Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Date: January 8, 2013 15:48

Bowie is still pissed at us norwegian for the lollipop-incident?

Anyways, he's wearing a t-shirt with "(M/S) the song of Norway" in the video smiling smiley

I know it's a ship, but heck, it's all the reviewers are writing about now.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 8, 2013 15:53

DandelionPowderman

Anyways, he's wearing a t-shirt with "(M/S) the song of Norway" in the video smiling smiley

Maybe Norway is "in" now? Jagger mentioned Norway, together with only Japan and England in the PPV show, as well. That means we'll be "out" next year....these things goes in circles, you know

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:01

Telegraph seems to like it:
"Lush, stately, beautifully strange, weaving resonant piano chords, decaying synths and echoing drums around a simple chord progression and a weary, tenderly understated, quietly defiant vocal, David Bowie’s elegiac new single may be the most surprising, perfect and welcome comeback in rock history."

Date: January 8, 2013 17:01

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Maybe Norway is "in" now? Jagger mentioned Norway, together with only Japan and England in the PPV show, as well. That means we'll be "out" next year....these things goes in circles, you know

Probably, or did Mick think in terms of norwegian likely being over-represented at the shows, with oil money plastered in their foreheads? I dunno...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:18

superrevvy
oh just great. music to commit suicide to. just what we need.

music for critics and w ankers.

the only thing good about it is that it makes "one more shot" seem like "happy".
You seem like a bitter, old man.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:18

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Probably, or did Mick think in terms of norwegian likely being over-represented at the shows, with oil money plastered in their foreheads? I dunno...

a) Didn't Norway get a free transmission thereby increasing viewing numbers?
b) Surely Mick will know of BV? A nod to his fandom would hardly be out of order.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:43

Grison
I am a great Bowie Fan, but the song does not appeal to Bowie at all. It's a try to compensate history with today. Bowie used to be the "A" Person for new videos. I think it's a rememberance of better times. Very sad at least to me.

Anyway I'll keep my memories of the Aladdin Sane and Berlin trilody albums and the wonderful concerts I was able to attend.

Yeah I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but that song reminds me of "Day In, Day Out" with less rythm and that's not a compliment...a very far cry from the excellent songs on his 2002 and 2003 albums...Heathen was particularly good, best since, hum...Scary Monsters from 1980 ?

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 8, 2013 17:51

I like it. Regardless of how it compares to his earlier work, it's wistful and beautiful and I'm glad to have it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 8, 2013 18:00

Just watched the video. It really is amazing to see him again. wonderful.

It may not be in accordance with what many want, or what many expect; but then again, Bowie usually confounded his audience.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 8, 2013 18:06

It's pure Bowie.
Evocative and haunting.
minimalist lyrics with a lush sound.
Pure Bowie.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: January 8, 2013 18:22

First half of the song sounds like Pink Floyd to me

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 8, 2013 18:25

Whoa, what an incredible surprise!
Amazing in today's internet age that Bowie could pull off a major secret like this one.

My first thought on the woman was that maybe it was the actress from the 'China Girl' video.

Weird when they reveal it was them sticking there faces through cut-outs at the end of the video.

Really, really something special here.
Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: January 8, 2013 18:52

the pics in the beginning are showing the house where david lived together with iggy, berlin-schöneberg, hauptstrasse 155, ca. 1976-78.

Dschungel in the nürnberger strasse was a discotheque (listen to ideal- ich steh auf berlin ...(ca. 1981) "...mal sehen was im dschungel läuft..." (let's have a look what's going on in the dschungel). david used to go there while he was having an affair with the actress romy haag. romy had a nightclub called "chez romy".

Bösebrücke is the bridge of bornholmer strasse where 1989 november 9th the first people came over from east- to west-berlin.

the angel shown is belonging to the siegessäule.

as a guy living in berlin and as a bowie-fan (first are the stones!) i was surprised by the text of this song, seems to me a sad remembering of this time

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 8, 2013 19:38

firebird
First half of the song sounds like Pink Floyd to me

Yes I forgot to mention above that there was a bit of Roger Waters in there, interesting lyrics, music...not so much.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: January 8, 2013 19:46

Welcome back David! I like the song. It reminds me the mood of Fantastic Voyage.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 8, 2013 19:47

