Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2015 18:41

Green Lady
The UK has just decided that our big Atlantic winter storms are going to have names from now on - just like other people's hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones. So we are about to get battered by Storm Abigail...

[www.theguardian.com]

Under the scheme, storms will be named when they are deemed to have the potential to cause a substantial impact in the UK and/or Ireland.

Abigail is the first on the list of winning names, followed by Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

That's ridiculous. The Weather Channel - which, the past few years, hardly shows anything about the weather and is more interested in stupid reality shows that are complete bunk - started naming winter storms in the US a few years back. Some people even thought it was be good for "raising awareness", even though I'm pretty sure "A blizzard is about to leave the Midwest and will dump a ton of snow on the Great Lakes from Chicago to Cleveland" is just as "raising awareness" as some stupid name and the fact that the National Weather Service gave TWC no mind at all and will not name winter storms, that only tropical systems will be named... winter storms across a continent go west to east, there is no wandering around like tropical storms do.

There was also a twisted idea that it was because of insurance claims.

Thanks to and making fun of the eggheads at TWC I name clear days, cloudy days, drizzly days, windy days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 16:02 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:44

Veðrið á Islandi er kalt 4 til 6 gráður Celcius og verður áfram næstu daga. takk og bless.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:47

Cold, stormy and rainy (almost) in Sweden. Business as usual in other words.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 16, 2015 00:45

GasLightStreet
Green Lady
The UK has just decided that our big Atlantic winter storms are going to have names from now on - just like other people's hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones. So we are about to get battered by Storm Abigail...

[www.theguardian.com]

Under the scheme, storms will be named when they are deemed to have the potential to cause a substantial impact in the UK and/or Ireland.

Abigail is the first on the list of winning names, followed by Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

That's ridiculous. The Weather Channel - which, the past few years, hardly shows anything about the weather and is more interested in stupid reality shows that are complete bunk - started naming winter storms in the US a few years back. Some people even though it was be good for "raising awareness", even though I'm pretty sure "A blizzard is about to leave the Midwest and will dump a ton of snow on the Great Lakes from Chicago to Cleveland" is just as "raising awareness" as some stupid name and the fact that the National Weather Service gave TWC no mind at all and will not name winter storms, that only tropical systems will be named... winter storms across a continent go west to east, there is no wandering around like tropical storms do.

Thanks to and making fun of the eggheads at TWC I name clear days, cloudy days, drizzly days, windy days...

The personification of weather storms, trying to understand the reasons and implications of it, coming up short. Perhaps they will start giving all these bad storms Islamic names in order to subliminally brainwash us or something.

"The storm Osama in the Bin Laden front is about to hit the western seaboard with incredible force. Everybody should hunker down inside with fear and horror, your government has this under control and we will inform you when it's ok to go outside again." grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 16, 2015 01:57

Veðrið á Islandi er kalt 4 til 6 gráður Celcius og verður áfram næstu daga. takk og bless.

Holland veðrið er ekki kalt fyrir tíma árs, 14 til 16 gráður á Celsíus og því mun halda áfram á næstu vikum. Þakka þér og bless.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:02

I like it when storms have names...but I can see where it would bug some. I think personification is fun. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2015 23:20

.................................................. Eddystone Rock

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 21, 2015 00:55

First day of snow came with the terrorists. Still on the plus side of the Celsius scale though. Which is a bit unusual.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2015 03:07

Rockman

.................................................. Eddystone Rock

thumbs up

Eddystone rock

"A recently discovered Tasmanian Big Wave spot lying 26 kilometres off the south coast near Pedra Blanca. The main wave breaks to the east of Pedra Blanca near a bathymetric feature called Eddystone rock. Featured in the Tom Carroll, Ross Clarke Jones documentary "StormSurfers". If you're heading out here to surf, you'll either be one of the handful of guys in the world that can tow-in to these monsters, or have a death wish".

