Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 27, 2015 06:16

Hairball
Another scorcher today in So.Cal with BIG waves being generated from Hurricane Patricia - surf's up! thumbs up

Big waves and warm El Nino water?!....I hope you aren't complaining too much Hairball! What are the water temps like? Noticeably warmer?

I have some great surfing memories down there, Leo Carillo, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington and Laguna. Have some fun getting wet my friend!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2015 06:49

Yes, noticeably warmer, and it's been this way all summer...and now Fall. Water temp. 10 degrees above normal at 71 °F - no wetsuit necessary.
I was at Zuma Beach and County Line (Ventura/L.A.) today - Leo Carillo is right in between them. Waves expected to get even bigger tomorrow and the next few days! thumbs up
I assume you used to live down here? I've also surfed all the places you mentioned. From San Diego to Santa Cruz, and many places in between.
Born and raised in Santa Monica, now in Ventura county since '89 - with a few extended detours throughout the years (Hawaii, England, Netherlands).
I lived in Arizona for almost a year when I was 13 and almost died lol, have to live near a coast, otherwise I'm a fish out of water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-27 06:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 27, 2015 08:59

GasLightStreet
Aquamarine
GasLightStreet
Hurricane Patricia remnants having a breeze in Texas and Louisiana. Finally got some rain after 100 days or so with about an inch.

You must live near me, GasLightStreet. grinning smiley In fact, the ground around here was so rocksolid because of the drought that we're now in danger of flooding.

SE LA. I've not been to the lakefront but from what I understand it's been under water.

Nice ton of rain from Patricia.

Not that near, I guess--I'm in NE LA. But the rain has done us a lot of good here, except the places with flash floods.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2015 18:02

Aquamarine
GasLightStreet
Aquamarine
GasLightStreet
Hurricane Patricia remnants having a breeze in Texas and Louisiana. Finally got some rain after 100 days or so with about an inch.

You must live near me, GasLightStreet. grinning smiley In fact, the ground around here was so rocksolid because of the drought that we're now in danger of flooding.

SE LA. I've not been to the lakefront but from what I understand it's been under water.

Nice ton of rain from Patricia.

Not that near, I guess--I'm in NE LA. But the rain has done us a lot of good here, except the places with flash floods.

Which NE LA? The lower part of the boot or the upper part of the boot?!?

Date: October 31, 2015 18:06

Word on the webstreet is next hurricane season will be similar to 2005.

I think what's been going on the past few years has been very confusing for a lot of people; they see that the weather is doing more things and it blows their mind yet they don't make the connection that it's happening all over the globe and that it should be very concerning.

For example...

4 hurricanes in the Eastern Pacific at one time? That's never happened in recorded weather history before. True, the Nino has an influence on hurricane development in that region but back when the last strong Nino happened there weren't 4 hurricanes in the EP.

Keep in mind that's the area between Mexico and the International Date Line. West of there... typhoons.

The remnants of Patricia caught a lot of people in Texas and Louisiana by surprise. It also caught the weather people by surprise.

I'm not surprised by any of it.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: October 31, 2015 22:56

It's really windy and rainy here in Victoria. I got soaked during my paper route at 5 AM this morning

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 31, 2015 23:01

stones2000
It's really windy and rainy here in Victoria. I got soaked during my paper route at 5 AM this morning

Bundle up stones2000, and be sure you have a bike light. smiling smiley

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: October 31, 2015 23:52

latebloomer
stones2000

I don't mind rain...I'd rather have rain than just cloud. Clouds are so dreary. At least when it's raining, the weather is committed to being bad spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 1, 2015 03:22

stones2000
latebloomer
stones2000

I don't mind rain...I'd rather have rain than just cloud. Clouds are so dreary. At least when it's raining, the weather is committed to being bad spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

True. I've often felt the same way when it's really cold and rainy....that if it's going to be that cold, it might as well be snowing.

Beautiful weather here today in Virginia. The fall colors have peaked...in a week or so, most of the leaves will be on the ground.

