did see all changes, i have played the song a dozens times smiling smiley
waited so long.... did see one of his last shows.... must be a decade ago...
welcome back Mr. Bowie smiling smiley)

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-09 07:40 by MononoM.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: January 9, 2013 09:43

howled
Morbid and depressing song with look back references and nothing to look forward to, sung with very weak vocals that at least do fit in with the morbid and depressing tone.

Makes Leonard Cohen seem like Speed Metal.

Maybe David has been listening to too much Leonard Cohen.

After 10 years if all someone can come out with is that, then that might make someone morbid and depressed, but it might be done on purpose by Bowie reflecting on the current state of pop music, you never know with Bowie.

The album might be different but from what I've heard it's supposed to be melancholy.

According to Visconti, the rest of the album will be 'rockier'. [thequietus.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-09 09:44 by TotalBB.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 9, 2013 09:58

Yeah, the melancholy bit he talks about was just about the released track and he was surprised that that was the first release and he also says the other tracks are rockier.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: January 9, 2013 10:23

riverrat
Stones and Bowie together? How cool would that be?! (As long as they don't do Dancing In The Street...I almost forgot about that.....)
I hope they would do Diamond Dogs. For me it's the most Stonesy Bowie song.

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: January 9, 2013 10:29

great news! I'm his big fan. But his voice sounds a bit of achy and old to me in iTunes preview

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 9, 2013 10:55

>For me it's the most Stonesy Bowie song.

Good choice though I'd say "Watch That Man", with honourable mention to Ronson's very Keithish tone on "Panic In Detroit".

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 9, 2013 12:04

I'm so glad he's back!
I didn't fall from the chair from the new song, but it's still definitely Bowie and maybe the album will be more interesting

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 9, 2013 14:06

TotalBB

According to Visconti, the rest of the album will be 'rockier'. [thequietus.com]

Wow, thanks for finding that! He's really bigging up the album, I'm really excited now. He said the same sort of things about Heathen and that lived up to the expectations so I'm very hopeful.

Interesting to read to that this recording has been going on for years. What a well kept secret!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 9, 2013 14:41

The Sicilian
Nice song, but I can't stand the twin heads thing. It looks kind of creepy.

I was expecting some guy to come up and slit their eye like in the pre-concert movie from the 1976 tour I think it was "Un Chien Andalou" by Luis Bunuel.

Yes it was Un Chien Andalou; a film also based on Dali.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 9, 2013 15:25

So "walking the dead" can be seen as a metaphor for Western capitalism? Why does David skip the diacritic marks? He says Nurnberger Straße instead of Nürnberger Straße and Bose Brucke instead of Böse Brücke. I mean, he lived in Berlin for quite some time. This is art by the way. David is a true artist. Both the song, the lyrics and the video are brilliant. Some other masters in this discipline comes to mind when watching this: Peter Gabriel and Björk (note the diacritics - it's not Bjork!).

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home