Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:36

Keith sounds ready for a tour! smoking smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:37

Koen

I'm not at all convinced.

Date: October 11, 2012 13:41

Dreamer
Koen

I'm not at all convinced.

But they will bring some news about that next week...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:41

Love it. Hard-on right here.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 11, 2012 13:42

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:43

FRACKING great .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:45

Pretty good, expected worse.

Date: October 11, 2012 13:49

Great reviews in the norwegian press:

[www.vg.no]

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:50

love it love it love it

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:52

after only ten listens, my tentative opinion:

in recent years, its been mostly mick's songs that have saved the day. but this
time, if the day is gonna be saved, for me, its gonna have to be by keith, with
his song. i liked don't stop, and keys to your heart, and the other one, and
almost all of a bigger bang, quite a lot, but this one...

it has not so far produced any elation.

(but on the other hand, for what its worth, neither has it produced any doom
nor gloom)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:56

neither has it produced any doom nor gloom) .......

That's what they're draggin' ya away from

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:00

spain73
Doxa
spain73
"In the style of..." .... that's the Stones style, that's what we like, don't we?
I didn't actually expect a Sex Pistols or Paul Simon's style song...
We expected good rock and roll and that's what we get... Of course, it's not Brown Sugar or Tumblin' Dice but it's a good song anyway.

I think it is little 'out of the box' actually. Yeah, they have put there samples of the trademark Keef-riffing (played by anyone) for even the most stupid listeners to remind that it is "The Stones, man", but still it is not a typical Stones rocker, thanks basically of that rhythm track (and some 'ZZ Toppian' guitars).

I give my credits for that: the Stones not blindly copying themselves and trying to sound as 'authentic' as they can - we had that enough of that in A BIGGER BANG, thank you.

- Doxa

Any "authentic" song in the last decade? In the last 25 years maybe? If "authentic" means Exile or Beggar's, forget about it... that time will NEVER come back again. That's a fact, we must not expect that again... we love these boys and they keep makin' good songs in their seventies... That's all.

I meant "authenticity" in their sound and style - sounding like what people think they should sound like on order to sound like 'authentic' or 'classic' Stones. A BIGGER BANG is full of that: like pointing out the very distinguished parts - type of songs, Keith's riffs, Jagger's vocals, Charlie's drums, and yaeh a bit of Ronnie's slide - that everyone can clearly hear that is teh 'authentic' Stones style. The result is a huge pastishe bag of cliches without any spark of creativity or inspiration. This new song manages slightly better. Not much though.

I haer that kind of "box-thinking" in some people's worries that "where is Charlie?", etc. Shit, did anyone ask that when "Sympathy For The Devil" was relaesed? Or "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

- Doxa

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:01

Rockman
neither has it produced any doom nor gloom) .......

That's what they're draggin' ya away from

i keep playing it louder and louder

but its not working

maybe its just me

i'll try it again tomorrow

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:02

Great rock and roll! I doubt they could do anything that would satisfy some folks here. What is not to like about a great straight forward rocker. The production is great! It sounds analog and murky. Very nice job!

Date: October 11, 2012 14:02

Doxa
spain73
Doxa
spain73
"In the style of..." .... that's the Stones style, that's what we like, don't we?
We expected good rock and roll and that's what we get... Of course, it's not Brown Sugar or Tumblin' Dice but it's a good song anyway.

I think it is little 'out of the box' actually. Yeah, they have put there samples of the trademark Keef-riffing (played by anyone) for even the most stupid listeners to remind that it is "The Stones, man", but still it is not a typical Stones rocker, thanks basically of that rhythm track (and some 'ZZ Toppian' guitars).

I give my credits for that: the Stones not blindly copying themselves and trying to sound as 'authentic' as they can - we had that enough of that in A BIGGER BANG, thank you.

- Doxa

Any "authentic" song in the last decade? In the last 25 years maybe? If "authentic" means Exile or Beggar's, forget about it... that time will NEVER come back again. That's a fact, we must not expect that again... we love these boys and they keep makin' good songs in their seventies... That's all.

I meant "authenticity" in their sound and style - sounding like what people think they should sound like on order to sound like 'authentic' or 'classic' Stones. A BIGGER BANG is full of that: like pointing out the very distinguished parts - type of songs, Keith's riffs, Jagger's vocals, Charlie's drums, and yaeh a bit of Ronnie's slide - that everyone can clearly hear that is teh 'authentic' Stones style. The result is a huge pastishe bag of cliches without any spark of creativity or inspiration. This new song manages slightly better. Not much though.

I haer that kind of "box-thinking" in some people's worries that "where is Charlie?", etc. Shit, did anyone ask that when "Sympathy For The Devil" was relaesed? Or "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

- Doxa

No but those songs were something NEW...and Doom And Gloom is eh...well, it's from McDonalds or something like that.

Date: October 11, 2012 14:07

Sometimes it's good just enjoying some new classic rock'n'roll.

This is one of those times smileys with beer

We don't need to be overwhelmed or mesmerized by the Stones - good music cuts it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 14:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 11, 2012 14:09

Mathijs
After listening to D&G several times now, I must say I get bored with it quite fast...

Mathijs

Well, unfortunately same here... After the first thrill and some repeated listenings in trying to make sense out of it, of its different tracks, parts, arrangements, ideas, etc. the cruel fact seems to remain that the song itself lacks substance. Sounds strangely thin and artificial. Through the motions.

But I will give it time to see if it grows on me or not.