Photo: Andrew Chisholm

Marti Paradisis at Eddystone Rock: “This is a image that won the biggest wave in Australia for 2012".
Photographer Andrew Chisholm

Date: November 21, 2015 05:29

Cold and more cold tonight in the football stand. Thank the lord for long johns.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 21, 2015 05:48

Hairball

Eddystone rock

"A recently discovered Tasmanian Big Wave spot lying 26 kilometres off the south coast near Pedra Blanca. The main wave breaks to the east of Pedra Blanca near a bathymetric feature called Eddystone rock. Featured in the Tom Carroll, Ross Clarke Jones documentary "StormSurfers". If you're heading out here to surf, you'll either be one of the handful of guys in the world that can tow-in to these monsters, or have a death wish".

Photo: Andrew Chisholm

Marti Paradisis at Eddystone Rock: “This is a image that won the biggest wave in Australia for 2012".
Photographer Andrew Chisholm

thumbs up Awesome shot! He looks in pretty good position to survive that one. Pretty mean looking lip. Yikes. Hate to get worked by that one.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: November 21, 2015 05:56

first snow

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 21, 2015 12:06

Windy in Hertfordshire. At home with two broken bones in my hand.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 21, 2015 13:47

Cold howling wind, snow on it's way. A bit colder than last summer but no huge difference in other words.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 21, 2015 14:01

Green Lady

[www.theguardian.com]

If I remember rightly, when I was a kid in Hong Kong, a storm (typhoon) had to have a defined eye/eyewall to get a name.........it looks like Britain will get "a bit of a change in the weather" Clodagh next.........spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2015 16:53

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Green Lady

[www.theguardian.com]

That's ridiculous. The Weather Channel - which, the past few years, hardly shows anything about the weather and is more interested in stupid reality shows that are complete bunk - started naming winter storms in the US a few years back. Some people even though it was be good for "raising awareness", even though I'm pretty sure "A blizzard is about to leave the Midwest and will dump a ton of snow on the Great Lakes from Chicago to Cleveland" is just as "raising awareness" as some stupid name and the fact that the National Weather Service gave TWC no mind at all and will not name winter storms, that only tropical systems will be named... winter storms across a continent go west to east, there is no wandering around like tropical storms do.

The personification of weather storms, trying to understand the reasons and implications of it, coming up short. Perhaps they will start giving all these bad storms Islamic names in order to subliminally brainwash us or something.

"The storm Osama in the Bin Laden front is about to hit the western seaboard with incredible force. Everybody should hunker down inside with fear and horror, your government has this under control and we will inform you when it's ok to go outside again." grinning smiley

You left out "shelter in place" and "packing winds"...

Date: November 21, 2015 17:03

desertblues68
Windy in Hertfordshire. At home with two broken bones in my hand.

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly, blues.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 21, 2015 17:09

It's sure lookin' to be a cold, cold winter here in London (and my feet been draggin' across the ground)

Date: November 21, 2015 18:05

The winter arrived.........yesterday and today hail......... and temperature went from +/- 14 C the last couple of weeks to 8 C

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 21, 2015 18:07

It's turning very cold this week in London but summer starts again in February when I touch down in Rio for the stones.

Nate cool smiley

Date: November 28, 2015 17:43

Ancient ocean found under Chesapeake Bay

In this view, looking east from a tower of the westbound span of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, a tugboat tows a barge south on the Chesapeake Bay on Jan. 30, 2002.(Photo: Roberto Borea, Associated Press)

The remains of a salty ocean ancient enough for dinosaurs to have drowned in it have been found deep in the sediment under the Chesapeake Bay.

The seawater — believed to be 100 to 150 million years old — was isolated, trapped a half-mile underground, and preserved with the help of an asteroid that smashed into the area around 35 million years ago, creating a huge crater.

The watery fossil holds around 3 trillion gallons, and is "the oldest large body of ancient seawater in the world," according to government hydrologists who made the amazing find while mapping the ancient crater under Virginia's Cape Charles.

"We weren't looking for ancient seawater," the lead researcher tells the Washington Post, calling the find "surprising."

The underground seawater, twice as salty as that found in today's oceans, comes from a time when "the Atlantic was a smaller ocean," the lead researcher tells NPR. "It had only been in existence for about 50 million years and it was isolated from the rest of the world's oceans. It had its own salinity and its salinity was changing at a different rate and by different amounts from the rest of the global oceans."

But while the distinct chemical signature of the Cretaceous-era ocean has been preserved, the remnants are scattered among countless cracks and pores, meaning any ancient ocean life is very unlikely to have survived.

