Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Toronto Phoenix (Live, 2005)
Date: October 24, 2012 14:59

Yep, Deltics made a back cover, I think..

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 24, 2012 15:03

[email protected]
Has anyone Come up with Artwork for this yet?

Four to choose from here:
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 24, 2012 15:45

Just heard the concert. Much better than Tokyo due to the upfront guitar mix. Musically a mediocre concert - lacking tension in 19th Breakdown and at the end from TD onwards. At the beginning somewhat messy (Rough Justice), Get Up, Stand Up and Pitiful are really akward efforts of the Rolling Stones Big Band and completely superfluous, highlights are Dead Flowers, Back of My Hand. In my personal ranking the fourth place behind LA Friday, Brussels, Hampton.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 24, 2012 16:03

RobertJohnson
Get Up, Stand Up and Pitiful are really akward efforts of the Rolling Stones Big Band and completely superfluous

I would say it is the opposite: that sort of songs suit rather well to the resources of "The Rolling Stones Big Band". It is another thing if one likes at all The Stones being like that...

- Doxa

Date: October 24, 2012 16:09

She's So Cold
Dead Flowers
Back Of My Hand
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Infamy
Oh No Not You Again
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful

all sound fantastic, imo - Breakdown is interesting and pretty well-played.

The warhorses sound tired, though...

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 24, 2012 16:13

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:25 by vudicus.

Date: October 24, 2012 16:23

Doxa
RobertJohnson
Get Up, Stand Up and Pitiful are really akward efforts of the Rolling Stones Big Band and completely superfluous

I would say it is the opposite: that sort of songs suit rather well to the resources of "The Rolling Stones Big Band". It is another thing if one likes at all The Stones being like that...

- Doxa

... "Get Up, Stand up and Pitiful are efforts of the really awkward Rolling Stones Big Band" ... renders it more precisely.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 24, 2012 16:43

RobertJohnson
Doxa
RobertJohnson

- Doxa

... "Get Up, Stand up and Pitiful are efforts of the really awkward Rolling Stones Big Band" ... renders it more precisely.

true that. these versions sound like some generic british band trying to play marley and otis note-for-note...the sign of a band hanging on for dear life....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 24, 2012 16:47

Sounds like the general consensus is that this is a pretty uneven album.

I guess they felt they needed a release to represent the 'current' state of the band, and unfortunately have done so.

Date: October 24, 2012 16:49

StonesTod
RobertJohnson
Doxa
RobertJohnson

- Doxa

true that. these versions sound like some generic british band trying to play marley and otis note-for-note...the sign of a band hanging on for dear life....

... lying six feet under ...

Date: October 24, 2012 16:53

treaclefingers
Sounds like the general consensus is that this is a pretty uneven album.

I guess they felt they needed a release to represent the 'current' state of the band, and unfortunately have done so.

Oh, but it's way better than that!

Only Rough Justice (trainwreck, but a beautiful one) and the warhorses are crap.

Even if one doesn't enjoy the soul/reggae-covers, these are extremely well-played and swinging. And the sound on this release is fantastic.

Perhaps the best Dead Flowers ever, and certainly the best Back Of My Hand and Oh No Not You Again. The latter is excellently performed, and I don't even like this song!

Date: October 24, 2012 17:33

a well-played crummy song = a crummy song. sorry, i know i promised no math today, but still....

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 24, 2012 20:13

What cover songs have they been practicing lately, anybody know? Sorry I haven't read through all this. I'd love to hear some Etta James. I liked the covers on Toronto Phoenix.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 24, 2012 20:28

StonesTod
a well-played crummy song = a crummy song. sorry, i know i promised no math today, but still....

Agreed. Good performances of crummy songs are in abundance, not by the Stones, but generally.

The other way around – a crummy performance of a good song – is actually a different matter. A lot of enjoyable ones there.

Date: October 24, 2012 22:21

LieB
StonesTod

Agreed. Good performances of crummy songs are in abundance, not by the Stones, but generally.