- Doxa

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:12

whitem8
Great rock and roll! I doubt they could do anything that would satisfy some folks here. What is not to like about a great straight forward rocker. The production is great! It sounds analog and murky. Very nice job!

thumbs up

Date: October 11, 2012 14:13

Doxa
Mathijs
After listening to D&G several times now, I must say I get bored with it quite fast...

Mathijs

Well, unfortunately same here... After the first thrill and some repeated listenings in trying to make sense out of it, of its different tracks, parts, arrangements, ideas, etc. the cruel fact seems to remain that the song itself lacks substance. Sounds strangely thin and artificial. Through the motions.

But I will give it time to see if it grows on me or not.

- Doxa

And after a few spins of I Just Wanna See His Face, what did you come up with? winking smiley

Seriously, it's a groovy rock'n'roll-tune. It's fun to analyze music, but my guess is that this one is suppose to hit your gut and make you move, not think too much smileys with beer

Posted by: JK ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:18

Play it loud!

Date: October 11, 2012 14:24

Dreamer
Doxa
spain73
Doxa
spain73

- Doxa

- Doxa

No but those songs were something NEW...and Doom And Gloom is eh...well, it's from McDonalds or something like that.

Exactly, but the issue is not having Charlie there or not, but that if the song is a good or not. With this case - the song itself being nothing but a medocre 'by the numbers' piece of art Jagger does half-sleep - I guess the thinking was something like: "okay, let's try something else for change and not sound so damn retro all the time. Let's see if that makes the song more insteersting". Well, the actual result sounds to my ears now like a make-up, and not really substantive move to craete something novel.

Anyway, that trick did it for me - but my expectations were barely based on their half from output of last 11 yaers or so. I was briefly positively surprised.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 14:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:25

( Repost with additions )

It's a solid track in the vein of "High Wire". I hear everyone on this,
and LOVE that there's a strong football stadium stomp to it. Pick it apart,
"is it Charlie or is it Memorex?" is pointless ... we know they've used drum
machines before in a very deliberate way, here it's up front in the mix but
comes off organically ... note the "organic" handclapping which was NOT the
form or norm in The '80s when even John Fogerty, JOHN FOGERTY!!!, stooped
to using fake clapping on "Centerfield".

Net: "D+G" may not be "Jumpin' Jack Flash", but it's strong stuff, a rocker
as good if not better than "Rough Justice", which sounded fantastic with Wood
putting on a good slide performance, if not sounding as if a Stones / Faces
collaboration outright. This is one of the most aggressive rhythm performances
they've ever produced. Drums, front and center!

( As I hoped, Charlie owns this one. ABOUT TIME. Go Charlie!!! )

PS: A new geetar sound is in thar ... dunno who, possibly Keith? Kinda reminds me
of MT's noodling on "If You Can't Rock Me". Look here, they didn't go techno or whatever
crap trend is out there, they stuck to the Stones playbook.

It rocks. It rolls. It's The Rollin' Stones, man!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:26

Nice song. Sounds like it could have been on ABB.

Date: October 11, 2012 14:28

Dreamer
Doxa
spain73
Doxa
spain73

- Doxa

- Doxa

Was samba-rock and choir song/gospel ballads new in 1968??

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:29

Doxa
Exactly, but the issue is not having Charlie there or not, but that if the song is a good or not.

Charlie being there yes or no also hints to the Stones still being a working band yes or no. The sessions in London and NY, then in Paris, all where recieved with mixed feelings. Some said the Stones where rehearsing, others (me) where afraid the sessions where for something completely else, that there wheren't even sessions, and the especially Richards is a spent force.

This GD track isn't really a showcase of the Stones as a 'working' band, as it sounds very much like a Jagger solo track, or a left-over from ABB, and if Charlie and Richards are present on the recording it is very minimal. Wood's parts could be Wood, but it also could be any session player.

Mathijs

Date: October 11, 2012 14:32

The way they did it? Oh yes!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:34

what's great about this tune is that finally...after so many tepid...even shlockey tunes... you want to just get up and boogey....and that's what the Stones are about....they make you want to get up and dance...good for them!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:37

Doxa
I meant "authenticity" in their sound and style - sounding like what people think they should sound like on order to sound like 'authentic' or 'classic' Stones. A BIGGER BANG is full of that: like pointing out the very distinguished parts - type of songs, Keith's riffs, Jagger's vocals, Charlie's drums, and yaeh a bit of Ronnie's slide - that everyone can clearly hear that is teh 'authentic' Stones style. The result is a huge pastishe bag of cliches without any spark of creativity or inspiration. This new song manages slightly better. Not much though.- Doxa
Yeah, it's at least better, as in being a tad more "spontaneous", than most of ABB, except for "Rain Fall Down" and LIND...which isn't saying much of course.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:39

Posted by: Doxa () Date: October 11, 2012 14:09 Well, unfortunately same here... After the first thrill and some repeated listenings in trying to make sense out of it, of its different tracks, parts, arrangements, ideas, etc. the cruel fact seems to remain that the song itself lacks substance. Sounds strangely thin and artificial. Through the motions. But I will give it time to see if it grows on me or not. - Doxa

Kind of like the Gorilla cover? Lacking substance, fat and artificial.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:41

thumbs down If this is the best they could come up with after 7 years,there is not much hope,just an ok song,the type that Mick can come up with his eyes closed,very average and it will be forgetten in a couple of days,but for those here that are goin gaga over it,great for you..winking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home