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 1, 2015 03:57

Weather is interesting.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 1, 2015 04:26

Rainy & windy in Seattle. A good November storm a day early. Is ok as long as the power & cable tv are happening. I haven't had to run the furnace this year. No snow is key for me. Wet & cold are literally painful for me.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 1, 2015 18:37

no snow yet, sun today, getting colder... might attend the community-outdoor-swimmingpool though, it is our towns meeting place.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 1, 2015 19:05

And in foggy London town it's .... foggy

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 1, 2015 20:07

...and in Froggy Stockholm it's...Froggy

2 1 2 0

Date: November 1, 2015 20:39

Come On, that frog is just lovely...have to wonder how that happens.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 1, 2015 21:01

latebloomer

I believe that is none other than the poison dart frog my dear, lovely indeed and the color is probably a naturally evolved defense that instinctively tells other creatures it's better to watch the guy than eat him.

Date: November 1, 2015 21:22

Naturalust
latebloomer

I believe that is none other than the poison dart frog my dear, lovely indeed and the color is probably a naturally evolved defense that instinctively tells other creatures it's better to watch the guy than eat him.

Good to know, NL...gives a whole new meaning to fatal attraction. smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 1, 2015 23:58

Very nice weather over Paris today : 20+°C... and pollution levels that would make a Chinese proud! grinning smiley The yellow tint in the air was spectacular.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 2, 2015 00:10

Just had a very heavy shower in Almeria, Spain .

Very windy today with sunny periods and 18C at most.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 2, 2015 01:05

Hairball
Yes, noticeably warmer, and it's been this way all summer...and now Fall. Water temp. 10 degrees above normal at 71 °F - no wetsuit necessary.
I was at Zuma Beach and County Line (Ventura/L.A.) today - Leo Carillo is right in between them. Waves expected to get even bigger tomorrow and the next few days! thumbs up
I assume you used to live down here? I've also surfed all the places you mentioned. From San Diego to Santa Cruz, and many places in between.
Born and raised in Santa Monica, now in Ventura county since '89 - with a few extended detours throughout the years (Hawaii, England, Netherlands).
I lived in Arizona for almost a year when I was 13 and almost died lol, have to live near a coast, otherwise I'm a fish out of water.

I went swimming in Santa Monica Friday -- felt to be about 65 degrees, which is warmer than San Francisco right now, but still respectably nippy.

San Francisco is unseasonably warm lately (mid 70s almost every day). It's oddly damp, which isn't something I've experienced much of here, where I live in the Mission District, which is typically warm and dry--only seen fog a few times in the Mission, as opposed to other neighborhoods I've lived in, like right off the Panhandle, the Inner Richmond, and Russian Hill near the water, where fog was common. Today is around 70 degrees with uncharacteristically heavy cloud cover, and seagulls flying around (which usually happens only before it rains).

Date: November 2, 2015 03:23

swiss
Hairball

I went swimming in Santa Monica Friday -- felt to be about 65 degrees, which is warmer than San Francisco right now, but still respectably nippy.

San Francisco is unseasonably warm lately (mid 70s almost every day). It's oddly damp, which isn't something I've experienced much of here, where I live in the Mission District, which is typically warm and dry--only seen fog a few times in the Mission, as opposed to other neighborhoods I've lived in, like right off the Panhandle, the Inner Richmond, and Russian Hill near the water, where fog was common. Today is around 70 degrees with uncharacteristically heavy cloud cover, and seagulls flying around (which usually happens only before it rains).

The ocean temps have indeed dropped several degrees since I posted the above last Monday - possibly due to evening temps dropping quite a bit. Today was the last day of heat, and a huge fog bank made it onto shore at about noon. One mile inland though it was still bright, warm, and sunny. Temps are due to drop about 10-15 degrees here, and a high possibility of rain later tomorrow - thankfully. I suppose the 'endless summer' might finally be coming to an end...

