Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 54
Re: London O2 Arena Nov. 25 show updates
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:33

Still on a Stones high from last night. What a show!!!

From the King Kong inspired drummers in the crowd pre-show to the unexpected opener* to the double whammy of Paint It Black/Gimme Shelter, the guitar flash of Jeff Beck (I hadn't expected to enjoy his bit as much as I did), Out of Control, Bill on IORR, the 2 new songs, Mick T on bottleneck on Midnight Rambler, and to the closing outro of warhorses it was LOUD, tight and great.

No signs of rust or fatigue in this band. And thank god Keith was okay.

Let's raise an early toast to their 60th anniversary tour!

*I deliberately avoided reading any leaks on what was expected to come up

Date: November 26, 2012 18:36

Great review, Gazza! Nice to read that they played well, and coming from you, that really says a lot.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:37

GravityBoy
Hanns Rainsch
YCAWGWYW (wow!)

That is just fantastic.

I've never been a big fan of that song live (too draggy).. but that does it justice.

Mick's vocal is spot on.

Beautiful.

I've never liked the song. But in all honestly, last night the performance of that song last night made the hairs on my neck stand.

Date: November 26, 2012 18:39

johnnythunders
Re going to the fence. Forget it! We tried 3 times and got threatened with expulsion. Even during the encore you could not do it. On our side (Keith side) the only people standing at the fence were those who had seats in the front row.

I could not believe how docile the crowd was in A3, even compared to 2007. If lots of people had moved into the aisle for the last few numbers it would have been OK, but everyone stayed absolutely in their pre-designatedplaces...

Hey Johnnythunders, we were a bit more laid back over in A1 where people could go to the rail but not in front of the aisle. Things were reasonably animated too, probably more due to the group of French twenty-somethings who had blagged their way there from the back of the arena and were totally in to their first Stones gig rather than the others with VIP badges stuck to various parts of their anatomy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:39

LastStopThisTown

I've never liked the song. But in all honestly, last night the performance of that song last night made the hairs on my neck stand.

Your neck hairs got tickets too? This is so unfair!!!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:53

Manofwealthandtaste
johnnythunders
Re going to the fence. Forget it! We tried 3 times and got threatened with expulsion. Even during the encore you could not do it. On our side (Keith side) the only people standing at the fence were those who had seats in the front row.

I could not believe how docile the crowd was in A3, even compared to 2007. If lots of people had moved into the aisle for the last few numbers it would have been OK, but everyone stayed absolutely in their pre-designatedplaces...

Hey Johnnythunders, we were a bit more laid back over in A1 where people could go to the rail but not in front of the aisle. Things were reasonably animated too, probably more due to the group of French twenty-somethings who had blagged their way there from the back of the arena and were totally in to their first Stones gig rather than the others with VIP badges stuck to various parts of their anatomy.

Well, you have to remember that lots of these people with VIP badges are promoter/band invitees (who may not even be fans). I've got the front row in A3 Thursday, so I'll be hanging on that rail, but maybe I'll wear a suit and tie, and check my email messages in between songs, so I'll fit in.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:57

Silver Dagger

Had a heart time in the Pilot and finally met the irrepressible Rockman plus Gazza, Paulywaul, Manofwealthandtaste, Dandylion Powderman, Mr Jimmy and many other good IORRers. Will upload pix tomorrow.

It's stories like these, iorr'ers getting together, that make me glad the Stones played last night more than anything.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:57

Any interraction between Mick & Keith? Even when relations are strained there's normally a moment when they share a look or a smile.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: November 26, 2012 18:59

Congratulations to all fans in O2. Everything sounds great. I can't wait news for the new 2013 tour!!!

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:03

Justin

I never knew this song could be this good!

Ronnie totally nails it. (And Keith's not bad either.)

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:05

Hope the Stones come back to germany in 2013! What a GREAT concert last night in London.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:15

Just arrived home from London, and still in awe of last night's show! As much as I was looking forward to it, I still had some reservations about whether they'd cut it, but they went after the first song. For me, Mick Taylor on MR was worth the ticket on its own - and my train fare and anything else! I loved Doom and Gloom too - it showed they're still a band and not just some nostalgia act. Saying that though, couldn't believe how fresh the old songs sounded, What a night!!!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:15

Mick Jagger is really a great great frontman !

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:30

LastStopThisTown
drbryant
From the Clash Music review:

"The return of ex-guitarist Mick Taylor - whose exit from the band in 1974 paved the way for Wood - proved the highlight of the whole gig. Always their best guitarist, and the player who contributed to the Stones' peak era of 1969 to 1972, his effortless weaving of 'Midnight Rambler' alongside Ronnie and Keith injected the song with an authentic bite of its original, and every bit as good as the scathing 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' live 1969 version."