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 28, 2015 19:38

latebloomer
Ancient ocean found under Chesapeake Bay

In this view, looking east from a tower of the westbound span of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, a tugboat tows a barge south on the Chesapeake Bay on Jan. 30, 2002.(Photo: Roberto Borea, Associated Press)

The remains of a salty ocean ancient enough for dinosaurs to have drowned in it have been found deep in the sediment under the Chesapeake Bay.

The seawater — believed to be 100 to 150 million years old — was isolated, trapped a half-mile underground, and preserved with the help of an asteroid that smashed into the area around 35 million years ago, creating a huge crater.

The watery fossil holds around 3 trillion gallons, and is "the oldest large body of ancient seawater in the world," according to government hydrologists who made the amazing find while mapping the ancient crater under Virginia's Cape Charles.

"We weren't looking for ancient seawater," the lead researcher tells the Washington Post, calling the find "surprising."

The underground seawater, twice as salty as that found in today's oceans, comes from a time when "the Atlantic was a smaller ocean," the lead researcher tells NPR. "It had only been in existence for about 50 million years and it was isolated from the rest of the world's oceans. It had its own salinity and its salinity was changing at a different rate and by different amounts from the rest of the global oceans."

But while the distinct chemical signature of the Cretaceous-era ocean has been preserved, the remnants are scattered among countless cracks and pores, meaning any ancient ocean life is very unlikely to have survived.

[www.usatoday.com]

That's amazing, there's a similar smaller one under Antartica too.

I read a few months back that Manhattan and the surrounding area is what's left of some 30,000 ft mountains. that's why the bedrock of Manhattan is so hard, because of the weight of the mountain that was on top of it compressed the soil and rock below it.
Another fascinating trivia fact I read was that the Isle of Wight in the UK was once lifted clear of the sea so that it was joined to the mainland. This happened during the last ice age. The weight of the ice on Scotland lifted southern Britain up like a see-saw, so the sea level dropped away.
When the ice melted, the Isle of Wight settled back into it's now familiar postion in the sea.

Date: November 28, 2015 23:46

It is amazing, Eddie. I grew up swimming in the Chesapeake, the bridge span was the view in my backyard. Wild to think that an ancient ocean was under my feet when I used to drop to the bottom of the bay, dodging jelly fish on the way down.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 29, 2015 06:40

It's freeeEEEEEEeeeeeezing here!

ok, it's not literally freezing in San Francisco, but it feels freezing, for us.

"Frost advisories and freeze warnings will start Friday night for all areas except San Francisco....nighttime readings dropping to the mid-30s in the East Bay and along the coast. The coldest areas are expected to be in the South Bay and East Bay valleys, with the mercury dropping into the 20s."

And this just in "Coastal areas, San Francisco and areas around San Francisco Bay may get frost between 11 p.m. tonight and 9 a.m. Sunday, NWS officials said."

I moved here from Maine, and most of my family is in Maine and NH, so I shouldn't be shivering, but you get used to where you are--and this is unusual!

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-29 06:41 by swiss.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 29, 2015 16:54

Over here in Paphos, Cyprus it's been about 22C and mainly sunshine. >grinning smiley<

Cold mornings and evenings, but can't complain.

Showers forecast for tomorrow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 5, 2015 19:22

We're now up to Desmond on the new storm-alphabet - and Desmond is a stinker if you live in Cumbria (I don't, thank goodness). Gales, floods, the works.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-05 19:30 by Green Lady.

Date: December 23, 2015 01:46

NICOS
November 21, 2015
The winter arrived.........yesterday and today hail......... and temperature went from +/- 14 C the last couple of weeks to 8 C

22th of December one month later it, went up to 13.5 C another record this month....well it safe us a lot of heating costs

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2015 01:56

A thin white blanket on the ground here in northern Sweden. Temperatures mostly on the plus scale (Celsius) though, I'm afraid.
An ideal Christmas should be around -5 to -10 C and plenty of newly-fallen snow. Like they used to be...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 02:02

An unreal winter in Michigan. It will be 14 C tomorrow! usually it is -20! El Nino.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2015 07:22

23 December 2015

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home