I'm not too familiar with San Francisco and all it's neighborhoods but have visited there quite a few time in my life. Was there with my wife for a week last February, and we were blessed with warm sunny weather. On the other hand, I've been there before where it was quite cold and windy. Reminds me of one the Stones shows up there during the Licks tour. If memory serves it sprinkled on Sheryl Crowe haha, but cleared up for when the Stones came on! It's a great city, and look forward to returning again soon! thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 2, 2015 09:10

latebloomer
Naturalust
latebloomer

Good to know, NL...gives a whole new meaning to fatal attraction. smileys with beer

smiling smiley Wasn't it Sting that had a album about a Blue turtle...time for the Blue Frog album from somebody soon...and yes, a very Lovely creature indeed Latebloomer...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 2, 2015 19:19

UK - foggy

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 2, 2015 20:46

Leaves on the ground, but unusually warm for the season, 14 C. But this has been a trend for the last decade. And I live only 4 hours (with car) away from the polar circle...

Date: November 11, 2015 01:35

Cold, wet, dreary day here and now with daylight savings, the sunshine leaves before dinner time...then I saw this. Good koselig, everyone. smiling smiley

What We Can Learn from Norwegians About Surviving Winter

I am not a winter person, by anyone’s definition. Year round, I spend as much time as possible basking on a beach, sprawled out on warm sand, only getting up for brief swims in salty waters. But when I got involved with a sweet Scandinavian and decided to visit him in Norway for Valentine’s Day, I braced myself for the worst. After all, the most northern part of the country kisses the Arctic Ocean and about a third of the land is located within the Polar Circle. Winter starts in October and can stretch till April, and during those months, the sun is so weak it barely makes its presence known before disappearing entirely around 4 or 5 pm. The cities are often coated in snow and the countryside stays blanketed throughout the season.

But then I heard about the concept of “koselig,” which loosely translates into English as “cozy,” but during the week I spent in Oslo, I heard it described as many different things, including inner warmth; intimacy; a home-cooked meal; candlelight; and a deep, physical feeling; which a man demonstrated to me by clutching a fist to his heart and closing his eyes. It could even be something as simple as pulling on a traditional Scandinavian sweater, patterned in a classic blue, red, and white Marius design.

In Norway, koselig—pronounced kush-lee—is more than a concept. It is part of the culture. Local bars often supply wool blankets and sheepskin or reindeer pelts that you can pull over your lap while you sip a pint or share a bottle of wine. Interior spaces are designed to radiate light, and many bathrooms have heated floors to warm slush-chilled feet. At one dinner party, I even noticed a big basket of hand-knitted Norwegian wool socks that guests could borrow to curl up on the couch, and soon got my own personal pair, which had been made by a grandmother. That only intensified the koselig factor, because you could sense the care and love that went into them. Dinner itself was koselig, largely because it was held at a friend’s home among a small group of close-knit friends who prepared their meal together, refreshed one another’s wine glasses, and brewed countless pots of thick, rich coffee. An evening such as that, I was told, is considered more koselig than simply meeting at a restaurant because of the privacy generating a kind of openness, playfulness, and honesty that would be harder to achieve in a noisy public place.

Initially, I thought of koselig as a kind of coping mechanism, a way of finding comforts during the dark, cold months of winter, when much of the city burrows deep until spring. But for Norwegians, winter is not something to be endured; it is something to be enjoyed, with small pleasures taken liberally and often, as part of their way of life. That idea is completely foreign to me as a longtime New Yorker—the idea that winter can be anything but an unbearable onslaught of misery and abject denial about freezing cold trips to the subway, slivers of icy winds sliding into the gap between scarf and coat, slippery sidewalks and shoes ruined by those hellish piles of half-frozen gray water that cover all of the crosswalks. But despite the conditions outside, we rarely cancel lunch meetings and after-work drinks, skip big events or even stop ordering delivery. Taking refuge until warmer weather prevails is almost unthinkable. Shuttered train lines and snow days may start out as a welcome reprieve from the treacherous outdoors, but it can quickly devolve into cabin fever and boredom, a restlessness that pushes us back into the bad weather, compelling us to trudge back into the sleet and ice to a restaurant or to a party. In our refusal to hibernate, to accept that our routines, habits and behaviors should shift as the days get shorter, we mistake defeat as resiliency, and we only make the season harder on ourselves.