Damn. Someone, anyone, please post a video

smiling smiley i think most people were stunned and stopped filming.
He was great, playful almost, took center stage, which seeing the old clips he never seemed to do. I'm not a huge guitar solo fan, so it did go on a bit eye rolling smiley, but that's just a personal thing anyway. As he walked off stage he just shrugged his shoulders at Lisa, which was funny, a bit like, "well, hope that went OK!".

I was seated above where Keith's family were standing and Taylor came and joined them for the end of the show. He looked very animated, as well he might. That Midnight Rambler was a shop stopper for me, along with YCAGWYW. Because we were so close, I could see the choir on Keith's side assembling in the dark before the lights went up again and realised what they were going to do. I felt tears welling up and the performance more than lived up to that emotion. Also thankful for a very tight Honky Tonk Women (one of my favourite tracks but often ragged live) and the best Paint it Black I ever heard so far. Truly worth every penny.

I am torn - I would love them to tour again, not least so more people could get the chance to experience this, but realism tells me part of the reason this was so good is that they are rested, unjaded by multiple performances and not 'dialing it in' because it's such a limited run. MJ is phenomenal but there is no way his voice and physical energy could hold up long-term going at that tilt on a regular basis, if he is actually human. Still, maybe not a time for realism. I hope those going on Thursday enjoy it as much. We are privileged to have the chance.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:30

Just got home after one of the most memorable concerts in my life. It was probably the best prepared, bravest and freshest version of The Stones I've ever seen. They were all focused, sharp and the energy from the band was unbelivable. I bought some english newspapers at Heathrow this morning, all they wrote about was ticket prices, how they look like tortoises etc. Some of the articles seemed to have been written before the show. If they'd been inside the arena last night, they would know that the Stones were on FIRE and given 50 out of 50 stars.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:38

Just came back from London with Toomuchforme and EdithGrovre. Who could have expected The Stones to such a high level. A pêrfect setlist, a great sound, a band to its normal size. A great, great Keith. A JJF to be remembered. The momentum was Midnight Rambler. What an enormous joy to see Mick Taylor there. And Bill...He did a perfect job.

We read in the eurostar, Gaza report. Nothing to add. All is there.

Thanks to this Band.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:47

GAZZA.

What a masterful use of text and sentiment.

Truly a review for the ages.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 26, 2012 19:51

currently uploading MR in hd...far from the stage but you will enjoy it

Gazza described exactly how the show was.
No more smoking or drinks behind. Everyone focused. No vegas sound like in the past. Great guests (Beck plays too loud). No fireworks or bullshit like that. Just excellent music and setlist. Maybe a final jam on a blues hit was missing but it would not fit with 02 and crowd attending.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:00

toomuchforme
currently uploading MR in hd...far from the stage but you will enjoy it

I am waiting... ting ting... Oh we're waiting!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:03

Tick tock time to rock........with MT on Rambler

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:08

Wow, this version of I Wanna Be Your Man is great. Ronnie is in top shape and Keith is really, really good too. Can't wait for the Newark shows!!!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:11

look how many songs complete I will upload
[www.iorr.org]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:34

Here's another thing I noticed last night. The Les Pauls are back. I can't remember the last time when Keith and Ronnie used them so much. And I like it yes I do!

Posted by: hauke ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:36

paid tons of money for being in the first row in the pit. worth every penny. bill wyman and his wife were watching everything at the entrance to the pit. i managed to get a photo of my wife with bill.
great stuff...

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:39

Oh gee, The Stones played 23 songs and for over 2 hours. The band sounded fantastic! Mick sounded and looked great. Was not out of breath at all. Ronnie and Keith played great and Charlie was, well, Charlie.

Where are all the whiners and complainers now?????????

I can't wait for the 15th in Newark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:40

rambler44
Oh gee, The Stones played 23 songs and for over 2 hours. The band sounded fantastic! Mick sounded and looked great. Was not out of breath at all. Ronnie and Keith played great and Charlie was, well, Charlie.

Did you have VIP entrance ? or normal pit tickets ?

Benjamin.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:45

rambler44

They're over on the thread complaining about the set list!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:51

did the 25 song Wembley production rehearsal mirror the printed setlist exactly or were there some differences?

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:51

you are probably right!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:52

Send It To me

Now that settles it - definitely something the matter with the sound on that number because in 113 that vocal couldn't be heard above the guitars.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 54

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home