The other way around – a crummy performance of a good song – is actually a different matter.

yeah, well now you're getting into multivariable advanced calculus

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 24, 2012 22:25

RobertJohnson
Just heard the concert. Much better than Tokyo due to the upfront guitar mix. Musically a mediocre concert - lacking tension in 19th Breakdown and at the end from TD onwards. At the beginning somewhat messy (Rough Justice), Get Up, Stand Up and Pitiful are really akward efforts of the Rolling Stones Big Band and completely superfluous, highlights are Dead Flowers, Back of My Hand. In my personal ranking the fourth place behind LA Friday, Brussels, Hampton.

Yeah, this is not a good show. Sloppy, awkward, Mick sounds like a duck with its nostrils plugged. Guitars aren't meshing. And the horrible, awful version of 19th nervous breakdown.

This is a band with no dynamics, plowing through the stuff sounding tired and bored. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 24, 2012 22:27

jamesfdouglas
I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

mhm. but then i say that about stuff i like, too....

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: October 24, 2012 22:32

I hope somedays ABCKO will open all their archives , for me the real treasure
of the Rolling Stones is here, in the sixties.cool smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 25, 2012 03:36

Yeah, 60's stuff certainly seems the most scarce. I'd love to hear something from 1967, if it exists.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 25, 2012 11:22

Well I've just downloaded it and find it a true listen once and discard item. For the first time in this archive series I don't think it worth even the measly download fee. Anyway, I'm grateful for the reminder that the current Stones live is not worth the asking price.

Posted by: opj ()
Date: October 25, 2012 11:58

Over the past year "The Rolling Stones", have given their fans 6 great live albums, from 6 different tours. I think all those negative "fans" should find another artist to listen to, what about Lady Gaga or Pink, I think that must be something for you. I love "The Stones", and that's that.

Date: October 25, 2012 11:59

opj
Over the past year "The Rolling Stones", have given their fans 6 great live albums, from 6 different tours. I think all those negative "fans" should find another artist to listen to, what about Lady Gaga or Pink, I think that must be something for you. I love "The Stones", and that's that.

Best post of the month! thumbs up

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 12:02

DandelionPowderman
opj

Best post of the month! thumbs up

Ditto! smileys with beer

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: October 25, 2012 12:37

same here, best post stop bitching and move one to Lady Gaga or whatever else maybe Bieder ?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 25, 2012 13:10

I like it: it's better than Tokyo, as it has a nice charm. It's better than Shine A LIght, as there's a neat contrast between this, at the beginning, and Shine A Light at the end.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 25, 2012 13:37

opj

So if one finds some negative sides of this 2005 concert and also think it's not worth listening to more than once, one "should move on to Lady Gaga" ? She's on a higher level you mean? Could be
I take it that it doesn't matter how the band play, as long it is "played by the Rolling Stones" ? Okay...that makes sense

"Given the fans 6 great live albums".....the main complaint among us is that we had 4 of them in nearly perfect quality allready. You would have had them too, if you had any interest in finding them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-25 13:43 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 25, 2012 13:43

Erik_Snow
opj

So if one doesn't care for this 2005 concert, one "should move on to Lady Gaga" ? Duh! So it doesn't matter how the band play, as long it is "played by the Rolling Stones" ? Okay...that makes sense

"Given the fans 6 great live albums".....the main complaint among us is that we had 4 of them in nearly perfect quality allready. You would have had them too, if you had any interest in finding them.

Did you have Toronto in that good quality already?

Date: October 25, 2012 13:45

DandelionPowderman

Of course not, DP, nobody did. Together with Brussels, it's the only "new thing" in this series. One listen was enough for me though, despite the great soundquality....quality alone isn't enough

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-25 13:45 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 25, 2012 13:47

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Of course not, DP, nobody did. Together with Brussels, it's the only "new thing" in this series. One listen was enough for me though, despite the great soundquality....quality alone isn't enough

I'm not that much into collecting boots anymore, that's why I asked.

I think the renditions of Dead Flowers, Back Of My Hand and the covers make this a worthy release - a good document of today's Stones on a good night.

Date: October 25, 2012 14:01

DandelionPowderman
I think the renditions of Dead Flowers, Back Of My Hand and the covers make this a worthy release - a good document of today's Stones on a good night.

Back of my Hand is quite nice, yes. THey should have kept it in the setlist.

Meanwhile this is a "good document" of the ABB tour, I agree, we have it so well documented on official CDs and DVDs allready - so I really didn't think this was necessary to put out. Especially since the listenablility of this tour is very very limited, IMO.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home