In a few days, I leave Oslo and head back to New York–just in time for another round of snowstorms and brutally chilly winds. A recent report called for a brittle 11 degrees on Sunday night and more snow on Monday. But even though the forecast sounds like the perfect conditions for koselig, it might be hard to export what I’ve learned to love about it back in Brooklyn. Our city isn’t made for people who like to stay indoors, who are content with hunkering down when an entire world of parties, people, opportunities lie just outside their stoop, buzzing along regardless of the weather. But my plan is to try, at least. I’ve got my wool socks and a new sheepskin hat to keep me warm. That way, even if I have to leave my sweet Scandinavian back in Oslo and struggle through the rest of New York’s winter by my lonesome, sipping varmsjokolade (hot chocolate) and eating a stearinlys-middag (candlelight dinner) alone, I can still remember the best parts about my brief time in a Norwegian winter.

[www.vogue.com]

Date: November 11, 2015 02:35

The 'high possibility of rain' that was predicted to hit my area last week was a no-show. eye rolling smiley
There was also low possibility of light rain last night - never happened.
Dry and sunny days with a mini-heatwave by the end of the week at 80ºF.
The night temps have definitely dropped to a 'freezing' average of 50ºF.
Ocean temps slightly dropping, but still lingering around 65ºF.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:08

Hairball
swiss
Hairball

The ocean temps have indeed dropped several degrees since I posted the above last Monday - possibly due to evening temps dropping quite a bit. Today was the last day of heat, and a huge fog bank made it onto shore at about noon. One mile inland though it was still bright, warm, and sunny. Temps are due to drop about 10-15 degrees here, and a high possibility of rain later tomorrow - thankfully. I suppose the 'endless summer' might finally be coming to an end...

I'm not too familiar with San Francisco and all it's neighborhoods but have visited there quite a few time in my life. Was there with my wife for a week last February, and we were blessed with warm sunny weather. On the other hand, I've been there before where it was quite cold and windy. Reminds me of one the Stones shows up there during the Licks tour. If memory serves it sprinkled on Sheryl Crowe haha, but cleared up for when the Stones came on! It's a great city, and look forward to returning again soon! thumbs up

There's high pressure a good ways out in the Pacific just north of San Francisco latitude wise. That's pulling down cool air from the Gulf Of Alaska, which looks like it has a typhoon remnant hanging out. That probably helped with cooling the water down!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:19

Central Mexico - Today
Elevation: 7000 feet (2134 meters) above sea level
High: 74ºF (23ºC)
Low: 52ºF (11ºC)
Sunny and clear

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 11, 2015 18:09

The UK has just decided that our big Atlantic winter storms are going to have names from now on - just like other people's hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones. So we are about to get battered by Storm Abigail...

[www.theguardian.com]

Under the scheme, storms will be named when they are deemed to have the potential to cause a substantial impact in the UK and/or Ireland.

Abigail is the first on the list of winning names, followed by Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

Date: November 11, 2015 18:35

Green Lady
The UK has just decided that our big Atlantic winter storms are going to have names from now on - just like other people's hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones. So we are about to get battered by Storm Abigail...

[www.theguardian.com]

Under the scheme, storms will be named when they are deemed to have the potential to cause a substantial impact in the UK and/or Ireland.

Abigail is the first on the list of winning names, followed by Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

I see no Q on the list...I suppose naming a huge storm the 'Queen' might not be a very good choice. smiling smiley
(although I do know someone by the name of Quiana).
I see no U, X, or Z either....

“A vigorous depression is expected to pass just to the north-west of Scotland on Thursday night bringing a swathe of very strong winds on its eastern and southern flanks.”

I hope Abigail doesn't wreak too much havoc, and everyone in Scotland stays safe!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home