Amazed . I thought he had retired completely.

sc uk

Date: January 8, 2013 19:52

tracklisting:
The Next Day
Dirty Boys
The Stars (Are out Tonight)
Love Is Lost
Where Are We Now?
Valentine's Day
If You Can See Me
I'd Rather Be High
Boss of Me
Dancing Out in Space
How Deoes the Grass Grow?
(You Will) Set the World On Fire)
Heat
So She (Bonus Track)
I'll Take You There (Bonus Track)
Plan (Bonus Track)

the 3 bonus tracks are on a deluxe edition

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: January 8, 2013 20:56

Great song imo. Don't miss out on the new album cover (and the story of the new cover).

[pitchfork.com]

[virusfonts.com]

Date: January 8, 2013 21:00

Here's the new pressphoto btw:

Date: January 8, 2013 21:51

Like others have said, what I'm most impressed about is the secrecy of the whole thing. I don't think anybody saw this coming. I had pretty much decided he had retired for good. When I read the headlines this morning I had to do a doulbe take to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

In an era of surprising music veteran comebacks, I guess anything is possible. I can't believe the roll Leonard Cohen has been on since his comeback in 2008. (And he's 78) And I think we all agree the Stones surprised everyone on the 50 and Counting dates.

I had been wondering recently what Bowie thought of all of his contemporaries or those who came right before or after him staying so active - The Stones, Macca, David Byrne, etc.

As for the song/video, I think it fits nicely alongside late-era Bowie, i.e. "Thursday's Child," "Slip Away," "Bring Me the Disco King," etc. His head imposed in the video reminds me of his performance of "Boys Keep Swinging" on SNL. And of course all of the Berlin imagery in the video harkens back to that era. No doubt it has an autumnal feeling of looking back. Despite his reputation for being so visionary and forward-looking he's always had a soft spot for melancholy. For example I know he's a huge Neil Young fan.

It was also nice to see Mick Jagger's Facebook page wish Bowie a happy birthday. As for live dates, I know tons of young hispsters that would like nothing more than to see him in concert. I would say it's highly doubful he will tour, but I've been proved wrong time and time again by such predictions. (See: Cohen, Leonard; Stones, The Rolling)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 21:52 by LittleRockFitToTop.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 8, 2013 21:55

Bowie couldn't have left us with his previous recording: Little Fat Man.

I don't think he needs to tour, as he has done so well without touring.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:07

Max'sKansasCity
Interesting he is doing the lyrics on screen ala "Doom and Gloom", or are all groups doing that these days?

Exactly what I was thinking - what is it with these karaoke videos?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:10

tomcasagranda

Did you see him in 2003 ?

I wouldn't mind seeing that again !

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:15

This was a total surprise, and great news!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:42

It's great that he's back, but I don't care for the new song at all.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 8, 2013 22:54

I'm totally over the moon, another few pieces to add to the collection....

Could he tour???? Looks well, all the weight from the Steroids has been shed.

You've made my day posting this.

I'll be getting the old vinyls out tonight in celebration

Date: January 8, 2013 23:01

Edith Grove
tomcasagranda

Did you see him in 2003 ?

I wouldn't mind seeing that again !

Those 2002/2003 shows were amazing. I saw him 4 times on the Heathen/Reality tour and he was amazing at every show. When he had heart problems and had to cancel the end of his tour I thought it was so unfortunate because he was at the peak of his game. Of course that could have also been a good way to stop - at the top of his game.

Perhaps a limited run of shows in London/New York might be a good idea. Sound familiar?

I've just got so many younger friends that have never had to opportunity to see him live. He's like the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin - every new generation picks him up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 23:03 by LittleRockFitToTop.

Posted by: ts ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:03

Watched the video. Will probably iTunes the LP. How he did this without any hype is pretty much classic Bowie. Diamond Dogs and Station to Station are always in my shuffle rotation. As is Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and The Stones It's only Rock n Roll. Thanks

Date: January 8, 2013 23:05

ts
How he did this without any hype is pretty much classic Bowie.

I agree 100%. The master of reinvention and enigma.

Date: January 8, 2013 23:26

So what do you all think of the new album art that I posted a link to previously? Pretty cool I think and a brave idea but I'm sure a lot of people will be very confused by it... (yes it seems to be for real)

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home